PDA

View Full Version : What it will take to win a championship.

Destined4Greatness
08-22-2004, 07:41 PM
We will win, if we are healthy for the Playoffs. Look how good we did last year. And we have improved our team since then. Not to mention the Pistons declined.

Destined4Greatness
08-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Have you been following their offseason. They have given up experienced but still productive veterans. For old guys that can't play 10 minutes or rookies who are unproven.

Destined4Greatness
08-22-2004, 08:20 PM
Well you are right about there starters, but they weakened their bench. Not to mention they gave up a pinch of perimeter defense. Which should make it easier for us.

Sollozzo
08-22-2004, 09:10 PM
With J.O.'s 126 million dollar contract, he better lead us to a championship sometime. I want to see J.O. take over in the playoffs and lead this team to the finals.

61 wins, central division championships......those don't matter.

All that matters is that championship, and until the Pacers have an NBA championship banner hanging, they won't be an elite franchise.

SoupIsGood
08-22-2004, 09:26 PM
If JO and Artest continue to develop, and JO is a superstar, and artest a star, we will win a championship, or maybe multiple championships. It would also help if just Harrison or Bender, one of them, turns into a solid player.

Joel
08-22-2004, 09:34 PM
I still think you need a more consistant outside threat. SJax is decent, but I really don't think he brings you over the top.

The Pacers are a good defensive team. The Pistons are a GREAT defensive team. I don't see you alterign the lineup to improve on the defensive side, so you need to do something to improve your offense.

Bball
08-22-2004, 10:01 PM
A committment from the top to bottom... from management and ownership to the last guy on the bench.

That is what it'll take.

EDIT: And some luck... Note: The more of the above you have the less of 'luck' that you'll need.

-Bball

RimBender
08-22-2004, 10:26 PM
Winning at least 4 games in the Finals. :p

ROCislandWarrior
08-22-2004, 11:00 PM
I still think you need a more consistant outside threat. SJax is decent, but I really don't think he brings you over the top.

The Pacers are a good defensive team. The Pistons are a GREAT defensive team. I don't see you alterign the lineup to improve on the defensive side, so you need to do something to improve your offense.

If Jon Bender fills the 6th man role this year (you have to admit that there is a very good chance he will, and I will admit there is a very good chance he will be hurt again...no one knows) I think this team has way more offense and shooting than last season team. With Sjax, we now have a guy who can chase rip through screens and rip can't post him up.

It should be a dog fight again... a real dog fight when we meet in the second round.

Peck
08-22-2004, 11:27 PM
Size.

We need more size in the middle.

Our centers are both to short & to weak.

We need another big body to go along with J.O.

Let me restate that, we need another big body with some basketball skills who can guard & rebound to go along with J.O.

We will most likely will NOT win it all if Jeff Foster is the starting center on our team.

SoupIsGood
08-22-2004, 11:32 PM
harrison is probably about as good as any real big cente we can acquire at this point. Unless Tskadalis intrests you.

Sirius
08-22-2004, 11:35 PM
Size.

Let me restate that, we need another big body with some basketball skills who can guard & rebound to go along with J.O.

We will most likely will NOT win it all if Jeff Foster is the starting center on our team.

exactly

Bball
08-23-2004, 01:42 AM
Size.

Well, if we have:
"A committment from the top to bottom... from management and ownership to the last guy on the bench."
... then I'd hope they look to fill voids of that type...

Am I hopeful? Have they ever went the extra mile?

-Bball

beast23
08-23-2004, 12:08 PM
We did try to fill the void. Unfortunately, the Mavs snatched him (Dampier) first.

Although I agree it is not likely, we could win a title with Foster in the middle.

But with the loss of Al in the front court, it will take the following:
Perimeter defense must improve,
Jackson will have to provide perimeter shooting, Reggie must be willing to take open shots,
Artest must improve his perimeter offense,
Croshere must continue to support at C,
Bender must be able to support at PF.

I really think it would take almost all of those to overcome our obstacles and win a title without another center.

Shade
08-23-2004, 12:13 PM

I disagree. The Pistons and Pacers are on the same level defensively. The Pacers, like Team USA, had nobody that could hit a jumper to save their lives. That's what we brought in SJax for.

I would feel a lot more comfortable with another shooter (Reggie?) and a banger inside to go against the likes of Shaq. But we're close. If we stay injury-free, we have as good a shot as anyone this year.

Hicks
08-23-2004, 04:07 PM
I like to think we're a very good defensive team, and Detroit, thanks to superior length and shotblocking, is a very, very good defensive team. With that said, I do agree that if we could have hit our outside shots, we would have been in the position to make the Finals.

SoupIsGood
08-23-2004, 05:52 PM
Something intresting I found out the other day---

even with all this talk of our outside shooting, we were the 9th best team in the league at 3pt shooting at 35.1%.

ChicagoJ
08-23-2004, 05:57 PM
I don't equate outside shooting with three-point shooting. I'd be happy to have someone hit a nineteen-footer consistently.