PDA

View Full Version : Wade Phillips responds to Dungy's criticism

Basketball Fan
10-16-2010, 07:57 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/101610dnspowadedungy.1920b31f7.html#slcgm_comments _anchor

Perturbed Wade Phillips questions Tony Dungy's credibility

12:36 PM CDT on Friday, October 15, 2010

NBC analyst Tony Dungy has again perturbed the Dallas Cowboys with his comments.

On Sunday, in the wake of quarterback Tony Romo's three-interception showing in a loss to Tennessee, Dungy said a quarterback had to avoid turnovers to be a team leader. Romo responded on Thursday by inviting Dungy to join him at practice.

Coach Wade Phillips invoked the memory of Dungy's prediction last season that the Cowboys had no chance against New Orleans. The Cowboys ended the Saints' run at an unbeaten season.

"He's been a great coach in this league,'' Phillips said. "I know he told everybody that New Orleans was going to kill us last year. I don't know how much credibility he has that way."

Phillips also mentioned Dungy's brief run as an NFL quarterback.

As a rookie defensive back with Pittsburgh in 1977, Dungy was forced to play quarterback after Houston knocked out starter Terry Bradshaw and backup Mike Kurczek. Dungy, who played quarterback collegiately at Minnesota , threw two interceptions and had one fumble. The Oilers were coached by Bum Phillips, whose defensive staff included son Wade Phillips.

SycamoreKen
10-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Wouldn't Dungy having played quarterback make him more of an expert on how the position should be played than how a defensive coordinator would view it?

vapacersfan
10-17-2010, 12:27 PM
I love how when things are going well and people are licking the Cowboys ***-holes clean they dont have a beef with the media, but now all of the sudden they start losing and all they can do is bash the media.

Maybe they should focus more on football and less on the media.

Then again, I hope Wade Philips stays in Dallas for another 100 years. The man is a joke of a NFL head coach.

pizza guy
10-17-2010, 12:50 PM
The Cowboys in general, but especially Romo and Phillips, are so overrated it's ridiculous. Dungy is right -- as the quarterback, you've got to protect the ball to effectively lead the team.

Trader Joe
10-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Tony Dungy doesn't even need to dignify Wade Phillips with a response in anyway. Dungy has more coaching ability and expertise in his left pinky than Phillips has in his whole body.