PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Radio Reporting Dampier to Dallas

SoupIsGood
08-17-2004, 07:49 PM
The Ticket is reporting that as soon as the 60 day waiting period to trade Laettner is over (next week) that the Mavs will package his $6.2MM salary with Najera's $3.8MM and send them in an S&T to Dallas for Dampier and Evan Eschmeyer and his $3.1MM salary. GS had been holding out for someone to take EE's salary off their hands in exchange for a sign and trade.

-----

This is according to someone on a spurs forum, but thought I'd spread the word. I, personally, don't believe it, but its something to talk about.

MSA2CF
08-17-2004, 07:53 PM
Why would Kevin Garnett be reporting this? I mean, I know his last name is like gannett, but come on!

SoupIsGood
08-17-2004, 07:56 PM
Yeah, i didn't get the whole Ticket thing either. I figured it was the name of some radio station.

Shade
08-17-2004, 08:05 PM
So, then, Damp will make about $7 mil his first year?

Does anyone else think JO will be pissed that we traded his best friend and refused to trade for the help he practically begged for, all in the same offseason?

SkipperZ
08-17-2004, 08:09 PM
im sure JO had no problem with the Al trade since it was probably Al's wish to go.

But isnt Croshere and Pollard better than those 2?

or is LAettner's contract expiring?

I would take on the paltry bad contract of Evan if it meant getting Cro's bad contrac.t. But if Laettner's contract is exiring i can understand y they woudl take that one

SoupIsGood
08-17-2004, 08:12 PM
Yeah Im pretty sure Leattner is expiring.

SoupIsGood
08-17-2004, 08:12 PM
NOO my first double post! All is ruined!

Hicks
08-17-2004, 08:13 PM
I don't think JO will be upset. Disappointed maybe, but upset? Nah. He wanted another big man, but he wasn't beating down the office doors demanding it.

Pig Nash
08-17-2004, 08:19 PM
NOO my first double post! All is ruined!

:banned:

Shade
08-17-2004, 08:20 PM
im sure JO had no problem with the Al trade since it was probably Al's wish to go.

I would take on the paltry bad contract of Evan if it meant getting Cro's bad contrac.t. But if Laettner's contract is exiring i can understand y they woudl take that one

Lettner's expiring, so they just upgrade Esch to Najera. It works for both teams, but now the Mavs have a glut of centers.

Pig Nash
08-17-2004, 08:24 PM

Lettner's expiring, so they just upgrade Esch to Najera. It works for both teams, but now the Mavs have a glut of centers.

I found this funny.

SoupIsGood
08-17-2004, 08:28 PM

I found this funny.

I found it pretty funny, too. Made me chuckle a little.

Pig Nash
08-17-2004, 08:34 PM

I found this funny.

I found it pretty funny, too. Made me chuckle a little.

and i'm not saying its not true. but its still funny

Kegboy
08-17-2004, 09:08 PM
Replaced Cardinal with Najera at half the price. Nice move by Chris.

Boy, Eschmeyer's contract is ugly. Best to pawn him off on the moron who gave it to him in the first place. :laugh:

Lord Helmet
08-17-2004, 09:09 PM
This is just another rumor.

Cactus Jax
08-17-2004, 09:10 PM
The World Wide Follower in sports is reporting this now, but as a 5 player deal. Haven't see who else is in it.

Cactus Jax
08-17-2004, 09:10 PM
BAH!!! Double post.

SycamoreKen
08-17-2004, 09:11 PM
The Ticket is reporting that as soon as the 60 day waiting period to trade Laettner is over (next week) that the Mavs will package his $6.2MM salary with Najera's $3.8MM and send them in an S&T to Dallas for Dampier and Evan Eschmeyer and his $3.1MM salary. GS had been holding out for someone to take EE's salary off their hands in exchange for a sign and trade.

-----

This is according to someone on a spurs forum, but thought I'd spread the word. I, personally, don't believe it, but its something to talk about.

The Ticket is the sports radio station in Dallas. I listen to it on-line on Saturdays that I go in to work. If this does happen Dallas better hope Damp actually lives up to his contract because they are trading their scrapyest player in Ed.

Hicks
08-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Nope, not a rumor. In fact now it's quite real:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1861620

Cactus Jax
08-17-2004, 09:16 PM
ESPNEWS is reporting it as Dampier, and Esch to Dallas for Najera, Laettner, and Dan Dickau (mr world traveler by now), and GS also gets TWO 1st round draft picks and cash.

That's some nice salvage for GS.

Kegboy
08-17-2004, 09:17 PM
Looking at the depth charts, Dallas has 6 centers now, 5 of which were acquired this summer, 2 of which were reacquired after previous stints in Big D (Booth and Evan.) :o

Maybe Nellie will go with a big ball lineup and put all on the floor at once. :cool:

As for GS, it's really gonna be fun to watch Eduardo steal minutes from Dunleavy, just like Brian did. :chuckle:

SoupIsGood
08-17-2004, 09:19 PM
Man, two picks for GS? They ended up coming out pretty good.

So what does that bring Damp's contract to?

I'm glad this was real, I was thinking I wasted my time posting that.

Kstat
08-17-2004, 09:19 PM
I think Dallas may have just punched its ticket for the finals.

Hicks
08-17-2004, 09:22 PM
Disagree; this doesn't push them past San Antonio.

SoupIsGood
08-17-2004, 09:23 PM
It makes dallas really good, but I like the spurs even more.

Lord Helmet
08-17-2004, 09:25 PM
Disagree; this doesn't push them past San Antonio.
I agree. San Antonio has at least the 3rd or 2nd best D.

Destined4Greatness
Dampier still has to agree, he might still choose the Pacers.

3Ball
The Ticket is a REALLY terrific sports radio station in Dallas. Kind of the Cristal of local sports talk radio. That said, they're total homers that love rumors. I love to listen to them when dallas is playing the Pacers or Colts.

Kegboy
08-17-2004, 09:27 PM
ESPNEWS is reporting it as Dampier, and Esch to Dallas for Najera, Laettner, and Dan Dickau (mr world traveler by now), and GS also gets TWO 1st round draft picks and cash.

That's some nice salvage for GS.

No *****.

Btw, Dickau is going from GS to Dallas, not the other way around. Dallas now has 17 guaranteed contracts, most of them pretty bad. The only contract I see someone being interested in is Henderson's since it's ending. Probably could trade that for a pick. Besides that, there's not much. They may just cut Dickau right away.

Cactus Jax
08-17-2004, 09:29 PM
Dampier will more than likely agree to the trade. The money was dwindling and Cuban should be able to fill his financial needs and he plays for a championship contender.

Hicks
08-17-2004, 09:34 PM
Yeah, I fully expect this to go through. Damp makes good bucks, and lands on a playoff team.

Lord Helmet
08-17-2004, 09:35 PM
Dampier still has to agree, he might still choose the Pacers.
He better.

Hicks
08-17-2004, 09:37 PM
Looking at the salaries on hoopshype, it looks like Damp's gonna make about $6mm next season.

Lord Helmet
08-17-2004, 09:41 PM
Well even if we don't land Dampier.I still think we need to get a scoring C.

bapspacers4life
08-17-2004, 09:48 PM
just nonononno NO! Dampier come here !!!:cry:

Kegboy
08-17-2004, 09:57 PM
My god, :shakehead:, Dallas' lineup is just crazy now.

Terry/Harris/Dickau (assuming Stefansson cut)
Finley/Howard/Wahad
Daniels/Stackhouse
Nowitzki/Henderson
Dampier/Bradley/Booth/Eschmeyer/Podkolzin (Mbenga cut)

There are a couple traditional lineups you can run with that group, but we know Nellie's anything but conventional. I have no clue what the mad scientist plans to do, but I'll take a stab.

I would not be the least bit surprised to see him run some twin tower scenarios with Nowitzki on the wing, Dampier down low, and Bradley or Booth up high. They could run some really nasty high/low sets with that group. Add Daniels and Finley in the backcourt, and that's just about impossible to guard.

MSA2CF
08-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Team chemistry.

Not sure if Cubes has heard of it or not.

Kegboy
08-17-2004, 10:02 PM
Team chemistry.

Not sure if Cubes has heard of it or not.

Oh, yeah, I still think this is gonna fall apart, especially with Nellie coaching. Still, it'll be interesting to watch.

SoupIsGood
08-17-2004, 10:04 PM
They need a different coach, I think.

Pig Nash
08-17-2004, 10:05 PM
I actually like what Cubes is doing to the team. But then again, i don't like either Antwaan/Antoine.

MSA2CF
08-17-2004, 10:07 PM

You do, eh? You hoser!

:p

Pig Nash
08-17-2004, 10:09 PM

You do, eh? You hoser!

Are you mad at the fact that he was thinking or that he thinks they need a new coach? :p

Hicks
08-17-2004, 10:10 PM
I know one team I'll be watching early on when I get LP

MSA2CF
08-17-2004, 10:15 PM
I know one team I'll be watching early on when I get LP

The Pacers? :confused:

MSA2CF

Pig Nash

If Dallas gets to the finals, then Detroit, Indiana, and maybe even Miami would beat them. :twocents:

SoupIsGood
I shouldn't think so much, I think.

Pig Nash
08-17-2004, 10:16 PM
who's that in your sig SIG?

MSA2CF
08-17-2004, 10:18 PM
Soup, where ever did you get that signature? :o

SoupIsGood
08-17-2004, 10:19 PM
Someone named Elise, I was hoping someone else would know who she was. I think she may be a singer.

It's odd though, because I know an Elise that looks just like her. Sorta creeps me out almost.

MSA2CF
08-17-2004, 10:22 PM
I know of a Gisele, but not an Elise. Lo siento. :(

Dampier's going through the big D and I do mean Dallas...(a little country flavor--if anyone listens, they'd get it.)

SoupIsGood
08-17-2004, 10:25 PM
I don't get it, Country is bad for you. Causes cancer.

MSA2CF
08-17-2004, 10:28 PM
I don't get it, Country is bad for you. Causes cancer.

So does eating roadkill, but it ain't never stopped me. :evillaugh:

Dampier may put up decent numbers in Dallas, but they will be down from last year's.

SoupIsGood
08-17-2004, 10:34 PM
I eat Roadkill all the time. For real. At Texas roadhouse or steakhouse whatever, they have a meal called Best Roadkill in Texas, or something to that extent. It's good too.

Young
08-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Well I guess there goes our best opition for a upgrade at center.

And most realistic one too.

But we will just end up signing some cheap piece of crap who will take Primoz's place on the bench so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Ultimate Frisbee
08-17-2004, 10:47 PM

Are you joking??

They may have punched their ticket for the playoffs!!

Before this trade there were 9 better teams in the west than Dallas:

1.) San Antonio
2.) Minnesota
3.) Denver
4.) Sacramento
5.) Los Angeles Lakers
6.) Utah
7.) Houston
8.) Memphis
9.) Phoenix

Now this makes 10 western teams that should make the playoffs!!!

SoupIsGood
08-17-2004, 10:51 PM
It doesn't seem fair, that players get signed just to ride the bench all year. They make more money than most people dream of, and don't have to do anything.

I demand a refund!

Kegboy
08-18-2004, 12:02 AM
It doesn't seem fair, that players get signed just to ride the bench all year. They make more money than most people dream of, and don't have to do anything.

I demand a refund!

Yeah, but if it makes you feel better, I'm sure they don't have a sweet sig like you. :p

Unclebuck
08-18-2004, 12:12 AM
How long of a contract is Dampier getting ?

I predict Dampier will be a bust in Dallas. And the Mavs won't be any better than they were last season. I am not ready to predict this now but the Lakers might be better than the Mavs.

I do not see how Dampier will fit in at all with the other Mavs players or their style of play. If they keep Nellie, Dampier might not even play that much. Nellie loves those small lineups. He does not play those small lineups because he has to he plays those small lineups because he wants to.

If Dampier signs a long term deal 4 or more years, I guarantee the mavs will be trying to give him way within 24 months.

PacerCrazy
08-18-2004, 12:15 AM
I didn't see this coming!

Unclebuck
08-18-2004, 12:25 AM
I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I must say this paragraph in the ESPN story is absolute garbage and proves whoever wrote this article did not watch the ECF.

Here it is:

He was also wooed by Jermaine O'Neal, who would have liked to have had the 6-foot-11, 270-pound Dampier do the dirty work inside for the Pacers, who were overwhelmed by Detroit's frontcourt in their Eastern Conference finals loss in this year's NBA playoffs.

Hicks
08-18-2004, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't call us "overwhelmed" in the paint in the ECF. More like out-shot because they have Rip Hamilton, and we don't have one lol.

SycamoreKen
08-18-2004, 12:34 AM
who would have liked to have had the 6-foot-11, 270-pound Dampier do the dirty work inside for the Pacers,

Has Dampier ever "done the dirty work" inside? I think he's just another of a handfull of average centers getting over on all of the bad ones in the league today.

kerosene
08-18-2004, 02:23 AM
I predict Dampier will be a bust in Dallas. And the Mavs won't be any better than they were last season. I am not ready to predict this now but the Lakers might be better than the Mavs.

I do not see how Dampier will fit in at all with the other Mavs players or their style of play. If they keep Nellie, Dampier might not even play that much. Nellie loves those small lineups. He does not play those small lineups because he has to he plays those small lineups because he wants to.

I agree with most of this. I'm glad the Pacers will not get Damp and I'm glad the Warriors got rid of him without taking on crappy contracts. I sort of hope Laettner is just waived.

On the other hand, I hope Damp does alright in Dallas because he's on my Keeper League team :laugh:

Burt_Reincarnated
08-18-2004, 02:50 AM
I think they have to keep Pollard now. It might even be a good year for him, He might even get 10mpg or more. That or the rook, but obviously this will be the weakest part of the team next season. What's different from last year? AL not being there to help JO when foster is out. Now we got SJ on the perimeter...

Roy Munson
08-18-2004, 12:11 PM
I agree with UB. Dampier won't do much with Dallas. I also am not upset at all that he's not going to the Pacers.

He's been pretty much terrible his entire career until this past season, which just happened to be his contract year. Now that he has another contract, he'll go back to being a big dud.

In two years I think there is a decent chance that David Harrison will be better than Dampier anyway. If not, there is a boatload of pretty good Euros to pick from who are between 18-25 years old and about 7 feet tall or better. The Pacers should be able to grab one of those in the next couple years.

From the start of this off-season I could not understand all the fuss about Dampier. People were acting like he was Moses Malone or Hakeem. He's not remotely close.

BTW...the Mav stable of centers is kind of funny. Five centers and not one of them can play. Surely, some of them will be used in future deals.