PDA

View Full Version : Follow the Spurs

SoupIsGood
08-22-2004, 09:58 PM
the reason there always good at a low price is just what you said, Tim Duncan and good coaching.

It's going to be a Minny-San Antonio WCF this year.

PacerStud
08-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Our pacers on the other have no international player on the roster.
International ???? Pfffffffffffffffft.

We have Artest, who's from another planet.

ROCislandWarrior
08-22-2004, 11:15 PM
I don't know about others, but when I see a player the thought of wether they are an American or not doesn't cross my mind until after I have looked at what kind of game they have.

The exception to that is on Draft Day and that is simply because I know alot about the college players, but I never ever watch international basketball so I have no idea what the players are like.

Kegboy
08-22-2004, 11:33 PM
Well, if it makes you feel better, Larry Bird has pretty much scuttled our scouting department and brought in all new people. We've even got somebody who's job is to scout Africa, which is supposed to be "the next big thing". And Bird himself has gone on multiple scouting trips, including overseas.

Who knows, maybe we would have drafted a foreigner. That is, if not for most all of them dropping out, due to GM's souring on the foreign market after busts like Skita and Darko (ducks KStat's barrage.)

NewType
08-22-2004, 11:51 PM
One of the reason why teams prefer not to go after foreign players is that the players' sticky contract issue with the foreign teams. Usually when a foreign player declares for the draft, he is still under contract with his original team. The team may ask for a hefty fee to terminate the existing contract. In most cases, the player end up has to play through his contract with the original team before he can join the NBA. This presents a risk/gamble for the NBA team and not many teams are not willing or have the luxury to take.

For example, I think Ginobli was drafted back in 1999 or 2000 (I'm not 100% sure) and he reported to the Spurs in 2002. The question is whether teams can wait or they need help immediately.

Bball
08-23-2004, 01:46 AM
Well, we've waited 12 years for Bender so what is a couple of years to wait for a more complete player?

:P

-Bball

3Ball
08-23-2004, 02:24 PM
And you know that it's more than just Duncan and some random guys. After all, USA Olypmics is Duncan and a few superstars. And they got spanked by Puerto Rico.