PDA

View Full Version : Lets go back to the 2002 NBA draft

Roaming Gnome
08-20-2004, 09:55 PM
I would have taken Rush then....and now.... I definately would have taken Kareem Rush.

MSA2CF
08-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Freddie Jones? Doesn't he play TE for the Arizona Cardinals? :p

MagicRat
08-20-2004, 10:03 PM
Can I say Prince or Boozer?

SoupIsGood
08-20-2004, 10:06 PM
Then I would have taken Rush, now I would take Jones.

Young
08-20-2004, 11:41 PM
Then Karrem Rush.

Now I would not have picked either. I would have picked Taysan Prince. [Then traded for Freddy because he likely would have been avaliable in the late 1rst early second.]

ChicagoJ
08-21-2004, 12:59 AM
Jiri Welsch

Vicious Tyrant
08-21-2004, 01:06 AM
Curse you Jay - you stole my answer!

I vote Jiri, too. It's tough to deny Kareen wouldn't nicely fill a need, though.

ROCislandWarrior
08-21-2004, 01:10 AM
This is a no brainer...Tayshaun Prince

W/O Tayshaun guarding Ron, Artest doesn't blow chunks in the ECF

Kegboy
08-21-2004, 01:36 AM
Jiri Welsch

Wow. I can't believe you said that Jay. Remind me the next time he's in town, and I'll try and figure out what you see in him.

Vicious Tyrant
08-21-2004, 01:41 AM
Kegboy, I know you were talking to Jay, but since I said the same, I'll answer too: I don't really like Jiri all that much, I just wanted to impress everyone with my elephantine memory. IIRC, the prevailing wisdom had the Pacers picking Kareem or Jiri. Please like me.

Kegboy
08-21-2004, 01:49 AM
Kegboy, I know you were talking to Jay, but since I said the same, I'll answer too: I don't really like Jiri all that much, I just wanted to impress everyone with my elephantine memory. IIRC, the prevailing wisdom had the Pacers picking Kareem or Jiri. Please like me.

:hug:

ChicagoJ
08-21-2004, 01:55 AM
Kareem - will never be a full-time starting SG.

Freddie - IMO, will never be a full-time starting SG (ducks, hey where's Suaveness been anyway?)

Jiri - probably won't be a full-time starter but he can play two positions (SF/SG) offensively and was originally advertised as a potential combo guard so presumably he can handle the ball (and, yes, I know, he plays absolutely no defense whatsoever, but its August and I'm Chuck Person's biggest fan, so I don't always factor defense into my analysis.)

GO!!!!!
08-21-2004, 08:31 PM
Freddie

what he did @ the Slam Dunk Comp makes him worth every cent

if anything all I'd ask for is he be 6'7 and change his name to Freddie Miller

RimBender
08-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Freddie

what he did @ the Slam Dunk Comp makes him worth every cent

if anything all I'd ask for is he be 6'7 and change his name to Freddie Miller

Uh, winning a dunk contest makes him worth every cent?

I don't understand.

Anyways, I would have taken Kareem. Mizzou used to be one of my top colleges and he was real big back then, he was great and still is/will be, as he shown in the late parts of last season.

Suaveness
08-21-2004, 10:04 PM
Lots of Freddie nonloving here.

Freddy then, Freddy now. The guy is just better than Rush, and he can play D.

Kegboy
08-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I think you got to go with Freddie. While I don't feel he's starting material, I still have high hopes that he can become a very good 3rd guard. He's a terrific defender and slasher, with an improving shot.

As for Rush, I'll take an all-around player over a one-dimensional one any day, even when shooting is such a lost art today.

SoupIsGood
08-21-2004, 11:00 PM
Yeah, Freddie could become a great 3rd guard for us. Almost like what Bobby Jackson was for the Kings, except not quite that good. I'm really looking forward to a guard rotation of Tinsley/Jackson/Jones in the coming years.

Young
08-22-2004, 12:18 AM
I'd take Freddie over Rush every time. However, I think that we can all agree in hindsight that Prince was the best option.

Yeah if Isiah wasn't our coach at the time we probably would have gotten Prince.

I'm still happy with Freddy though.

Shade
08-23-2004, 03:34 PM
I would have taken Rush then. Between the 2, I'd take Freddie now.

Rush = open shots, thanks to Shaq

Pig Nash
08-23-2004, 10:32 PM
weren't boozer and tony parker after our pick? or was parker the year before?

sixthman
08-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Boozer went number 35 in 2002. I also like Darius Songaila taken at 50 and, to some extent, Flip Murray at 42. Really 2002 was a poor draft year.

Tony Parker was drafted before 2002. He was picked the same year as Jamaal Tinsley, the pick right after Jamaal.

Sollozzo
08-24-2004, 10:03 AM

The guy is going to be a third string SG next season, that's just the way it is. He will never start for this franchise. He will never be able to get on the level of SJAX.

I'd trade him in a heartbeat if the right deal came along.

blanket
08-24-2004, 11:29 AM

The guy is going to be a third string SG next season, that's just the way it is. He will never start for this franchise. He will never be able to get on the level of SJAX.

I'd trade him in a heartbeat if the right deal came along.

Freddy has already started a few games for the Pacers. :p

But I get the point you're trying to make -- I just don't agree with it. :whoknows:

Sollozzo
08-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Let me rephrase that then, Fred JOnes will never be a full time starter.

Roy Munson
08-24-2004, 12:39 PM
I would have taken Rush then. Between the 2, I'd take Freddie now.

Rush = open shots, thanks to Shaq

That's exactly right. The Rush-Lovers are going to find out this season that without a wide-open three-point line caused by shaq in the middle, Rush will be an ineffective player.

And to anyone who says Freddy will never be an NBA starting guard....He was the Pacers best 2 guard in the ECF last year, why WON'T he ever be good enough to start in the league? That is just aburd?

What if he played for a lower-tier team? Would he be good enough to start? Of course he would.

Sollozzo
08-24-2004, 12:43 PM
I'm not saying he won't ever be good enough to start in the league, I'm just saying he will never start here.

Stephen Jackson will be the long term starter at SG, no way Fred ever beats him out for the job.

Just face it, Fred is a third string guard next year.

SoupIsGood
08-24-2004, 08:32 PM
SJax is not that great of player to where he is for sure the full-time long term starter, IMO. PLus, it's possible he comes here, and plays like crap now that he has a long term contract. Or doesn't fit our system. Or doesn't play becasue he turns the ball over too much.

Freddie may never start, buthe could fill the combo guard role for us, and play starter minutes. That would be just as valuable as a starter.