PDA

View Full Version : international vs. nba game

debohstheman
08-23-2004, 12:25 PM
i have heard/read a lot of arguments that the international game (rules, court, etc.) are making the international players look much better than they would in an nba setting.

what is it about the international game that makes this the case? it is obvious that hte key looks different and the 3point line is closer.....but that doesnt explain anything.....

what else is it..or is it people just making excuses?

PacerStud
08-23-2004, 12:37 PM
I see the international game as a team game whereas the NBA is more 1-on-1. Back door cuts, pick and roll, coming off screens and hitting a jumper. Against us (at least) they pack their zone in tight to cut off the driving/slashing and dare you to hit the jumper against them. When you can't do that, you're in trouble because they CAN shoot. And they can drive.

We've got 'em beat when it comes to dunking, but not much more.

debohstheman
08-23-2004, 12:43 PM
that only explains a different skill set; is there anything about the rules that would favor their skill set?

PacerStud
08-23-2004, 12:49 PM
Well, they actually call travelling ............... ;)

And they allow a pure zone.

ROCislandWarrior
08-23-2004, 01:03 PM
The Kiddie 3 pt line helps them.

Since it seems like all international players can shoot and have some range, alot of them are good 3pt shooters from the short line.

I wonder though, how many of them would be able to shoot from the NBA line?

DisplacedKnick
08-23-2004, 01:11 PM
The combination of zone and shorter 3-pt line means that shooting is much more important as opposed to slashing to the basket and post scoring.

I personally think the rules makes things difficult for THIS group of NBA players but there are plenty of NBA players who wouldn't have trouble with this. Our team happens to be made of players who like to slash to the basket (Marbury, Iverson, LeBron, Jefferson & Wade) or score in the post (Marion, Stoudamire, Duncan) which plays right into the zone.

You put Ray Allen, Mike Bibby and Michael Finley on that team and we'd have a totally different story.

Shade
08-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Put out this line-up and let the international teams deal with it:

C - Shaq/BMiller
PF - Duncan/BWallace/JO
SF - Garnett/Artest
SG - Kobe/T-Mac/RAllen
PG - Kidd/Bibby

Kstat
08-23-2004, 02:55 PM
MY main problem with the interntional game is the 3-point line. It dominates the game. So many international teams have a lot of guys that can do nothing except shoot the three. Move the stupid kiddy line back to 23 feet and force these international teams to excel at something OTHER than shooting the three.

I like the NBA game in that there is a variety of ways to succeed. In the international game, you can be the worst team on the planet, but if you can make a 19-foot shot, you can beat anyone.

Shade
08-23-2004, 02:57 PM
MY main problem with the interntional game is the 3-point line. It dominates the game. So many international teams have a lot of guys that can do nothing ot the three. Move the stupid kiddy line back to 23 feet and force these international teams to excel at something OTHER than shooting the three.

I like the NBA game in that there is a variety of ways to succeed. In the international game, you can be the worst team on the planet, but if you can make a 19-foot shot, you can beat anyone.

Of course, that cuts both ways. Not that I disagree with you about moving the line back, but if we could hit those stupid 19-footers it'd be a completely different thing. We have every other aspect of the game down pat. Now let's learn how to shoot the damn ball! :mad:

tseramid
08-23-2004, 05:58 PM
Another big difference is the willingness to call offensive charges under the basket. In the pro's, there is that dreaded dotten line, where you cannot call offensive fouls. Even in college, I believe there is a tendency to not give a call to someone really far under the basket. The international version nullifies much of the slashing abilities of the USA guards because they can and will call a charge anywhere on the court.

If we had even one deadly shooter, it would unpack all of those defenders around the rim, though and even this wouldn't matter.

Kstat
08-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Another big difference is the willingness to call offensive charges under the basket. In the pro's, there is that dreaded dotten line, where you cannot call offensive fouls. Even in college, I believe there is a tendency to not give a call to someone really far under the basket. The international version nullifies much of the slashing abilities of the USA guards because they can and will call a charge anywhere on the court.

If we had even one deadly shooter, it would unpack all of those defenders around the rim, though and even this wouldn't matter.

I agree with that %100 too. Two things that frustrate me are that the shooter can push off with his off-arm all he wants in the air, and the defender can be as far out of position as he wants, but if he falls over, a charge is called. Guys should be rewarded for having defensive position out in FRONT of the rim, not lazily walking under it and falling down when a guy lands onb you after scoring. The international game really frowns on the finer points of defense, which is why I think most euros dont play well in the NBA, because they are forced to actually play technically sound defense, not soccer-style flopping.