PDA

View Full Version : "Team" USA is in trouble

Shade
08-17-2004, 06:14 PM
"We played great."

This was Larry Brown after the US squeaked by Greece, 77-71. If "we played great" today, then we're in a whooooole lotta trouble. :disappointed:

Roaming Gnome
08-17-2004, 06:29 PM
This is a little unrelated, but I'm so sick of the "Rip the NBA" fest that is going on right now. What is the fascination with using NCAA players, like they would fare any better.

I normally listen to the local sports hacks here in Indy, but call after call of "This is why I hate the NBA", "They don't play any D in the NBA", " NBA ain't real basketball, It is something similar to the WWE", "I don't see the int'l teams complaining to the officials, like we are", and my favorite..."Bring back the college guys"...I nearly put my fist thru my radio.

Hicks
08-17-2004, 06:30 PM
Well, the energy was there today, we just can't shoot. So we didn't shoot great, but the effort of the team was high.

Shade
08-17-2004, 06:32 PM
This is a little unrelated, but I'm so sick of the "Rip the NBA" fest that is going on right now. What is the fascination with using NCAA players, like they would fare any better.

I normally listen to the local sports hacks here in Indy, but call after call of "This is why I hate the NBA", "They don't play any D in the NBA", " NBA ain't real basketball, It is something similar to the WWE", "I don't see the int'l teams complaining to the officials, like we are", and my favorite..."Bring back the college guys"...I nearly put my fist thru my radio.

To be fair, I've been ripping the NBA since long before this. Now it's just time for some "I told 'ya so"s. :p

Unclebuck
08-17-2004, 07:01 PM

I agree 100%.

Shade
08-17-2004, 07:04 PM

I agree 100%.

I disagree 100%. :tongue:

;)

Kstat
08-17-2004, 07:25 PM
to be fair, lets move the 3-point line back three feet, and see how well those international teams shoot.....

Lets also actually start calling the insane amount of times that those teams grab tim duncan's arms at the rim, and see how well they defend him...

able
08-17-2004, 07:31 PM
Kstat, You sure you want it out even more? after all 19% form te current distance.... that is Team USA's stat btw.

Kstat
08-17-2004, 09:09 PM
Kstat, You sure you want it out even more? after all 19% form te current distance.... that is Team USA's stat btw.

The point is, most of the world is draining 10-15 threes a game from the kiddy line. Lets see how good they are when those shots only count for 2 points instead of three.

sweabs
08-17-2004, 11:04 PM

The point is, most of the world is draining 10-15 threes a game from the kiddy line. Lets see how good they are when those shots only count for 2 points instead of three.

It's the "kiddy line" for the States as well...

SycamoreKen
08-17-2004, 11:42 PM

But, if they still hit more of them they still win. We need to start teaching kids how to play the game.

75Ranger
08-17-2004, 11:47 PM
It's the "kiddy line" for the States as well...

But NBA players don't shoot those jumpers.Its something there just not used to doing. Thats the big problem in the NBA there are very few players who utilize the midrange game, There are a ton of players in the NBA that for whatever reason can knock down open threes but move him in 3 feet and they will struggle to hit a top of the key jumper. Sounds wierd as you would think the closer you are the better you would shoot but thats not always the case.

BillS
08-18-2004, 11:09 AM
I'd like to see it go back to the NCAA players for a number of reasons:

1) They would be much more enthusiastic about the opportunity to play in the Olympics. For a lot of the NBA players, they seem to treat it about as seriously as the All-Star Game.

2) The NCAA players would not be as affected by nagging injuries carried over from the previous season.

3) The NCAA players don't have to prove that they are individual stars, and would be more likely to accept a team game structure.

4) The NCAA players have more time to practice together before international competitions.

Heck, it ran through my mind that sending the NCAA division I champion team as the USA International Competition representatives might be pretty cool in and of itself.

Hicks
08-18-2004, 11:31 AM
The NCAA players simply aren't talented enough to win the Olympics anymore.

MagicRat
08-18-2004, 11:35 AM

You should know better to listen to Mark Patrick talk about the NBA. You know what you're going to get.....

Unclebuck
08-18-2004, 11:38 AM
If they want to send the college players, I don't mind but be prepared to be one of the worst teams at the Olympics. And also be prepared for not even qualifying for the Olympics at least 50% of the time.

BillS, I don't know if you watched any of the game Tuesday afternoon but from the way the bench was reacting it looked like game #7 of the NBA Finals. The players want to win and want to win bad.

I believe they want to play as a team, but it takes more than 10 days of practice and a few preaseason games to get to it together.