PDA

View Full Version : Which College has translated the best to the NBA?

jhondog28
11-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Just thought with all the downer threads of late I would introduce a poll and see what your thoughts were about which college translates the best into the NBA? I just picked 8 off the top of my head and realized I put other but allowed write in votes so ignore the other button and just write in.

pacer4ever
11-08-2010, 05:15 PM
UNC

or UCLA

flox
11-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Wake Forest or Marquette.

Kstat
11-08-2010, 06:11 PM
North Carolina gets their players drafted with far greater frequency.

Far as producing NBA-ready talent? Probably UConn ,although Thabeet is killing their rep.

Why is Indiana on this list? The last all-star to come out of Bloomington was drafted before I was born.

cdash
11-08-2010, 06:12 PM
I know the answer is not Indiana.

xBulletproof
11-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Why is Indiana on this list?

..... because we live there?

Can't find another worthwhile reason. The last Indiana player who mattered in the NBA was probably that guy that played quite a few games in Detroit.

Eric Gordon doesn't count yet. Don't even say it people. lol

Kstat
11-08-2010, 06:20 PM

Indiana isn't the top NBA factory in Indiana. Purdue has produced two all stars and several solid role players in the last 15 years.

jhondog28
11-08-2010, 06:21 PM

Far as producing NBA-ready talent? Probably UConn ,although Thabeet is killing their rep.

Why is Indiana on this list? The last all-star to come out of Bloomington was drafted before I was born.

I put it on the list mainly because I wanted to pay homage to your in state school. I know they won't matter in the dicussion but felt like it was the polite thing to do.

cdash
11-08-2010, 06:21 PM

Can't find another worthwhile reason. The last Indiana player who mattered in the NBA was probably that guy that played quite a few games in Detroit.

Eric Gordon doesn't count yet. Don't even say it people. lol

Why wouldn't Gordon count yet? Do Jrue Holiday and Darren Collison count for UCLA?

cdash
11-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Indiana isn't the top NBA factory in Indiana. Purdue has produced two all stars and several solid role players in the last 15 years.

Names? Brad Miller and Brian Cardinal are the only ones I can think of. Glenn Robinson?

Kstat
11-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Miller and Robinson were all stars, after that you have Carl Landry and Brian Cardinal.

If you want to go old school, you have Joe Barry Carroll (another #1 pick), Jerry Sichting, Billy Keller and Terry Dischinger.

ChristianDudley
11-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Names? Brad Miller and Brian Cardinal are the only ones I can think of. Glenn Robinson?

Carl Landry would be another one to recently come from Purdue. Not an All-Star, but a solid player.

cdash
11-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Miller and Robinson were all stars, after that you have Carl Landry and Brian Cardinal.

If you want to go old school, you have Joe Barry Carroll (another #1 pick), Jerry Sichting, Billy Keller and Terry Dischinger.

Forgot about Landry. If you want to go old school though, I think Indiana is going to take the cake over Purdue.

Kstat
11-08-2010, 06:36 PM
It would be close.

cdash
11-08-2010, 06:41 PM
It would be close.

Really don't think so. And since when did "several" mean two?

Kegboy
11-08-2010, 07:04 PM
UCLA

When players have an easier time in the Association than they did playing for Howland, that tells you something.

Hibbert
11-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Is IU on here as a joke? I think you should swap out IU, Texas, and Pitt for Georgetown, Kansas, and WF

CableKC
11-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Something to point out....I do not think that it is a coincidence that the majority of the Players that Bird ( and DW ) sought to acquire played in top-notch College Programs with Top Shelf Coaches like the ones mentioned above.

pacer4ever
11-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Is IU on here as a joke? I think you should swap out IU, Texas, and Pitt for Georgetown, Kansas, and WF

GT and Kansas are musts

BRushWithDeath
11-08-2010, 07:18 PM
High school.

pacer4ever
11-08-2010, 07:22 PM
High school.

ya lol oak hill is the best for NBA

jhondog28
11-08-2010, 07:27 PM

I knew I forgot some must have schools. Call it a brain fart or whatever. I knew that was a possibility so i allowed write ins just in case. I would recommend writing those schools in.

cdash
11-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Kentucky is missing too. Really, I think "Calipari" should be his own school.

pacer4ever
11-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Kentucky is missing too. Really, I think "Calipari" should be his own school.

ya "cheaters are us school" hell of a coach thoe for people wanting to play in the nba

Eleazar
11-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Well if you include Jordan Crawford or Robert Vaden as former IU players, and if they turn into anything decent IU would be comparable to Purdue.

Peck
11-08-2010, 09:07 PM

Rick Mount is not amused.

Sookie
11-08-2010, 09:15 PM

LOL, if any scout had asked a Uconn fan whether Thabeet was NBA ready and the 2nd pick.....

Calhoun REALLY upped his draft stock. He was a good defensive player at Uconn, but really...we all would have laughed..

pacer4ever
11-08-2010, 09:16 PM
LOL, if any scout had asked a Uconn fan whether Thabeet was NBA ready and a 2nd round draft pick.....

Calhoun REALLY upped his draft stock. He was a good defensive player at Uconn, but really...we all would have laughed..

u mean 2 pick ??

cdash
11-08-2010, 09:37 PM
LOL, if any scout had asked a Uconn fan whether Thabeet was NBA ready and the 2nd pick.....

I'm not a UConn fan and I could see that. I knew that turkey wasn't going to be a good NBA player. But hey, Larry Bird liked him!

Psyren
11-08-2010, 09:42 PM
IUPUI.

George Hill.

'Nuff Said.

MyFavMartin
11-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Kentucky: Tubby produced some good pros as well: Tayshaun Prince (2 years), Keith Bogans, Chuck Hayes, Rajon Rondo, Kaleena Azubuike, Jamaal Magloire, Nazr Mohammed, and Randolph Morris.

Gillespie had Jodie Meeks and Patrick Patterson.

Pitino had Jamal Mashburn, Tony Delk, Walter McCarty, Mark Pope, Antoine Walker, Ron Mercer, Derek Anderson, Anthony Epps, Scott Padgett, Wayne Turner, Tayshaun Prince, Jules Camara, and Bogans (1 year).

I'm not going further back (Sutton and prior).

We are also quite familiar to what Calipari has done at UK in his short history... UK's been producing pros for a long time and is a big name program that brings in the talent.

Dr. Goldfoot
11-08-2010, 11:04 PM
http://www.82games.com/collegedraftpicks.htm

Last 20 or so years

xBulletproof
11-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Why wouldn't Gordon count yet? Do Jrue Holiday and Darren Collison count for UCLA?

I guess my initial reaction was more about All-Stars or guys who really left a mark in the NBA game. If everyone else is just talking about guys who contribute, he fits.

I was thinking more along the lines of top notch talent. Maybe I went a different way than everyone else.