PDA

View Full Version : 1-8 seed predictions in the East

Sollozzo
08-23-2004, 05:29 PM
What are your 1-8 seed predicitions in the eastern conference for next year? Remember, the Pacers or Pistons have to be a 4 seed, since there are 3 divisions and the division winners are seeded 1-4. Also remember that the New Orleans Hornets are a Western team now

Here's mine:

1.:pistons: This one was tough, but with a full year of Sheed, I expect them to have the best record

2.:heat: The southeast division is weak and they should easily win it with Shaq. I think Indiana and Detroit will have better records than Miami, but only 1 can win the division

3.:knicks: Pretty mediocre division, that is really anyones. I think they have a better team than anyone in their division. I obviously expect the Pacers to win more games than the Knicks, but of course, If Detroit wins the Central and New York wins the Atlantic, we cant be seeded higher than them

4.:pacers: Easy choice. Will probably have a better record than Miami and definitely have a better one than New York. Expect alot of wins again out of them.

5.:nets: If Kidd is healthy they will get a top 5 seed, even without Kmart.

6.:celtics: I like what they did in the draft, and Paul Pierce will always be big. Their success depends largely on what Payton does.

7. :magic: They will be good this year. Mobley and Francis is a solid Backcourt. THey got Cato who is solid in the middle, and Howard is talented.

8. :cavaliers: Man, I would have picked them top 5 after the season ended, but that Boozer thing really hurt them. Expect Lebron to be great, I think they will sneak in.

SoupIsGood
08-23-2004, 05:34 PM
Pacers
Heat
Boston
Pistons
Knicks
Cavaliers
Bucks
Magic

Sollozzo
08-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Interesting picks, Soup.

So you don't even think NJ will make it?

SoupIsGood
08-23-2004, 05:56 PM
Not with Kidd out for a while at the start of the season. I also don't think he'll perform the same after being injured.

blanket
08-23-2004, 06:09 PM
pistons

heat

76ers

pacers

knicks

bucks

celtics

magic

Aw Heck
08-23-2004, 06:23 PM
1. Pistons
2. Heat
3. Knicks
4. Pacers
5. Bucks
6. Nets
7. Cavaliers
8. Magic

Hicks
08-23-2004, 06:55 PM
Flip a coin between Pacers/Pistons 1/4 seeds. Heat for 2nd place, Knicks for 3rd, then Milwuakee, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Boston.

Destined4Greatness
08-23-2004, 07:00 PM
I think we will have the better record. Even after the Pistons got Rasheed we still had the better record and they sacrificed their depth for more size. Not a good move, when we can put Tinsley, Miller and Stephen Jackson all in and just take shots from the Perimeter.

Shade
08-23-2004, 07:21 PM
Ah, I've been considering making one of these threads all day. Thanks for saving me the trouble. ;)

As of now, here's how I see it. These picks are subject to change dependant on injuries, trades, etc. before the season. I will post my revised list right before then.

Here goes...

1) :pistons: [Central Division Champions]
2) :heat: [Southeast Division Champions]
3) :knicks: [Atlantic Division Champions]
4) :pacers:
5) :bucks:
6) :magic:
7) :cavaliers:
8) :sixers:

unstandable
08-23-2004, 07:26 PM
I think we will have the better record. Even after the Pistons got Rasheed we still had the better record and they sacrificed their depth for more size. Not a good move, when we can put Tinsley, Miller and Stephen Jackson all in and just take shots from the Perimeter.

The Pistons went 20-6 after they got Sheed, which works out to 63 wins over a full season.

But they might not win that many in the regular season this year as they'll be working in a new bench which won't be as productive right away as their bench last year. But it will probably be better by playoff time (especially compared to how some of their bench players disappeared in the playoffs last year).

Kstat
08-23-2004, 07:44 PM
1. :pistons: Much deeper team than last year, much bigger and stronger off the bench. Also their bench is a lot more athletic with the addition of Carlos Delfino. I also can't stress enough what a full year of learning Larry Brown's system can do. Win or lose, this team is better on paper than last year's version.

2: :heat: Shaq alone makes this team a division winner. Dwayne Wade will be a year wiser, but the key is, can Miami get a starting PG so Wade can move off the ball to his natural SG position. They have depth and PF issues, but when you have Shaq, those things dont matter as much.

3: :sixers: This has been my darkhorse all summer. Brian Skinner, WIllie Green, and Samuel Dalembert will really surprise some people, and Andre Igoudala will be a 1st team all-rookie selection. The kid has a ton of ability. Allen Iverson will be more comfortable with this group, and he's healthier than he has been in the past. Philly will take the divisision over New York.

4: :pacers: Clearly the best team outside of Detroit, but I have to question wether or not Jermaine Oneal has enough size around him to get past Detroit. Depth is also the main reason after Oneal and Artest that Indiana won 61 games. Without his backup muscle in Harrington, Oneal will have to shoulder an even BIGGER burden on the inside, and thats a prolem. This team has fixed its weakness shooting from the outside, which is a plus.

5: :bucks: They wer eoverlooked because they went out in 5 games last year, but the fact remains that this team is still the best offense in a conference lacking scoring. Michael Redd, Desmond Mason, Keith Van Horn and Toni Kucoc can all put up points, and if TJ Ford returns, they have the perfect point man to run their team. Mike James was a solid addition at PG, should Ford not make it back in time.

6: :cavaliers: Carlos Boozer or not, the Cavs have the third-best player in the east in leBron James. James with a season under his belt, and Luke Jackson to take the open shots that he creates, will be an MVP candidate. Illgauskus is also a solid inside option, and Jeff McInnis and Eric Snow will take all the ballhandling pressure off of James and allow him to create, which is what he does best. The Cavs lost Boozer, but they solved every other problem they had, which keeps them a contender in the east.

7: :knicks: I'm not sold on this team chemisty-wise, but talent ALONE should guarnetee them a spot in the playoffs. Marbury and Crawford are the quckest backcourt in the NBA, but also might be its worst defensiely. New York still has no frontcourt to speak of, even in the weak east. Vin Baker and Kurt Thomas aren't going to get the job done.

8. :nets: Jason Kidd isnt what he used to be, but he and Richard Jefferson are enough to win 40 games, and that alone should ensure a playoff spot. Jefferson is coming into his own, and should reach all-star status this season. There is precious little around Kidd and Jefferson, though the biggest reaosn for hope lies in rookie Nenad Krstic, from Serbia. Krstic has a lot of talent at the center spot, but he has the muscle mass of your average NBA shooting guard. He'll get a crash course because NJ wont have the luxury of sitting him.

canyoufeelit
08-23-2004, 08:45 PM
No Magic? The core of Stevie + the Cat + Cato was basically a 40 or so win team in the West pre-Yao, what makes everyone think they can't duplicate that success in the East. If you look at the Rockets record, they always seemed to beat up on the eastern teams (can't just be Yao) and now they get to play them even more

MSA2CF
08-23-2004, 10:39 PM
1)It
2)is
3)far
4)too
5)early
6)to
7)do
8)this!

At least for me it is. ;)

Sollozzo
08-23-2004, 10:43 PM
It's August, we have to have something to talk about;)

Ultimate Frisbee
08-23-2004, 10:57 PM
I'm going to make it a bit different....

1.) :heat:
2.) :pacers:
3.) :sixers:
4.) :pistons:
5.) :knicks:
6.) :magic:
7.) :cavaliers:
8.) :celtics:

Ultimate Frisbee
08-23-2004, 10:59 PM
1. :pistons:
2: :heat:
3: :sixers:
4: :pacers:
5: :bucks:
5: :cavaliers:
6: :knicks:
7. :nets:
8: :celtics:

Sorry, only 8 teams can make it K-stat... (2 5's)

Kstat
08-23-2004, 11:55 PM
Gee, what an oversight....

TheSauceMaster
08-24-2004, 12:17 AM
* cough * Injuries could spoil anyone of these teams dreams , even ours and if you can predict injuries then , please give me the lotto numbers for the power ball. No one thought we would finish with our record last year , the HEAT were ultra impressive the 2nd half of the season , it's a crap shoot at best.

We got very lucky our injuries during the regular season didn't kill up and if you take the injuries that JO and Tinsley got in the ECF and jump back to the Season , you think we still finish even close to 61 wins ?

Jose Slaughter
08-24-2004, 12:39 AM
1. Detroit

2. Washingtion

3. New York

4. Indiana

5. Milwaukee

6. Miami

7. Boston

8. Cleveland