PDA

View Full Version : Jason Williams to Heat?

SoupIsGood
08-23-2004, 05:40 PM
The Memphis Grizzlies' Jason Williams is a Central Florida neighbor to the Miami Heat's Shaquille O'Neal. However, the Heat are thought to be considering a trade that could make the two teammates, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

The newspaper reported the Heat — at O'Neal's request — are considering trading Eddie Jones and either Damon Jones or Keyon Dooling to Memphis in exchange for the enigmatic Williams and possibly forward James Posey.

The acquisition of Williams could allow the Heat to use Dwyane Wade at shooting guard as opposed to point guard, where he played last season as a rookie.

Williams seemed to tone down his flashy play under veteran coach Hubie Brown this past season. However, his playmaking skills, matched with O'Neal's dominance beneath the basket and Wade on the wing could make the Heat a very enjoyable team to watch.

O'Neal joined the Heat in a July 14 trade that sent Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, Brian Grant and a first-round pick to the Lakers.

O'Neal led the Lakers to three NBA championships in five seasons and was named the league's MVP for the 2000 season.

SoupIsGood
08-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Some Linkage

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2686752

RimBender
08-23-2004, 05:52 PM
:mad:

J Dub is one of my favorite players!

I love seeing him play for the Griz, my second favorite team.

Oh well, maybe its better off for him.

Kegboy
08-23-2004, 06:35 PM
My first reaction was this would be a good deal, but the more I think about it...

Williams has shaped up into a decent point, but he's still best in the open floor. Wade and JWill sure is an intriguing tandem in the full court, but even with a revitalized Shaq, I don't see him fitting well with them. Plus, while they are both clutch shooters, they're not exactly dependable from long range. Jones' shooting is imperative with Shaq down low. Without Eddie, you're going to have guys like Rasual and Jason jacking up a lot of bricks from behind the stripe.

On the other hand, it sure would be nice to get rid of Jones' contract. And they did sign little Person, so maybe he'd make up the difference.

Joel
08-23-2004, 08:27 PM
There is no way the Grizz make this trade. I know J-will's contract isn't that great, but Eddie Jones?? C'mon now.

Cactus Jax
08-23-2004, 08:28 PM
There's NO way the Grizz do this. Getting Williams for Jones is a joke as it is, but getting Williams AND Posey, lol, that's just some guy's fantasy.

ChicagoJ
08-23-2004, 08:39 PM
I think there is some serious underestimating of Eddie Jones on here. He may be overpaid, but he's still a heck of a ball player at both ends of the court.

Sure, Jason Williams has settled down, but even at his best, he's not in Eddie Jones' league.

If I recall correctly, Jerry West was always a big fan of Eddie Jones.

Anthem
08-23-2004, 08:42 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to see how that would work. What's the status of Dickerson's contract? Maybe Jones/pick for Williams/Dickerson?

Still seems like Memphis comes out ahead...

Hoop
08-23-2004, 10:14 PM
I think there is some serious underestimating of Eddie Jones on here. He may be overpaid, but he's still a heck of a ball player at both ends of the court.

Sure, Jason Williams has settled down, but even at his best, he's not in Eddie Jones' league.

If I recall correctly, Jerry West was always a big fan of Eddie Jones.

You've got to be kiddin' Jones is not in Jason William's league. Williams has turned into a fine PG, Jones is on his way down and has always been overrated IMO.

Cactus Jax
08-23-2004, 11:00 PM
Jason Williams is a top 10 PG, and is still in his rising years in the NBA while Jones would barely start on the Grizz.

Yes J-Will is a little crazy, but Eddie Jones is a mediocre player at best and has an ENORMOUS contract.

SkipperZ
08-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Id rather have Posey than Eddie Jones. Better defender and growing into a solid outside shooter/scorer.

That trade would catapult Miami to being the favorites to win the championship in my opinion.

Kegboy
08-23-2004, 11:50 PM
Uh, do you guys realize you're talking about Miami's leading scorer last year. Not Odom, not Wade, but Jones. And he's still a very credible defender at his age.

Be prepared to be eating your words come this season. As I said after the trade, Shaq's gonna do wonders for Eddie's game.

SoupIsGood
08-23-2004, 11:58 PM
Memphis would get ripped off in this deal, the only way I think they'd do it is if it was a 3-way getting them a big man. But this would make Miami really scary

Williams/Wade/Posey/Allen/O'neal

Might as well hand them the trophy with that lineup.

Joel
08-24-2004, 02:15 AM
J-Will and Wade running together on the break would be an awesome sight to see.

SoupIsGood
08-24-2004, 02:18 AM
:o
J-Will and Wade running together on the break would be an awesome sight to see.

:o
That'd be one scary combo.

Fool
08-24-2004, 08:19 AM
I wouldn't consider Williams a top ten pg though he isn't a liability for sure. He's basically turned into Eric Snow, though a little better on the break and a little worse in the half court.

West has been protecting everyone he's got so he can ship 2, 3, or 4 of them off for any type of legitamate big man. Besides, Posey shoots better from the 3 and overall then Jones, he just doesn't get the points or the minutes because Memphis rotates half the cheerleaders into their line-up every night.

If Shaq lived next to Peja, there would be a story about how Peja would be the next member of the Miami Heat.

Sollozzo
08-24-2004, 09:58 AM
I think West has always been a big fan of Jones, he drafted him 10 years ago, that was a solid pick.

That 1994-1995 Lakers team was cool. Ceballos, Jones, Van Exel, Divac, Elden Campbell. They had a great year, and upset the Sonics in the first round of the playoffs.

West only traded Jones when he was basically forced to because of the emergence of Kobe.