PDA

View Full Version : Contender/Pretender Vol. 2 - Boston Celtics

Hicks
08-22-2004, 03:39 PM
Borrowing an idea seen on the RealGM Pistons board, we're going to go through, one team at a time, each team in the NBA, and discuss their potential for the 2004-2005, and ultimately decide if that team is going to be a Contender or a Pretender.

I'll start by listing who I think will be the starters, the bench players, and the head coach.

From there it's up to everyone to discuss this team, how good they could or should be, what record they might get, predict how their key players will perform, and ultimately decide if they are going to contend or pretend they are playing for the NBA Championship in 2005.

I'm going to do this in alphabetical order from Atlanta to Washington.

Vol. 2 is the Boston Celtics. :celtics:

Probable starters (if I get these wrong tell me yours)

Banks
Welsch
Pierce
Blount
LaFrentz

Bench: Tony Allen, Ernest Brown, Ricky Davis, Tom Gugliotta, Al Jefferson, Walter McCarty, Kendrick Perkins, Michael Stewert, Delonte West.

Gary Payton refuses to play for them, and never will. Rick Fox is almost certainly retiring, but there's a slight chance he'll play for them.

Head Coach: Doc Rivers

Discuss.:cool:

canyoufeelit
08-22-2004, 04:02 PM
I'm gonna go out on a major limb here and say contender. Why? Because I live there. :cool:

In all seriousness, the Atlantic division is pretty much wide open with the demise of the Nets. 5 way race between Boston, Philly, NY, NJ, and Toronto.

Will Gary Payton play? That's my question.

http://p086.ezboard.com/fsonsofsamhornfrm22.showMessageRange?topicID=1011. topic&start=1521&stop=1527

This is a thread from Sons of Sam Horn, the best damn Red Sox forum you can find. Bill Simmons posts here and believes 100% that Payton will play, saying:

By the way, there's a 100% chance you will hear something exactly like this at the Fleet Center in November:

"Starting at guard, in his 14th year from Oregon State, No. 20... Gar-eeeeeeeeeeeee Payton!!!!!!!"

I believe this because even though he doesn't seem like the insider type, he was the one who reported the GP deal in the first place.

So I say if they can get significant contributions from their promising rookies and, get vintage Payton to play, and the 2001-2002 edition of Paul Pierce shows up, yes, they are a contender for that 3rd seed (remember, new divisional alignment)

And in the playoffs, well... I don't ever count a team with Paul Pierce out. Except for maybe last year's team :laugh:

Ultimate Frisbee
08-22-2004, 04:26 PM
I think Payton will play and start... making Boston a contender in the East and filling out a promising starting lineup.

Their bench isn't half bad and provided they don't keep their 3 point focused style of play, they could be a .500 ish team

Lord Helmet
08-22-2004, 05:28 PM
I think they are contenders but only for an 8th or 7th seed.Their bench isn't half bad with WALTA McCARTIEEE:laugh:But don't get me started on Ricky Davis:rolleyes:

canyoufeelit
08-22-2004, 05:35 PM
I think they are contenders but only for an 8th or 7th seed.Their bench isn't half bad with WALTA McCARTIEEE:laugh:But don't get me started on Ricky Davis:rolleyes:

If they win the Atlantic they get the 3rd seed

Lord Helmet
08-22-2004, 05:40 PM
How does all the new divisions work?Its getting me confused.

Sollozzo
08-22-2004, 05:49 PM
Pacerfan2425, there are 3 divisions in each conference, each has 5 teams.

The 3 division winners are seeded 1-3 in the first round. Let's say the Pacers win the central and have the best record in the east. They would automatically get the 1 seed. Let's say Miami won the southeast and say that New York won the Atlantic and that Miami had a better record.

The seeding would then be
1)Indiana
2)Miami
3)New York

In my example the Pacers have the best record in the east, and let's say that Detroit had the second best record in the east, they couldn't get anything better than a 4 seed because they wouldnt be winning their division.

Burt_Reincarnated
08-22-2004, 05:51 PM
total pretender. They might be ok if they get SAR, he would at least be better than LaFrentz sitting out injured forever, or Gary Payton retiring.

But Danny Ainge, somehow, became even worse at the GM bizz when he failed to even contact Gary Payton before this trade went down. Unless its like some secret plan Danny has to make everyone in the world think he is a total dumbass, while building for the future to win the title in 4 years. Thats what the Boston faithful must be trying to convince themselves and everyone else is going on...

Hawks, Cavs, and Orlando will end up with better records. The only teams I think will be worse are the Nets, the Knicks, Toronto(they are kinda a wildcard) and the bobs.

Celts = lottery most likely

DisplacedKnick
08-22-2004, 05:58 PM
The East is so weak that they have a playoff shot - but so does everyone but Atlanta and Charlotte.

But other than Pierce there's nothing there. A couple of "nice" players and Ricky Davis who will probably lose them 5 games. Doc Rivers will go psycho after watching that team try to defend.

Kegboy
08-22-2004, 06:07 PM
The East is so weak that they have a playoff shot - but so does everyone but Atlanta and Charlotte.

But other than Pierce there's nothing there. A couple of "nice" players and Ricky Davis who will probably lose them 5 games. Doc Rivers will go psycho after watching that team try to defend.

Agreed.

However, if their 3 rookies are as good as advertised, I think they've got a bright future. Not this year, though.

Kegboy
08-23-2004, 01:37 AM
If anyone here buys into The Sports Guy's highly subjective theory that Boston's rookies will be Amazing..

If it were just SG, I'd equate it to KStat raving about Delfino and Dupree. However, I've read a number of other, non-Celtic fan sources who have been impressed with them, too.

Shade
08-23-2004, 12:25 PM
Pretenders. As has been stated, they could get as high as a #3 seed (though I think at this point the Knicks have the inside track there), but most likely they will be the sacrificial lamb for the Heat in Round 2, IF they make the playoffs.

beast23
08-23-2004, 01:18 PM
Pretender.

I'll pick the Pacers to sweep the season series with the Celtics 3-0.

DisplacedKnick
08-23-2004, 01:28 PM
I like all three of their picks but let's face it - Jefferson's 19, Allen's not that good yet - West might do something.

Their other problem is starting a 2nd year PG (I'm assuming GP doesn't show).

They could make the playoffs but they could also win 30.

As for Miami, their problem is depth. I see them winning 50 but being an early out - very susceptible to injuries and Shaq showed us during the playoffs that he's an every-other-night guy (though he could change that with conditioning).

Lord Helmet
08-23-2004, 07:57 PM
Pacerfan2425, there are 3 divisions in each conference, each has 5 teams.

The 3 division winners are seeded 1-3 in the first round. Let's say the Pacers win the central and have the best record in the east. They would automatically get the 1 seed. Let's say Miami won the southeast and say that New York won the Atlantic and that Miami had a better record.

The seeding would then be
1)Indiana
2)Miami
3)New York

In my example the Pacers have the best record in the east, and let's say that Detroit had the second best record in the east, they couldn't get anything better than a 4 seed because they wouldnt be winning their division.
Thanks I originaly knew about the 3 divisions and if you win your division you at least get 1-3 seedings. I didn't understand part about Detriot and since they didn't win their division they would get the 4th seed. I understand it now though thanks.

Kstat
08-23-2004, 08:15 PM
Boston is a contender to make the playoffs. You cant say that they're not as good or better than the other contenders for the 8th seed in the east.

Joel
08-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Put that team in the widwest and they are dead last.. but in the Atalatic, possible conf. champs. Outside of Detroit, Indy, and Miami, the east is a joke.

Hicks
08-23-2004, 09:02 PM
You could put them anywhere, and the Celtics will not be CONFERENCE contenders, just playoffs by default. No way do they get past Detroit, Indiana, or Miami to win the conference.

Kstat
08-23-2004, 09:28 PM
Put that team in the widwest and they are dead last.. but in the Atalatic, possible conf. champs. Outside of Detroit, Indy, and Miami, the east is a joke.

There IS no Midwest division anymore......