PDA

View Full Version : Horford extension talks are not moving fast

pacer4ever
10-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Horford said there's been no movement on contract extension negotiations between his representatives and the Hawks. “We are still talking to the team,” he said. “I just hope it gets done.” Agreement on an extension must be reached by Nov. 1 or he will become a restricted free agent next summer. Atlanta Journal-Constitution

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

maybe we get lucky and it doesnt get done before nov. 1st

xBulletproof
10-16-2010, 05:25 PM
It would take more than "not getting done". It would take Horford feeling insulted and wanting out.

Hibbert
10-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Atlanta will get it done. They want him there and he wants to stay there. No need for the false hope.

Dr. Awesome
10-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Horford will not be a Pacer next season.

TheDon
10-16-2010, 05:45 PM
I think after seeing what ludicrous of a contract that joe johnson got, it's not outside of the realm of possibility that he might want something comparable at the very least and unless I missed something they stll haven't worked out jamal crawford's contract either?

dohman
10-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Horford will not be a Pacer next season.

That may be true. But I want the pacers to do everything in their power to let it be known they are willing to pay so the hawks HAVE to overspend and crush their cap space. It would be very smart to financially cripple that team. So many players wanting paid so make them lose one or two.

xBulletproof
10-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Horford can't get a contract in the realm of Joe Johnson. Oh, and I doubt they're going to work out Jamal Crawfords contract anyway.

Eleazar
10-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Horford can't get a contract in the realm of Joe Johnson. Oh, and I doubt they're going to work out Jamal Crawfords contract anyway.

Yeah, I think it is pretty widely accepted they drafted Crawford to replace Crawford.

pacer4ever
10-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I think it is pretty widely accepted they drafted Crawford to replace Crawford.

jordon crawford put up 27 the other night

TheDon
10-16-2010, 07:04 PM
I' not sure that even joe johnson thought he could get a contract like joe johnson got either but that's why they're the hawks lol. They had top ten draft picks for what seems like forever eventually odds are one of those were going to pan out, it's not like their management is brilliant heck they had to trade to get joe johnson in the first place. That all aside though, I really don't want the pacers to throw all that flexibility away on horford look at what the thunder did with their flexibility or minnesota for that matter who got beasely for essentially for nothing. Not only that but we have a lot of young guys on our team that are going to be wanting paid and if we throw all our money at horford we risk losing one of our own players.

croz24
10-16-2010, 07:29 PM
i'd rather just play hibbert and oden alongside each other. horford would cost far more than he's actually worth.

Kstat
10-16-2010, 07:33 PM
....huh?

Hibbert and Oden?

They'd have to televise every game in 2X speed just to make it look like they were moving normally...

pacer4ever
10-16-2010, 07:34 PM
i'd rather just play hibbert and oden alongside each other. horford would cost far more than he's actually worth.

lol oden he wont even play always hurt. lol and how would that work oden and hibbert??? how big of contract would u give Oden anything above 4mill is too much

pacer4ever
10-16-2010, 07:34 PM
....huh?

Hibbert and Oden?

They'd have to televise every game in 2X speed just to make it look like they were moving normally...

LOL ya

Kstat
10-16-2010, 07:35 PM
That may be true. But I want the pacers to do everything in their power to let it be known they are willing to pay so the hawks HAVE to overspend and crush their cap space. It would be very smart to financially cripple that team. So many players wanting paid so make them lose one or two.

Not a great idea. If you make it known that you're willing to pay, then Horford's camp will ask you to put your money where your mouth is. Pull the offer back, and you lose credibility with any FAs that you DO want.

croz24
10-16-2010, 07:58 PM
....huh?

Hibbert and Oden?

seem to forget oden outperforming durant in every aspect of the combine drills coming out of college. "Oden had a better vertical jump (34 inches to 33 ½) and he ran faster in an agility drill (11.67 seconds to 12.33) and a three-quarter-court sprint (3.27 seconds to 3.45)"

oden at his peak was a very similar player to david robinson and was always far more athletic than mcroberts who plays what position for us again? his most concerning injuries have only come recently thanks in no part to the significant weight gain his body has undertook. it's quite simple in my eyes: get greg oden back to the shape he was in coming out of high school and for part of his collegiate career and oden not only would regain his health, but could easily guard any power forward in the league. so what if you trot out two 7 footers? let the other team match up with you. both oden and hibbert are very good passing bigs who can play out of the high post.

Kstat
10-16-2010, 08:03 PM
...except Oden is not at his peak, and likely never will be. He's a slug with bad knees that will only get worse. Watching Yao Ming look like speedy gonzales going around him with ease in the playoffs 2 years ago was sad.

There's a %90 chance you'll never see the same Greg Oden that you saw in college.

On a side note, you have to be able to shoot the ball to play out of the high post.

pacer4ever
10-16-2010, 08:03 PM
seem to forget oden outperforming durant in every aspect of the combine drills coming out of college. "Oden had a better vertical jump (34 inches to 33 ½) and he ran faster in an agility drill (11.67 seconds to 12.33) and a three-quarter-court sprint (3.27 seconds to 3.45)"

oden at his peak was a very similar player to david robinson and was always far more athletic than mcroberts who plays what position for us again? his most concerning injuries have only come recently thanks in no part to the significant weight gain his body has undertook. it's quite simple in my eyes: get greg oden back to the shape he was in coming out of high school and for part of his collegiate career and oden not only would regain his health, but could easily guard any power forward in the league. so what if you trot out two 7 footers? let the other team match up with you. both oden and hibbert are very good passing bigs who can play out of the high post.

that was before he ****ed his knee up oden has never been the same since the knee surgery

PacersPride
10-16-2010, 08:12 PM
hopefully an extension stalls and hawks feel compelled to deal smith and crawford for expiring contracts. better odds of this happening than us acquiring horford. though im not interested in crawford, if he were to come to his senses and sign for around 6 mill or so.. we could audition him in the lineup. smith is the reward in all this.

not sure of the two players contract situations but im thinking dunleavy and ford along with a first, and add solo to get us to 15 players works for me. foster and ford would also work, with possibly two firsts for either deal to make this work. foster gives them another center.

neither is likely but if ATL's cap structure is as bad as i hope it is, the expirings definitely help them sign horford.

*edit: instead of solo it should be dahntay jones. gives ATL a replacement for crawford, and us one less gauranteed contract. we likely will need solo for depth at center, esp if we were to trade away foster (would hate to see foster go; but its a business). if they would take posey somehow i would do that in a ny minute rather than foster.

croz24
10-16-2010, 08:34 PM
actually oden was very adept at hitting free throw line jumpers. shoot, he was an 80% ft shooter in high school. again, upper body weight gain negatively affects one's ability to hit jump shots. also, oden's injuries have never been recurring have they?

pacer4ever
10-16-2010, 08:41 PM
actually oden was very adept at hitting free throw line jumpers. shoot, he was an 80% ft shooter in high school. again, upper body weight gain negatively affects one's ability to hit jump shots. also, oden's injuries have never been recurring have they?

key word highschool now oden is broken down and done. I watched him at LN he was moblie and really good but now he is really broken down. Yes they have he hasnt played more than 27gms in one season. and reports are he has been been injury prone since 8th grade.

croz24
10-16-2010, 08:47 PM
key word highschool now oden is broken down and done. I watched him at LN he was moblie and really good but now he is really broken down. Yes they have he hasnt played more than 27gms in one season. and reports are he has been been injury prone since 8th grade.

and yet he was on his way to his best year yet last year prior to the latest injury. again, the kid is 22-23 years old and has played under one of the worst head coaches in the league. if he loses all that upper body weight i have total faith he will regain that agility injuries and all. it's a chance i'd take 10 times out of time with such a talent.

pacer4ever
10-16-2010, 08:50 PM
and yet he was on his way to his best year yet last year prior to the latest injury. again, the kid is 22-23 years old and has played under one of the worst head coaches in the league. if he loses all that upper body weight i have total faith he will regain that agility injuries and all. it's a chance i'd take 10 times out of time with such a talent.

wow nate mcmillian is a geat coach and oden is done he his knees are done. How much would you give him per year?

croz24
10-16-2010, 09:00 PM
wow nate mcmillian is a geat coach and oden is done he his knees are done. How much would you give him per year?

nate mcmillan is a great coach? the man is a disgrace to coaching.

Kstat
10-16-2010, 09:18 PM
no, McMillan is average. Greg Oden is a disgrace to nothing.

You loved him in high school. We get it. He's done. He's 22 with 42-year old knees, and the ugliest jumper this side of jeff foster. Even the slowest centers are quicker than he is now.

croz24
10-16-2010, 09:19 PM

LOL

d_c
10-16-2010, 09:19 PM
It's really too bad about Oden. He really did look like the next dominant bigman, particularly on the defensive end. He was really the best defensive prospect coming out of college since Bill Russell. I pictured him averaging a Russell like 15 ppg, but totally dominating defensively and on the boards.

But he's just physically broken down just barely 3 years after his last college game. What a shame.

It may not have mattered, but one thing I didn't understand was why bulked up so much in the upper body after his micro fracture surgery. Why put more weight on those knees? He had that athletic, lean, David Robinson like physique back at Ohio St. but now he just looks like a big oaf.

croz24
10-16-2010, 09:44 PM
but seriously, in just 23mpg last year the guy averaged 11ppg 8.5rpg 2.3bpg on 60% shooting and 77% from the ft line. i wouldn't call a 22 year old without recurring injuries done by any means.

pacer4ever
10-16-2010, 09:55 PM
but seriously, in just 23mpg last year the guy averaged 11ppg 8.5rpg 2.3bpg on 60% shooting and 77% from the ft line. i wouldn't call a 22 year old without recurring injuries done by any means.

he is done look up the injures he has had there is no way he will ever be what he should of been. And no way on god's green earth that he can play the 4. He cant even play 30mins a game he was a role player off the bench.

by the way how much would u give him in Free agency portland could match any offer

pacer4ever
10-16-2010, 09:57 PM

also how many times did u watch him last year? i only saw him 2 times but he was like a slug.

Will Galen
10-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Not a great idea. If you make it known that you're willing to pay, then Horford's camp will ask you to put your money where your mouth is. Pull the offer back, and you lose credibility with any FAs that you DO want.

Not a great idea is right. That would be tampering!

pacer4ever
10-17-2010, 02:48 AM
Not a great idea is right. That would be tampering!

no he is talking about during FA's next summer it would not be tammering

daschysta
10-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Perhaps there is a chance that he's on the market next summer?

If we're going to overpay anyone, I wouldn't mind it being horford.

He's young, plays defense, and has potential while fitting a huge position of need.

If the hawks let him become RFA in the first place it likely means that they aren't willing to match a max offer.

Having granger at a bargain makes it less painful to verpay a guy like horford!

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69620/20101018/odds_at_50_50_for_horford_extension/

pacer4ever
10-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Odds At '50-50' For Horford Extension

30 PM EST
The Hawks and Al Horford have been discussing a contract extension for several weeks.

According to NBA.com's David Aldridge, the odds of an agreement being reached are at "about 50-50."

Jamal Crawford is also seeking a contract extension from Atlanta.

If Horford is unable to reach a deal on an extension, he will become a restricted free agent in July of 2011.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69620/20101018/odds_at_50_50_for_horford_extension/#ixzz12lSHVKRP

Doddage
10-18-2010, 09:53 PM
I'd rather make a play for Josh Smith than offer Horford a ridiculous max contract. He's simply not worth that.

daschysta
10-18-2010, 10:24 PM
If an injury risked noah, after one half decent season is worth 5/60 then horford on the market is worth at least 5/70. We can afford one max contract and still resign our young players. Like it or not talented bigs cost money in the NBA, and horford at near max is a heck of a lot better than the deals some substantially worse players are getting. We ARE going to overpay if our goal is to attract anyone here in free agency, its just the reality of sports unless you have a really good team location matters, it sucks but its true. We can either overpay horford slightly, or we can overpay someone much less valuable.

Personally our best bets are through trades, but if we have to go after someone in free agency we could do much worse.

Furthermore Horford wants minutes at PF which has been a problem in ATL over the last year or so with Josh Smith, and we have lots of those to offer.

xBulletproof
10-18-2010, 10:41 PM

You loved him in high school. We get it. He's done. He's 22 with 42-year old knees, and the ugliest jumper this side of jeff foster. Even the slowest centers are quicker than he is now.

Try to tell that to flox. He'd trade Hibbert for Oden in a heartbeat. Ugh.

PacersPride
10-19-2010, 01:22 AM
better option?

ford, d jones, 2 firsts, for josh smith. works cap wise. if atl wants to keep horford and play him at pf this trade makes sense. would also do dunleavy d jones and two firsts. maybe even two firsts and two second rounders. like josh smiths contract for the next three years better than overpaying horford. smiths contract is relative to grangers. at three firsts they are taking ford and d jones. gives atl what he is worth and clears cap room for them to resign horford.

i only mention this if horfords extension continues to be delayed.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine