PDA

View Full Version : How did Stu Jackson get his job anyway?

DisplacedKnick
08-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Dunno about college but he got fired as Knick coach a while back - either pre-Pitino or Pre-Riley.

Stryder
08-18-2004, 03:33 PM
Stu was the coach of the Knicks, but then he was brought in at Wisconsin during the Michael Finley days.

Doug in CO
08-18-2004, 03:34 PM
He was run out of Ohio State - think Jim Jackson and Lawrence Funderburke

Stryder
08-18-2004, 03:58 PM
So, Stu's been at:

New York Knicks
Wisconsin Badgers
Vancouver Grizzlies

Where else has this guy been?

EDITED FOR CORRECTNESS

Kegboy
08-18-2004, 04:24 PM
Boy, you guys sure get your black Big Ten coaches confused. Clem Haskins was the Minnesota coach ousted for doing very bad things. Randy Ayers was the Ohio State coach.

Stu was an assistant under Pitino in NY, and replaced him when Rick went to UK. After he was canned, he went to Wisconsin. He then went on to be the first GM/President of the Grizzlies, before replacing Rod Thorn as VP of operations for the NBA.

Stryder
08-19-2004, 08:06 AM
Boy, you guys sure get your black Big Ten coaches confused. Clem Haskins was the Minnesota coach ousted for doing very bad things. Randy Ayers was the Ohio State coach.

Stu was an assistant under Pitino in NY, and replaced him when Rick went to UK. After he was canned, he went to Wisconsin. He then went on to be the first GM/President of the Grizzlies, before replacing Rod Thorn as VP of operations for the NBA.

Didn't he make himself coach of the Grizzlies for a little bit?

Kegboy
08-19-2004, 11:25 AM

Not that I remember. The Grizzlies history section is laughable. They practically almost deny anything that happened in Vancouver.

He might have been an interm coach for a time, but I sure don't remember him coaching them over a long term.

Stryder
08-19-2004, 02:21 PM

Not that I remember. The Grizzlies history section is laughable. They practically almost deny anything that happened in Vancouver.

He might have been an interm coach for a time, but I sure don't remember him coaching them over a long term.

Yeah, he was an interim.

I just found that out for sure. The Grizz fired Brian Winters and Stu replaced him for 39 games, going 6 - 33.

Terrible!

Pig Nash
08-19-2004, 05:00 PM

Yeah, he was an interim.

I just found that out for sure. The Grizz fired Brian Winters and Stu replaced him for 39 games, going 6 - 33.

Terrible!

To be fair, it was the grizzlies

ROCislandWarrior
08-20-2004, 02:21 AM
So let's get this straight, he failed everywhere he went (or wasn't very good) and then he magically became a NBA big shot?

DisplacedKnick
08-20-2004, 12:12 PM
So let's get this straight, he failed everywhere he went (or wasn't very good) and then he magically became a NBA big shot?

Well, he couldn't coach worth squat but he excels at suspending players. :o:p;)

Kegboy
08-20-2004, 01:15 PM
He didn't fail at Wisconsin. It was his choice to leave for Vancouver.

ChicagoJ
08-21-2004, 01:28 AM
He had some bad situations to work with, too.

Everyone jumps all over me when I call Clark Kellogg a bum and a big-time loser... well the same logic may apply here. I think Stu may just know what he's doing, in spite of the perceived history of failures. After all, he keeps getting hired, doesn't he?

Roaming Gnome
08-21-2004, 03:19 AM
I think this whole thread was made "moot" when it was mentioned that Stu Jackson and Clem Haskins was not the same person!