PDA

View Full Version : New Mike Well tweet...

Peck
11-06-2010, 03:14 PM
MikeWellsNBA O'Brien thinking about moving Dunleavy to the bench and starting Rush, who will return from his 5-gm suspension vs. Denver on Tuesday

Discuss

xBulletproof
11-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Good move as long as George still gets 20 MPG.

Shade
11-06-2010, 03:21 PM
If Brandon flounders, then Dahntay needs to play. He is a much better player than Jim is utilizing him as.

vnzla81
11-06-2010, 03:23 PM
This means that Brush is going to be on the bench for a long time.

bellisimo
11-06-2010, 03:29 PM
JOB does opposite of what he says. Brandon not coming out to play for atleast another 5 games then.

PacersPride
11-06-2010, 03:35 PM
its the right move for this team if not for this reason alone, we need to know if rush is capable of becoming this teams starting SG for the next 2-3 seasons, if not its time to cut ties and move on. rush must play b/c if im not mistaken his contract runs out after next season, and were not going to wait until next year to make a determination.

i like D Jones but right now we need to know what rush is all about.

Brad8888
11-06-2010, 03:38 PM
At least O'Brien is not psy...psychic. Yes, not psychic. Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket!!!! That is exactly what I was about to type.

So, which do we actually trust? Rush is 4th in the rotation, or Rush is the starter?

Most likely, Rush will resume as starter, just as he did at the end of preseason, and Dunleavy will back him up, and George will likely be seen during the last 6 minutes of blowout losses, of which there should be plenty.

The question should actually be how much Danny plays in the near future, but I know that he will be played regardless of performance.

Something is very wrong with Danny. He has to have something bothering him in his personal life, or he has to be disgusted by what is happening with the Pacers at this point, or, perhaps he simply cannot handle the pressure of being the focal point of the franchise. I feel bad for Danny, because I feel like his heart is in the right place and that he is trying to do everything that he has to do while trying to make up for what everybody else is not doing, including O'Brien.

This could be a verrrrrrrrrrry long season. It already seems like this is December after only 5 games.

BringJackBack
11-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Who called it?

Earlier this week, Jim said that Rush would have to work his way back. Now starting?

I'm not going to be critical though. I like this move as long as Paul George still gets his 18-22 minutes and Mike still plays some.

The only problem will be that Darren Collison still won't have anyone to run the break with that will fill the lanes. Dunleavy, Rush, nor Granger does that. The only players that I can think of that really do this are George, Josh, Tyler, and Dahntay. This isn't as big as a problem as our defense, which obviously gets addresed if we were to start Rush.

sportfireman
11-06-2010, 03:58 PM
I would love for Rush to start and George be the first wing off the bench. And it might happen that way, but that means that Dunleavy will probably be the new Powerless Forward or first unbig big off the bench.:mad:

Thats just my take.....

Eleazar
11-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Now we will see which word O'Brien keeps and which one he doesn't. I hope it is the latest word and not the prior.

Hibbert
11-06-2010, 04:15 PM
George's playing time has dropped steadily since opening night, from 23, 21, 20, 15, and last night's 14 minutes, even though he was scoring and shooting better than anyone. If Rush comes in and starts I would be happy with that, I just hope George gets more minutes and Doneleavy's are the ones dropping. Since joining us in 06-07 his numbers and shooting % have dropped steadily just about every year, I think his minutes should drop not Paul's. Mike is so boring and predictable, he brings nothing but a minus to the table.

Trophy
11-06-2010, 04:19 PM
The Jim O'Brien translator.

Yes means no.

He'll start means he won't play.

I want Brandon to start though and Paul is the first wing off the bench to backup Brandon.

Give those 2 a fair share of minutes at SG and we'll see what both can do for us.

Hicks
11-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Wells also tweeted that Jim is looking at playing all four, so a 4-man wing rotation (on the heels of saying he uses/wants a 3-man rotation) is what to (allegedly) look for.

Furthermore, he also mentioned Jim wanting to decrease Danny's minutes by about 10 per game (!) My guess is Paul George gets those minutes to stay in the rotation. Paul averages 18.6mpg right now, and Rush will certainly play that much, I'd guess, so long as Brandon is in the rotation.

Mike's averaging 35mpg right now. I'd like to see Paul get about 8 of those.

BlueNGold
11-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Furthermore, he also mentioned Jim wanting to decrease Danny's minutes by about 10 per game (!)

So much drama. Why would any coach reduce his best player's minutes?...yet at the same time give Posey nearly 30 minutes? Is Posey going to get more minutes than Danny Granger now?

Why can't Pacer basketball make logical sense?

Seriously, I am sick of the drama. I thought we might be past that after purging our roster that nearly killed the franchise.

Where is AJ Price?

Larry Staverman
11-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Why can't Pacer basketball make logical sense?

2 words - Jim O'Brien

Trophy
11-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Ugh!

Why in the world would he do that?

He really has no clue what he's doing.

MyFavMartin
11-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Love it.

NapTonius Monk
11-06-2010, 07:28 PM
its the right move for this team if not for this reason alone, we need to know if rush is capable of becoming this teams starting SG for the next 2-3 seasons, if not its time to cut ties and move on. rush must play b/c if im not mistaken his contract runs out after next season, and were not going to wait until next year to make a determination.

i like D Jones but right now we need to know what rush is all about.So if he's not a starter, he's not worth retaining at all? Granted, he may not be what everyone hoped he'd be, but he is still a valuable player who can shoot the 3 and defend. I'd keep him if at all possible. He'd be a good 6th man if not a starter.

Unclebuck
11-06-2010, 07:34 PM
first of all. we are getting this info second hand and even at that wells is only saying jim is thinking about it. well im sure hes thinking about a lot of things. and yet many of u will get offended if jim doesnt start rush and u will suggest that jim said he was going to start rush. when jim never said that

Chuck Chillout
11-06-2010, 08:17 PM
It's early in the season with a young team and 3 new players in the rotation. We've had two sub par performances. I'd be more worried if O'Brien wasn't considering adjustments. I don't see how these tweets are some indictment of O'Brien.

BlueNGold
11-06-2010, 08:21 PM
It's early in the season with a young team and 3 new players in the rotation. We've had two sub par performances. I'd be more worried if O'Brien wasn't considering adjustments. I don't see how these tweets are some indictment of O'Brien.

Chillout is a good handle for you....but sometimes it's not time to chill-out.

When the coach wants to limit the minutes of the team's best player, you have to start asking questions that get answered.

Chuck Chillout
11-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Chillout is a good handle for you....but sometimes it's not time to chill-out.

When the coach wants to limit the minutes of the team's best player, you have to start asking questions that get answered.

I dunno. Maybe less is more and he's more effective in a few less minutes. It probably doesn't make a huge difference either way, but if he's a better Danny because he's fresher, especially as the season wears on, it's a smart move.

pacer4ever
11-06-2010, 08:33 PM
I would love for Rush to start and George be the first wing off the bench. And it might happen that way, but that means that Dunleavy will probably be the new Powerless Forward or first unbig big off the bench.:mad:

Thats just my take.....

better than posey

BlueNGold
11-06-2010, 08:49 PM
I dunno. Maybe less is more and he's more effective in a few less minutes. It probably doesn't make a huge difference either way, but if he's a better Danny because he's fresher, especially as the season wears on, it's a smart move.

Granger did state that Iggy was more capable of playing full court pressure defense for an entire game...and that Danny could do it, but not for as long. Maybe that translated to..."well, if he thinks that, perhaps we need to cut his minutes." Personally, that would make sense to me. However, if you are going to cut anyone's minutes to bring better defense, it's time to cut Dun's minutes.

Bball
11-06-2010, 08:58 PM
me. However, if you are going to cut anyone's minutes to bring better defense, it's time to cut Dun's minutes.

If you want to cut someone's minutes to bring better defense then we need to cut O'Brien's minutes by 48mins per game...

PacersPride
11-06-2010, 09:04 PM
So if he's not a starter, he's not worth retaining at all? Granted, he may not be what everyone hoped he'd be, but he is still a valuable player who can shoot the 3 and defend. I'd keep him if at all possible. He'd be a good 6th man if not a starter.

cut ties as in trade.. yes i dont mind rush on the roster but until george is ready we need a solid sg. im optimistic rush can be solid, but if not then yes, its time to look at our options.

sorry for the misunderstanding. bottom line, rush needs to get PT in order for the pacers to have an idea of the direction we need to take concerning the SG position.

Personally, a George/Rush combo will work for me, if Rush lives up to my expectations of him this season.

grace
11-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Let me know if he ever decides to play Price or Jones.

ksuttonjr76
11-06-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm all for it. We need Rush's defense and more accurate 3PT shooting. It's a win, win for the starting unit. Hibbert's APG might jump to 5 APG.

vnzla81
11-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Jim is gonna have to be really stupid not to have Rush on Melo during the game Tuesday, of course this makes sence but again is JOB.

gummy
11-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Like I said before, anything from DNP-CD to 30 minutes for Rush would not surprise me at this point. I've no idea how to figure out what JOB might do these days. In the past you could reliably expect him to do something other than what he said but this year his words seem to line up with his actions a wee bit more. The last thing JOB said about Rush (as opposed to Wells paraphrasing) was that he would not be in the regular rotation.

So....?

P.S. - when we post tweets it would be nice to have a little something about the content in the title. "Mike Wells tweet indicates Rush may start over Dunleavy" or something similar.

OakMoses
11-07-2010, 12:32 AM
More than any other player on the team, Granger's the one not running the offense. Why not cut his minutes?

Also, I like Brandon, but Melo will eat him alive in the post.

Scot Pollard
11-07-2010, 12:35 AM
if jim obrien is going to decrease grangers minutes by 10 then hes crazy but then again hes very forgetful and will probably play granger 40 like always which is no problem

Kaufman
11-07-2010, 12:38 AM
http://lowposts.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/tattoo_swift3.jpg----->http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/Picture%2019(6).png

what happened here.

Scot Pollard
11-07-2010, 12:44 AM
http://lowposts.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/tattoo_swift3.jpg----->http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/Picture%2019(6).png

what happened here.

the change is incredible

Kaufman
11-07-2010, 12:55 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1428/1465703718_41a9adbdfb.jpg?v=0

sportfireman
11-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Let me know if he ever decides to play Price or Jones.

Jones played last game.

cdash
11-07-2010, 01:21 AM
the change is incredible

I'm not even kidding--he might be the single most awful looking human being I have ever laid eyes upon.

Kaufman
11-07-2010, 01:26 AM
http://www.nba.com/dleague/bakersfield/photos/Robert_Swift.jpg

Kaufman
11-07-2010, 01:29 AM
http://partmule.com/blog16/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/sam-cassell.jpg

MLB007
11-07-2010, 02:06 AM
George's playing time has dropped steadily since opening night, from 23, 21, 20, 15, and last night's 14 minutes, even though he was scoring and shooting better than anyone. If Rush comes in and starts I would be happy with that, I just hope George gets more minutes and Doneleavy's are the ones dropping. Since joining us in 06-07 his numbers and shooting % have dropped steadily just about every year, I think his minutes should drop not Paul's. Mike is so boring and predictable, he brings nothing but a minus to the table.

Paul took some bad shots last night, though he later heated up, he came in and jacked up two quick misses that were not good shots.
his minutes will continue to drop if he keeps doing that.

I couldn't help but notice it after his tweet.......

Sookie
11-07-2010, 02:31 AM
Actually, I thought it was interesting that PG was the only player to play well after that loss..

righteouscool
11-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Paul took some bad shots last night, though he later heated up, he came in and jacked up two quick misses that were not good shots.
his minutes will continue to drop if he keeps doing that.

I couldn't help but notice it after his tweet.......

He had an effect on almost every play AFTER he made his first shot. He is ridiculously talented and I hope he keeps up his work ethic.

Unclebuck
11-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Jim is gonna have to be really stupid not to have Rush on Melo during the game Tuesday, of course this makes sence but again is JOB.

Not, that is not a no-brainer. Rush isn't big enough to control Melo. Granger needs to defend Melo

Larry Staverman
11-07-2010, 09:36 AM
if jim obrien is going to decrease grangers minutes by 10 then hes crazy but then again hes very forgetful and will probably play granger 40 like always which is no problem

This is just more OByspeak. You have to put it into the OByspeak interpreter and decode it.

So he is going to take our all star player and go from playing him the 13th most minutes in the league (39.0) to 29-30 minutes per which would barely crack the top 100. That will fix everything.

Translation: It ain't working so I have to throw something else at the wall.

Reality is this doesn't last one game if it still ain't working against the Nuggets.

vnzla81
11-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Not, that is not a no-brainer. Rush isn't big enough to control Melo. Granger needs to defend Melo

Melo would destroy Danny, I rather take my chances with Brush, Dj or Posey(yes Posey)

BlueNGold
11-07-2010, 10:32 AM
I think several players should be given the chance to guard Melo, including Paul George. The goal should be finding someone who can slow him down. DJ might have a better idea of how to stop him.

Brad8888
11-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Melo would destroy Danny, I rather take my chances with Brush, Dj or Posey(yes Posey)

My guess is that Melo will be handled with a combination of Rush, Granger, and George, depending on how long Brandon lasts on him to start with. Melo, as you say, would completely eat Danny alive if he plays the way he has lately, which O'Brien even probably believes if he has come right out and said he is considering the previously blasphemous act of reducing Danny's minutes to increase his effectiveness.

As usual, the main defense on Melo will come at the rim though, much to the dismay of Josh and Roy, who will probably struggle with foul trouble as a result.

Infinite MAN_force
11-07-2010, 12:25 PM

Granger is clearly the best person to match up with Melo from a physical standpoint.

Granger isn't Mike Dunleavy, he actually can be a very good defender when he commits to it. Sadly, he doesn't always commit to it.

Mackey_Rose
11-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Granger is clearly the best person to match up with Melo from a physical standpoint.

Granger isn't Mike Dunleavy, he actually can be a very good defender when he commits to it. Sadly, he doesn't always commit to it.

That's what makes Granger, as a poor defender, so much more frustrating than Dunleavy.

Dunleavy lacks the ability, Granger lacks the effort.

imawhat
11-07-2010, 02:09 PM
That's what makes Granger, as a poor defender, so much more frustrating than Dunleavy.

Dunleavy lacks the ability, Granger lacks the effort.

Dunleavy lacks the effort too. I've lost count of how many times he's pulled up in transition to allow an easy basket. Other than a nice play on Iggy, his transition effort is lacking.

Also, nobody's going to stop Melo. It certainly isn't Brandon because he'll take Brandon down into the post and abuse him. Melo is much stronger than people think.

Believe it or not, I think Posey's probably our best solution for Melo. We want him taking shots on the perimeter and Posey's about the only player that can put a body on him without picking up 5 fouls in 10 minutes.

xBulletproof
11-07-2010, 02:25 PM
It's a win, win for the starting unit. Hibbert's APG might jump to 5 APG.

That's a joke, right?

I would bet Hibbert has more assists to Dunleavy than any other player. Dunleavy makes good cuts, and he's gotten several layups off of them when Hibbert's had the ball.

Sookie
11-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Dunleavy lacks the effort too. I've lost count of how many times he's pulled up in transition to allow an easy basket. Other than a nice play on Iggy, his transition effort is lacking.

Also, nobody's going to stop Melo. It certainly isn't Brandon because he'll take Brandon down into the post and abuse him. Melo is much stronger than people think.

Believe it or not, I think Posey's probably our best solution for Melo. We want him taking shots on the perimeter and Posey's about the only player that can put a body on him without picking up 5 fouls in 10 minutes.

I think that's him just knowing that all he'd do is create an and one, and he lets the other team get the basket. I don't really have a problem with it, because he's right. Dun's not going to stop anyone from scoring..but he might foul.

imawhat
11-07-2010, 03:51 PM
I think that's him just knowing that all he'd do is create an and one, and he lets the other team get the basket. I don't really have a problem with it, because he's right. Dun's not going to stop anyone from scoring..but he might foul.

What I'd like to see is Dun wrap someone up before they get towards the FT line. In a lot of instances, it's before the shot and before a team is in the penalty.

Savvy vets around the league do this move (Battier, Billups, etc.). Mike should be doing it too (along with some of his teammates). At the very least, he can wrap them up hard and force them to make FTs. It's not like he's ever in foul trouble..he hasn't fouled in since '07-'08.

Justin Tyme
11-07-2010, 04:36 PM

I'd prefer Dahntay "D" on Melo. I'd have to believel Dahntay knows Melo's moves pretty well after being on the Nuggets team. I would feel practicing with and against Melo should give Dahntay an edge over any other Pacer.

Sookie
11-07-2010, 04:40 PM
What I'd like to see is Dun wrap someone up before they get towards the FT line. In a lot of instances, it's before the shot and before a team is in the penalty.

Savvy vets around the league do this move (Battier, Billups, etc.). Mike should be doing it too (along with some of his teammates). At the very least, he can wrap them up hard and force them to make FTs. It's not like he's ever in foul trouble..he hasn't fouled in since '07-'08.

I've seen AJ do that (it's something he always did at Uconn)
And Hans and Josh just foul a player so hard they aren't making the basket. I think Hibbert's getting there too.

With everyone else (including BRush) it just seems like the end result is a +1.
With Dun, first..I'm not sure he's ever really in front of someone in time to do that. And second, although I do think he has a high basketball IQ on offense, I'm not sure it's there on defense. He knows where he's supposed to be but...in terms of decisions on the fly..

Naptown_Seth
11-07-2010, 05:45 PM
first of all. we are getting this info second hand and even at that wells is only saying jim is thinking about it. well im sure hes thinking about a lot of things. and yet many of u will get offended if jim doesnt start rush and u will suggest that jim said he was going to start rush. when jim never said that
Wasn't the slam of your "What does Wells know about Tyler not playing in the season opener" logic enough to stop this junk from you.

Wells has access and has already said something that proved true right after you said we had no reason to believe him. Enough with the "he probably doesn't know anything" attack on tweets by Wells.

And I won't be mad about "thinking about it" and then not doing it. I'll be mad that its the right choice given Mike's play and should be the obvious move. He's got a very good reason to be thinking about it.

OakMoses
11-07-2010, 06:13 PM
I'd prefer Dahntay "D" on Melo. I'd have to believel Dahntay knows Melo's moves pretty well after being on the Nuggets team. I would feel practicing with and against Melo should give Dahntay an edge over any other Pacer.

I very clearly remember 'Melo dominating Dahntay in the post last year. Only Danny has a chance.

Sookie
11-07-2010, 06:42 PM
I very clearly remember 'Melo dominating Dahntay in the post last year. Only Danny has a chance.

Yea, Dahntay struggles against players that are bigger then him. Use him to guard someone like DWade, or a tough PG cover like Rose..

I think BRush is the best choice though.

Psycho T
11-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Rush over Dunleavy should happen.. Honestly Hansbrough would probably be a bigger 3PT threat than what Dunleavy has done do far. At least he would get wide open looks since no one guards him out there.

Unclebuck
11-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Wasn't the slam of your "What does Wells know about Tyler not playing in the season opener" logic enough to stop this junk from you.

Easy, there. Back off

Edit: Seth after giving your comments some more thought and trying to figure out why they upset me so much, I decied to go back to the thead and read exactly what I posted. I read all 14 pages of this thread, and I think you have me confused with someone else. I never said what you claim I did

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=57609

Peck
11-07-2010, 08:17 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RYLsyNBnE5M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RYLsyNBnE5M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

TheDon
11-07-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm a coach of a young talented professional basketball team that's on the verge of finally turning a corner and making things exciting again...there's just one problem...I'm Jim O'Brien and I love playing vets (oopsies)...all season long you can expect to see little to no defense and lots of questionable rotations....so get yourself allstate insurance, and save yourself from mayhem..like me..