PDA

View Full Version : Contender/Pretender Vol. 1 - Atlanta Hawks

Hicks
08-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Borrowing an idea seen on the RealGM Pistons board, we're going to go through, one team at a time, each team in the NBA, and discuss their potential for the 2004-2005, and ultimately decide if that team is going to be a Contender or a Pretender.

I'll start by listing who I think will be the starters, the bench players, and the head coach.

From there it's up to everyone to discuss this team, how good they could or should be, what record they might get, predict how their key players will perform, and ultimately decide if they are going to contend or pretend they are playing for the NBA Championship in 2005.

I'm going to do this in alphabetical order from Atlanta to Washington.

Vol. 1 is the Atlanta Hawks.

Probable starters (if I get these wrong tell me yours)

Delk
Childress
Harrington
Walker
Drobnjak

Bench: Jason Collier, Chris Crawford, Boris Diaw, Royal Ivey, Donta Smith, Josh Smith

Head Coach: Mike Woodson

Discuss.:cool:

Roaming Gnome
08-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Contender...For last in the east! Atlanta is just one of those teams that has a lot more losing to do before they get any better. In the NBA, there just seems to be teams that are destined to be terrible. The Atlanta Hawks are one of the premiere teams that's dependable at underachieving. If it were not for the Dominique era and being a #1 seed in 1994 (the worst in history, though), they would have the same legacy as the Clippers.

SoupIsGood
08-20-2004, 10:07 PM
Prentender. However, if they can somehow upgrade at Center. (Stro Swift?) and everyone stays injury-free, they might snag a playoff spot.

sweabs
08-20-2004, 10:18 PM
Pretender.

It will be interesting to see how Walker and Baby Al get along on the court...I'm sure they are both going to want that ball A LOT.

Roaming Gnome
08-20-2004, 10:23 PM
Pretender.

It will be interesting to see how Walker and Baby Al get along on the court...I'm sure they are both going to want that ball A LOT.

Funny thing...They will want the ball a lot and they will get the ball a lot because they are the only two on that team worth having the ball. Trust me, there will be more then enough to go around!

MSA2CF
08-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Al will make the Pacers pay for trading him; he will eat up that waste of space Reggie Miller as he and the Hawks glide to an undefeated 82-0 season, en route to the first of eight consecutive NBA Championships. :trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy::t rophy::trophy::champions:

Roaming Gnome
08-20-2004, 10:31 PM
Al will make the Pacers pay for trading him; he will eat up that waste of space Reggie Miller as he and the Hawks glide to an undefeated 82-0 season, en route to the first of eight consecutive NBA Championships. :trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy::t rophy::trophy::champions:

:weed: :weed: :weed: :weed::weed:
:weed: :weed: :weed::weed: :weed:
:weed: :weed::weed: :weed: :weed:
:weed::weed: :weed: :weed: :weed:
:weed: :weed: :weed: :weed::weed:
:weed: :weed: :weed::weed: :weed:
:weed: :weed::weed: :weed: :weed:
:40oz: :afrosmoke: :smokin: :bong:

;)

Kstat
08-20-2004, 10:49 PM
Al Harrington will make the all-star team next season.That said, the hawks aren't a contender, even in the east. The only team I see them better than is the Bobcats.

purdue101
08-21-2004, 12:33 AM
I think Diaw will start at SG ahead of Childress. I view Childress as a SF, he would get eaten alive by the likes of Pierce, AI, T-Mac, Carter, etc. if he played SG.

The team as a whole will most likely finish behind the Bulls and Bobcats for last place in the East.

Vicious Tyrant
08-21-2004, 01:14 AM
I'm going to go on the record saying the Hawks will go nowhere (bold prediction, I know) and Al will not get anywhere near the all-star game.

I think he just lost something after the injury and I don't see him getting "it" back. He'll score some points, probably, but not do much else. He'll be a non-factor for some time to come.

That said, I'd love to be wrong. The guy just charmed the heck of me and a lot of others when he came into the league and I hope he regains whatever it was he had, cause he sure ain't got it now, IMHO.

Hicks
08-21-2004, 01:31 AM
I predict that even if Al plays like an all-star, he will not make the all-star team due to being on a bad team.

I think the Hawks at best will win 35 games, at best. Pretenders for sure.

Kegboy
08-21-2004, 01:48 AM
They need some serious beef. Al's strong, but he's undersized to play the 4 full time, which he will do by default cause Walker will be hanging out at the arc all day long. Drob is at best a decent change-of-pace center, certainly not a bruiser. I'm still flabergasted by them signing Collier. They could overpay to get Swift, but I don't know how well he'd fit in on this team.

As for the backcourt, they've got a once-great 3rd guard with diminishing skills starting at point, and either a rookie who can't defend or a euro who can't shoot starting at the 2. All in all, this is one ugly team.

If they're not last in the East, either Woodson's a hell of a coach, or Charlotte implodes due to injuries and bad coaching (not a stretch, with Bickerstaff running things.)

Peck
08-21-2004, 03:39 AM
You've hit on a good point & one that really should be looked at by people who keep advocating some of the poor teams should get cap. space.

It never works.

Denver is the first team that I can remember who has been able to get decent with the addition of a key free agent (Andre Miller) however it must be noted that Denver sucked & sucked bad for years. Also it must be noted that they also were able to draft a key player (Anthony) & made a couple of good trades (bringing in Nene & Camby)

So, in review, Cap. space for perinial losers is worthless.

No star player wants to go to a team that has no chance of winnig.

Trades & drafts with some key free agents is really the only way to go.

Burt_Reincarnated
08-21-2004, 05:42 AM
Hawks will be a Contender to get in the Playoffs this year. I like what they have done so far, though it seems incomplete. It is a good start by bringing in AL and Walker, both are great players, that can be a core to build on.

I can see them getting 8-6th seed, and a .500+ record.

Joel
08-21-2004, 05:50 AM
The Hawks are the worst team in basketball. That lineup is laughable. They are a team full of average SF's. Charlotte will be much better than the Hawks on the virtue of youth and enthusiasm.

Hicks
08-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Hawks will be a Contender to get in the Playoffs this year. I like what they have done so far, though it seems incomplete. It is a good start by bringing in AL and Walker, both are great players, that can be a core to build on.

Weren't you the one saying if we trade Artest for Stojakovic, we'd be lucky to win 40-45 games? If so, how in the world can you say that this team is gonna do as well as what you say the Pacers would do with that one difference?

Lord Helmet
08-21-2004, 11:46 AM
Pretender The Hawks will win at best 25-35 games.But Al will be happy finally now that he can start.:rolleyes:

Ultimate Frisbee
08-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Pretender... unless Josh Smith is really as good as he showed in the summer leagues.

I don't think the roster will stay the way Hicks listed it throughout the entire season (or even the entire first week of the season). I think Childress will come off the bench.

Shade
08-21-2004, 04:20 PM
Pretender. At the absolute best, the 7th or 8th seed in the East. Most likely out of the playoffs altogether. Their starting line-up is loaded with reserve-style players, and they have no bench.

Shade
08-21-2004, 04:21 PM
The Hawks are the worst team in basketball. That lineup is laughable. They are a team full of average SF's. Charlotte will be much better than the Hawks on the virtue of youth and enthusiasm.

No way the Hawks finish below the Bobcats. Not a chance.

Burt_Reincarnated
08-21-2004, 04:43 PM

Weren't you the one saying if we trade Artest for Stojakovic, we'd be lucky to win 40-45 games? If so, how in the world can you say that this team is gonna do as well as what you say the Pacers would do with that one difference?

Ron and AL is/was 2 of the 3 best players on the team, that's how. SJ, the supposed saviour shooter, doesn't shoot very well. With AL gone they lose alot of size and power, SG shoots bricks from the perimeter. If Ron was gone, yet another banger gone. JO the only post player left. Wheres the post game? Undersized with no physical d.
They will be alright if they keep Ron. That's how good and valuable I think Ron is to the club, about a +10 game swing, even if they traded for Peja, please note the lack of size and toughness is a big part of my diagnosis. I think Peja is a great player. Pacers need Ron more though.

Ultimate Frisbee
08-22-2004, 02:37 PM
Hey Hicks, can we get the 2nd one of these?? I like this idea...

SoupIsGood
08-22-2004, 03:41 PM
time to start anew