PDA

View Full Version : Spurs escape Stanko

Cherokee
10-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Stanko Barac has 17 points, 11 rebs. vs. Spurs, but his team loses 108-85. Here is the box: http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=301016024

IndyHoosier
10-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Why haven't we taken a shot with him yet? He sounds better than Solo or Jeff.... Will we ever?

bballpacen
10-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Why haven't we taken a shot with him yet? He sounds better than Solo or Jeff.... Will we ever?
Doubt that we will ever be able to lure him over to the states...

BlueNGold
10-16-2010, 11:26 PM
He doesn't appear to be a bad player....but 17 points in 20 attempts against mostly scrubs is not real impressive. Also 5 fouls. I suppose he played against Duncan some, but without seeing the game it's hard to gauge.

If he is ready to backup Hibbert, now is the time. I just doubt that he is.

Lance George
10-17-2010, 12:05 AM
Isn't Lorbek considered the better NBA prospect?

IndyHoosier
10-17-2010, 12:43 AM
He is used to Euroball. Maybe if he focused on the NBA game, he could produce good backup minutes. I don't think it would be hard to "lure" a Euro player not named Rubio to the NBA IMHO.

31andonly
10-17-2010, 04:43 AM
He is used to Euroball. Maybe if he focused on the NBA game, he could produce good backup minutes. I don't think it would be hard to "lure" a Euro player not named Rubio to the NBA IMHO.

Not so sure about that. They earn good money and partly play important roles, getting big minutes in their clubs.

Especially for unknown prospects (Barac?!), joining an NBA team would mean both a decrease in salary as well as becoming a rotational player - fighting for 5 minutes of playing time.

If I were Barac, I'd seriously consider staying in Europe.

Kegboy
10-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Well, this game could certainly be the seed that gets him thinking about coming over. But I don't think the odds are good that he ever does.

Justin Tyme
10-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Not so sure about that. They earn good money and partly play important roles, getting big minutes in their clubs.

Especially for unknown prospects (Barac?!), joining an NBA team would mean both a decrease in salary as well as becoming a rotational player - fighting for 5 minutes of playing time.

If I were Barac, I'd seriously consider staying in Europe.

AND they play less than half the NBA games for their money.

Justin Tyme
10-17-2010, 10:29 AM
One of the things about Euro bigs is they shoot the 3. I'm not interested in a center shooting 3's.

I believe both Lorbek and Stanko have present contracts that are not overly conducive to being able to come to the NBA. I'd just as rather use them as trade sweetner for something the Pacers can use now.

Hibbert
10-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Larry Bird would not of wasted his time going over seas to watch him play this past week against Memphis if there was not a chance for him to be a Pacer. We hold rights to him still so I think if there was interest he would be a Pacer. Similar to Roy the past two years, Barac has a big problem with fouls. I don't know much about him and I have not heard anyone rave about him but Bird and the Pacers taking time out and money to go see him play is obviously a sign that there is interest. I would like to see what he is capable of doing in the NBA, the two games his team has played against NBA teams this pre-season he can obviously hold his own, rebound, block shots, even score. I would welcome him here and we could use some fresh legs and add depth to a position where we are pretty weak in depth at.

flox
10-17-2010, 01:54 PM
One of the things about Euro bigs is they shoot the 3. I'm not interested in a center shooting 3's.

Of the recent bigs that came over, Splitter and Peklovic doesn't.

Of the Euro bigs who came over, I can think of plenty of them who don't shoot the three. Gasol, Gasol, Varejao, Nene, etc.

Stanko, if he comes over, can probably be one of those. He didn't shoot any 3's when he was over here and probably only has midrange range here- which is fine for a big.

BornReady
10-17-2010, 02:01 PM
He is an interesting prospect, as is Lorbek, but we need to focus on trimming our roster before we can think about adding more players!

Ozwalt72
10-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Stanko has probably 2 years before he can come over, Lorbek can come over next year (And I'm starting to think that's a real possibility)

And here is what Cordobes said about both around 7 months ago:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=51960

If Stanko keeps playing this way, his NBA appeal increases dramatically. Barcelona struggles to defend guys with his size and strength down low, it's probably their main (and only?) weakness. Not very worrying for them: when they decide to double they are able to help, rotate and recover extremely well.

Rubio is shooting 47% from behind the line this season. His stand-still set shot is very good. Ivanovic tried to zone him because he was creaming them with his first step but it should be obvious by now you can't give that kind of space to Rubio. He need to work in a real jumper, with elevation and a pull-up though.

Almost every ACB game is available in their site (including past games). Games with the top teams are generally pretty good.

Barac is making €500K per year in net salary (after taxes) + fringe benefits (house, car,etc.). Let's say €525K net salary; which would translate to a $1.3 millions/year NBA salary (exchange rate+taxes). His contract goes till 2012 with no buyout clause and I don't see his club releasing him for nothing. LLE type of contract for a few years to bring him over in the near future. He isn't worth that. Maybe in the future he will, but not now.

I don't know how much Lorbek is making. He certainly has one of the highest salaries in Europe. He makes at least the double of Barac's salary. If I had to guess, something in the €1.1 millions to €1.4 millions zone. The earliest you can bring Lorbek over is in 2011 anyway.

No, I wouldn't compare any of them to Bargnani. I'd compare Barac to... I don't know, maybe Aaron Gray or someone like that. Barac has been playing surprisingly well this season, maybe he's better than Gray now but he's a similar player.

Lorbek is a very skilled player like Bargnani but in a different way - he's much more versatile, not nearly as good as a shooter, a better shot-creator but smaller. It's tough to find a NBA comparison to Lorbek. The canonic one is a shorter and smaller Pau Gasol, but his length is a big part of Gasol's game - it allows him to do everything, scoring, rebounding and defending, better than Lorbek. A player who compares really well to Lorbek is Georgetown's Greg Monroe. Monroe is a better passer and has higher IQ, Lorbek is much more skilled down low (Monroe can catch him up there in the future), but they're very similar players.

As for your questions, I can't know for sure. I'd say that there hasn't been much interest from the Pacers (Stanko Barac isn't a NBA quality player; and even Lorbek is a relatively late bloomer) + contractual situations. I'd be surprised if the Pacers don't try to sign Lorbek or use him in a trade once his contract is up.

Doddage
10-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Of the Euro bigs who came over, I can think of plenty of them who don't shoot the three. Gasol, Gasol, Varejao, Nene, etc.
Varejao and Nene aren't Euros, FWIW.

Justin Tyme
10-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Of the recent bigs that came over, Splitter and Peklovic doesn't.

Stanko, if he comes over, can probably be one of those. He didn't shoot any 3's when he was over here and probably only has midrange range here- which is fine for a big.

I may have over sterotyped Euro bigs, but the ones that I can think of who do are Okur, Bargnani, Dirk, Radmanovic, Ilyasova, Kleiza, etc. I'd rather have my bigs playing in the paint with an occassional mid-range shot to keep the opposition honest. JMOAA

Ozwalt72
10-17-2010, 04:42 PM
I'd rather have my bigs playing in the paint with an occassional mid-range shot to keep the opposition honest. JMOAA

You just described Stanko. Good job.

Justin Tyme
10-17-2010, 05:47 PM
You just described Stanko. Good job.

It maybe, but I'm not interested in him. It may be his style game, but doesn't mean he's good at it or more importantly can play it in the NBA. I prefer to use him as trade fodder for someone that can help now not 2 years down the road. JMOAA

flox
10-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Varejao and Nene aren't Euros, FWIW.

Neither is Splitter, but both Splitter and Varejao played in Europe and in Euroleague.

I may have over sterotyped Euro bigs, but the ones that I can think of who do are Okur, Bargnani, Dirk, Radmanovic, Ilyasova, Kleiza, etc. I'd rather have my bigs playing in the paint with an occassional mid-range shot to keep the opposition honest. JMOAA

I wouldn't considering Rad or Kleiza bigs- I consider them wings, but point taken. But you do see other Eurobigs who bang as well- Elson, Oberto, Rasho, Scola.

McKeyFan
10-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Is Stanko a Turkish name?

flox
10-17-2010, 06:21 PM

I think he's from the former yugoslavia

CableKC
10-17-2010, 07:17 PM
With Solo and Foster out of the PF/C rotation by the 2011-2012 season and the Capspace...I can see having the space to try to get Lorbek over here.

BringJackBack
10-17-2010, 09:09 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Lol. Thats what Danny said.

cordobes
10-18-2010, 05:32 PM
After I wrote that, Stanko Barac get injured and he didn't play much more for the rest of the season - 2 or 3 games at most.

This season will tell us quite about Barac. He'll finally have the opportunity to be a starter and play +20 minutes regularly. Let's see if he can go through a 60 games season with good health and sustain a good level of play.

As of now, I wouldn't count on him to be a backup center. Not good enough of a player for that. Nothing more than deep reserve that you can use situationally when you need a really big body out there. We'll see what he shows this season with a larger role. He also needs to get quite a bit quicker to improve his NBA appeal.

cordobes
10-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Oh, I didn't watch this game vs. the Spurs, but I watched the one they played vs. Memphis and Barac played Marc Gasol pretty evenly - so much that their stat line after 16 minutes of play was identical except for the personal fouls. Other than that, they had the exact same numbers - minutes, FGAs, FGMs, Rbs, Assts, TOs, FTS, everything, it was very odd.

Still, Barac was frequently a step late trying to help on dribble penetration and contesting shots at the rim.

flox
10-18-2010, 05:55 PM
he's still on the tau team right? aren't they known for good bigmen (scola, m.gasol, splitter?)

cordobes
10-18-2010, 06:04 PM
he's still on the tau team right? aren't they known for good bigmen (scola, m.gasol, splitter?)

That's correct, Tau Baskonia is now Caja Laboral Baskonia (TAU and Caja are sponsors). Marc Gasol didn't play for them, but they're a superb club scouting raw talent and developing players regardless of their position - that's why they are able to be amongst the European elite year after year in spite of having much smaller financial resources than clubs like Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Scola, Oberto, Splitter, Calderon, Garbajosa, Nocioni, Rakocevik, Ukic... they're pretty good finding out nobodies and transforming them into good players. Barac was supposed to be another of those cases, but so far his development has been underwhelming.

flox
10-18-2010, 06:11 PM
Ah..thats a pity. There is still hope since this is his first year starting I believe? He's been behind Splitter for the past few seasons I know that- and he's had foot injuries? I know mentioned it before in this thread but just wanted to make sure.

Skaut_Ech
12-15-2010, 12:23 PM
I've been mulling over what next season can bring and what we're setting ourselves up for, so it made me wonder how our overseas prospects are doing. Thought this may be of interest to some.

http://www.crunchsports.com/category/Euroleague/Caja-Laboral-v-BC-Khimki-%2819-45-GMT-20-45-CET%29-201012090052/

"Despite the loss, the Laboral got another huge game from Stanko Barac, who is the league’s top-rated center this season."

http://forums.interbasket.net/f42/stanko-barac-15212/

a forum discussing Stanko

http://www.slamonline.com/online/other-ballers/international/2010/11/euroleague-preview-week-6/

"Stanko Barac is making people in Vitoria forget about Tiago Splitter;"

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.solobasket.com/tags/stanko-barac&ei=6PYITY6qL8T68AbT_71r&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CD0Q7gEwAjgy&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dstanko%2Bbarac%26start%3D50%26hl%3Den %26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26tbs%3Dqdr:m%26prmd%3Divon

The above is a translated page about Stanko's growing confidence.

Until his recent injury, he seemed to be getting quite a bit of hype, even garnering MVP honors at one point.

Speed
12-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Back up center spot looks open next year, if you are ever going to do it, next year makes sense. Solo and Jeff aren't under contract, that leaves you no true center on the team. Not sure of the contract situation though and what he'd expect to earn.

CableKC
12-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Hmm....totally forgot about Stanko. Are there any buyout or contract concerns to bring him here next season?

Speed is right....we do need some Big Man depth if Foster and Solo aren't coming back. To be fair...I'd rather try out Stanko then continue Solo. I like that Solo is doing better as of late....but I'm not entirely sold on him...I'd rather try something new if we are going to start totally fresh with a new Coach/philosophy/etc in the 2011 season.

vnzla81
12-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Can he shoot the three? because that is what we really need.............

xBulletproof
12-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Can he shoot the three? because that is what we really need.............

Does this need to be in EVERY topic on the entire board? Seriously? This is the type of inane and redundant response that dumbs this place down.

Mr. Sobchak
12-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Does this need to be in EVERY topic on the entire board? Seriously? This is the type of inane and redundant response that dumbs this place down.

Ignore list is your friend ;)

cordobes
12-15-2010, 01:46 PM
I made a note on some other random thread awhile ago: Stanko Barac signed an extension with Caja Laboral last month. It goes till 2015, IIRC. Let me pick a link:
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/arti.asp?newsid=45042

Yeah, he was playing well. Still a bit uneven and inconsistent though. A great game followed by a bad one. He was clearly growing into the kind of player he was supposed to become, or at least close to it. Then again, another nagging injury... it's allays been Barac's problem. Some eye-popping great play in a sea of inconsistency, followed by injuries and a period of consistent subpar production. Rise and repeat. We'll see how he does till the end of the season. If he's able to sustain his production from early one and reduce the number of those awful afternoons/evenings, he's clearly a NBA player.

Lance George
12-15-2010, 03:42 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3L4daRCeQjk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3L4daRCeQjk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

xBulletproof
12-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Damn, one of those coaches looked like Skeletor.

vnzla81
12-15-2010, 03:57 PM
He looks slow, maybe if he gets into the Hibbert training he could do better.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9tqGNJmrurw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9tqGNJmrurw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Justin Tyme
12-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Trade fodder type possible sweetner for him and Lorbek. I'll be real surprised if either don a Pacers uni.

pacer4ever
12-15-2010, 04:31 PM
He looks slow, maybe if he gets into the Hibbert training he could do better.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9tqGNJmrurw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9tqGNJmrurw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

that is horrible for a highlight reel lol

vnzla81
12-15-2010, 06:08 PM

Says the guy that likes to argues about about nothing all the time.............

dal9
12-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Damn, one of those coaches looked like Skeletor.

dennis hopper

xBulletproof
12-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Says the guy that likes to argues about about nothing all the time.............

Says the guy you can't see how many people thanked it.

So go ahead and blow it off as "just xBulletproof" wanting to argue. :laugh:

vnzla81
12-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Says the guy you can't see how many people thanked it. So go ahead and blow it off as "just xBulletproof" wanting to argue. :laugh:

:growup: ............ :twocents:

MLB007
12-15-2010, 06:29 PM

How does someone 'sound' better than another player? :hmm:

xBulletproof
12-15-2010, 06:45 PM
:growup: ............ :twocents:

Yes, I need to grow up because other people agreed with what I said. :laugh:

That's absolutely infallible logic you've got there sparky.

I'm going to take someone's advice and ignore you. You're a joke.

Kegboy
12-15-2010, 07:26 PM
How does someone 'sound' better than another player? :hmm:

http://www.israbox.com/uploads/posts/2009-08/1249454198_1249402483_cover.jpg

bulldog
12-15-2010, 08:06 PM

I understand your point, but the beauty of a commenting board is that topics people want to discuss will be discussed, and topics that aren't interesting or are repetitive will be ignored. There is very little cost to a "useless" post.

Also, most people check into pacersdigest infrequently, so aren't as sensitive to repetitive ideas as some of you regulars.

On the other hand, calling out specific posters for "useless" comments stifles discussion and leads to the kind of digressions and bad blood we see in this thread.

So I would just let it be.

judicata
12-15-2010, 08:10 PM

Airline food is unacceptable, black people and white people are different, and dating is difficult. Also, stretch fours!

xBulletproof
12-15-2010, 08:23 PM
On the other hand, calling out specific posters for "useless" comments stifles discussion and leads to the kind of digressions and bad blood we see in this thread.

I understand what you're saying. It's like telling someone to shut up at a movie theater. You're making more noise by doing it.

Regardless of that, after seeing the same person posting some sarcastic comment about how the Lakers didn't trade for a big who can shoot the three, or how we can't use this guy, or that guy because he can't shoot in every damn thread humanly possible, it gets annoying. To be honest, if bringing something like that to someone's attention that everyone else notices it, then it's probably worthwhile veering off in one thread to save every thread created from there on out.

Of course that would require someone realizing that they were acting in a way that's annoying. So probably a good bet it won't happen. Hence why I used ignore.

12-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Says the guy you can't see how many people thanked it.

So go ahead and blow it off as "just xBulletproof" wanting to argue. :laugh:

http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/365/dr_evil1.jpg