PDA

View Full Version : Odd man out?

pwee31
10-11-2010, 08:49 PM
I know the 24th is a couple weeks from now, but based off of the 3 preseason games who do you guy feel will be cut or traded? We all know Lance Allred will be one of the players, but who will be the other player to get the roster set at 15?

I know a lot could depend on Lance Stephenson's court date on Oct. 19th, but if you assume he remains with the team who else is on the chopping block?

Will it be one of the many wing players? 1 of the 4 PGs? A big in Solo or Rolle?

Is a trade still a possibility for Bird after seeing 3 preseason games?

I feel most of the players are safe, but do you guys think a cut take place or a 2 for 1 trade?

Will Galen
10-11-2010, 08:57 PM
I've looked at this several times and come to no conclusion.

D. Jones would probably be the want they would want to cut, but they would own him over $8m for the rest of his contract.

They would probably like to keep solo because we would only have 4 bigs if they cut him. Hibbert, Foster, Han's, and Josh. That's not enough with all the injuries a team has during the year. Actually we should probably have another big man on the team, a team needs about 6.

So, I have no idea who they will cut, but yes they could still make a deal, but I don't expect one.

BRushWithDeath
10-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Rolle isn't guaranteed beyond $50k. Barring a trade, he's the cut.

pwee31
10-11-2010, 10:05 PM
See I personally think Rolle is someone the Pacers would like to keep and watch develop.

As mentioned, players like Dahntay and Posey are due quite a bit. Ford won't accept buyout so Solo or one of the rookies make the most sense.

You would think a trade would have taken place before training camp to get everyone on the same page, but there is the possibility that the Pacers wanted to see what they have with there current roster before making anymore moves, just to see where the teams weaknesses are.

So far there looks to be a lot of them, so a trade could still be possible, but it also takes 2 to tango

Hicks
10-11-2010, 10:08 PM
I could see either a cut or a trade, honestly. I voted for a trade, though. No real reason. I can imagine us doing a Shawne Williams-style trade for a 2nd rounder (or so, depending on who is leaving) and a player-to-be-cut-later from another team.

Will Galen
10-11-2010, 10:08 PM

I forgot about Rolle. He will be kept before Solo will. Remember the Pacers signed Rolle as the 16th man, they wouldn't have did that if there was any chance they thought he would be the cut.

BRushWithDeath
10-11-2010, 10:13 PM
I forgot about Rolle. He will be kept before Solo will. Remember the Pacers signed Rolle as the 16th man, they wouldn't have did that if there was any chance they thought he would be the cut.

They guaranteed him $50,000. Which is more than necessary for training camp and preseason, but not much. They didn't guarantee him for the year. If a cut must be made, he's the cheapest by a long shot.

Strummer
10-11-2010, 10:26 PM
You would think a trade would have taken place before training camp to get everyone on the same page, but there is the possibility that the Pacers wanted to see what they have with there current roster before making anymore moves, just to see where the teams weaknesses are.

I think it's more likely that other teams need to get a look at our expiring vets to see how healthy they are. Mainly Foster and Dunleavy...

And I imagine we're showcasing Posey too...

I'm guessing we'll cut Solo if we have to make a cut...

pacer4ever
10-11-2010, 10:32 PM
I could see either a cut or a trade, honestly. I voted for a trade, though. No real reason. I can imagine us doing a Shawne Williams-style trade for a 2nd rounder (or so, depending on who is leaving) and a player-to-be-cut-later from another team.

Ya or maybe a 2 for 1 with an guy like Jason Kapono who has little trade value. His deal will be off the books at the end of the year 6m.

Mackey_Rose
10-11-2010, 10:34 PM
A 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 trade would certainly be the best situation, but barring that fairly remote possibility I gotta think that Rolle is extremely expendable if what BRushWithDeath says is accurate.

Trophy
10-11-2010, 10:42 PM
I think we're gonna look to move Solomon Jones to a team for a future 2nd round pick.

The Clippers are a team that usually makes moves like this and they might need some depth at center.

Either way, I don't think Solo will be here come the 24th.

I think Bird feels that having one poor character guy on the team won't be too much of a problem especially since Lance's talent is hard to pass up on.

Psyren
10-11-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm kind of hoping it's Posey to be honest.

He just looks far too slow to keep up with such a young team.

Jeff may be old, but he's at least keeping up. Posey just slows us down and stands around the perimeter. And he can't defend the 4.

I'm not sure Posey will be the one who's gone due to his contract, but he doesn't do us any good. I guess that's the price you pay for Collison, though.

beast23
10-11-2010, 10:48 PM
They guaranteed him $50,000. Which is more than necessary for training camp and preseason, but not much. They didn't guarantee him for the year. If a cut must be made, he's the cheapest by a long shot.Rolle would definitely be the cheapest to cut, but I think you also have to remember that the Pacers first attempted to sign him to a 4-year contract, then a 3-year contract, and then finally a 2-year contract because Rolle refused to sign for the longer term.

That led me to believe that Rolle is a player that the Pacers want to have around to see what he could be, once he had a full opportunity to develop.

That also causes me to conclude that he would be one of the last of the disposable players that they would part with. Therefore, I voted "trade".

Trophy
10-11-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm kind of hoping it's Posey to be honest.

He just looks far too slow to keep up with such a young team.

Jeff may be old, but he's at least keeping up. Posey just slows us down and stands around the perimeter. And he can't defend the 4.

I'm not sure Posey will be the one who's gone due to his contract, but he doesn't do us any good. I guess that's the price you pay for Collison, though.

I think he's good to have on the bench because of his experience and he can help out a younger wing player like Paul.

BRushWithDeath
10-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Rolle would definitely be the cheapest to cut, but I think you also have to remember that the Pacers first attempted to sign him to a 4-year contract, then a 3-year contract, and then finally a 2-year contract because Rolle refused to sign for the longer term.

That led me to believe that Rolle is a player that the Pacers want to have around to see what he could be, once he had a full opportunity to develop.

That also causes me to conclude that he would be one of the last of the disposable players that they would part with. Therefore, I voted "trade".

Guaranteeing a player $50,000 makes you believe that the organization views him as one of the least disposable players? Hell, they guaranteed fellow second round pick Lance Stephenson $1,560,000.

This is a business. All things being equal, I'm sure they would much rather keep Rolle than one of the old guys. But things aren't equal.

beast23
10-12-2010, 01:55 AM
Guaranteeing a player $50,000 makes you believe that the organization views him as one of the least disposable players? Hell, they guaranteed fellow second round pick Lance Stephenson $1,560,000.

This is a business. All things being equal, I'm sure they would much rather keep Rolle than one of the old guys. But things aren't equal.

Do you have a link showing that Rolle is only guaranteed 50K? I cannot find it anywhere.

I agree with you about the business perspective. However, there are multiple ways of looking at business and its expenses. Certainly getting rid of Rolle in reducing the roster to 15 would only cost them 50K, if your info is correct. But keep in mind that one of their goals must be retaining (and even acquiring) as many valuable assets as possible by the end of the season. Keeping Rolle now might be giving them an additional bargaining chip to help acquire a PF, SG or backup center later.

Considering Rolle's performance in the summer league, and what we have read regarding him throughout the summer, it is apparent that the Pacers view Rolle as a valuable asset.... potentially a very valuable asset.

From my perspective, and I think the Pacers as well, Rolle is someone that is well worth the gamble. They wouldn't have bothered signing him as the 16th player under contract otherwise. So, I believe that he is someone that they would retain over SJones or DJones, for example. I'm not a big fan of the word "potential", but Rolle just has way too much of it to part with over other marginal players.

Eleazar
10-12-2010, 03:58 AM
It is a business, but that doesn't mean the best business move is to just cut whoever will cost you less. In the short term maybe, but there is a long term as well. If you consider the guys who have only 1 year left on their contracts a guy like Rolle may make little enough that it is worth it to cut one of the bigger contracts in order to keep a cheap piece who could become a big piece in 2 or 3 seasons. Business is a balance of short term and long term which is why the obvious short term answer may not be the best option.

Kstat
10-12-2010, 07:26 AM
itll probably be a battle between rolle and jones. Neither are particularly great, but solomon jones's experience and comfort in Obie's offense makes him the favorite to be the 15th man.

Speed
10-12-2010, 07:56 AM
I think you have to go into the season with 6 bigs, especially with Foster and Hansbrough missing so much time last year. It's gotta be a wing, right? Or possibly revisit the TJ buyout?

Trophy
10-12-2010, 07:57 AM
I think Magnum can do a little bit more than Solo can offensively.

Solo tries to shoot a little outside of the post, but doesn't look comfortable and is undersized to play in the middle.

SMosley21
10-12-2010, 08:45 AM
We're going to send a player to the D-League for the first time. Solomon Jones won't be cut, and Magnum Rolle will be sent to the D-League to start the season. The team will continue to attempt to make a 2 for 1 trade, at which point they will call up Rolle from the D-League to fill out the roster.

BRushWithDeath
10-12-2010, 08:51 AM
We're going to send a player to the D-League for the first time. Solomon Jones won't be cut, and Magnum Rolle will be sent to the D-League to start the season. The team will continue to attempt to make a 2 for 1 trade, at which point they will call up Rolle from the D-League to fill out the roster.

He still would count against the roster if he were sent to Ft. Wayne.

SMosley21
10-12-2010, 09:16 AM
He still would count against the roster if he were sent to Ft. Wayne.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/09/25/allocation-rule-change-strengthens-nba-d-league-affiliate-bond/

In accordance with the NBA, the NBA Development League will implement a rule change with regard to how D-League rosters are assembled. Beginning this season, up to three players cut last from the roster of an NBA team before the D-League Draft will be allocated to that team's D-League affiliate provided they sign the standard D-League contract.

Speed
10-12-2010, 09:24 AM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/09/25/allocation-rule-change-strengthens-nba-d-league-affiliate-bond/

They wouldn't be under contract to the NBA team though, so anyone could bring them up I believe. I don't think the NBA team retain sole rights. So it wouldn't help in this case. If I'm wrong that would really be awesome, though.

Brad8888
10-12-2010, 09:34 AM
I would like a trade to be coming, but I just don't see it unless we go ahead and trade Dunleavy.

I suspect that Ford is going to be used by O'B this year as the third point/wing, leaving the Pacers to eat his contract and release him at the end of the year. That leaves Stephenson the odd man out in my opinion due to his only skill being scoring, and I still think he will be streaky at it, regardless of the outcome of his trial.

Paul George would be my second choice due to his not being close to ready to contribute while the Pacers need all the help they can get right now.

Rolle is a needed player, also, and a cheap insurance policy for the 4, while Solo is an insurance policy for the 4/5 who knows the O'B system, and with Foster vulnerable to recurrence of his back problems, Hansbrough vulnerable to possibly returning vertigo, and now McRoberts having suffered a shot to the noggin from Howard, the interior is once again an area that having bodies is important.

Posey is a practice player who will provide lockerroom presence and additional buy-in for O'Brien, McCarty, and Potapenko so he is here no matter what he does on the court.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dahntay go, but nobody would take on his contract because he is overpaid for what he brings as a combination of the good and bad, and he is also a practice player who might be able to provide resistance against our offense and contribute that way.

Justin Tyme
10-12-2010, 09:54 AM

I disagree. If the Pacers were going to just cut Rolle, they wouldn't have signed him. Rolle, imo, has more upside than Solo, so I don't see him being the one cut.

My guess is if no trades are made b4 the season starts and Stephenson comes out of his hearing ok that Solo will be cut.

Really?
10-12-2010, 10:00 AM
I guess I started thinking about waiving players and a question popped into my head, if you have to pay a player anyways if you cut the or keep them, and you also have a rookie that isn't really costing you that much but you feel that he could contribute to your team in the future why not just cut the guy that makes a bunch of money, it probably won't hurt you very much.

I understand that you wont have that player anymore to contribute but you will still have the player that you kept to contribute.

Especially if they only have one year left on their deal

DaveP63
10-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Solo, then Posey, then Jones D...

Justin Tyme
10-12-2010, 10:15 AM
I would like a trade to be coming, but I just don't see it unless we go ahead and trade Dunleavy.

I suspect that Ford is going to be used by O'B this year as the third point/wing, leaving the Pacers to eat his contract and release him at the end of the year. That leaves Stephenson the odd man out in my opinion due to his only skill being scoring, and I still think he will be streaky at it, regardless of the outcome of his trial.

Paul George would be my second choice due to his not being close to ready to contribute while the Pacers need all the help they can get right now.

Rolle is a needed player, also, and a cheap insurance policy for the 4, while Solo is an insurance policy for the 4/5 who knows the O'B system, and with Foster vulnerable to recurrence of his back problems, Hansbrough vulnerable to possibly returning vertigo, and now McRoberts having suffered a shot to the noggin from Howard, the interior is once again an area that having bodies is important.

Posey is a practice player who will provide lockerroom presence and additional buy-in for O'Brien, McCarty, and Potapenko so he is here no matter what he does on the court.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dahntay go, but nobody would take on his contract because he is overpaid for what he brings as a combination of the good and bad, and he is also a practice player who might be able to provide resistance against our offense and contribute that way.

NO WAY PG IS GOING TO BE CUT! Bird isn't about to cut a player with his future. Bird cutting PG would wave a flag saying he drafted the wrong player. With Bird's pride that's never going to happen. Why cut PG and keep another rookie in Stephenson who hasn't been a poster child in the few short months he's been a Pacer. Stephenson will never be a better player than PG.

If the Pacers can wait on Rush to get it together after 2 years, they aren't going to cut PG. Not to mention the salary they will owe PG if they cut him. There will be 29 other teams standing in line to sign PG if he's cut. I'd be extremely surprised if Bird would trade Paul George let along cut him to get to a roster of 15.

Brad8888
10-12-2010, 10:32 AM
NO WAY PG IS GOING TO BE CUT! Bird isn't about to cut a player with his future. Bird cutting PG would wave a flag saying he drafted the wrong player. With Bird's pride that's never going to happen. Why cut PG and keep another rookie in Stephenson who hasn't been a poster child in the few short months he's been a Pacer. Stephenson will never be a better player than PG.

If the Pacers can wait on Rush to get it together after 2 years, they aren't going to cut PG. Not to mention the salary they will owe PG if they cut him. There will be 29 other teams standing in line to sign PG if he's cut. I'd be extremely surprised if Bird would trade Paul George let along cut him to get to a roster of 15.

I think you misunderstood me.

Stephenson is the player I believe they are going to cut, not George, but George would be my second choice. I believe the Pacers probably recognize the liability of Stephenson due to his history, took a chance due to his scoring capabilities, and are seeing for themselves how one dimensional his play is. It wouldn't be the first time that the Pacers have cut a highly athletic scoring machine from the second round after giving them a guaranteed rookie contract, only to discover that they didn't have the remaining skills to actually play effectively in the NBA. I could be wrong, it could just be that O'Brien has told him to focus on scoring and not bother with anything else until he gets more comfortable, but I doubt that.

I was thrilled when the Pacers drafted George because I thought he was the best available player with the most upside, and he may still be that. He at least attempts to play defense and has offensive skills, but needs lots of time to develop court awareness on both ends of the court. I just don't think the Pacers have the luxury of waiting for him to contribute, especially with O'Brien's dubious history with respect to developing young players. But, I hope the Pacers keep him for a time that they decide to bring in a coach who will teach him the game.

Dr. Awesome
10-12-2010, 11:18 AM
I think Stephenson will be cut. He has legal issues and apparently is a horrible defensive player. Plus we are stacked at the wing. Not what id like to see, but what I expect to see.

90'sNBARocked
10-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Cant we send either Rolle or Stephenson to the D League , thereby freeing up a roster spot?

Hicks
10-12-2010, 11:37 AM
I think it'll be one of the Jones' cut, but I can't say Rolle would shock me. It'd slightly surprise me, though.

Then again, even though it's not a ton of money, Dahntay still has two years after this one. I guess I'd say he's safe.

Trader Joe
10-12-2010, 11:40 AM
A player in the D-League still counts against your 15 man roster if you retain his rights.

NuffSaid
10-12-2010, 11:47 AM
My first thought is Soloman Jones is the odd man out. There just doesn't seem to be alot of room for him at PF or C, but he'd be an "insurance policy" should Foster or Hansborough go out again.

The next players in line, IMO, are either Dahntay Jone or James Posey. Right now, I'd say the coaching staff/mgmt are taking a "wait-and-see" approach on both players trying to gauge which player brings the stronger defensive skills to the hardwood.

Last, I'd say TJ Ford only because no team really needs 3 PGs with a potential 4th waiting to develop.

So, right now everything's still in flux, but my guess is unless some big trade happens between now and beginning of the season, Soloman Jones is the primary candidate on the chopping block.

Justin Tyme
10-12-2010, 11:53 AM
I think you misunderstood me.

Stephenson is the player I believe they are going to cut, not George, but George would be my second choice. I believe the Pacers probably recognize the liability of Stephenson due to his history, took a chance due to his scoring capabilities, and are seeing for themselves how one dimensional his play is. It wouldn't be the first time that the Pacers have cut a highly athletic scoring machine from the second round after giving them a guaranteed rookie contract, only to discover that they didn't have the remaining skills to actually play effectively in the NBA. I could be wrong, it could just be that O'Brien has told him to focus on scoring and not bother with anything else until he gets more comfortable, but I doubt that.

I was thrilled when the Pacers drafted George because I thought he was the best available player with the most upside, and he may still be that. He at least attempts to play defense and has offensive skills, but needs lots of time to develop court awareness on both ends of the court. I just don't think the Pacers have the luxury of waiting for him to contribute, especially with O'Brien's dubious history with respect to developing young players. But, I hope the Pacers keep him for a time that they decide to bring in a coach who will teach him the game.

No, I didn't misunderstand. I saw PG was your 2nd choice, and that was what I was referring to. Coming from you, PG being your 2nd choice, just surprised me. If Stephenson was the one cut, I can't say I would be opposed or upset.

tfarks
10-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Brad, advocating cutting George, a high 1st round pick in his first year in the NBA, is one of the most asinine comments I've ever read on a message board. Why, for any possible reason, would you maintain fringe NBA talent out of the 2nd round because the developmental player with the most potential on the entire team you drafted isn't ready to play after his very first offseason? Much less even giving him a season.

The Pacers could cut their losses and cut either D. Jones or Posey. I'm guessing like many before me it will be Solomon Jones who has been given a fair amount of time for evaluation and will probably fall behind Rolle on the pecking order. One thing this team cannot do, under any circumstance, is eliminate talent and players with high ceilings (George), especially to maintain a fat role player in Posey when the Pacers are very much in need of more talent, as they are a fringe playoff team at best right now.

IMO, I'd cut Posey, the possible injuries to Foster and Hans combined with the youth movement this team has undertaken gives Solo slightly more value, is the most logical choice to me. Posey is not the type of player that puts a team over the hump, I don't want to see him take away minutes from someone like George all season while Posey continues to age and grow in girth.

BTW I don't see the Pacers not cutting George as evidence of Bird being prideful, its just absolutely the wrong thing to do, even if the guy was trying to dribble the ball off his face right now. Sit a coach right beside the guy, throw him some gametime minutes, and get him ready sooner rather than later. And if thats 3 years great, if its 5 then its still absolutely worth it, this guy might very well become the most talented player on the team.

Sookie
10-12-2010, 12:48 PM

I feel like that's pretty short sighted.

They do have all the luxury in the world. The best we'll be able to do this season, realistically, is 7th in the East. We aren't winning a championship, we do not need "win now" players, and quite frankly none of our vets (Dahntay, TJ, Foster, Dun) will help us win "now." So no way would I cut a first round draft pick with the most potential on the team. Is he going to contribute this season..probably not. But you can see his talent, and he seems to have an incredible work ethic, so as much as I'm not big on the "potential" factor, you have to keep George.

I think it's pretty obvious who's going to go. It'll be Stephenson if he's guilty, and Solo if Stephenson isn't. But I think the Pacers are hoping to get a two for one trade with Dahntay/Rush and TJ for one player.

NuffSaid
10-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Again, if it's a matter of skill versus financing, I'm convinced Soloman Jones is the odd man out. At worse, we plug Mangum Rolle in at PF and excellarate his development. At best, we removed the odd-man-out at PF who doesn't seem to fit into the team's future plans and let the two primary/alternate candidates - McRobert (starter) and Hansborough (reserve) - fulfil their respective roles I'm sure just about everyone knew would get the job(s) anyway long before the 2010 draft occurred.

I mean, let's be real here. Anyone who paid attention to roster/team salary situation had to know that Earl Watson and Luther Head weren't coming back. Dahntey has upwards of 2-years remaining on his contract (with a player-option in the 3-yr). So, if it was difficult to move Troy Murphy w/just 1-year remaining who was the 2nd-leading scoring on the team, how difficult do you think it's going to be to move Dahntey who really hasn't shown he's anywhere near being worthy of earning the $8.1M remaining on his contract as far as I'm concerned?

You could drop McRoberts, but you'd be giving away one of the better and more athletic PFs we have among our already young group of PFs. So, if it's just a matter of financing, you drop McRoberts who is due just over $8K on this his last year of his contract compared to Solo-Jones who stands to earn $1.5M. But if it's a matter of overall skills, I say you eat that $1.5M if you have to* and go into the season with what you've got.

*This all hindges on what happens w/Stephenson's legal issue.

NuffSaid
10-12-2010, 03:52 PM
I think it's pretty obvious who's going to go. It'll be Stephenson if he's guilty, and Solo if Stephenson isn't. But I think the Pacers are hoping to get a two for one trade with Dahntay/Rush and TJ for one player.
I'd say you're absolutely, 100% dead on the mark! I'm sure TPTB are looking at every option including whether or not to add Posey in the trade mix, but I think they'd like to keep him only because of his NBA experience. My hope, however, is that Posey doesn't become one of those players who just sits and collects a paycheck if things aren't going so well for the Pacers in the "win" column. It would be too easy to do for a veteran player. Of course, if he believes he still has alot more to offer, he'll probably come out and put forth his best effort...I hope anyway.

But yeah, I think the candidates on the chopping block are pretty clear: Solo and Stephenson (pending his legal issues). I hate it for him if he is found guilty and has to do time, but if it does come to pass he did it to himself.

Mackey_Rose
10-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Again, if it's a matter of skill versus financing, I'm convinced Soloman Jones is the odd man out. At worse, we plug Mangum Rolle in at PF and excellarate his development. At best, we removed the odd-man-out at PF who doesn't seem to fit into the team's future plans and let the two primary/alternate candidates - McRobert (starter) and Hansborough (reserve) - fulfil their respective roles I'm sure just about everyone knew would get the job(s) anyway long before the 2010 draft occurred.

I mean, let's be real here. Anyone who paid attention to roster/team salary situation had to know that Earl Watson and Luther Head weren't coming back. Dahntey has upwards of 2-years remaining on his contract (with a player-option in the 3-yr). So, if it was difficult to move Troy Murphy w/just 1-year remaining who was the 2nd-leading scoring on the team, how difficult do you think it's going to be to move Dahntey who really hasn't shown he's anywhere near being worthy of earning the $8.1M remaining on his contract as far as I'm concerned?

You could drop McRoberts, but you'd be giving away one of the better and more athletic PFs we have among our already young group of PFs. So, if it's just a matter of financing, you drop McRoberts who is due just over $8K on this his last year of his contract compared to Solo-Jones who stands to earn $1.5M. But if it's a matter of overall skills, I say you eat that $1.5M if you have to* and go into the season with what you've got.

*This all hindges on what happens w/Stephenson's legal issue.

Cutting Josh McRoberts makes about as much sense as cutting Paul George at this point.

pwee31
10-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Looks like a 2 for 1 is the plan, but my guess is no one bites and Solo is gone b/c he's cheaper to buyout

pwee31
10-20-2010, 12:34 AM
:bump:

Any new opinions with the deadline approaching?

Psyren
10-20-2010, 01:21 AM
:bump:

Any new opinions with the deadline approaching?

My guess is still Solo or Magnum. I don't really care who it is, if it's between those two, because both are pretty much our 15th man who will rarely, if ever, see the court.

I'd prefer Solo, but honestly, I won't care if Magnum gets cut. Seems like a great kid, but I don't really care who our 15th man is.

Talent wise, however, Solo is the obvious cut IMO.

Hicks
10-20-2010, 02:17 AM
I'm thinking Dahntay.

pacer4ever
10-20-2010, 02:49 AM
I'm thinking Dahntay.

a trade thoe no way we cut him

Peck
10-20-2010, 03:31 AM
I'm thinking Dahntay.

Trade? Sure.

Cut? No.

I don't think there is any way the team will want to eat that length of salary just to keep a player who will be the 15th man.

Will Galen
10-20-2010, 05:48 AM
I'm thinking Dahntay.

I would agree, but Solo makes $1.5m, and it will cost $8.1m to cut Dahntay. I don't think even the fact we need big men will save Solo.

I'm still thinking a trade, or Solo.

On second thought Dahntay is possible. They could buy Dahntay's 3 remaining years out for less than $8.1m owed. Say $6.5m, or even less, then he could recoup more then his loss by signing with another team for the vet exception. Unlike Ford he would probably do something like that just to get to play.

BRushWithDeath
10-20-2010, 07:15 AM
The smart money is still on Magnum.

owl
10-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Solomon Jones then Dahntay. Even with his salary he is the least useful to the Pacers.

Players to be cut before Paul George

1-Solomon
2-Dahntay
3-Rolle
4-Stephenson
5-Ford
6-Posey
7-Foster
8-anybody not named Hibbert,Granger,Collison

It probably would have been easier to just list number 8

BoomBaby33
10-20-2010, 07:51 AM
George is not getting cut!!

If its a trade, it will be dahntay or solo, most likely solo. They have been showcasing solo i think, and I think he has been playing pretty good. We are stacked on the wing though, so the numbers say dahntay or maybe even rush. Im not sure at this point in preseason that any other team is shopping for either of their talents, unfortunately. I like dahntay, but i think he is the most sense.

If it comes down to a cut, it will be Lance. And thats who i voted for, because i dont think there will be a trade before the season starts.

Trader Joe
10-20-2010, 08:48 AM
It's not going to be Solomon Jones. Look at the minutes he is getting.

PacerGuy
10-20-2010, 09:39 AM
My guess is that you will see D.Jones traded.
With Foster's health & the concern of health w/ Han's & the youth of both he & Josh, I no longer see Solo as the odd guy out - we need a PF/C type for spot min's, & Solo can atleast provide that.
A trade will probably be something like D.Jones + 2nd for ? (likely someone who can play some b/u C &/or just a 2nd from a team who can take on salery). We will likely have to "over-pay" someone to take D.Jones, but that is where we are at.

Hicks
10-20-2010, 12:15 PM
It's not going to be Solomon Jones. Look at the minutes he is getting.

I was thinking that until it occurred to me it could be a last-minute showcase.

CableKC
10-20-2010, 12:44 PM
I'd counter that Solo is in the same boat as TJ.....if you're a GM and don't know what Solo brings to the table....then you're not paying attention.

Hicks
10-20-2010, 01:13 PM
I'd counter that Solo is in the same boat as TJ.....if you're a GM and don't know what Solo brings to the table....then you're not paying attention.

I don't know. Solo is just now leaving the "young, potential" category and entering into the "veteran" one. There's still a chance he improves (I'm not holding my breath, but still).

Trophy
10-20-2010, 01:14 PM
I really don't know why JOB continues to give Solo backup minutes at center.

He's not very good and he's probably the one that will be cut.

Magnum isn't much better, but he's young and will probably be staying so he should get the time instead of Solo.

Trader Joe
10-20-2010, 02:00 PM

Maybe, but we've been told we're seeing the rotation that will be used in the regular season and I think think that is a fact. I think Rolle will likely be the odd man out and he will probably take that NBADL deal with Allred if he is not kept around.

The only thing that will change that is if a trade occurs. Why aren't we playing D. Jones as well if it is a showcasing thing?

cordobes
10-20-2010, 02:26 PM
I really don't know why JOB continues to give Solo backup minutes at center.

He's not very good and he's probably the one that will be cut.

Magnum isn't much better, but he's young and will probably be staying so he should get the time instead of Solo.

The fact that Rolle isn't playing suggests he's the goner, barring a trade.

The Pacers only need to pay Rolle $50K if they cut him. Solomon Jones would be paid his entire salary - $1.5M.

Plus, they'll probably be able to keep Rolle in Ft. Wayne and pick him up again if they open a roster spot in the meanwhile.

Speed
10-20-2010, 02:28 PM
The fact that Rolle isn't playing suggests he's the goner, barring a trade.

The Pacers only need to pay Rolle $50K if they cut him. Solomon Jones would be paid his entire salary - $1.5M.

Plus, they'll probably be able to keep Rolle in Ft. Wayne and pick him up again if they open a roster spot in the meanwhile.

It does make the most sense. I'd hate to lose him if another team plucks him from the NBDL.

Trader Joe
10-20-2010, 02:46 PM
It does make the most sense. I'd hate to lose him if another team plucks him from the NBDL.

I think the Pacers are probably willing to take that chance to avoid paying Solomon $1 million to do nothing.

count55
10-20-2010, 02:48 PM
I think the Pacers are probably willing to take that chance to avoid paying Solomon $1 million to do nothing.

Well that's going to happen regardless.

Trader Joe
10-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Well that's going to happen regardless.

I thought about adding that. I'm glad someone was around to bat clean up.

Will Galen
10-20-2010, 03:26 PM
I will be downright shocked if it's Rolle. The Pacers already had 15 players under contract when they signed Rolle. They didn't have to sign him at all to anything other than a training camp contract.

As I see it the only possible cuts are,

1] S. Jones
2] L. Stephenson
3] D. Jones buyout

TJ Ford, won't be cut because he will be worth a lot at the trade deadline.

I really think they will try hard to trade a wing though, either D.Jones or Rush. In fact I still see a trade with Charlotte as possible. Something like, Solo, Rush, and Ford for Henderson and Diaw.

Justin Tyme
10-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Something like, Solo, Rush, and Ford for Henderson and Diaw.

Why would Bird do this trade? You give up 10 mil in expirings to take back Diaw's 9 mil salary next year? That hurts the Pacers cap next year and saddles them with Diaw. Diaw isn't that great to begin with. I'm sure MJ would be all over this deal.

BRushWithDeath
10-20-2010, 04:42 PM
I will be downright shocked if it's Rolle. The Pacers already had 15 players under contract when they signed Rolle. They didn't have to sign him at all to anything other than a training camp contract.

Admittedly I don't know what a training camp contract is worth but it can't be much less than the $50,000 Magnum signed for.

I've said he would be cut since draft night. I have seen absolutely nothing, from either Magnum's play or the Pacers' actions, to change my mind about that.

Will Galen
10-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Why would Bird do this trade? You give up 10 mil in expirings to take back Diaw's 9 mil salary next year? That hurts the Pacers cap next year and saddles them with Diaw. Diaw isn't that great to begin with. I'm sure MJ would be all over this deal.

Good point. I was looking at ESPN's trade machine and didn't realize Diaw had a player option for next year.

As for our cap next year, we would still be about $21m under the cap. That's not counting picking up Brandon's option.

Personally I want a big PF. When's the last time a team won the NBA championship with a small PF? The sooner we get one the better, however I don't think any are available.

I think it best to wait and see what we can get at the trade deadline or next summer. There's slim pickings right now.

Will Galen
10-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Admittedly I don't know what a training camp contract is worth but it can't be much less than the $50,000 Magnum signed for.

I've said he would be cut since draft night. I have seen absolutely nothing, from either Magnum's play or the Pacers' actions, to change my mind about that.

Where are you getting your $50,000 figure? I haven't seen that in print anywhere.

Speed
10-21-2010, 02:31 PM
I'd be shocked if Lance Stepheson got cut, honestly, at least at this point. Unless he's pouting privately that we don't know about, since he's not playing or in the rotation. Otherwise, I can't see it.

pacers74
10-21-2010, 02:54 PM
I won't be surprised if it is Rolle. It's not like we have seen a signed second rounder get cut before. Anyone remember James White.

count55
10-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Where are you getting your $50,000 figure? I haven't seen that in print anywhere.

Sham has it.

BRushWithDeath
10-21-2010, 04:07 PM

I was told this by someone who works for a very prominent players' agency which represents a number of Pacers. If Sham is reporting that now as well I imagine we have some similar sources for certain things.

owl
10-21-2010, 04:34 PM

You could argue that since he has played little if any minutes that he will be kept.
How would you know what you have?

BRushWithDeath
10-21-2010, 04:43 PM
We'll see but barring a last minute trade I'm fairly certain that Magnum won't be an NBA player next week.

Mackey_Rose
10-21-2010, 04:44 PM

I have to concur. It may come to pass the Herb agrees to bite the bullet on Solomon's much meatier contract, but I really doubt it.

Solomon will help us more this year than Rolle would and he's significantly more expensive. My money is on Rolle being cut.

It's nothing to be terribly concerned about. I would be very surprised if any team picked him up. I think there is a solid chance he could end up in Fort Wayne.

pacergod2
10-21-2010, 05:08 PM
There were a couple of thoughts that popped into my mind initially.

1). TJ Ford may have agreed to a buyout earlier, but the team has been trying to trade him. If they can't get anything of significant value in return, make the decision to take his reduced salary as an expiring contract for next summer. It may take away some of our ability to trade away expirings, but we still have plenty of expiring contracts to move if a bigger deal came along.

2). Jeff Foster may retire. What if Jeff's back is not where he wants it to be? His contract would come off our books if he retired and we could sign him as an assistant coach or to a front office position.

3). A one for none trade might make a ton of sense. Solo and $0.75M for a protected second rounder or a trade exception. Toronto, Charlotte, San Antonio, New York, Minnesota, Los Angeles (Clippers) are all in need of depth at center.

4). Brandon Rush for a late first rounder to a playoff team (such as San Antonio who has roster spots available). His new team has the option to exercise his rookie scale deal for next year.

Just a few thoughts. I know some may overlap with some of what has been said.

QuickRelease
10-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Good point. I was looking at ESPN's trade machine and didn't realize Diaw had a player option for next year.

As for our cap next year, we would still be about $21m under the cap. That's not counting picking up Brandon's option.

Personally I want a big PF. When's the last time a team won the NBA championship with a small PF? The sooner we get one the better, however I don't think any are available.

I think it best to wait and see what we can get at the trade deadline or next summer. There's slim pickings right now.Chicago Bulls/Dennis Rodman or Miami Heat/Udonis Haslem

Justin Tyme
10-21-2010, 05:15 PM
I'm going to play devil's advocate.

Solo is what he is. He's not going to bring anything else to the game than what he's shown since being in the NBA. While Rolle has that thing so many like to point out about players.......... POTENTIAL.

As far as the money goes, it wouldn't be the 1st time Simon ownership has bit the bullet and paid a cut players salary, Edwards... 1 mil and White $800,000, so I don't see Solo's 1.5 mil salary as the deciding factor as to not cutting him.

Unless a trade is forthcoming, I'm inclined to believe Rolle won't be the one cut.

pacergod2
10-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Chicago Bulls/Dennis Rodman or Miami Heat/Udonis Haslem

How exactly are those two small PF's?

Rodman rebounded like a guy 7' tall. Granted he was 6'7", but he played much bigger than that. He had a wingspan for days though. Rodman wasn't a brute or exceptionally tall, but he was an elite rebounder and solid defender who played bigger than he was. The Bulls also made up for that by having legit 7 footers at center and a very LONG Scottie Pippen at SF. Rodman fit the team well.

Udonis Haslem is like 6'7"-6'8" as well. He is built like a semi-truck though. He moves over to center because of it. Are you calling Karl Malone small too? 6'8", plays like a bulldozer.

I wouldn't call either guy "small" just because of the way that they played.

Mackey_Rose
10-21-2010, 05:24 PM
There were a couple of thoughts that popped into my mind initially.

1). TJ Ford may have agreed to a buyout earlier, but the team has been trying to trade him. If they can't get anything of significant value in return, make the decision to take his reduced salary as an expiring contract for next summer. It may take away some of our ability to trade away expirings, but we still have plenty of expiring contracts to move if a bigger deal came along.

2). Jeff Foster may retire. What if Jeff's back is not where he wants it to be? His contract would come off our books if he retired and we could sign him as an assistant coach or to a front office position.

3). A one for none trade might make a ton of sense. Solo and $0.75M for a protected second rounder or a trade exception. Toronto, Charlotte, San Antonio, New York, Minnesota, Los Angeles (Clippers) are all in need of depth at center.

4). Brandon Rush for a late first rounder to a playoff team (such as San Antonio who has roster spots available). His new team has the option to exercise his rookie scale deal for next year.

Just a few thoughts. I know some may overlap with some of what has been said.

I think any of those first three thoughts all are ideal in theory. Hell I'd like all three of them to happen concurrently.

I just think most of the time, the simplest answer is the right one, and the simplest answer is, I hope Magnum is living in a hotel.

Mackey_Rose
10-21-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm going to play devil's advocate.

Solo is what he is. He's not going to bring anything else to the game than what he's shown since being in the NBA. While Rolle has that thing so many like to point out about players.......... POTENTIAL.

As far as the money goes, it wouldn't be the 1st time Simon ownership has bit the bullet and paid a cut players salary, Edwards... 1 mil and White $800,000, so I don't see Solo's 1.5 mil salary as the deciding factor as to not cutting him.

Unless a trade is forthcoming, I'm inclined to believe Rolle won't be the one cut.

By NBA standards, Rolle has relatively low potential. He's older than both McRoberts and Hibbert. He doesn't have the frame to guard many power forwards, let alone centers right now, so he can't be the backup center that we are missing. He's a solid athlete but he's not unusually athletic for this league. He's basically a dime a dozen type of player.

I don't care if you're a day laborer or are a shopping mall magnate billionaire, $1.45 mil is a hefty chunk of change, and when there isn't overwhelming reason to keep the guy guaranteed only $50K, you cut the guy guaranteed only $50K.

It's nothing personal Magnum. It's just business.

Will Galen
10-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Sham has it.

Good, the last time I checked they had yet to add Rolle.

Thank You!

luis3ep
10-22-2010, 08:53 AM
As we all know, we have 17 pacers under contracts. Lance Allred is for sure getting cut which will make it 16, with one more to go... so PD, what do you think will happen in these next few days? Will someone get released/bought out? Trade?

BRushWithDeath
10-22-2010, 08:59 AM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=57193

BoomBaby33
10-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Michael Grady just confirmed on the radio (1070 the fan), that Lance has been cut. Allred that is.

pwee31
10-22-2010, 11:29 PM
If tonight says anything, it reiterates what we have heard. Solo or Dahntay will be released. Magnum has a chance as well

Justin Tyme
10-23-2010, 08:59 AM
If tonight says anything, it reiterates what we have heard. Solo or Dahntay will be released. Magnum has a chance as well

If I was a betting person, I'd bet a month's pay Dahntay isn't the player cut. I don't see Herb Simon paying his salary for 3 years at over 8 mil while he plays for another team. Solo makes 1/5 what Dahntay does in salary.... 1.5 mil vs 8.1 mil. If it's one of the 2 being cut it will be Solo. Dahntay can be used in a trade at some time in the future whether it be near or far.

If I was going to take a beating on salary, I'd trade Stephenson simply b/c I couldn't take a chance on another possible PR nightmare. JMOAA

Trophy
10-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Magnum is very soft and not aggressive at all, but I hope he stays because of his name and the fact that he seems like a nice young man.

Neither Solo nor him will have a huge role other than coming in and playing garbage minutes.