PDA

View Full Version : Which would you rather have?

Shaggy
08-22-2004, 02:06 AM
Are reading (which is all I do on this board) everyone roasting the Dream Team after this last lost, the thought went through my mind.

Would you want (and enjoy) an NBA made up of solid, fundamentally sound players like the ones that beat the Dream Team today?

In other words, would you miss spread the floor clear outs, alley oops from the heavens, behind the back passes into the stands, in your face ref b*tching, and the ever present "show me the money" attitude?

Replace all that with backdoor screens, moving without the ball, block outs, spacing, zones busting three point shooting and discipline.

All that being said, I would be bored watching the international game 82+ times a season. While "playing the right way" sounds fine, where is the pizzazz, the showmanship? We pay top dollar to see something that the local JV team can't do.

Of course the best of both worlds would be a team that plays similar to the elite teams in international ball combined with the power and skills of the pro game.

Hey wait. Wasn't that the Celtics of 80's?

In all seriousness, that is one of the things I love most about the Pacers. We have never been the flashiest team, but we are solid. Donnie tends to bring in players who understand the team game and has the basic fundamentals. The 1999-2000 team epitomized that balanced that is missing in today’s NBA.

Curious to hear your thoughts?

Would you really want to watch nothing but fundamental ball or is there something to be said for fast breaks, hang time and crossover dribbles?

Kill Bill (Walton)

Joel
08-22-2004, 02:15 AM
What you described is the Sacramento Kings last year before Webber came back. It was quite fun to watch. When players with NBA skills can play that style of ball, it's highly enjoyable.

Kstat
08-22-2004, 04:33 AM
I'd prefer to have Shaq, Duncan, Garnett, TMac and Kidd out there, and watch them make a mochary of lithuania....but, oh well

dipperdunk
08-22-2004, 06:35 AM
I'd prefer to have Shaq, Duncan, Garnett, TMac and Kidd out there, and watch them make a mochary of lithuania....but, oh well

:amen:

Our "A" squad would win every game by 20+ points. When you send your "B" squad with just 2 weeks prep time and u have to face tough zone defenses then you are ripe for an upset just ask Serbia.

indygeezer
08-22-2004, 07:57 AM
I used to love going to High School basketball. And that was fundamental basketball. Team oriented play never bored me. IIRC that is what made the college game so very popular too...and as you pointed out, there used to be good bball in the NBA. But now, blame whoever you wish, a different mind-set has taken over. The American game has evelved into one large sneaker promotion with everyone vying for a commercial endorsement rather than playing a team game. Even the X_box verision is 1 on 1 competition...your controller vs. mine.

skyfire
08-22-2004, 08:41 AM
Are reading (which is all I do on this board) everyone roasting the Dream Team after this last lost, the thought went through my mind.

Would you want (and enjoy) an NBA made up of solid, fundamentally sound players like the ones that beat the Dream Team today?

In other words, would you miss spread the floor clear outs, alley oops from the heavens, behind the back passes into the stands, in your face ref b*tching, and the ever present "show me the money" attitude?

You are describing the reigning champion Detroit Pistons, who played the team concept to defeat the superstar driven Lakers. Superstars sell merchandise, teams win titles.

If anything, there is less showtime in International play because it is all about winning. You only play a handful of games in a tournament, you dont want a showtime mistake to account for a loss. When you play 82 games a season against a wider range of teams there is more room for showtime.

These teams are using the rules to their advantage and exploiting Team USA's lack of shooting.

indygeezer
08-22-2004, 09:15 AM
You only play a handful of games in a tournament, you dont want a showtime mistake to account for a loss. When you play 82 games a season against a wider range of teams there is more room for showtime.
=====

Excellant point Skyfire

MSA2CF
08-22-2004, 10:30 AM
Fundamentals, definitely.

Young
08-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Fundamentals.

If I wanna see streetball I can turn on ESPN and it is on reagulary.

But i'd like to see some good old fashion fundamentals. Plain and simple. You can still be fundamental and be flashy too. Anyone remember Bob Cousy? Watching old games on Classic I think of him as a mix.

Hicks
08-22-2004, 11:25 AM
Fundamentals with flashy dunks, alley-oops, and passes.

MSA2CF
08-22-2004, 11:36 AM
When I think of fundamentals in the NBA, I think of Tim Duncan...

Bball
08-22-2004, 12:25 PM
Fundamental basketball all the way. 360 slams, windmills, behind the back passes, "allowed" travelling.... etc.... mean nothing when you lose. And make no mistake, well coached SOLID fundamental basketball played by solid team players will win the majority of time.

-Bball

ChicagoJ
08-23-2004, 01:12 PM
A) Fundamentals

B) LMAO @ Recap's avatar, that's hilarious

C) Vacation's over, can we start the season now?

ESPN/ Sports Center/ Fantasy Basketball/ changes to the rules over the last dozen years or so have all destroyed the beauty of watching the world's greatest athletes play a free-flowing, five-on-five game.

Today, Defense = blocked shots, offense = glitzy dunks. :rolleyes:

Let me watch Red Holzman's 1970's-era Knicks, please. And don't try to convince me that they didn't play "D".