PDA

View Full Version : [Phoenix New Times] Steve Nash Retiring Nov. 15th to Pursue Canadian Politics?

bulldog
11-03-2010, 08:18 PM
A Phoenix area newspaper is reporting that Nash is retiring to pursue Canadian politics. There is just one article, it is looooong and I haven't read the whole thing, and it might be a hoax. So please correct me if you hear this is BS, I find it hard to believe, but had to post it.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2010-11-04/news/setting-sun-steve-nash-s-quitting-the-phoenix-suns-to-enter-canadian-politics/

A mere week into the 2010 NBA campaign and the Phoenix Suns' season hopes have been annihilated for this year and many years to come. Superstar point guard Steve Nash has informed Suns management he's leaving the team permanently November 15 to pursue a political career in his native Canada.

Edit: Read the article in detail, it's written in a casual style that suggests it can't be real. But nowhere does it admit to being a hoax, and this is a legitimate if not national paper, as far as I can tell. So I'm still not sold, but it'd be a hell of a thing for a newspaper to lie about.

Edit Edit: Hard to believe this is real. No other news sources have picked this up. And this is one of those free weeklys you can just pick up out a bin. Still hard to believe they'd just flat out lie on their front page though.

pacer4ever
11-03-2010, 08:20 PM
0% chance this is true steve nash doesnt quit on his team

ChristianDudley
11-03-2010, 08:29 PM
0% chance this is true steve nash doesnt quit on his team

LeBron James did and I'd say he's a better player than Steve Nash lol.

xBulletproof
11-03-2010, 08:34 PM
I was debating picking up Dragic on my fantasy team anyway.

Now I'll do it hoping this is true. Ha.

BRushWithDeath
11-03-2010, 09:03 PM
And this is one of those free weeklys you can just pick up out a bin. Still hard to believe they'd just flat out lie on their front page though.

No it isn't.

Trophy
11-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Oh brother... :rolleyes:

pacer4ever
11-03-2010, 09:26 PM
No it isn't.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aoMmbUmKN0E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aoMmbUmKN0E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

"thats why i dont read the newspaper its garbage"

xBulletproof
11-03-2010, 09:30 PM
"thats why i dont read the newspaper its garbage"

..... the article he's ranting about .... isn't from the same newspaper ...

Color me confused as to the point of posting that video.

pacer4ever
11-03-2010, 09:32 PM
..... the article he's ranting about .... isn't from the same newspaper ...

Color me confused as to the point of posting that video.

i was just saying everything u read isnt true

xBulletproof
11-03-2010, 09:38 PM
i was just saying everything u read isnt true

Huge difference. The rant you're referring to he said was "inaccurate", but he refused to ever correct what wasn't accurate. Nobody will ever know. In fact when the person wrote it, I'm sure they never thought it would come in to question even.

This Nash article ..... you'd better be DAMN certain it's correct. They knew when they wrote that article that it's accuracy would come into question immediately.

The only way I think this isn't true is if they claim their site was hacked or something. No real reporter of any kind would put their career/reputation on the line like this for something they weren't sure was 100% correct.

bulldog
11-03-2010, 09:59 PM
This is almost certainly a hoax. I almost feel like pulling the link just to avoid giving them more page views.

Also, how do we change titles. I put the "?" in originally, but it deserves a little more than that.

Dr. Awesome
11-03-2010, 10:07 PM
LeBron James did and I'd say he's a better player than Steve Nash lol.

LeBron James is known as a classless egomaniac, Steve Nash is known as a player who will pour his heart into every game trying to get the win. There is a difference.

vnzla81
11-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Let's hope that Jim pulls a similar move and goes away too( I don't believe this Story)

Slick Pinkham
11-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Lebron did not violate the terms of his contract, which is what Nash would be doing if this were true, and thus would be 100X worse. But I'd guess there's a 99.99% chance it isn't true.

Pingu
11-03-2010, 10:23 PM
It's a hoax. Check Suns fans message boards. The 'writer' is apparently known for his hoaxes.

This is just retarded 'journalism'.

imawhat
11-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Yep, watching the Suns game and they reported the Suns sending a press release confirming the hoax.

SoupIsGood
11-03-2010, 11:13 PM
The author sells blankets, apparently. From his blanket site:

This is going to be a memorable month for me, which is unfortunate because I'm getting so old I can rarely remember anything. However, here are two things I think are going to happen. On the 4th an enormously long article I wrote about Phoenix Suns basketball star Steve Nash will be the cover story of the Phoenix New Times newspaper. You may well be reading about the article's explosive contents in your local paper, the Internet and/or hearing about it on national television. I likely will become internationally famous and live a grand life of epic proportions. Or I can just stay right here and continue to be completely delusional. http://www.barryfriedmanblankets.com/Blanket_Of_The_Month.html