PDA

View Full Version : More changes at ESPN???

Kegboy
08-20-2004, 01:36 PM
JONES COULD BE HEADED FOR NETWORK'S NBA-CASTS (http://www.nypost.com/sports/18850.htm)

By ANDREW MARCHAND
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
August 20, 2004 -- ESPN is on the verge of signing former "NBA on NBC'' game analyst Steve (Snapper) Jones, according to sources.

At NBC, Jones was best known for balancing out his co-analyst Bill Walton's outrageousness. While a return engagement as Walton's partner doesn't seem out of the question, Jones is expected to start with Jim Durham, who will move over from radio to TV. Durham's spot opened when Brad Nessler returned to college hoops full-time.

"We have yet to finalize our NBA commentators," an ESPN spokesman said.

From St. John's via Baldwin, L.I., Howie Schwab never aspired to have his own show. But after 17 years as an ESPN researcher, Schwab not only has his own program, his name is in the title - Stump the Schwab - and his Air Jordan-like silhouette logo is plastered all over the set.

"I never said, 'Hey, I have to get on TV,'" the 43-year-old Schwab said. "I don't exactly have a face for TV. I certainly don't have a body for TV.''

The trivia-based program owns an appealing fast pace. This type of innovative sports programming is a positive aspect of head honcho Mark Shapiro's ESPN.

As for Schwab, there has been some new territory to cover. Prior to the show, he had a two-hour photo shoot. ("Tyra Banks, I'm not," he said.) He has a hair and makeup consultant. He wears various old-school uniforms. ("If I had my way I'd wear all New York uniforms," he said.) And he is asked for autographs. The final Stump The Schwab is Friday at 7:30 p.m. on ESPN.

Fox Sports Net is interested in swiping Pardon the Interruption's Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon from ESPN, sources said.

"I have no comment," Fox Sports Net executive vice president George Greenberg said this week.

Kornheiser's and Wilbon's contracts are up soon, though ESPN won't confirm it. Shapiro said FSN's interest is "news to me.''

If anything, Fox Sports Net gives Kornheiser and Wilbon some leverage with ESPN. If that doesn't work, then pulling out tapes of PTI with Skip Bayless should do the trick. (:laugh:)

With ESPN2's morning show, Cold Pizza, needing to spice it up, co-host Thea Andrews added some red pepper while talking about the Olympic TV coverage Monday. After TV Guide's Eric Feil said, "Bob Costas had the highest degree of difficulty during the Opening Ceremonies," Andrews asked, "Why, because he had to work with Katie Couric?" Ouch!

Cold Pizza is being revamped with the addition of Around The Horn's Woody Paige. ESPN execs probably would be wise to slice the show in half to one-hour.

First of all, I'm sad to see Nessler go. I know a lot of people never warmed up to him, but I liked him.

Jim Durham, big thumbs down from me. And don't even get me started on Snapper.

Well, I can't stand Fox Sports, but I'd welcome the move. I still haven't forgiven ESPN for canning DA, and with PTI gone, I'd have no reason whatsoever to watch the channel anymore. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they leave, too. I think Tony has never forgiven the big-wigs for his "vacation."

And lastly, Thea on Cold Pizza is really cool. The show would be better served if they cut it down, however.

PacerStud
08-20-2004, 01:55 PM
ESPN seems to be a little full of themselves and wandering away from what made them great at one time - pure and simple sports.

Hicks
08-20-2004, 04:02 PM
No more Nessler??

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Kstat
08-20-2004, 04:04 PM
I love Snapper, I cant wait to hear him do NBA games again. I'm also a fan of Jim Durham.

Woody Paige will be a good addition to Cold Pizza. Finally a face I recognize.

Roaming Gnome
08-20-2004, 04:34 PM
:highfive::yes:Snapper Jones and Bill Walton back together again! :thumbsup:

:dancingbavetta:All they need is Bob Costas and I might forget about the NBA on NBC. :jump: But, I doubt it!

Kstat
08-20-2004, 04:50 PM
Bob is really the only thing keeping NBC afloat, I doubt they'd ever let him go.

Dare to dream, though......

Cactus Jax
08-20-2004, 05:01 PM
The main guy ESPN needs to get rid of is Stuart Scott. He ruins every single thing that he hosts; Stump the Schwab, the ESPN 25 Greatest series, the ESPN anchor show, and even Sportscenter now. He used to be good until his ego soared into the stratusphere.

Roy Munson
08-20-2004, 05:10 PM
:highfive::yes:Snapper Jones and Bill Walton back together again! :thumbsup:

:dancingbavetta:All they need is Bob Costas and I might forget about the NBA on NBC. :jump: But, I doubt it!

A bit of trivia: Did you know that Steve Snapper Jones and Bill Walton were teammates in Portland in 1975-76? The year after Jones retired was the year the Blazers on the championship.

Jones career was "well-traveled", and he was a good player. He started in 1967-68 with the Oakland Oaks in the ABA, after a good college career at the University of Oregon (another good 'Jones' came out of that school 34 years later). Snapper averaged 10 ppg in his rookie year with the Oaks.

He played the next two season with the New Orleans Bucanneers. In 1968-69 he averaged 19.9 ppg while teammate Jimmy Jones (no relation) averaged 26.6. That team had a 46-32 record and finished 2nd in the ABA west. The following season the two Jones' lead the Bucs again, but this time Steve (21.5 ppg) was the team's leading scorer followed by Jimmy (20.7 ppg).

In 1970-71 the Bucs moved to Memphis where they were known as the Memphis Pros. Snapper led the team again with a 22.1 ppg average.

In 1971-72 he played for the Dallas Chapparals where Jones was the second leading scorer on the team with a 18.3 average. The leading scorer for that team was non other than Donnie Freeman (24.1 ppg) who played the next two season with the Indiana Pacers.

He was traded early in the season in 1972-73 to the excellent Carolina Cougars team in 1973 which won the ABA East with a 57-27 record, but lost to the Kentucky Colonels in the Division finals. He teammates on that Carolina team included Billy Cunningham, Mack Calvin, Joe Caldwell, Tom Owens and Ed Manning.

A sidenote to the 1973 season...while he was still with Dallas at the beginning of the season he played with Bob Netolicky, and another teammate on that team was Nick Jones (his brother).

In 1973-74 he started with Dallas, but was traded mid-year to the Denver Rockets. where he played with Ralph Simpson and Dave Robisch.

1974-75 saw him play for the Spirit of St Louis with noted teammates Marvin 'bad news' Barnes, Freddie Lewis, Maurice Lucas,
Goo Kennedy and Fly Williams (imagine "Goo" and "Fly" on the same team).

In 1975-76 he played his final season back in his hometown or Portland, but he was one season too soon. His teammates on that Portland team included leading-scorer, big-time ballhog, and complete jerk Sidney Wicks, Geoff Petrie, Bill Walton and Lionel Hollins. Snapper averaged 6.5 ppg on that Blazer team.

After that he retired, and started working for the Blazers in their promotions dept and as a color analyst on the radio.

But with that kind of NBA history, it is no wonder that he has had a successful broadcasting career. He's had a ton of interesting teammates and has a lot of good contacts around the NBA.

MSA2CF
08-20-2004, 07:47 PM
The main guy ESPN needs to get rid of is Stuart Scott. He ruins every single thing that he hosts; Stump the Schwab, the ESPN 25 Greatest series, the ESPN anchor show, and even Sportscenter now. He used to be good until his ego soared into the stratusphere.

:amen:, but I disagree with the "used to be good" part.

Cactus Jax
08-20-2004, 09:13 PM

:amen:, but I disagree with the "used to be good" part.

Is used to be adaquete, or used to be livable better for your tastes? :rolleyes: ;)

Roaming Gnome
08-20-2004, 10:21 PM
Ya know...I'm the audience that ESPN is trying to cater to with Stuart Scott (black, male, age 24-35). But, I never have liked Stuart Scott's schtick from the very first day. I always felt like what he was doing was contrived, forced, and worst of all...FAKE. Kevin Frazier (I speak of his FSN days) accomplishes everything that Stuart Scott does without looking like a total ***. I could go on about how ESPN has not amounted to a steaming pile of >>>:horsedoo:.....But, that is nothing new!

Kegboy
08-21-2004, 01:30 AM
I l..o..v..e..d..loved Stuart Scott back when he was doing NBA2nite, and even I've gotten sick of him. He's like Star Trek, he needs to go away for ten years and then come back with some new ideas.