PDA

View Full Version : Contender/Pretender Vol. 3 - Charlotte Bobcats

Hicks
08-23-2004, 04:14 PM
Yeah, this'll be hard. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

Borrowing an idea seen on the RealGM Pistons board, we're going to go through, one team at a time, each team in the NBA, and discuss their potential for the 2004-2005, and ultimately decide if that team is going to be a Contender or a Pretender.

I'll start by listing who I think will be the starters, the bench players, and the head coach.

From there it's up to everyone to discuss this team, how good they could or should be, what record they might get, predict how their key players will perform, and ultimately decide if they are going to contend or pretend they are playing for the NBA Championship in 2005.

I'm going to do this in alphabetical order from Atlanta to Washington.

Vol. 3 is the Charlotte Bobcats. :bobcats:

Probable starters (if I get these wrong tell me yours)

House?
Slay?
Wallace?
Brezec?
Okafor?

Bench: Corey Benjamin, Omar Cook, Melvin Ely, Jason Hart, Brandon Hunter, Jason Kapono, Bernard Robinson, Jamal Sampson, Theron Smith, Jahidi White

Head Coach: Bernie Bickerstaff

Discuss.:cool:

Shade
08-23-2004, 04:25 PM
The first person to say "contender" is :banned: from PD for failing to meet the minimal intelligence requisite. :devil:

No, a pretender all the way. In fact, the worst team in the NBA this year.

Merz
08-23-2004, 04:30 PM
I think Ely will start over Brezec.

And of course they are contenders.....for the worst record in the NBA.

Pretenders

Sollozzo
08-23-2004, 04:37 PM
I think they will just be awful, which is expected from a first year expansion team. They wont win 15 games.

Shade
08-23-2004, 05:02 PM
Why are we even talking about the Bobcats? Maybe the question to ask should be, "Which NBA team will be humiated by being the first team to lose to the Bobcats?"

Probably the Pacers. :shrug: :cry:

Roaming Gnome
08-23-2004, 05:05 PM
Why are we even talking about the Bobcats? Maybe the question to ask should be, "Which NBA team will be humiated by being the first team to lose to the Bobcats?"

:applaud: :amen: :applaud:

As for an answer...Al Harrington's squad seems ripe for the pickins since they are geographical rivals and division rivals! Not to also mention...they stink!

Kstat
08-23-2004, 05:06 PM
Gerald Wallace will win the MIP award this season, and Okafor will be the rookie of the year.

That said, count on 18-23 wins for the Bobcats this year. Thayre just that bad.

Roaming Gnome
08-23-2004, 05:10 PM
Gerald Wallace will win the MIP award this season, and Okafor will be the rookie of the year.

That said, count on 18-23 wins for the Bobcats this year. Thayre just that bad.

Actually 18-23 is not that bad for an expansion team. Isn't that about where both Toronto and Vancouver finished in their first years? There are quite a few teams that have won less then 20 games in a season, I'd guess! As long as they win more then 9 games...they will not get the record Philly set back in the day.

DisplacedKnick
08-23-2004, 05:40 PM
I predict that after 20 games they'll have a better record than Orlando did at the same point last year. :o

After making such a gigantic leap, if you're any team but the one that plays two states south, you lose to them and you better look at your game preparation.

Kegboy
08-23-2004, 06:20 PM
As I said in the Atlanta thread, I see the Hawks being the worst team, not Charlotte. They might not have "stars" like Walker and Al, but they've got a number of solid front court players. And while their backcourt isn't much to look at, it's still better than Atlanta's. Unless Okafor gets hurt, or Bernie goes mad scientist on them, I think they'll get into the 20's record-wise.

Lord Helmet
08-23-2004, 06:33 PM
The Bobcats are pretenders easily.If they are lucky LUCKY they will win 20 games.

Lord Helmet
08-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Top 3 worst teams 1.Bobcats 2.Hawks 3.Bulls

Hicks
08-23-2004, 06:53 PM
I know I only address contender/pretender, and it's my fault for not making it more clear, but the idea is to first establish if they're a contender or pretender, then just discuss their season, how many wins, who will do what, etc.

ChicagoJ
08-23-2004, 06:55 PM
The East still sucks overall. The 'Cats can probably win in the low-twenties. I'm not sure the Bulls and Hawks can win in the low-twenties, even in the East.

Joel
08-23-2004, 08:37 PM
Pretenders, but fun to watch. I can't wait to see Wallace on Sportscenter every night.

canyoufeelit
08-23-2004, 08:47 PM
Contender... for the worst record ever
:laugh:

SoupIsGood
08-23-2004, 09:02 PM
They'll be fun to watch, and with their athleticism, if they had a coach that could teach them to play great defense, they'd maybe win 30 games. But they don't and they won't.

Ultimate Frisbee
08-23-2004, 09:19 PM
I doubt they will have a consistent starting lineup outside of Wallace and Okafor, but they do have a lot of guys who know how to play their roles and will actually get a chance to do so...

I see them a lot like last years Utah team, except without Kirilenko...

I'd say 25 wins and the future looks promising.

PacerStud
08-23-2004, 09:35 PM
House
Slay
Wallace
Brezec
Okafor

Bench: Corey Benjamin, Omar Cook, Melvin Ely, Jason Hart, Brandon Hunter, Jason Kapono, Bernard Robinson, Jamal Sampson, Theron Smith, Jahidi White

I don't know. Looking at that lineup ..................

............. it's hard not to laugh.

I almost feel sorry for their guys until I see their salaries.