PDA

View Full Version : Knicks upset about J.O's comments

Unclebuck
02-05-2004, 09:34 AM
This is much to do about nothing, so I thought I would post it :laugh:

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/15312.htm

STEPH, PENNY FIRE BACK

By MARC BERMAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:
Pacer Jermaine O'Neal said Stephon Marbury and the Knicks celebrated too much after beating Indy Tuesday night at Garden and it won't be forgotten.

February 5, 2004 -- It's official. The Pacers and Knicks have reignited their rivalry. Stephon Marbury and Penny Hardaway shot back at Jermaine O'Neal yesterday for crying about the Knicks' final-second celebration Tuesday.
Marbury pointed out O'Neal has never won a playoff series with the Pacers and Hardaway said O'Neal's comment smacked of "immaturity."

Marbury sparked the celebration, running around the court with the ball like a halfback, laughing and swinging his right arm jubilantly.

O'Neal said after the Knicks' victory, "We remember those guys acting like they won the championship, so hopefully the guys on our team will have a long memory about the celebration."

Marbury thought it was a healthy burst of emotion and didn't take kindly to the remark.

"Jermaine O'Neal hasn't won any championships," Marbury said. "If that was Shaquille O'Neal saying it, that's one thing. He has not won one championship. He hasn't won a playoff series playing in Indiana.

"For us, we feel we're making strides," Marbury added. "I'd rather have us feeling like we did (Tuesday) night than to act like we didn't do something. They're a really good team and to beat a really good team from where we came from, we're making steps."

Said Hardaway, "It's immaturity on his part. Anyone can celebrate the way they want to. You lose a game, you've just got to say, hey, they outplayed us. He's too good to be worrying about how we celebrated."

Stryder
02-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Wait. THEY'RE claiming he was the immature one? Good lord. I didn't realize Steph and Penny were THAT stupid.

Exactly.

I say they are the ones exhibiting some immaturity. Act like you've been there before, is what I say.

Now, if this had been a game in the playoffs, then I would understand the celebrations, but it was a damned regular season game.

Hicks
02-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Agree with what's already been said.

But who the hell does Marbury think he is to criticize O'Neal for not being out of the first round of the Pacers? What the hell has he done even close to BEING in the playoffs before last year? Maybe one of the Minnesota teams?

Those guys have things totally backwards. I hope they enjoy their ***-whipping in Indy this April.

Suaveness
02-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Wait. THEY'RE claiming he was the immature one? Good lord. I didn't realize Steph and Penny were THAT stupid.

They funny thing is....I did. You know why? They're from New York. Obviously living in a big city constitutes having a big mouth and a small head. Very fitting for both of them, you see.

efx
02-05-2004, 12:07 PM
You honestly believe that Suaveness?

Shade
02-05-2004, 12:10 PM
My, how the once-proud Knicks have fallen. :shakehead:

Thanks, Suckberry and Penny. You're going DOWN now. :devil:

waxman
02-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Oh its on now...the rivalry is back... I don't remember Steph being that much of a dumbass here in Phx...and Penny...well he hasn't hit important shots like that in 7 or 8 years so he must be feeling good about himself...and thats usually when he says stupid ****...they both need to STFU.

efx
02-05-2004, 12:29 PM
I can actually understand Marbury. He's finally playing on the team he's been wanting to play on since childhood and for that struggling franchise it was their first "good" win. I've been going to knicks games for a few years now and I've never seen the crowd that into it as they were on tuesday. Of course, in the long run it doesn't mean anything but I can definately understand how they could get caught up in the moment.

Harddrive7
02-05-2004, 01:17 PM
"Jermaine O'Neal hasn't won any championships," Marbury said. "If that was Shaquille O'Neal saying it, that's one thing. He has not won one championship. He hasn't won a playoff series playing in Indiana.

What I would like to know is, what the hell does that have to do with what JO said. What does a winning a championship have to do with what JO said?

ChicagoJ
02-05-2004, 01:27 PM
-snip- and Penny...well he hasn't hit important shots like that in 7 or 8 years so he must be feeling good about himself...and thats usually when he says stupid ****...they both need to STFU.

This comment should also make the "biggest p*$$y in the NBA thread". :)

DisplacedKnick
02-05-2004, 04:27 PM
Jermaine should really be concerned with the Pacers. Not sure why he's so obsessed with what the Knicks are doing.

Not sure what the huge celebration was either. Marbury did the fist pump when he was fouled with about 4 seconds left and there were a few high-fives. I didn't think it was horribly excessive - and I went back and watched the tape last night again just to be sure.

Anyway, if JO is that concerned with how the Knicks behave then maybe he needs to re-examine his priorities.

birdman
02-05-2004, 04:27 PM
Stephon Marbury and Penny Hardaway shot back at Jermaine O'Neal yesterday for crying about the Knicks' final-second celebration Tuesday.

That's sounds really cool :laugh:

efx
02-05-2004, 04:43 PM
I thought Marbury said he was the one who was crying.....

Snickers
02-05-2004, 07:57 PM
Ok, Jermaine's a baby for b*tching about them being overexcited, and they're both babies for b*tching about Jermaine's b*tching.

:unimpressed:

Hicks
02-05-2004, 08:30 PM
The only *****ing I see is from the Knicks. JO simply said they overdid it and they'd remember it. He didn't whine about it. He simply pointed it out and implied they'd beat them the next game for it.

They were the ones who wanted to call out credentials and say who was immature.

Suaveness
02-05-2004, 08:34 PM
The only *****ing I see is from the Knicks. JO simply said they overdid it and they'd remember it. He didn't whine about it. He simply pointed it out and implied they'd beat them the next game for it.

They were the ones who wanted to call out credentials and say who was immature.

Yep. Those 2 overreacted. After JO said something, they took offense.

Anthem
02-06-2004, 12:43 AM
JO wants what Reggie has... a rivalry. What better way to win the hearts of Indy than by smashing the Knicks?

The Knicks, by the way, would be an absolutely fantastic second-round series. I'd really like to get the Celtics in the first round, the Knicks in the second, and the Pistons in the third.

Suaveness
02-06-2004, 01:01 AM
JO wants what Reggie has... a rivalry. What better way to win the hearts of Indy than by smashing the Knicks?

The Knicks, by the way, would be an absolutely fantastic second-round series. I'd really like to get the Celtics in the first round, the Knicks in the second, and the Pistons in the third.

I'm inclined to agree with you there....and then beat them all down. I REALLY want to play the celts in the first round.

Anthem
02-06-2004, 01:09 AM

I'm inclined to agree with you there....and then beat them all down. I REALLY want to play the celts in the first round.

Yeah, sorry about that. Let me restate:

Celtics in the first, Knicks in the second, Pistons in the third, and Lakers in the fourth. A chance to lay all of our demons to rest in one year.

Sixteen victories. Is that too much to ask?

Hicks
02-06-2004, 01:11 AM
I think if you substituted the Pistons with the Nets it would then truly be a chance to lay all of our demons to rest in one playoff run.

Pistons are a rival, no doubt, but it's more personal with the Nets. Plus I hate the Nets whereas I merely don't like the Pistons. :devil:

Suaveness
02-06-2004, 01:17 AM
I think if you substituted the Pistons with the Nets it would then truly be a chance to lay all of our demons to rest in one playoff run.

Pistons are a rival, no doubt, but it's more personal with the Nets. Plus I hate the Nets whereas I merely don't like the Pistons. :devil:

That is true

So Celts, Knicks, Nets, And Lakers....all with a good beat down. :dance:

Anthem
02-06-2004, 01:30 AM

That's true, actually. I'd rather lay the hurt on the Knicks. But then the Pistons would say "Well you didn't have to play US...."

Maybe if we beat the Pistons one more time, so we sweep the season series, I'd be ok with the Nets beating the Pistons for the honor of playing us in the third round.