PDA

View Full Version : Report: Rockets Won't Sign Erick Dampier

pacer4ever
11-08-2010, 09:29 AM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/11/08/report-rockets-wont-sign-dampier/

Report: Rockets Won't Sign Erick Dampier.By Brett Pollakoff
NBA Writer | Follow on Twitter: @BrettEP
Text SizeAAAPrint this page|EmailShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on LifestreamErick Dampier is still available. The question now becomes, does any team really care?

Dampier had agreed to sign a one-year deal with the Houston Rockets, his agent told FanHouse back on Oct. 29. But the deal was contingent on the team being able to create a roster spot for him, as it already had 15 players in place. Jermaine Taylor was expected to be the odd man out, but according to a report from Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle, the team informed Taylor on Sunday that he wouldn't be going anywhere, because the Rockets no longer were planning on signing Dampier.

Houston is in need of a center to back up Yao Ming, who is limited medically to around 24 minutes per game, and is currently prohibited from appearing in games played on consecutive nights. Whether it was the Rockets' slow start (the team was 0-5 before finally getting in the win column by crushing the hopeless Timberwolves on Sunday), or something specifically with Dampier that caused the deal to fall through remains, to be seen.

Over his last three seasons, Dampier has been good for in the neighborhood of six points, seven rebounds, and a blocked shot per game in 23 minutes of action. Sure, that kind of production might help a contender here and there, but it's not likely to put anybody over the top and automatically into the NBA Finals.

By his estimation, Dampier has talked with between eight and ten teams about signing this season; he basically had an open invitation to play in Phoenix. The process began in training camp, and we're now a couple of weeks into the regular season, without a resolution. If Dampier is physically able to contribute this season, someone at some point will take a chance on him. But if he truly wanted to play, and truly had something left to contribute, something tells me he'd have signed by now.

Eindar
11-08-2010, 09:46 AM
That would be an upgrade, but I'm guessing based on history that Mr. Dampier wants more than the minimum, while simultaneously putting forth mimimum effort. I don't think it would be worth infecting the rest of the team with his bad attitude.

PacerGuy
11-08-2010, 10:06 AM
No need nor want for Erik.
Old, Slow, not a great rebounder, not a great attitude, and would only hinder the poor ball movement & pace of play we have struggles with so far..
If we wouldn't cut Solo for a piece of our future (Rolle), then we surely wont cut him for a part of our past. Solo, despite his ineffectiveness so far t/y, is still a better option on this team then Damp.
Easy, Pass.

Trophy
11-08-2010, 10:50 AM
I think the veteran Dampier would help Roy out.

MLB007
11-08-2010, 11:15 AM
IF Jeff is still having back problems (why hasn't he been playing before the ankle?) AND the price was right, then I'd love him for a back up. His big body would certainly be welcome.

SMosley21
11-08-2010, 11:27 AM
No.

pacer4ever
11-08-2010, 12:03 PM
That would be an upgrade, but I'm guessing based on history that Mr. Dampier wants more than the minimum, while simultaneously putting forth mimimum effort. I don't think it would be worth infecting the rest of the team with his bad attitude.

he was gonna sign with the rockets for veterns mimum

Mackey_Rose
11-08-2010, 12:15 PM
I feel like I'm going to have to shout this:

WE DON'T HAVE AN OPEN ROSTER SPOT!!!

Hibbert
11-08-2010, 12:19 PM
No need nor want for Erik.
Old, Slow, not a great rebounder, not a great attitude, and would only hinder the poor ball movement & pace of play we have struggles with so far..
If we wouldn't cut Solo for a piece of our future (Rolle), then we surely wont cut him for a part of our past. Solo, despite his ineffectiveness so far t/y, is still a better option on this team then Damp.
Easy, Pass.

I am sorry but I found this post laughable. First of all Dampier has played 14 years in the NBA with a career average of 10.6 reb(PER 36). His highest rebound average was 13.3(PER36) for the years 03-04 and his lowest was 8(PER36) in 01-02, which he started only about half the games that year and played low minutes. There is no question he would do nothing but help and improve this team. He would be great for 15-20 min off the bench a night. You mentioned you would rather have Solo? Wow, Damp would double Solo's lousy 3 rebounds on the year in his first game. How is Rolle a piece of the future if we cut him and kept Solo? Don't say money was the issue cause that was not the case here. Magnum is too raw, too weak, and too skinny to play in the NBA right now. If we could get Damp he would prove you wrong with his game play and he would help tremendously. He is the best available option and is exactly what we need right now. I don't like him either and I agree his attitude stinks at times and he shouldn't be able to talk to the media cause of his ignorant comments, but he would be a great addition no doubt.

pacer4ever
11-08-2010, 12:37 PM
I feel like I'm going to have to shout this:

WE DON'T HAVE AN OPEN ROSTER SPOT!!!

CUT SOLO HE IS A BUM WE NEED A BACKUP CENTER

count55
11-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Erick Dampier has averaged 7.4 rebounds per game over his career.

Hicks
11-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Solomon Jones has averaged 2.2 rebounds per game over his career.

Eindar
11-08-2010, 01:09 PM
he was gonna sign with the rockets for veterns mimum

The Rockets are a team that has an All-Star Center and a track record of going to the playoffs. That's precisely the kind of team a veteran would want to go to for the minimum.

The Pacers have a young Center and virtually no chance of making any noise in the playoffs this year. This is typically NOT a team a veteran center would want to go to for the minimum.

I feel that, to come to this team, Dampier would want more than the minimum. I might be wrong, but I think he's always been more about collecting his check than about helping his team.

Not only would Dampier potentially cause problems wanting to play more, he'd be sure to relate stories about how he only has to play hard in contract years to make sure he makes his money. Is that really the sort of presence you want around Roy Hibbert right now? Further, although he would be an upgrade, I don't think we're talking about lottery vs. second round of the playoffs here. We're talking about 8th-10th place vs. 7th-10th place. in my opinion.

Not worth the baggage he'd bring.

Deadshot
11-08-2010, 01:19 PM
While I don't think we will pursue him, at this point I don't know if Dampier can be picky about what team he goes to and how much he plays for.

pacer4ever
11-08-2010, 01:43 PM
While I don't think we will pursue him, at this point I don't know if Dampier can be picky about what team he goes to and how much he plays for.

he was gonna play for the raptors but that deal fell thru also. I dont think he cares he just wants some money.