PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Bill Simmons ranks NBA teams

IndyHoosier
10-16-2010, 08:21 PM
I only copy/pasted teams 24-28 cause that is where the Pacers fall in his list. Click on link to read the rest :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnfl2010/101015&sportCat=nba

By Bill Simmons
ESPN.com

MORBID CURIOSITY
24. Philadelphia
I thought Evan Turner would be a good pro. Not great but good. I never thought he would be a bust. But when you talk to NBA people, they keep lobbing red flags in the air about him. Bad body language, a step slow, doesn't really have a position, bad fit with Iguodala, Doug Collins already hates him. I taped Tuesday's Celts-Sixers game, zoomed through it and was taken aback. That's Evan Turner? The kid I watched on Ohio State last year? He seemed like an Adam Morrison-esque mess. Now I need to see him in person for an official verdict. Either way, Cousins will haunt the Sixers this season. That's a lock.

PAYING FOR THE OWNER
25. New Jersey
Just in case Mikhail Prokhorov shows up. And I wouldn't mind seeing Derrick Favors or Brook Lopez, I guess. Um
(Yup, we're reaching for reasons. Think we just hit a dip.)

ONLY IF MY DAUGHTER REALLY WANTS TO GO TO EAT POPCORN AND DRINK SODA
26. Indiana
Who's up for Darren Collison, Roy Hibbert, Danny Granger and a bunch of white guys headed back to the lottery again? Anybody?
27. Detroit
28. Charlotte
There are a million reasons Joe Dumars should be fired at this point, but here's the latest: I can't believe he couldn't top Utah's offer for Al Jefferson. Really, Joe, you couldn't have ponied up something like the No. 7 pick and Tayshaun Prince for a true low-post guy? Or, what about overpaying to swap the No. 7 for No. 4 (and take Cousins)? How many times in a GM's career will he have a chance to fleece someone like Kahn? I don't get it. As for the Bobcats, they're in no-man's-land: 35-40 wins, not quite bad enough to bottom out, not quite good enough to be interesting. You never want to be in no-man's-land. More importantly, I wouldn't pay to see anyone on this team. Not even you, Captain Jack.

(Follow-up note: If you're looking at rosters simply from a "What roster would you NOT want going forward these next five years?" Charlotte would be first, then teams 26, 27, 29 and 30 on this list would round out the bottom four. The common thread? They're all Eastern Conference teams. Weird.)

BringJackBack
10-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Lol. The white guys thing isn't really valid anymore to be honest. Wonder why he hates us so much? Maybe Bird did something to him or something.

He's still funny though, when he's not repeating the same stuff 10,000 times over the past four years.

Day-V
10-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Just a point of order:

This isn't necessarily the best teams. It's teams he'd most like to spend season ticket money on.

BRushWithDeath
10-16-2010, 08:35 PM
We still start two white guys and two of our backups are white. That's a lot more than most teams. Not that I care.

BringJackBack
10-16-2010, 08:38 PM
I probably shouldn't have even opened this up because I already knew what it said.

Day-V
10-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Maybe Bird did something to him or something.

Oh no, he loves Bird. He still refers to Larry as "Basketball Jesus" whenever he mentions him.

IndyHoosier
10-16-2010, 09:16 PM
I did not know that about Doug Collins already hating Evan Turner. I know it is Bill Simmons but I remember draft time all the comments about him being "NBA Ready". Is he that bad....Morrison-like?

IndyHoosier
10-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Just a point of order:

This isn't necessarily the best teams. It's teams he'd most like to spend season ticket money on.

I know. Just figured putting Bill Simmon's name in the title would alert people that it was probably a bit quirky.

skyfire
10-16-2010, 09:48 PM
It's a reflection of who he wants to see. We haven't been relevant in recent seasons and didn't get a top draft pick.

Putting the pacers in the bottom 5 of teams rosters for the next 5 years is a bit silly given that our team is young and lots of our contracts are expiring before the new CBA.

pwee31
10-17-2010, 01:21 AM
That's really the only material Bill Simmons has on the Pacers. Whenever he writes anything about the Pacers, he mentions the color of our team.

Even if we end up with a complete non white roster, I'm pretty sure his columns will just talk about how our roster use to be.

That or he'll get writers block

BringJackBack
10-17-2010, 01:28 AM
That's really the only material Bill Simmons has on the Pacers. Whenever he writes anything about the Pacers, he mentions the color of our team.

Even if we end up with a complete non white roster, I'm pretty sure his columns will just talk about how our roster use to be.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Followed by him typing in Pacers.com to look at our roster for the first time in six years with a frothy cup of haterade pulp free.

I admit, it was funny seeing his reaction after his Celtics lost game seven when he said, "Oh yeah, well the Lakers have a $98 million dollar payroll, so to even win three games against them is amazing." (paraphrasing) He was all blushy and all.

bulldog
10-17-2010, 01:28 AM

Or he just won't write about the Pacers.

Pacersalltheway10
10-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Dahantay Jones and Solo + future 2nd rounder for Turner?

Somebody had to ask it.....

cdash
10-18-2010, 12:09 AM
Dahantay Jones and Solo + future 2nd rounder for Turner?

Somebody had to ask it.....

For someone who is so "NBA ready" he sure has struggled in summer league and the preseason. Where is that "John Wall vs. Evan Turner" thread now?

d_c
10-18-2010, 02:34 AM
For someone who is so "NBA ready" he sure has struggled in summer league and the preseason. Where is that "John Wall vs. Evan Turner" thread now?

Despite Wall being raw in some areas, there should never have been a question that he was easily the more NBA ready guy. IMO, Wall was the most talented guy, the guy with the most upside, the most NBA ready and the safest pick. No brainer #1 overall pick.

Doddage
10-18-2010, 09:22 AM
I know there are a lot of Bill Simmons fans out there, but to me, he comes across as a douche bag in some of his writing. I'm not sure if that's part of his routine, but if it is, I suppose he does a good job.

I Love P
10-18-2010, 12:09 PM
It would never say "a bunch of black guys" that would be racist.

90'sNBARocked
10-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Maybe John Hollinger thinks he is black? :)

90'sNBARocked
10-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Hoenstly I wouold rather taste my own vomit then stomach any of this guys writing. He really just irratates and rubs me the wrong way

He is a Boston homer too

cdash
10-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Despite Wall being raw in some areas, there should never have been a question that he was easily the more NBA ready guy. IMO, Wall was the most talented guy, the guy with the most upside, the most NBA ready and the safest pick. No brainer #1 overall pick.

Yeah I thought so too, but I remember there being some pretty intense debate in that thread about Evan Turner. A lot of people really loved him. Not to say they still don't, and it's too early to be making definitive statements like that, but I think it's pretty obvious that John Wall's star will shine brighter than Evan Turner's.

d_c
10-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Yeah I thought so too, but I remember there being some pretty intense debate in that thread about Evan Turner. A lot of people really loved him. Not to say they still don't, and it's too early to be making definitive statements like that, but I think it's pretty obvious that John Wall's star will shine brighter than Evan Turner's.

Just goes to show that just because one guy is more polished and productive in college doesn't automatically mean his game translates better to the NBA, or even that he's more NBA ready.

Let's face it. Evan Turner was the better college player who clearly did more for Ohio St. than John Wall did for Kentucky. How much does that mean now that we're heading for the start of the NBA season?

Nothing.

90'sNBARocked
10-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Just goes to show that just because one guy is more polished and productive in college doesn't automatically mean his game translates better to the NBA, or even that he's more NBA ready.

Let's face it. Evan Turner was the better college player who clearly did more for Ohio St. than John Wall did for Kentucky. How much does that mean now that we're heading for the start of the NBA season?

Nothing.

Tyler?

Trader Joe
10-18-2010, 03:30 PM
For a long time, I would have actually described Simmons as someone who has a lot of respect for the Pacers and gives them the benefit of the doubt. I think he just likes to ride the white guy joke because the rest of the league thinks the same thing about us. I think Simmons would embrace this team quickly if some of our young guys end up being exciting, but for right now, for anyone who isn't a Pacers fan viewing this squad with rose colored glasses, there are still a lot of "ifs" to be answered.

Ransom
10-18-2010, 07:59 PM
The two most prominent stereotypes I see of the Pacers from people on the street are as a team of talentless white guys and as a team of thugs who shoot guns in the parking lot. I see both of them and it's weird.

MyFavMartin
10-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Off-season, Preseason and Early Season Team rankings all mean about the same amount as if my dog ranked his bowel movements.

cdash
10-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Off-season, Preseason and Early Season Team rankings all mean about the same amount as if my dog ranked his bowel movements.

I'd be pretty ****in' stoked if my dog ranked his bowel movements.

MyFavMartin
10-18-2010, 09:20 PM
I'd be pretty ****in' stoked if my dog ranked his bowel movements.

:laugh:

They all look the same to me.

MyFavMartin
10-18-2010, 09:23 PM
I think these early rankings are just another way to kiss the butts of fans of big market teams and display a true lack of knowledge or following of teams...

Translation: Wow... Big surprise... Another national pundit doesn't like the Pacers... Big surprise :rolleyes:

Let's ignore the aquisition of Collison and the continued development of Roy and expect PG to not contribute despite that he's shown flashes of talent... oh, and ignore Tyler coming in healthy... and go rank the Knicks about 10 spots higher than they should be.

BillS
10-18-2010, 09:26 PM

My dog's bowel movements are all pretty rank, actually.