PDA

View Full Version : Latest Caught in the Web

Pacers4Life
11-08-2010, 12:18 PM
I didn't see it anywhere on here... and I always appreciate when someone else puts it right here for me to see, sooo...

"Pacers Searching for Solutions to Offensive Woes."
By Bruno. November 7th, 2010

Too many turnovers. Too little ball movement. A preponderance of missed layups. Open jumpers gone astray.

You name the problem, the Pacers are confronted with it as their normally prolific offense has sputtered.

In losing their last two games, the Pacers (2-3) averaged 82.5 points, shot 34.8 percent overall and 28.3 percent from the 3-point line. They committed more turnovers (32) than assists (30).

With his team heading into a matchup with Denver Tuesday in Conseco Fieldhouse, Coach Jim O'Brien is pondering solutions to a problem that is surprisingly comprehensive.

<table align="right" width="388"> <tbody> <tr> <td> <object data="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=pacers&videoId=teams/pacers/2010/11/05/101105postgameplayers-1462562" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ep" height="394" width="388">

</object> </td> </tr> </tbody> </table> "We're not creating the tempo I would like to see and it's hurting us for a couple of reasons," he said. "Our whole philosophy has been to be a running team and I don't think we've committed to that yet. We're starting a point guard (Darren Collison) that has never run in college and the pros like I would like to.

"And then we're not getting the ball reversed. If we don't reverse the basketball you don't get it into Roy (Hibbert)'s hands in the secondary offense. I can get the ball into Roy's hands by calling plays but that means we're going to walk the ball up the court. I don't think this team can reach its potential by walking the ball up the court.

"So if we're going to run, the ball needs to move from one side of the court to the other if you can't attack the basket. And when it does we get the basketball to (Hibbert) in the low post or the high post and he's got our best assist-to-turnover ratio, he's a factor inside and outside. If we start to get that type of flow offensively we'll be fine."

O'Brien offered that analysis before the Pacers totaled 30 points on 29.4 percent shooting in the second half of a 94-90 loss to the Bucks Saturday. Hibbert, Collison and Danny Granger, the three players that handle the ball the most, combined for more turnovers (16) than field goals (15).

"Tempo has been down for the last couple of games and that is not the way we play," said Granger. "We have to improve on the turnovers, shoot the ball better and get our shots to drop."

After a quick start in the first three games Granger has gone ice-cold, hitting 8-of-31 (.258) in the last two with nine turnovers. Hibbert had six turnovers against the Bucks and continued to struggle with his shot (.426 for the season). Collison also has shot poorly (.369) and has more turnovers (six) than assists (five) in the last two games.

Even Mike Dunleavy, normally a reliable and productive offensive machine, has struggled. He's shooting just 34.6 percent for the season and is 6-of-25 from the 3-point line.

"I'm not crazy about our offense," O'Brien said after the Milwaukee loss. "I wasn't crazy about it before the game and I'm not crazy about it after the game. We put the ball in Roy's hands and he couldn't finish plays down low. When he tried to be a passer he turned it over. We need to get him a lot of experience at the end of the game and he had to guard (Luc Mbah a Moute) who is very quick to the glass and had six offensive rebounds. We gave the ball to Danny and he missed some open shots and had some key turnovers.

"We just have to figure some things out offensively."

Though frustrated by the early struggle, O'Brien is not entirely surprised. Collison and Josh McRoberts are in their first seasons starting in this system. Hibbert is adapting to a much bigger role within the offensive structure.

"Let's say this: should we be a little further along? I would've hoped we would've been at this point, offensively," said the coach. "I'm not seeing that. I'm not seeing the type of movement that we practice day-in and day-out. And until we get that we're not going to be the offensive team that I envision." <iframe marginwidth="0" name="content" src="http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/buno_blog_iframe.html" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" height="1" scrolling="no" width="1"></iframe>

Honestly haven't even read it yet... can't imagine its anything we haven't discussed or become aware of yet... but whatever. I'll read it, im sure some of you will too (or already have sorry).

Pacers4Life
11-08-2010, 12:27 PM
if you don't normally watch videos... maybe you should watch this one. much like our beloved coach... I appreciate what these guys are saying. And I commend Roy and Danny for manning up and accepting the blame that ultimately, on the court, falls on them. They played terribly and they know that. letrs hope they come out tomorrow with something to prove... because lets face it... they DO.

edit: just clicked the actual video on here and of course it doesn't work. heres the link to the article and the video, idk how to make it actually be here...

http://my.nba.com/cms/indiana_pacers_blogs/caught_in_the_web/155799/pacers_searching_for_solutions_to_offensive_woes

IndyProdigy
11-08-2010, 12:46 PM
I didn't see it anywhere on here... and I always appreciate when someone else puts it right here for me to see, sooo...

"Pacers Searching for Solutions to Offensive Woes."
By Bruno. November 7th, 2010

Too many turnovers. Too little ball movement. A preponderance of missed layups. Open jumpers gone astray.

You name the problem, the Pacers are confronted with it as their normally prolific offense has sputtered.

In losing their last two games, the Pacers (2-3) averaged 82.5 points, shot 34.8 percent overall and 28.3 percent from the 3-point line. They committed more turnovers (32) than assists (30).

With his team heading into a matchup with Denver Tuesday in Conseco Fieldhouse, Coach Jim O'Brien is pondering solutions to a problem that is surprisingly comprehensive.

<table align="right" width="388"> <tbody> <tr> <td> <object data="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=pacers&videoId=teams/pacers/2010/11/05/101105postgameplayers-1462562" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ep" height="394" width="388">

</object> </td> </tr> </tbody> </table> "We're not creating the tempo I would like to see and it's hurting us for a couple of reasons," he said. "Our whole philosophy has been to be a running team and I don't think we've committed to that yet. We're starting a point guard (Darren Collison) that has never run in college and the pros like I would like to.

"And then we're not getting the ball reversed. If we don't reverse the basketball you don't get it into Roy (Hibbert)'s hands in the secondary offense. I can get the ball into Roy's hands by calling plays but that means we're going to walk the ball up the court. I don't think this team can reach its potential by walking the ball up the court.

"So if we're going to run, the ball needs to move from one side of the court to the other if you can't attack the basket. And when it does we get the basketball to (Hibbert) in the low post or the high post and he's got our best assist-to-turnover ratio, he's a factor inside and outside. If we start to get that type of flow offensively we'll be fine."

O'Brien offered that analysis before the Pacers totaled 30 points on 29.4 percent shooting in the second half of a 94-90 loss to the Bucks Saturday. Hibbert, Collison and Danny Granger, the three players that handle the ball the most, combined for more turnovers (16) than field goals (15).

"Tempo has been down for the last couple of games and that is not the way we play," said Granger. "We have to improve on the turnovers, shoot the ball better and get our shots to drop."

After a quick start in the first three games Granger has gone ice-cold, hitting 8-of-31 (.258) in the last two with nine turnovers. Hibbert had six turnovers against the Bucks and continued to struggle with his shot (.426 for the season). Collison also has shot poorly (.369) and has more turnovers (six) than assists (five) in the last two games.

Even Mike Dunleavy, normally a reliable and productive offensive machine, has struggled. He's shooting just 34.6 percent for the season and is 6-of-25 from the 3-point line.

"I'm not crazy about our offense," O'Brien said after the Milwaukee loss. "I wasn't crazy about it before the game and I'm not crazy about it after the game. We put the ball in Roy's hands and he couldn't finish plays down low. When he tried to be a passer he turned it over. We need to get him a lot of experience at the end of the game and he had to guard (Luc Mbah a Moute) who is very quick to the glass and had six offensive rebounds. We gave the ball to Danny and he missed some open shots and had some key turnovers.

"We just have to figure some things out offensively."

Though frustrated by the early struggle, O'Brien is not entirely surprised. Collison and Josh McRoberts are in their first seasons starting in this system. Hibbert is adapting to a much bigger role within the offensive structure.

"Let's say this: should we be a little further along? I would've hoped we would've been at this point, offensively," said the coach. "I'm not seeing that. I'm not seeing the type of movement that we practice day-in and day-out. And until we get that we're not going to be the offensive team that I envision." <iframe marginwidth="0" name="content" src="http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/buno_blog_iframe.html" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" height="1" scrolling="no" width="1"></iframe>

Honestly haven't even read it yet... can't imagine its anything we haven't discussed or become aware of yet... but whatever. I'll read it, im sure some of you will too (or already have sorry).

That ticks me off. Obrien, we know collison hasnt run ur system, thats why YOUR SYSTEM DOESNT WORK. RUN SYSTEM THAT FITS YOUR PLAYERS RATHER THAN FORCING A SYSTEM THE PLAYERS CANT RUN.

pacer4ever
11-08-2010, 01:00 PM
That ticks me off. Obrien, we know collison hasnt run ur system, thats why YOUR SYSTEM DOESNT WORK. RUN SYSTEM THAT FITS YOUR PLAYERS RATHER THAN FORCING A SYSTEM THE PLAYERS CANT RUN.

when Dc does runs he beats everyone up the court and there is no point he haS TO PULL UP AND WAIT FOR THE REST OF HE TEAM. Mike dunleavy and posey arent meant to play in running systems.

MTM
11-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Five games down, and it's apparent to the coaches and the players as to what the problem is. It's now up to the players and coaches to fix the problems and win. If not, then the players and/or coaches shouldn't be here.

Hicks
11-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Didn't Collison look his best in San Antonio when he didn't play O'Brien's way?

Trophy
11-08-2010, 01:14 PM
I think the other players are helping him play like he wants like setting pick n rolls.

JOB needs to just let him play freely and not force him to race up the court and beat everyone to the basket.

Darren is a good scorer, but he can't be like TJ and race up the court to score.

Sookie
11-08-2010, 02:39 PM
If you are having offensive problems, wouldn't it make sense to play the only PG on the team that understands and can perform in your offense?

And yes, Collison has looked his best when he doesn't run JOB's offense, but makes his own decisions.

IndyProdigy
11-09-2010, 01:22 PM
when Dc does runs he beats everyone up the court and there is no point he haS TO PULL UP AND WAIT FOR THE REST OF HE TEAM. Mike dunleavy and posey arent meant to play in running systems.

huh? collison is best in the pick and roll. ala' Chris Paul?

pacer4ever
11-09-2010, 01:52 PM
huh? collison is best in the pick and roll. ala' Chris Paul?

i know but in JOBs system when he runs the fastbreak no one one eles runs with him. He always beats everyone up the court. I want him to run more PnR but im not the coach.