PDA

View Full Version : Julian Peterson may end holdout

pollardfreek
08-22-2004, 05:34 PM
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2004/08/22/SPGO78CK6L1.DTL

Chicago -- A radio station has reported that linebacker Julian Peterson likely will end his holdout Monday, but 49ers general manager Terry Donahue said he was not aware of that development.

Forty-Niners flagship station KGO-AM said before its broadcast Saturday night that Peterson could be at camp Monday.

"I haven't heard that," Donahue said. "It would be great if he did."

Peterson has been staying near the 49ers' Santa Clara facility and may be getting anxious to play.

The 49ers and Peterson's agent, Kevin Poston, have been far apart on a contract. The 49ers have offered a six-year, $37.8 million deal with a $15.5 million signing bonus.

The team designated Peterson as its franchise player, meaning he has a standing offer of $6.07 million for this season. The designation also precludes other teams from negotiating with Peterson.

Coaches are concerned that Peterson won't be able to keep up with the changes on defense if he doesn't report soon.

"That's what frightens me about Julian," coach Dennis Erickson said last week. "When he comes in, he has so much to learn. One of two things has to happen: We have to limit our package when he comes in, or not play him."

New defensive coordinator Willy Robinson is incorporating more of a 3-4 defense.

"It's not good for us, it's not good for him. He doesn't want to play when he's not prepared," Erickson said. "Why would a player want to come in not prepared to play in the first game?"

Peterson told Sirius NFL radio recently that he wouldn't hold out during the regular season.

-----------------------------------------

Good news for this year's super bowl champs. Go Niners.

Stryder
08-23-2004, 11:26 AM
Do the Niners have anyone in that Receiving corps worth a crap?

pollardfreek
08-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Do the Niners have anyone in that Receiving corps worth a crap?

They have a brand new bunch of young recievers such as Cedrick Wilson, Brandon Lloyd, and Arnaz Battle. I see this as a huge improvement over Mr. Overrated T.O. Everybody will know their names by the end of the season.

MSA2CF
08-23-2004, 05:24 PM
Arnaz!!!! :pepper: