PDA

View Full Version : Motion Offense Creating More Assists For Chicago

pacer4ever
10-14-2010, 03:31 PM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69557/20101014/motion_offense_creating_more_assists_for_chicago/

I find this strange because we run motion and our PG's like TJ have not liked it in the past. But Drose likes moving without the ball i guess thats why it will work for them. Any one eles finds this strange?

Oct 14, 2010 11:42 AM EST
The Bulls primarily ran screen and rolls and ISOs for Derrick Rose during the 09-10 season, but they are now running a motion offense under Tom Thibodeau.

In wins over Toronto and Washington, the Bulls averaged 27 assists. As a comparison, the highest assist total in the NBA during the preseason is 30 by Philadelphia.

“Everybody's loving the offense," Rose said. “It's great. If I don't have the ball, I'm always moving. Everybody is moving, so that it's hard to guard. We're looking pretty good right now."

Via Daily Herald

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69557/20101014/motion_offense_creating_more_assists_for_chicago/#ixzz12MaYhwC2

Unclebuck
10-14-2010, 03:42 PM
If they are running more motion D. Rose assists totals will go down and he'll score less. Lets see what happens late in close games, I would expect they go back to a lot of pick and rolls with D. Rose handling the ball. (actually that is what I expect the pacers to do also)

As to why Ford doesn't like it and D.Rose does. Well everyone is different

Frostwolf
10-14-2010, 03:56 PM
it only says assists are up for chicago, not for rose. as unclebuck says, you'd expect rose's individual assists to go down.

daschysta
10-14-2010, 04:00 PM
If they are running more motion D. Rose assists totals will go down and he'll score less. Lets see what happens late in close games, I would expect they go back to a lot of pick and rolls with D. Rose handling the ball. (actually that is what I expect the pacers to do also)

The biggest knock on Derrick is his lack of killer instinct, reading chicago boards it is the biggest complaint, that derrick is WAY to passive for a player of his calibre. Keeping that in mind it makes sense that he would enjoy a system that takes responsibility away from him as a PG. He is something like a godly talented PG version of Brush, at least from the temperment standpoint.

90'sNBARocked
10-14-2010, 04:11 PM
The biggest knock on Derrick is his lack of killer instinct, reading chicago boards it is the biggest complaint, that derrick is WAY to passive for a player of his calibre. Keeping that in mind it makes sense that he would enjoy a system that takes responsibility away from him as a PG. He is something like a godly talented PG version of Brush, at least from the temperment standpoint.

I can second that as I live in Chicago and they talk about it all the time

He does I believ posses it though but earlier in his career he really wanted to get his team involved especially with captain Kirk playing behind him

Now he is stepping up but the fans want him to be a better 3pt shooter which is what he sai he focused on all summer

Trader Joe
10-14-2010, 04:15 PM
I've never bought that complaint about D-Rose. He took over the Boston series as a ROOKIE two years ago and pushed them to the brink. I think he has plenty of killer instinct. I think complaining is just looking for fly **** in pepper when evaluating an otherwise fantastic player.

pacer4ever
10-14-2010, 04:15 PM

ya i know his assits will go down. So will DC's i think DC will only ave 5 assits.

90'sNBARocked
10-14-2010, 04:17 PM
I've never bought that complaint about D-Rose. He took over the Boston series as a ROOKIE two years ago and pushed them to the brink. Averaging close to 30 ppg. I think he has plenty of killer instinct. I think complaining is just looking for fly **** in pepper when evaluating an otherwise fantastic player.

That is a good point he did pretty much dominate against the Celtics in an Epic 7 game series

Chicago media is just like NY, or Philly very very difficult to please

The Bears are currently 4-1 and if you listen to the locals you would think they were 1-4 They want Lovie Smith fired and he got them to a superbowl 3 years ago, their first in over 20 years

pacer4ever
10-14-2010, 04:19 PM
That is a good point he did pretty much dominate against the Celtics in an Epic 7 game series

Chicago media is just like NY, or Philly very very difficult to please

The Bears are currently 4-1 and if you listen to the locals you would think they were 1-4 They want Lovie Smith fired and he got them to a superbowl 3 years ago, their first in over 20 years

i would love if lovie got fired too lol. But i want to wait till the offseason and maybe get a big name.

90'sNBARocked
10-14-2010, 04:29 PM
i would love if lovie got fired too lol. But i want to wait till the offseason and maybe get a big name.

really ,

so whats your beef with Lovie?

Trader Joe
10-14-2010, 04:29 PM
really ,

He's not Ditka...

cordobes
10-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Lets see what happens late in close games, I would expect they go back to a lot of pick and rolls with D. Rose handling the ball.

Me too. And late in the clock too.

Derrick Rose is no big deal as a point-guard. Bad distributor and inefficient scorer. Too dependent on the pick'n'roll and dribble penetration to make plays. The less reliant they are on him to construct points, the better.

pacer4ever
10-14-2010, 04:35 PM
really ,

he almost cost us a win week one. Ok detriot had not got a first down in 2qts and we dont kick a field goal to take the lead WTF i dont care if ur 97% sure they play will work you have to take the points there. I have serveal other gripes but might take all day to tell lol.

Brad8888
10-14-2010, 04:54 PM
For me, it is not strange at all.

A passing based motion offense does generate more assists than an offense that is more of a dribble penetration based offense because the players are passing more, and are also more likely to convert on catch and shoot situations due to being in better quality shooting positions during the flow of the offense if players are good at recognizing that other players are open.

My guess is that Chicago also shoots fewer 3's overall now, thereby also increasing the likelihood that any given pass will have been delivered to a player shooting a higher percentage shot and increasing the likelihood of an assist occurring.

pacer4ever
10-14-2010, 07:35 PM
For me, it is not strange at all.

A passing based motion offense does generate more assists than an offense that is more of a dribble penetration based offense because the players are passing more, and are also more likely to convert on catch and shoot situations due to being in better quality shooting positions during the flow of the offense if players are good at recognizing that other players are open.

My guess is that Chicago also shoots fewer 3's overall now, thereby also increasing the likelihood that any given pass will have been delivered to a player shooting a higher percentage shot and increasing the likelihood of an assist occurring.

no it is strange Drose likes it as much as he says he does