PDA

View Full Version : JOB WILL START WHO AT SMALL FORWARD FOR THE REST OF PRESEASON IN PLACE OF GRANGER

TooBigNdaPaint
10-16-2010, 09:29 PM
JOB has already alluded to the Indy Press that Dun-Dun, Danny, and George are his best Wing players. Since Granger is out for the rest of the preseason and JOB wants George as his first WING off the bench, who starts at SF? More than likely, JOB will move Dun-Dun to SF and start someone else at SG. Does anyone beg to differ?

I, personally, would like to see Brandon Rush 'start' for the last few preseason games at SG. He needs the 'burn time' to mesh with Collison and he's a much better defender than Dun-Dun (although there's alot of man-love for Dun-Dun on this board). If Rush has improved and/or kept his 'game' at the end of the last season's level, he'd more than likely reclaim his starting gig at SG anyway.

Dun-Dun, in my opinion, is a much better shooter when his legs are not fatigued especially late in games (when he has the tendency to shoot the rock more than warranted and/or his defender will usually lock him down). I'd like to see Dun-Dun well rested in the 4th QTR when we need his outside shooting to help close out games.

pacer4ever
10-16-2010, 09:30 PM
2much4u

BringJackBack
10-16-2010, 09:31 PM
PAUL GEORGE SHOULD START OVER DANNY GRANGER FOR THE REST OF THE PRESEASON.

TooBigNdaPaint
10-16-2010, 09:36 PM

Makes sense to the casual observer but JOB would want to get your players used to the ROLE they will more than likely have when the regular season starts. Since they project Danny to return by the first regular season game, JOB will probably start someone else or just give George more burn time because he needs playing time to get his shot going and get more into the defensive flow of the game. Besides, Pacer fans may just see Indy's future on the court developing before their very eyes.

Sookie
10-16-2010, 09:39 PM
He's gonna start Posey. Just watch.

xBulletproof
10-16-2010, 09:41 PM
It's preseason. No excuse to not play George. George has been getting a lot of time when OB said he was playing the guys he planned to go with in the regular season. So why not?

pacer4ever
10-16-2010, 09:42 PM

i will turn the tv off if that happens. Posey is sad

ChristianDudley
10-16-2010, 09:44 PM
George needs all the minutes he can get, and meaningful ones too. How will he get "meaningful" minutes? By starting and also staying in games when they're going down to the wire. That is how you develop your youth faster, but O'Brien hasn't figured that out with anybody during his tenure here.

Sookie
10-16-2010, 09:49 PM
i will turn the tv off if that happens. Posey is sad

He's said he's not starting George. He won't play Rush. And I think after last game Dahntay's earned a permanent seat on the bench. I suppose he could start AJ at the 2, but we've only got 2 point guards healthy. That leaves Posey.

pacer4ever
10-16-2010, 09:51 PM
He's said he's not starting George. He won't play Rush. And I think after last game Dahntay's earned a permanent seat on the bench. I suppose he could start AJ at the 2, but we've only got 2 point guards healthy. That leaves Posey.

maybe Lance lol j/k JOB would not do that i wish. If Paul doesnt start or play 35mins i will be mad.

TooBigNdaPaint
10-16-2010, 09:54 PM
George needs all the minutes he can get, and meaningful ones too. How will he get "meaningful" minutes? By starting and also staying in games when they're going down to the wire. That is how you develop your youth faster, but O'Brien hasn't figured that out with anybody during his tenure here.

Holy Shxt Batman, you HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD about JOB's total failure to develop his stable of young athletic players. McBob proved last year that he was close to competing for more burn time but JOB just ignored his contributions as he grew accustom to the speed of the game. He's doing the same thing this year with Lance and Magnum by playing Dun-Dun too many damn minutes. Yes, he wants to WIN games but the fan base wants to SEE our future stars developed now!!!! George needs the minutes and it may just CLICK for him one day very soon and then watch out. Same for Lance. This boy is ready to contribute now and will be a beast out there with his physicality. Same with Tyler. You can tell that he's finally getting used to the speed of the game. It's obviously slowing down for him because he's now repeating what he did in college. It can be ugly at times but WINS are always pretty.

BringJackBack
10-16-2010, 09:57 PM

Where did the quote about George come from? Just curious.

Day-V
10-16-2010, 10:00 PM
JOB WILL START WHO AT SMALL FORWARD FOR THE REST OF PRESEASON IN PLACE OF GRANGER

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0RTc32qBpAk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0RTc32qBpAk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

pacer4ever
10-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Holy Shxt Batman, you HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD about JOB's total failure to develop his stable of young athletic players. McBob proved last year that he was close to competing for more burn time but JOB just ignored his contributions as he grew accustom to the speed of the game. He's doing the same thing this year with Lance and Magnum by playing Dun-Dun too many damn minutes. Yes, he wants to WIN games but the fan base wants to SEE our future stars developed now!!!! George needs the minutes and it may just CLICK for him one day very soon and then watch out. Same for Lance. This boy is ready to contribute now and will be a beast out there with his physicality. Same with Tyler. You can tell that he's finally getting used to the speed of the game. It's obviously slowing down for him because he's now repeating what he did in college. It can be ugly at times but WINS are always pretty.

U hit the nail on the head if Lance doesnt get mintues. Wat was the point of drafting him? He could be a relly nice role player this year but JOB fails in the department. This guy can drop buckets on anyone in the league uggg JOB

2minutes twowa
10-16-2010, 10:10 PM
I hope it's George. Use this as teaching time for the young guy. I wouldn't bee too upset if he did slide Dun to the 3 and started Rush at the 2. Hard telling though with JOB!

Sookie
10-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Where did the quote about George come from? Just curious.

Mike Wells on twitter

speakout4
10-16-2010, 10:18 PM
I want to see a starting 5 of Collison, George, Granger, Tyler/McRob, Hibbert. I can't imagine drafting George at the 10 slot to be a backup SF. That reasoning escapes me. The combination of George/Granger should give the pacers the #1 and 2 scorers. There is no reason given on this board to indicate that George can't play the 2.

Anthem
10-16-2010, 10:32 PM
I'd like to see a 3-man wing rotation of Dunleavy and George, with Brandon Rush coming off the bench.

pacer4ever
10-16-2010, 10:35 PM
I'd like to see a 3-man wing rotation of Dunleavy and George, with Brandon Rush coming off the bench.

me 2 but JOB is so short term minded he isnt going to play B rush

BlueNGold
10-16-2010, 10:35 PM
I want to see a starting 5 of Collison, George, Granger, Tyler/McRob, Hibbert. I can't imagine drafting George at the 10 slot to be a backup SF. That reasoning escapes me. The combination of George/Granger should give the pacers the #1 and 2 scorers. There is no reason given on this board to indicate that George can't play the 2.

This.

The lineup you describe puts the most talent on the floor and represents at least 4 of the 5 future starters on this team barring a significant trade.

IMO, George simply needs to be on the floor at all times. He may turn out to be both our best defender and best offensive player in a few years. He really does have that much talent...and I don't think he will be allowed to rot on the bench because Pacer ownership knows what they have in this young man. Perhaps the best player in the history of the franchise.

Yes, I'm over-excited about Paul and exaggerating...but that's what my crystal ball shows for him.

pacer4ever
10-16-2010, 10:38 PM
This.

The lineup you describe puts the most talent on the floor and represents at least 4 of the 5 future starters on this team barring a significant trade.

IMO, George simply needs to be on the floor at all times. He may turn out to be both our best defender and best offensive player in a few years. He really does have that much talent...and I don't think he will be allowed to rot on the bench because Pacer ownership knows what they have in this young man. Perhaps the best player in the history of the franchise.

Yes, I'm over-excited about Paul and exaggerating...but that's what my crystal ball shows for him.

agree 1000%

focused444
10-16-2010, 10:50 PM
mike wells

indystar.com

http://www.indystar.com/article/20101016/SPORTS04/10160383/1062/SPORTS04/Granger-hurt-expects-to-return-for-season-opener

Indiana Pacers small forward Danny Granger will be out as long as 10 days with a sprained left ankle. He injured it on a drive to the basket in the first half of Friday's game against New Orleans.

Granger will be back in time for the season opener at San Antonio on Oct. 27 barring any setbacks.

Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said he's not sure who will start in Granger's place in the final two preseason games at Minnesota on Tuesday and Chicago on Friday.

Rookie Paul George isn't an option to start because O'Brien wants him to get use to being the first wing player off the bench.

Point guard T.J. Ford should be back in the lineup for the Chicago game. He re-injured his right hamstring in the third quarter against the Hornets.

It appears as if it will not be George.

TheDon
10-16-2010, 10:50 PM

This. You beat me to it that was the first thought that popped into my head. I thought what aging vet could he use to suck up oour young guys' minutes that can hit a 3 pointer and isn't on JOB **** list lately...oh yeah...posey! Pencil it in. I'd almost go as far as that bet jermaniac had a few seasons ago where he said if we lose by less than 19 to the suns he would cut off hiis foot or eat his hat. I think I might be confusing two separate bets though:confused: but I'm not quite that sure that JOB won't prove me wrong. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

speakout4
10-16-2010, 11:20 PM
me 2 but JOB is so short term minded he isnt going to play B rush
He's short term minded because he needs to win to keep his job just like everyone else. He has no job security other than this year's paycheck.

CooperManning
10-16-2010, 11:21 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if PG24 gets more minutes at the 3 than anyone else, despite not starting. We'll finally know how much JOB hates Rush after this. It will be quite a statement if he gets another DNP.

focused444
10-16-2010, 11:33 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if PG24 gets more minutes at the 3 than anyone else, despite not starting. We'll finally know how much JOB hates Rush after this. It will be quite a statement if he gets another DNP.

I get what your saying here, but if JOB is willing to keep PG24 from starting to establish his role come opening night. Isn't it fair to assume he's not playing Rush because he has no role on opening night?

The more I think about it Posey makes sense. Being a veteran who can adapt to any role, he shouldn't be taken out of his element no matter what he's asked to do.

I still want to see Rush play.

pwee31
10-16-2010, 11:45 PM
He SHOULD start Dunleavy at SF, and then Rush at SG

CooperManning
10-16-2010, 11:51 PM
I get what your saying here, but if JOB is willing to keep PG24 from starting to establish his role come opening night. Isn't it fair to assume he's not playing Rush because he has no role on opening night?

Perhaps, but I believe JOB wants to establish PG24 as the first wing off the bench for the majority of the season, not just the first five games. That said, it's definitely true that there's not necessarily a correlation between Rush's playing time in the next two games and games 6-82 of the regular season.

Hicks
10-17-2010, 12:00 AM
When Danny went out, he put Dahntay in to start the 3rd. He may do that again.

vnzla81
10-17-2010, 12:07 AM
I think he is going with Collison, DJ, Dun, Mcbob and Hibbert

PacersPride
10-17-2010, 12:15 AM

posey doesnt deserve a roster spot let alone starter minutes. with that said, you might be right knowing O'brien tendencies.

oddly enough, i have to agree, PG24 should not start yet. however, 6 minutes in and pg24 needs to ready.

point may be moot anyways, 33 is gonna start the opener.

TheDon
10-17-2010, 12:21 AM
Honestly if I had to pick between Dahntay and Posey, I think I'd go with Posey. That being said I'd pick me to be the starting small forward before I had to watch Dahntay Jones play one more second on our team.

BringJackBack
10-17-2010, 12:27 AM
In this, Jim just needs to use his common sense and know that Paul George is a better player than James Posey or Dahntay Jones. Enough said right there.

PacersPride
10-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Honestly if I had to pick between Dahntay and Posey, I think I'd go with Posey. That being said I'd pick me to be the starting small forward before I had to watch Dahntay Jones play one more second on our team.

lol. i wonder how many ballers we got on this site. this is off topic but im guessing quite a few. i play myself once a week and have been over at the fieldhouse on the northside once or twice, some real good comp, college level anyways. injuries have derailed my game but i can still hang with the players at the fieldhouse and sometimes even dominate when in shape anyways.

back to your point. if i had to choose b/t the two probably go with posey as well, b/c jones is a sg not a sf. eveyone does seem down on jones. i personally think jones is pis*ed about not getting PT and the possibility of being dealt. long term wise.. i take jones over posey.

jones is scrappy and agressive, he has a niche.. posey simply shoots 3's and is not the defensive force he once was. plus the contract is much less. like to see posey dealt, and move dun to the backup sf position.

damn i miss the days when the pacers were expected to win 50 in their sleep.

PacersPride
10-17-2010, 12:34 AM
In this, Jim just needs to use his common sense and know that Paul George is a better player than James Posey or Dahntay Jones. Enough said right there.

ive only been lucky enough to watch one game this preseason but pg24 looks real damn smooth. not to get overly optimistic but i can see how many think he will be a stud in a few seasons.

and he can D up.. his shot is fluid.. ray allen fluid. no doubt he is better than either player.. but still, he is a rook and i think he comes off the bench until his game matures further. doesnt matter who starts really, its who finishes the games and pg24 should get his minutes this season.

pacer4ever
10-17-2010, 02:46 AM

better than them combined lol

Peck
10-17-2010, 12:34 PM
I am looking at this from a different view point than most I guess.

I actually take the news about Paul George from O'Brien as a very uplifting and bright comment.

That means that Jim (I don't play rookies according to some) O'Brien has a defined role set aside for our # 1 draft choice. Not just any role either, that is either the 6th or 7th man on the roster spot.

I not only applaude Jim I actually am both impressed and amazed that he is making this commitment.

As to who starts the final two games, who cares.

The lineup is set and win or lose Danny Granger is going back to that spot once the season starts and now it appears that Paul George has a secure spot in the rotation as well.

Ozwalt72
10-17-2010, 02:18 PM

I actually take the news about Paul George from O'Brien as a very uplifting and bright comment.

That means that Jim (I don't play rookies according to some) O'Brien has a defined role set aside for our # 1 draft choice. Not just any role either, that is either the 6th or 7th man on the roster spot.

I not only applaude Jim I actually am both impressed and amazed that he is making this commitment.

The lineup is set and win or lose Danny Granger is going back to that spot once the season starts and now it appears that Paul George has a secure spot in the rotation as well.

I completely agree.

I think he's getting a role similar to what Hansbrough and *gasp* Rush had in their rookie years. Now, Hansbrough's injuries messed up that plan for him and Dunleavy's injury pushed Rush into a bigger role than he was ready for, but the intent is the same. He doesn't want to overburden George, but put him into a situation he can thrive.

OB plays his high draft picks. He has the last three years.

OakMoses
10-17-2010, 11:55 PM
There really should be no debate here. Rush should start.

Rush has been told that 3 wing players are ahead of him: Granger, Dunleavy, George. Granger's not playing, George is not starting. You have to start 2 wings.

At this point the message has been sent. If you're getting ready for the regular season, you shouldn't do something stupid that you wouldn't do if the game mattered, like start Posey or Jones.

OakMoses
10-17-2010, 11:56 PM

It's also nice to believe that George has actually earned this role.

McKeyFan
10-18-2010, 12:00 PM
posey doesnt deserve a roster spot let alone starter minutes. with that said, you might be right knowing O'brien tendencies.

oddly enough, i have to agree, PG24 should not start yet. however, 6 minutes in and pg24 needs to ready.

point may be moot anyways, 33 is gonna start the opener.
I am going to counter all the Posey hate.

Did anyone enjoy him knocking down both shots the other night to win the game? I would enjoy getting a steady dose of that throughout the year. He is, in fact, one of the best end of game players in NBA history.

Is he ragged and worn down? Sure. But he is a gamer and a savvy veteran, and he will be helpful when it counts.

I'm ready to see Posey play ten minutes a game, 5 minutes in the last ten minutes, and I am ready to watch him win some games for us.

For the next two years, George, Lance, Josh, Tyler—or whoever he is in for at the end of the game—can take notes and learn how to close out games.

PaceBalls
10-18-2010, 12:21 PM

That's not enough said...

I think this is an example of the disconnect between the fans and coaches. Almost everyone on this board would probably agree with you that PG can be a better player. But right now he is not reliable to follow the gameplan as well as DJones or Posey, especially on defense. While you want your best players on the floor, if they are screwing up the defensive rotations, it makes the team play worse. And lord knows this team needs players on the floor who can be trusted by the rest of the unit to be in the right spot.

I think whenever we play the rookies, it is almost imperitive to have a veteran vocal leader on the floor to direct them on defense.

flox
10-18-2010, 12:44 PM
You do not start a rookie wing when you have better wings in front of him.

End of story.

That said I'm shocked he's willing to give Paul George first wing off of the bench- but hey I'm not the coach.

BPump33
10-18-2010, 12:49 PM
That said I'm shocked he's willing to give Paul George first wing off of the bench- but hey I'm not the coach.

Or are you? :D

Sookie
10-18-2010, 01:00 PM
You do not start a rookie wing when you have better wings in front of him.

End of story.

But he said that his top three wings are Granger, Dun, and George.
Granger's out, Dun's already starting..that leaves George as the best player to take the spot.

That being said, I actually agree with not starting George. I think it's good to give him a stagnant role, being that he's so young and raw.

But I'd start Brandon. I think Posey is a nice vet to have, but I want him to have limited playing time, and if he gets time, I don't want it to be at the expense of Brandon. And Dahntay..he's, unfortunatly, not working here. So don't even bother.

flox
10-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Or are you? :D

If George is my third best wing, as I've said to the media before, he still isn't starting. He probably wouldn't start. It's too early to throw in into the NBA starter fire. Especially when he'll probably hit a rookie wall- the backup spot minimizes this effect.

Unclebuck
10-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Makes sense to keep a young player like George in the role he has been used to so far

BPump33
10-18-2010, 02:09 PM
From Wells:

MikeWellsNBA

Brandon Rush to start for the injured Granger in the final 2 preseason games.

Sookie
10-18-2010, 02:13 PM
From Wells:

MikeWellsNBA

Hey, good decision JOB.

I'll give credit where it's due.

Mackey_Rose
10-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Hey, good decision JOB.

I'll give credit where it's due.

You're right. He should be given credit. It was the smart decision.

But in my opinion, it was the only decision. After Rush has served his 5 game suspension at the beginning of the year he should be starting alongside Granger. He should be there in Game 6. There is no reason to let the suspension hurt Rush or the team more than it needs to by benching him for the preseason. Obviously the team has the right to be upset with Rush for bringing this issue on himself, but just as I said that trading him purely for the purpose of trading him, would be cutting off the nose to spite the face, benching him in the preseason for being suspended for the first 5 regular season games accomplishes the same thing.

Starting him in place of an injured Granger only makes sense. Glad that JOB was able to come to his and make the right call.

OakMoses
10-18-2010, 02:56 PM

O'Brien knows this. That's why George is going to be the first wing off the bench at the beginning of the season while Posey gets scrap minutes at the 4 and Dahntay racks up DNP-CDs.

pacergod2
10-18-2010, 03:47 PM
I would love to see George get a lot of minutes this year. I don't really care who starts or comes off the bench perse, but hopefully next year we get a lot of Granger/Rush/George as our three wing players. Dunleavy will hopefully be a very tradeable piece this year. Say this happens in January or February, when PG has gotten some solid playing time being mixed in with starters here and there. Hopefully we can give him a large chunk of minutes late in the year so he, Rush, and Granger can get into a rhythm heading into next year. If we split the wing minutes between those three we are getting 32 minutes per night of quality play at both spots. Obviously we would mix in a few minutes to other players as well, but you get the premise.

As for the final two preseason games, I would like to see George and Rush start to be honest (or more succinctly, get most of their minutes together). I think both of these guys have something to prove.

In looking at the seasons' rotations, I prefer Dunleavy to come off the bench this year. I think it puts too much pressure on Granger to guard the opponents best wing. Plus, having the veteran Dunleavy getting more minutes with George will help George better understand the flow and speed of the NBA game. I like our little "problem".

Speed
10-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Sorry if it's a repost... From Mike Wells twitter page.

http://twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA/status/27757360303

TooBigNdaPaint
10-18-2010, 07:28 PM
When I started this thread, I had a sneaking suspicion that JOB would eventually announce that Brandon Rush would start (for Granger). It's the best solution if he wants to keep George in his current role for the remainder of preseason. As I had mentioned in the beginning, JOB will probably move Dun-Dun to SF and start Rush at his normal SG position. I really don't like Dun-Dun at SG anyway. Wth his slow foot speed, he's a liability against all starting NBA (athletic) SGs. His best position in the future is with our 2nd unit as SF alongside Paul George as SG. Throw in Tyler (for inside scoring and defense) at the PF, AJ as our PG, and Magnum or Solo as our Center, this 2nd unit will be very athletic and should be able to maintain or gain leads. JOB also needs to find 15-18 minutes per night for Lance who'll be a quick learner and may surprise JOB with his NBA ready game just like Tyler surprised him the other night. Yes, he needs a few games to adjust to the speed of the game (especially at the defensive end) but he'll be a good choice to play at PG/SG in the 2nd of back to back games (when legs get tired, shots don't fall, and our defensive efforts wane). This is exactly the scenario when Lance should get HEAVY minutes. Dun-Dun will need the rest (and Brandon's confidence seems to wane when the team relies on him too much).