PDA

View Full Version : JASIKEVICIUS Sarunas wow

Kstat
08-21-2004, 03:22 PM
He wouldn't make it off the bench in the NBA. The intenational rules always tend to make the euros look better than they really are.

If Sarunas was forced to play man-to-man D, He'd get roasted alive. I also don't think he has the greatest handle in the world, he draws a lot of fouls off of reputation, that wouldnt happen over here, either.

I also challenge how well he can CONSISTENTLY shoot from the NBA 3-point line. He hit a few bombs late in the game, but mostly he was hugging the kiddie line.

I can see him being a 11th or 12th man, but thats all.

PacerStud
08-21-2004, 06:16 PM
The intenational rules always tend to make the euros look better than they really are.
Oh - like that Darko guy - huh ?? ;)

Hoop
08-21-2004, 06:17 PM
He wouldn't make it off the bench in the NBA. The intenational rules always tend to make the euros look better than they really are.

If Sarunas was forced to play man-to-man D, He'd get roasted alive. I also don't think he has the greatest handle in the world, he draws a lot of fouls off of reputation, that wouldnt happen over here, either.

I also challenge how well he can CONSISTENTLY shoot from the NBA 3-point line. He hit a few bombs late in the game, but mostly he was hugging the kiddie line.

Agreed, International BBall is just a totally different game. Now if our guys could shoot like the first 2 Dream Teams, we'd still be dominating. I don't think the reat of the world has improved as much as we have got worse.

bwattai
08-21-2004, 06:54 PM
Sarunas JASIKEVICIUS...actually played ball in the U.S. I played against him in H.S. in 96'. He went to a small school in S.E. Pennsylvania, called Solanco. He played his Senior year with 2 other D-1 players...johnny Miller( Temple/Clemson) and a guy who went to Uconn, but prop 48 got him. JASIKEVICIUS played 4 years at Maryland, and was a solid player in college, at least a 3 year starter. But like was mentioned before, I font think he had the ball handling and defense to make it to the NBA?

birdman
08-21-2004, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't want him on my team anyways, sounds like he has attitude problems. The commentaters were saying he yells at the refs more than anyone they had ever seen and he yells at his teammates.

Young
08-21-2004, 10:47 PM
Here is what Draftcity had to say about him:

Sarunas Jasikevicius
6-4, 200 pounds, PG, Maccabi Tel Aviv (Lithuania), age: 28

Written by Jonathan Givony

Strengths and Weaknesses:

As mentioned already, Jasikevicius is considered the #1 point guard in Europe. He has great height at 6-4 which allows him to see over his opponents and make fantastic passes both in transition and half court situations thanks to his excellent court vision and knack for improvising. He knows how to run a team and thrives when doing so, especially in clutch situations under immense pressure, which is why he should be considered by every NBA playoff team looking for a backup PG this summer. He controls the tempo of the game wonderfully, knowing when to push the ball down the opposition’s throat and when to pull back and regroup for a high percentage shot. He is a world class shooter, averaging 45% from 3 point range in the Euroleague for the season, and 57% in the Israeli league. From the free throw line he shot a remarkable 96% in the Euroleague (70/73), missing only once from the line in the last 13 games (50/51 or 98%). The best part of his game is definitely his demeanor on the court. He is a natural leader that plays with great passion for the game and fierce competitiveness. He loves taking big shots and as you can see by his list of accomplishments he usually succeeds when doing so.

His main weakness is his defense which is not up to par with the rest of his game and is considered weak even for European standards, although he plays on a very offensive minded team. He is not the type of player that a coach can call plays for from the sidelines, but that’s not really a concern considering his usually excellent decision making. Athletically he isn’t extremely quick or explosive which should relegate him to a role as an outstanding backup that can play both the 1 and the 2 spots, especially for a team like the Spurs who have shown the most interest in his services and would help mask his poor defensive by playing him in front of two excellent shotblockers in Duncan and Nesterovic. San Antonio just drafted a PG in Beno Udrih, whose rights are owned by Maccabi Tel Aviv, the team Jasikevicius currently plays for, but it would make sense to either keep him overseas for a year or groom him behind Jasikevicius and Parker for a year or two until he is ready to contribute at the highest level. Parmesa Valenica, one of the top teams in the ACB Spanish league, offered to make Jasikevicius among the highest paid players in Europe this summer, but he decided not to make the same mistake as last summer and see what ends up happening with the NBA.

Why sign him?

He should be considered one of the top 4 playmaking point guards on the free agent market along with Rafer Alston (who just signed a mind-boggling 6 year, 29 million dollar contract) Troy Hudson and Carlos Arroyo. He has no buyout issues and his salary demands should probably be in the same ballpark area of the other top backup PG’s, somewhere around the lower level exception (1.5 million for two years). Other then the Spurs, the Suns (before overpaying Steve Nash) and Celtics have also shown interest. Logic says that the Mavs, Kings, Pacers and maybe even the Heat could get involved. There is a serious shortage of quality backup PG’s in the NBA right now, and teams could do a lot worse then to sign such an accomplished player to backup the 1 spot and maybe even get some minutes at the 2.

His name has been put up there with the top FA points this summer, Rafer, Troy Hudson, and Carlos Arroyo.

I think he'd be better for us than signing Rashard Wright. It's not like we need more defense at PG with Tinsley, AJ, and Eddie Gill thats pretty good and we could use a shooter there.

Bball
08-22-2004, 02:38 AM
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040821/D84JT5200.html

According to this story he wanted to come to the NBA but nobody offered anything.

----
Dream Team Loses Again, but Still Advances
Email this Story

Aug 21, 6:53 PM (ET)

(AP) Tim Duncan of the United States gets fouled by Lithuania's Ramunas Siskauskas during the men's...
Full Image

Google sponsored links
Official Olympic Tickets - Face value official Olympic tickets Room only from £50 per room per nt.
www.sportsworld-athens2004.c

US Olympic Team Visa Card - Get 0% Intro APR & Credit Card Fraud Protection - Apply Now!
www.ChaseCreditCard.com

ATHENS, Greece (AP) - The United States men's basketball team endured another brutal loss Saturday night. But because Angola is playing even worse than the Americans, the Dream Team is in the quarterfinals of the Athens Games.

Lithuanian guard Sarunas Jasikevicius, whose off-target 3-pointer kept his team from pulling off the biggest upset of the Sydney Olympics, didn't miss when it counted in a thrilling 94-90 victory against the United States.

Jasikevicius scored 28 points and hit three in a row from behind the arc as the fourth quarter wound down, including a rare four-point play that put his team ahead to stay.

"You know, Sydney was four years ago. The shot in Sydney, I keep saying, never had a chance to go in," Jasikevicius said. "It was really an impossible shot."

When he got another chance against the Americans, he took advantage, handing them their second loss of the Athens Games. The defeat matches the U.S. team's total from the country's first 68 years of Olympic competition and was only the second since the 1992 Dream Team brought the first pro players to the games.

But Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson and their teammates still qualified for the quarterfinals when Angola lost 88-56 to Greece in Saturday's nightcap. Their opponent will be determined by the results of Monday's games.

The Americans gave their best all-around performance of these Olympics and led for most of the game, but they missed 11 of 33 foul shots to allow Lithuania to stay close.

"We had kind of a meltdown in the fourth quarter," coach Larry Brown said. "We gave up over 90 points. You can't have a game like that defensively and expect to win against a quality team."

Lithuania went 10-for-10 from the line in the fourth quarter before Jasikevicius was fouled by Lamar Odom on a 3-pointer with 2:47 left, shooting a satisfied look Odom's way.

"I just looked at him because he was hollering and screaming before when he was playing defense," Jasikevicius said.

After a miss by Iverson, Jasikevicius made another long-range shot to make it 88-84.

Richard Jefferson answered with a 3, but Jasikevicius wasn't done. He made another 3-pointer to restore a four-point edge, and a turnover by Stephon Marbury was followed by a pair of foul shots by Jasikevicius to make it 93-87 with 57 seconds left.

Lithuania improved to 4-0, clinching the top spot in Group A and joining Spain as the only two unbeaten teams. Saulius Strombergas added 16 points and Ramunas Siskauskas had 14.

"This is, in a way, an incredible win, and in a way it doesn't mean anything," Jasikevicius said. "What does this mean if you don't win a medal? We beat the States. So what? We came here not to beat the States or any other team, we just came here to fight for the medal."

For Jasikevicius, the victory also brought him a measure of satisfaction against the American basketball establishment.

In a league filling up with foreigners, the NBA missed one who was right in their own back yard, playing at Maryland.

"I was a free agent in Europe, and it never came - any offers. They talked about they were interested, but there weren't even any minimum offers," Jasikevicius said. "So I think I'm just not a player for the NBA, because these guys know what they're doing.

"If 30 teams think a player cannot play, I cannot play."

Jefferson returned to the starting lineup and led the U.S. team with 20 points. Duncan added 16.

The Americans forced 20 turnovers and nearly doubled Lithuania's production on points in the paint, but it still wasn't good enough against an opponent with more experience playing together and more poise down the stretch.

"When we get to the medal round. Everybody is 0-0," Carlos Boozer said. "They had some big plays, the four-point play, the 3s, six straight free throws. At the end of the game it seemed like they were running the same play over and over again and we didn't adjust, we didn't switch.

"We're better than this," he added, "I totally believe we're getting better and we should have won this game."

The Americans found ways to penetrate the zone defense, using their own defense to create turnovers and generally looking as crisp as they have since coming together in training camp late last month.

The Lithuanians hit six of their first seven shots and nine of 12, but they committed 10 turnovers in the first quarter. Dwyane Wade's steal and dunk gave the U.S. team its first lead, 24-22, and three of Lithuania's top big men were in foul trouble before the second quarter began.

The Americans beat Lithuania on the boards, created high-tempo baskets with their defense and stayed ahead throughout the second and third quarters. Their missed free throws, however, kept them from pulling away.

Lithuania trailed just 69-67 after three quarters and tied it on the first possession of the fourth. Neither team led by more than two until Iverson hit a 15-footer, Jasikevicius missed a rushed 3-pointer and Iverson sank a 3 from the left wing to make it 79-75 with 4:55 left.

The lead grew to five, but Lithuania kept making free throws before Jasikevicius took over.

Lithuania assistant coach Donn Nelson watched the game from the stands. After Lithuania's close call against the United States in Sydney, he said he'd never coach another game against his home country.

----------------------

-Bball

Anthem
07-26-2005, 10:44 AM
I was looking through the back pages for Kstat quotes about Darko, and stumbled across this. Worth a bump.

canyoufeelit
07-26-2005, 10:45 AM
K-stat strikes again :laugh:

foretaz
07-26-2005, 10:51 AM

got any shoes left??

Kegboy
07-26-2005, 11:05 AM
His main weakness is his defense which is not up to par with the rest of his game and is considered weak even for European standards

But oh, let's trade one of our points to guarantee more PT for the guy. :shakehead: :(

Harmonica
07-26-2005, 11:21 AM
got any shoes left??

Why? He hasn't been proven wrong yet. I'm in the cautiously optimistic camp about Sarunas myself.

PacerNation
07-26-2005, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't want him on my team anyways, sounds like he has attitude problems. The commentaters were saying he yells at the refs more than anyone they had ever seen and he yells at his teammates.

Your environment dictates your attitude. That type of play and behavior is certainly more tolerated over there. It's not like the guy lives under a rock; I'm sure he knows as well as you do (most likely better than all of us) what he'll need to change to be successful. If attitude (a competitve one) is the most we have to worry about, there are far worse gambles to be had in free agency.

PacerNation
07-26-2005, 11:35 AM
His name has been put up there with the top FA points this summer, Rafer, Troy Hudson, and Carlos Arroyo.

Not to mention, if our misgivings are about attitude problems I'd be more concerned about people like Rafer and Carlos; notorious attitude problems beyond those that stemp from being competitive.

Put him up there with Troy Hudson and well, Saras is just a more realistic shot for us.

able
07-26-2005, 11:50 AM
Why? He hasn't been proven wrong yet. I'm in the cautiously optimistic camp about Sarunas myself.

uhhh sorry, but " 11th or 12th man" "not come of the bench in the nba"

Cavs were pusruing this guy to be their starter, Utah wanted him badly and the Pacers signed him for (reportedly) 12 mio over 3 seasons, some writers already have him to be 6th man, so i would say that he is way off with that "prediction"

caution is good, so we don't sell the farm (Tins) yet, but that kind of money for a benchwarmer, not likely.

If I have to make a choice between Kstat's judgement and Larry Bird's, my money is reluctantly on Bird.

Harmonica
07-26-2005, 12:16 PM
If I have to make a choice between Kstat's judgement and Larry Bird's, my money is reluctantly on Bird.

And I'd trust Joe Dumars' judgement over most fans' any day as well, but he did pick Darko over Carmelo. In other words, the experts can be wrong, and oftentimes are. Until Sarunas proves himself in the NBA, I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

Hicks
07-26-2005, 12:31 PM
And I'd trust Joe Dumars' judgement over most fans' any day as well, but he did pick Darko over Carmelo. In other words, the experts can be wrong, and oftentimes are.

So when Donnie didn't think Brad was worth the-- no, nope, not going there. ;) :chuckle:

Since86
07-26-2005, 12:40 PM
And I'd trust Joe Dumars' judgement over most fans' any day as well, but he did pick Darko over Carmelo. In other words, the experts can be wrong, and oftentimes are. Until Sarunas proves himself in the NBA, I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

Darko was picked on potential, not what he's already accomplished. Saras is living up to his potential.

He's Europe's best player, and you're comparing him to Darko. :rolleyes:

Harmonica
07-26-2005, 12:42 PM
So when Donnie didn't think Brad was worth the-- no, nope, not going there. ;) :chuckle:

But Donnie hasn't been proven wrong yet. :shrug:

Harmonica
07-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Darko was picked on potential, not what he's already accomplished. Saras is living up to his potential.

Living up to his potential? He hasn't even played one minute in the NBA yet. And who compared him to Darko?

Since86
07-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Living up to his potential? He hasn't even suited up for the NBA yet.

Then he must have never played basketball then huh? I'll be the first one to admit I know as much about international basketball that the Olympics and otehr tournaments show, but your acting like a baboon could play their style.

You just dismiss his past accomplishments, like they're nothings compared to NBA level.

indytoad
07-26-2005, 12:50 PM
But Donnie hasn't been proven wrong yet. :shrug:

Well, neither has Joe D for that matter. Neither decision is looking too good at the moment though.

IndyToad
Just for today

Since86
07-26-2005, 01:02 PM
And who compared him to Darko?

So because Darko isn't working out as planned, we should hold our breaths now?

That's usually known as a comparison.

Harmonica
07-26-2005, 01:18 PM
So because Darko isn't working out as planned, we should hold our breaths now?

That's usually known as a comparison.

No. I wasn't comparing players. If you go back and read able's original post, he said he trusts Bird's judgement over Kstat's. I merely brought up Dumars and Darko to show that the so-called experts aren't always right. Hence, my being cautiously optimistic about Sarunas.

Harmonica
07-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Well, neither has Joe D for that matter. Neither decision is looking too good at the moment though.

IndyToad
Just for today

Explain to me how the decision to let Brad go isn't looking too good at the moment. I've never heard your opinion on the matter (no one else jump in please—I don't want this to turn into another Brad debate). I think quite the opposite, by the way.

Jermaniac
07-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Its not looking good at the moment cause everyday we have to make up trades about how we are going to get a scoring center. Brad brought that, we would have kicked the Pistons asses in the ECF if we had Brad.

Harmonica
07-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Its not looking good at the moment cause everyday we have to make up trades about how we are going to get a scoring center. Brad brought that, we would have kicked the Pistons asses in the ECF if we had Brad.

We never got past the first round with Brad. Next.

Jermaniac
07-26-2005, 01:42 PM
We never got past the first round with Brad. Next.What a bull**** argument, we never got past the first round with Jermaine back then either but he got a 7 year and 126 million dollar deal. NEXT

Hicks
07-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Next time anyone has a question that they only want one person to answer, they should PM him or this will happen.

Since86
07-26-2005, 01:45 PM
No. I wasn't comparing players. If you go back and read able's original post, he said he trusts Bird's judgement over Kstat's. I merely brought up Dumars and Darko to show that the so-called experts aren't always right. Hence, my being cautiously optimistic about Sarunas.

I'll go with example then.

Manu would be the best example to use when referring to Saras. He was on the last team other than Saras to win a Euro-championship, and I'll go out on a limb and say that the Spurs got lucky with picking him with the 54th(?) pick.

Using Darko as an example is still rediculous. Darko was 18 when he was drafted, and was/is raw as raw can be. Saras is a polished player that has been tested over the past 4 yrs in Euro league, and international competition.

indytoad
07-26-2005, 01:50 PM
We never got past the first round with Brad. Next.

I agree with you that I don't want to see another Brad thread, so I'll just try and sneak in a couple comments and be on my way.

First off, I don't think that particular stance that I quoted is very accurate. I think the first-round exits have to be mostly blamed on Thomas' ineptitude and general immaturity of the team. You make it sound like you're putting all of the blame of that loss on Brad, who I really don't think deserves it.

Mainly, I just don't see how letting an All-Star center go for pretty much nothing is a good move. His play in Sacramento has made it clear it wasn't a fluke. Sure he had some weaknesses - for one, a lot of people try to make the case that he's injury-prone, but no more than JO or Tinsley and certainly no more than Pollard.

No one can know for sure how well he would have played against Detroit in 04, but as I recall we were seriously lacking in any kind of scoring from anywhere, which is why Jeff got almost no play later on. I can't help but think that Brad could have helped out a bit in that area.

In a few years Harrison may be even better if he lives up to his potential and would have rendered Brad redundant, but I'd rather have too many good centers than not enough.

Now let's be on our way. Brad Miller who?

IndyToad
It's time for people

Moses
07-26-2005, 02:03 PM
I agree with you that I don't want to see another Brad thread, so I'll just try and sneak in a couple comments and be on my way.

First off, I don't think that particular stance that I quoted is very accurate. I think the first-round exits have to be mostly blamed on Thomas' ineptitude and general immaturity of the team. You make it sound like you're putting all of the blame of that loss on Brad, who I really don't think deserves it.

Mainly, I just don't see how letting an All-Star center go for pretty much nothing is a good move. His play in Sacramento has made it clear it wasn't a fluke. Sure he had some weaknesses - for one, a lot of people try to make the case that he's injury-prone, but no more than JO or Tinsley and certainly no more than Pollard.

No one can know for sure how well he would have played against Detroit in 04, but as I recall we were seriously lacking in any kind of scoring from anywhere, which is why Jeff got almost no play later on. I can't help but think that Brad could have helped out a bit in that area.

In a few years Harrison may be even better if he lives up to his potential and would have rendered Brad redundant, but I'd rather have too many good centers than not enough.

IndyToad
It's time for people
The apocolypse has come. IndyToad actually made a non trolling post..I always knew you had it in you. *Gives IndyToad a pat on the back*

Harmonica
07-26-2005, 02:28 PM

I'm not putting the blame on Brad at all. I was being sarcastic because of Jerm's wild hypothesizing. But, if you're going to put the blame primarily on Isiah, it should be noted that had we re-signed Brad, we wouldn't have fired Isiah and hired Rick, thus paying two coaches at the same time.

True, but we're talking about Brad, not JO, Tins or Pollard.

Brad was injured after the 2004 all-star break, so it's a stretch to think that he would have been the difference-maker in that series because it's doubtful he would have been 100%, or even lasted through three rounds of intense playoff competition. And I'm going to go by history here. Brad has yet to be a big factor in the playoffs. So again, this is just wild speculation on anyone's part, at best.

Exactly. Thanks for the response.

Gamble
07-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Living up to his potential? He hasn't even played one minute in the NBA yet.
I am not trying to get anything started here but to me sars is living
up to his potential so far. Playing in the NBA isn't the only test of a
players ability to lead or to make plays for his team. Many people think
the NBA is some hardcore rough and tough defense which to me is far
from the truth. If you were to ask yourself who plays great D in the
NBA who would you say? SPurs, Pacers, Pistons and thenn..... Hard pressed
to find dedicated teams after that. Mind you i do believe the Euro basketball
is less defensive overall but as well the NBA is less team focused. A one
man show is what it has become so to me he has lived up to what a
combo guard is suppose to do. Make the clutch shots, good basketball IQ,
keeps the ball moving and most of all play like your getting paid a million dollars.

indytoad
07-26-2005, 03:03 PM
The apocolypse has come. IndyToad actually made a non trolling post..I always knew you had it in you. *Gives IndyToad a pat on the back*

Hey, thank... ...wait a minute...

Exactly. Thanks for the response.

No problemo.

IndyToad
That fan is too loud

Harddrive7
07-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Hey, thank... ...wait a minute...

No problemo.

IndyToad
That fan is too loud

Indytoad a troll? First I've heard of it. I don't know how long I've known Indytoad. Years I'm sure. But a troll? I think not.

Isr-g
07-26-2005, 05:01 PM

ACTUALLY ,to be fair and corect , he's not the "best player"(Parker is the MVP of the last season..and I hope nobody is planning to take him from us :arrgh: )
but he's nodoubt the "best PG" and the MVP of the last f-4! http://www.euroleague.net/noticia.jsp?temporada=E04&jornada=25&id=723 he was chosen to the"First team for 2004-05" http://www.euroleague.net/noticia.jsp?temporada=E04&jornada=24&id=543
& "all-Euroleague team for 2003-04"
http://www.euroleague.net/noticia.jsp?temporada=E03&jornada=22&id=673

Skaut_Ech
07-26-2005, 08:24 PM
<snip> Playing in the NBA isn't the only test of a
players ability to lead or to make plays for his team. Many people think
the NBA is some hardcore rough and tough defense which to me is far
from the truth. If you were to ask yourself who plays great D in the
NBA who would you say? SPurs, Pacers, Pistons and thenn..... Hard pressed
to find dedicated teams after that. Mind you i do believe the Euro basketball
is less defensive overall but as well the NBA is less team focused. A one
man show is what it has become so to me he has lived up to what a
combo guard is suppose to do. Make the clutch shots, good basketball IQ,
keeps the ball moving and most of all play like your getting paid a million dollars.

Nice, Gamble, nice.:thumbup:

The arrogance that makes us discount players from any league other than the NBA is the same American attiitude that is helping the world erase the gap between us and them in international competition.

I, for one, am extremely excited at the prospect of seeing Saras on this team. What's funny, and I don't think people realize they're doing it, is making the same disses on Saras that other fans used to make about Reggie: He's one dimensional, doesn't play D, etc.

Not to say Saras is going to be another Reggie, but this team needs a guy like him, perceived deficiencies aside. The key is that he is a COMBO guard.

D can be taught much, much better than offensive efficiency and I think we have a system that can help Saras be better at D.

Your environment dictates your attitude. That type of play and behavior is certainly more tolerated over there. It's not like the guy lives under a rock; I'm sure he knows as well as you do (most likely better than all of us) what he'll need to change to be successful.

Amen. The guy isn't an idiot and he's played in America. One guy comes to ind immediately when I look at Saras.......Scott Skiles. Same kind of "no-back-down" competitor. To be honest, I want someone who screams at his teammates. I want someone who gtes PISSED when he loses.

I'm of the minority in thinking that this team is a bit rudderless in that we don't have a true on the court leader. (and don't tell me it's Jermaine, folks. :laugh::rolleyes:) I'm guardedly optimistic that Saras can go a long ways towards providing that. If the guy can earn the team's trust, they go through some battles together where he proves himself, he can be the guy who helps push us a little closer to a title.

I gotta tell ya, guys and gals, I am very hyped about this acquisition. Very. I'll remain pragmatic, but I think this is a big step in the right direction. I don't see him paying immediate dividends, but one of my big issues about why this team won't get past the second round in the coming season has to do with leadership.

I'm very curious to see how the addition of Saras will mesh with Artest. I don't think the guys will fight or anything like that. I just wonder how Ron's and Sara's determination together will work.

My firsdt thought is about Tinsley. Do you put his veteran skills with the second unit for better flow, while Saras starts :chin2::idea2::1oops:with Ron and JO to ease him better into meshing? This acquisition raise a TON of questions for me. I won't go into them now. Better for another thread.</snip>