PDA

View Full Version : Carmello rips Kirilinko's AllStar selection....

Kstat
02-05-2004, 02:20 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_2627845,00.html

some tidbits?

"I deserved to be in there," Anthony said. "But I still have a long career ahead of me. We've got a better record (than Utah). I'm not taking anything away from Kirilenko. It's a big turnaround for the Nuggets. We won 17 games (last season). Not to sound too selfish, but I was a big part of that. . . .

and my personal favorite....

When I saw who was on the reserves, I said, 'Man, I should have been on there.' "Anthony didn't have a problem with Allen's selection, calling him a "household name." Anthony said, "I can see Ray Allen, but Kirilenko, man."

kerosene
02-05-2004, 02:26 AM
That's crazy. AK totally deserved to be selected. What Carmelo is really saying is that "The Western Conference coaches are completely high". If anything Ray Allen, despite being the most consistent WC SG when he has played, shouldn't have made it IMO. He's missed almost half the time up to voting point. His performance since has been great, but still. Crazy.

skyfire
02-05-2004, 02:42 AM
If lebron didn't make it then i think its fitting that melo doesn't either. AK is carrying a team that wasn't expected to win anything to a better than 500 record. I think thats better than being a member of the run and gun nuggets.

Cactus Jax
02-05-2004, 03:38 AM
To me Kirilenko's going to be an all-star for the next 10+ years. If he can consisitently hit the threes and be a little more consistent then he should be in the game every year. Also he's leading a team that was predicted to win no more than 20 wins, to a .500 record.

For Anthony, I think he could've been put in as a two guard; he's only 6'7, I think. The whole starting line-up for the Nugs is playing well, not just Melo.

DisplacedKnick
02-05-2004, 08:16 AM
Ah, Youth ...

Carmelo should just keep his mouth shut - but then how many times have we said that about an NBA player?

Peck
02-05-2004, 08:20 AM
Carm's comments were wrong but King James wasn't above the fray either. When it was mentioned that he could still make the all-star team by an injury to one of the picked players, King James stated that since he didn't get selected to the first team he wouldn't play as a leftover (or something like that).

Ragnar
02-05-2004, 08:21 AM
I just lost a lot of respect for Carmelo. AK deserved to be on that team as much if not more than a lot of players on the All Star team including Ray Allen.

On what planet does Carmello think AK did not deserve it? Is it the all hype and no substance planet that Grant Hill and Vince Carter live on?

Stryder
02-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Wow. Such stupidity from 'Mello's mouth.

Slick Pinkham
02-05-2004, 09:42 AM
Carmelo's a good scorer, but I don't think he's even close to being the most deserving player left off the West roster.

Randolph, Bibby, and Brand to name 3 are far more deserving.

Suaveness
02-05-2004, 10:37 AM
Moron. He needs to keep his mouth shut. There are better players than him in this league, and until he is actually GOOD, then you can talk. Until then, just shut up. No more respect for this guy.

Shade
02-05-2004, 11:12 AM
That's too bad. I really thought Carmello was more mature than that. :shakehead:

ChicagoJ
02-05-2004, 11:51 AM
That's too bad. I really thought Carmello was more mature than that. :shakehead:

Me too. This one really surprised me. Maybe he was having a bad day. :hmm:

Arcadian
02-05-2004, 11:56 AM
I believe that every player feels that the got snub--even Nene. In sports a heavy does of ego/confidence is required. So I don't blame Melo for thinking that.

He was dumb to say it though. When rookies come into the league the NBA needs to send out a memo letting them know that the media is not thier friend. I honestly don't know why any player would want to talk to the media.

sixthman
02-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Must be a slow news day. ;)

ChicagoJ
02-05-2004, 12:25 PM
He was dumb to say it though. When rookies come into the league the NBA needs to send out a memo letting them know that the media is not thier friend. I honestly don't know why any player would want to talk to the media.

Or coach, or GM, or ...

But thier d@#n agents are telling them "there's no such thing as bad publicity." Somewhere, somebody is telling Carmello that its good that he said what he was feeling. :rolleyes:

3rdBattboy
02-05-2004, 01:28 PM
I just lost a ton of respect for Carmello. Anthony can make a point that there numbers are similar but you have to take into account that Ak is playing with alot of young unproven players such as Stevenson and Arroyo, and right now is there franchise player.Hes getting doubled everynight yet hes still putting up terrific numbers and lets not even compare there defensive ability.Ak is a terrific one on one defender as well as being a great team defender.

naptownmenace
02-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Okay, I guess I'll be the only guy to stand up and agree with Carmelo.

I like Kirilenko and other than Artest I don't think there is a more balanced defender in the NBA. With that said, I still think Carmelo was more deserving.

Everyone is mentioning how surprising the Utah Jazz are but the Nuggets are a big surprise as well. They have a better record and yet they don't have one single representative. 'Melo is the leading scorer with 19 a game and second in rebounds, I believe with a little more than 6. Plus, let's not forget that he's doing this in his ROOKIE SEASON!

Also, in 'Melo's defense, when he made those statements he was laughing to himself. He seemed more upset that no Nuggets made the team than anything about AK. He also mentioned that he believed Andre Miller deserved to make the all-star squad and that it wouldn't have bothered him if Dre' made it and he didn't.