PDA

View Full Version : Larry Brown: Allen Iverson Deserves Better Than Finishing Career in Turkey

90'sNBARocked
10-15-2010, 10:29 AM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/10/14/larry-brown-allen-iverson-deserves-better-than-finishing-career/
By Tim Povtak

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The news earlier this week that former NBA superstar Allen Iverson could be ending his career playing in Turkey made Larry Brown wince Thursday. It clearly bothered him.

Larry Brown and Allen Iverson, 2002
Brown, now coaching the Charlotte Bobcats, was the one most responsible for molding Iverson into the player he became -- one of the league's all-time greats.

They were together -- often in a love/hate relationship -- for six seasons in Philadelphia, reaching the NBA Finals in 2001. During their run together, Iverson became the NBA's Most Valuable Player, led the league in scoring three times, and twice was named All-NBA first team.

"Nobody who has done as much as Allen has done for this league should have to be in Turkey playing, to end his career,'' Brown said before the Bobcats-Magic game Thursday. "We have one of the most special players ever in our sport, who still has something left. I feel terrible about this. That is not how he should be ending his career.''

Iverson, 35, is considering a $2 million, one-year offer from Besiktas Cola Turka, according to his business partner Gary Moore. Iverson wanted to play this season in the NBA, but he found no one was interested, including the Bobcats.

He struggled last season with a variety of issues, starting the year and playing three games with Memphis, clashing with the coaching staff over his role before asking for his release. He later played 25 games with Philadelphia, averaged 13.9 points, but he left because of family issues.

Throughout his career, Iverson (6-0, 165 pounds) has been regarded as one of the toughest, pound-for-pound players in league history, both dynamic on the court but divisive in the locker room.

Brown said the Bobcats seriously considered signing Iverson last season, but he and majority partner Michael Jordan opted against it because of how it might affect the younger guards they were trying to develop.

"I remember an NBA coaches' meeting this summer, someone from the NBA staff, talking to me about 'hey this is not the way Allen should be ending his career,' " Brown said. "The commissioner (David Stern) doesn't want to see it happen like this. I feel terrible about it. He did so much for me, and my career.''
Although most everyone agrees that Iverson still could contribute to an NBA team, they also wonder how he would accept a reduced role after being a starter and star for so many years. It was an issue he never was comfortable with last season.

"I wish I was in a position to help him, where it wouldn't affect the other guys I'm coaching,'' Brown said. "He needs to be on a great team that has a chance to win (a championship) and could utilize what he does. He doesn't need to be in Turkey.''

Kudos to Larry Brown, what a classy guy for sticking up for AI. No matter what you think of Allen personally, I love him. He gave his heart and soul on the court and took more beating s thatn any little guy I have ever seen. I really wish someone like San Antonio would pick him up

sad times, I iss allen, makes me feel old that he is now old

SMosley21
10-15-2010, 10:33 AM
I agree with Larry Brown 100%.

pacer4ever
10-15-2010, 10:35 AM

Me 2 but he would have a spot in the NBA if he wanted a bench role.

nerveghost
10-15-2010, 10:40 AM
he can be on any team in the league...as long as it is not the Pacers...

90'sNBARocked
10-15-2010, 11:00 AM
I love watching the guy play so much heart . Like I said I think he could help San Antonio, OKC, Utah, Orlando

Stryder
10-15-2010, 11:41 AM
If some team wanted Iverson, then he would already be on that team.

Obviously, no one wants him.

Brad8888
10-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Maybe the Heat will sign him. What could it possibly hurt??? :devil: :laugh: ;)

pacer4ever
10-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Maybe the Heat will sign him. What could it possibly hurt??? :devil: :laugh: ;)

everything lol

Speed
10-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Larry Brown should finish his career here, I think.

CableKC
10-15-2010, 12:13 PM
The Bobcats need a Guard that has experience running the point.....maybe Larry Brown should help Iverson out and simply sign him to the Bobcats.

BillS
10-15-2010, 12:18 PM
AI could play for any team in the league if he was willing to fit them instead of making them fit him.

It isn't like he has been unfairly blacklisted.

90'sNBARocked
10-15-2010, 12:19 PM
The Bobcats need a Guard that has experience running the point.....maybe Larry Brown should help Iverson out and simply sign him to the Bobcats.

LB sais he discussed it with MJ but decided it would take playing time form the young guards

Translation: "I dont want him coming here and b%$ing about playing time ao anything else and creating a negative feeling around the team"

itzryan07
10-15-2010, 12:24 PM
he shouldnt have to take a bench role either. i bet he is still top 10 pg in league. and i think the cancer thing is overrated.

Kemo
10-15-2010, 04:14 PM
makes me feel old that he is now old

Me too .. I am the same age (35) as Iverson..

It's crazy , how the vigorous training and harsh 82 game schedule with the constant on-the-go traveling can prematurely age an athlete so quickly..

I hear people make the comment all the time , how this or that nba player is old or at the twilight of their career ... yet the same player(s) being talked about may only be 32 to 34 yrs old .. It really makes me feel old.. even though I know I'm not really....

I don't think age matters as much as how the individual has taken care of themselves during their career..

Look at Kidd and Nash .. both are my age ... Nash (35) ... Kidd (36) ..

They BOTH are STILL considered 2 of the best p.g.'s in the whole league ..

Nash is, and has been EASILY.. a top 5 p.g. .. IMO a top 3 ..

Then you have Kidd , whom is DEFINITELY in the top 8 RIGHT NOW at 36yrs old..

I still wish Iverson could find an NBA team to play a few good years and retire with..
As far as on the court , AI can still ball like it's no one's business..

xBulletproof
10-15-2010, 04:17 PM
You guys talking about the same douche that isn't signing with Turkey because he needs a guaranteed "cap" on the fines he can incur? If that's not a sign you shouldn't be signing someone, I don't know what is.

He'd have a spot on a team if he wasn't a selfish, stubborn, washed up chucker who think's he's on par with Michael Jordan.

Give the guy a better attitude and he'd be on any one of several teams in the NBA right now. This is his own doing.

90'sNBARocked
10-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Look at Kidd and Nash .. both are my age ... Nash (35) ... Kidd (36) ..

They BOTH are STILL considered 2 of the best p.g.'s in the whole league ..

Nash is, and has been EASILY.. a top 5 p.g. .. IMO a top 3 ..

Then you have Kidd , whom is DEFINITELY in the top 8 RIGHT NOW at 36yrs old..

Nash yes

But they say J Kidd now functions best as a SF becasue he cant guard any PG anymore

Nash looks like he still has it though

90'sNBARocked
10-15-2010, 04:21 PM
You guys talking about the same douche that isn't signing with Turkey because he needs a guaranteed "cap" on the fines he can incur? If that's not a sign you shouldn't be signing someone, I don't know what is.

He'd have a spot on a team if he wasn't a selfish, stubborn, washed up chucker who think's he's on par with Michael Jordan.

Give the guy a better attitude and he'd be on any one of several teams in the NBA right now. This is his own doing.

although Im not necessarly disagreeing with you, but pride is a tough thing to let go of

McKeyFan
10-15-2010, 10:15 PM
At least he won't have to use deodorant anymore.

sportfireman
10-15-2010, 10:22 PM
I totally agree with Larry Brown but pride has been his downfall.

Naptown_Seth
10-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Yep. Too bad Allen Iverson had to go and ruin everything for Allen Iverson. Stupid AI, no appreciation for a legend.

The guy is an a-hole and a prima-donna. He's made this bed with how he handled the last couple of stops he was at.

I like how he should be handed a title run just because...maybe not get infamous for being selfish and difficult, maybe do more to lead Denver on a title run when it was a legit contender and maybe just retire when no NBA team sees value to your game.

I'm not trying to come off as hateful, but AI had 90% to do with where he is at now. The owners don't get together and decide to keep out an NBA icon that can help their team. Freaking Shawne Williams and Ron Artest and Latrell Spreewell all got 2nd and 3rd chances. NBA teams will take anyone that can help them win, their quality of person standards aren't known to be high.

What they don't like to do is overspend on troublesome vets who might not have the goods anymore. See the aforementioned Spreewell and how his career ended.

Kegboy
10-15-2010, 10:27 PM
He lasted three games with Memphis. They replaced him with Jamaal Tinsley for god's sake. There's a reason why nobody's signing him, and it has nothing to do with lack of talent.

BlueNGold
10-15-2010, 10:32 PM
What did you expect? He's a turkey.

Edit: I expected at least one thanks for this one...:<(

Edit2: Thanks Tom, I needed that...;<)

pacer4ever
10-16-2010, 01:27 AM
At least he won't have to use deodorant anymore.

Thats not funny I go to euro every summer. My family over there and other people where deodorant. Just different places smell different.( i know u are refering to DG33's tweet)

BlueNGold
10-16-2010, 08:56 AM
I'm not trying to come off as hateful, but AI had 90% to do with where he is at now.

You are right. The guy is a prima donna deluxe. I don't think we've heard the end of the AI story...and I wonder if this is not the saddest chapter. I'm thinking an Antoine Walker ending is coming.

At one point, I thought the guy started "getting it". I don't think that really happened. I think he just became less stupid after about 10 years in the league. I just hope he has better handlers than Fatoine.

McKeyFan
10-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Thats not funny I go to euro every summer my family over there and other people where deodorant just different places smell different.( i know u are refering to DG33's tweet)
Not sure what the heck you just said.

But it was funny.

QuickRelease
10-16-2010, 02:57 PM
The funny thing is, Larry Brown decided not to sign him, like everyone else. Larry doesn't have to give an article about how big a shame it is that AI is in Turkey. Offer him a contract Larry! You guys aren't completely set at PG with Augustin and Livingston. Bring AI in! But you won't because you know what he does in a team locker room. And I don't want to hear about how he should be on a veteran team. You have Stephen Jackson on the team, and you made that work! So why not AI? Because he won't take a support role. He still wants to be THE GUY, and you're as convinced as anyone that he can't be that anymore. So, maybe you should have a talk with Iverson about how big a shame it is to be over in Turkey, when he could be in the NBA today, if he'd change his attitude.

Brad8888
10-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by pacer4ever
Thats not funny I go to euro every summer my family over there and other people where deodorant just different places smell different.( i know u are refering to DG33's tweet)

But it was funny.

Yes, it was definitely funny.

I think he might be saying that he converts his currency to the Euro every summer, possibly as a gutsy high level foreign currency play that bets on the weakening of the US dollar, so that he can somehow continue to afford to pay proper "homage" to El Pacero, who really likes him for one reason or another...;)

Also, I think he may be saying that his family (and other people, apparently) have a difficult time finding where their deodorant is, but I could be wrong about that. He also indicates that different locations have different smells, though it is also possible that they keep their deodorant in different places which is why there is confusion as to where it is located.

But, there is always the possibility that there are other hidden meanings as well...

Shade
10-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Iverson made his own bed, and it's time for him to lie in it.

pwee31
10-17-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm not sure Larry Brown finish this YEAR in Charlotte with the current roster they have

pacer4ever
10-17-2010, 07:40 PM

But it was funny.

what is so hard to understand i go to europe every summer. People where deodorant IDK why you are so ignorant.

pacer4ever
10-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Yes, it was definitely funny.

I think he might be saying that he converts his currency to the Euro every summer, possibly as a gutsy high level foreign currency play that bets on the weakening of the US dollar, so that he can somehow continue to afford to pay proper "homage" to El Pacero, who really likes him for one reason or another...;)

Also, I think he may be saying that his family (and other people, apparently) have a difficult time finding where their deodorant is, but I could be wrong about that. He also indicates that different locations have different smells, though it is also possible that they keep their deodorant in different places which is why there is confusion as to where it is located.

But, there is always the possibility that there are other hidden meanings as well...

wow u are classless and very ignorant

judicata
10-17-2010, 07:49 PM
wow u are classless and very ignorant

You could save yourself and all of us a little grief by paying a little more attention to how you construct your posts.

pacer4ever
10-17-2010, 07:50 PM
You could save yourself and all of us a little grief by paying a little more attention to how you construct your posts.

the post wasn't to hard to understand

xBulletproof
10-17-2010, 07:57 PM
the post wasn't to hard to understand

I've defended people giving you crap before, but that post was really hard to understand. I seriously could only understand that you went to Europe with your family. Other than that, I had no idea what you were saying, other than it had to do with deodorant.

pacer4ever
10-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Thats not funny I go to euro every summer. My family over there and other people where deodorant. Just different places smell different.( i know u are refering to DG33's tweet)

is that better

McKeyFan
10-17-2010, 08:52 PM
what is so hard to understand i go to europe every summer. People where deodorant IDK why you are so ignorant.

Where is the deodorant?

pacer4ever
10-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Where is the deodorant?

wtf , at my grandma's house in Hungary.

spreedom
10-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Iverson was an embarrassment as a player for me to watch for at least the last 6-8 years of his career (basically everything after and including the "practice" nonsense that offended me as a hardworking high school player at the time) and I'm absolutely delighted that no NBA team will even take a look at him. His high-volume, low-efficiency chucking is a style of play that I absolutely despise and I'm glad that I don't have to watch him destroy teams (most often his own) anymore.

Good riddance. Enjoy the scoring titles and piles of cash.

And no rings.

Anthem
10-17-2010, 09:32 PM
pacer4ever, "where" means a location. "wear" means to put something on.

pacer4ever
10-17-2010, 09:52 PM
pacer4ever, "where" means a location. "wear" means to put something on.

i k but some times if im typeing i get them mixed up. It doesnt make it unreadable if you just look at the context i used.

Anthem
10-17-2010, 10:06 PM
i k but some times if im typeing i get them mixed up. It doesnt make it unreadable if you just look at the context i used.
I'm just telling you what people are responding to in your post.

pacer4ever
10-17-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm just telling you what people are responding to in your post.

but it was still understandable they dont have to be dicks about it.

Peck
10-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Here is a post I made in 2004 that should pretty much tell you my thoughts on the entire situation.

I understand that some of you are fans of his and out of respect for you I have held off posting on this.

But...

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=8149&highlight=allen+iverson

cordobes
10-18-2010, 05:03 PM
NBA teams will take anyone that can help them win, their quality of person standards aren't known to be high.

What they don't like to do is overspend on troublesome vets who might not have the goods anymore. See the aforementioned Spreewell and how his career ended.

Yeps. Too much drama for what he'd bring to the table production-wise, even if he'd be playing for the minimum salary.

If there was a team and a roster that could use Iverson it'd be precisely the Bobcats and Brown.

90'sNBARocked
10-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Yeps. Too much drama for what he'd bring to the table production-wise, even if he'd be playing for the minimum salary.

If there was a team and a roster that could use Iverson it'd be precisely the Bobcats and Brown.

It still makes it sad

The guy will be remebered more for his "practice" line , unfortuanltely , than for him giving 110% on the court and being one of the toughest SOB under 6 feet to ever play the game