PDA

View Full Version : NBA.com referring to "McBob"

McKeyFan
10-08-2010, 01:01 PM
I like the nickname. It may catch on, as NBA.com (per Sekou Smith) is apparently fond of it.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/10/07/mcbob-is-back/

Will Galen
10-08-2010, 01:11 PM
I like the nickname.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/10/07/mcbob-is-back/

McRoberts doesn't, so we shouldn't call him by that name out of respect.

BRushWithDeath
10-08-2010, 01:13 PM
The nickname sucks but the attention for McRoberts is great. It'd be awesome to have him in the contest.

vnzla81
10-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Yeah he should be in the dunk contest

BPump33
10-08-2010, 01:25 PM
That Rockets game last year was incredible. I don't care whether the Rockets were trying or not, but that was a really fun game. I'd put the Utah game ahead of it, but that's probably the only one.

Also, I should have put a date on my signature, but it was a few months ago. I'm sticking by that.

graphic-er
10-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Mcbob is Awesome, since when you do get to decide on your own fan given moniker? Josh McRoberts is not Kobe Bryant ala Black Mamba which he gave to himself.

He should be proud that his biggest fans gave him a moniker. If he wants Jmac, then he gotta go out and earn Jmac, until then he be McBob!

Hicks
10-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I was cool with McBob, but he's made it clear he'd prefer Jmac/J-Mac, so I'll adjust. I'll probably go with Jmac.

IUfan4life
10-08-2010, 01:31 PM
don't really think he would be a good dunk contest dunker

BPump33
10-08-2010, 01:35 PM

Some of his dunks during warm-ups are better than the dunk contest dunks.

Hicks
10-08-2010, 01:35 PM

Didn't he win a dunk contest in HS or college?

BPump33
10-08-2010, 01:37 PM
He lost, but here is the high school contest:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WJemla9Pd38?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WJemla9Pd38?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

pacers74
10-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Paul George said he wants to be in the dunk contest also. Has there ever been two players from one team in it?

Pacers#1Fan
10-08-2010, 02:05 PM
I would like to see a Jmac vs. Birdman dunk off, though it will never happen. I said a little while back that I wouldn't knock Josh as our starting pf until I saw it and honestly, I don't have anything to knock at this point. Seems like he is perfectly capable of being an efficient starter at the 4. Still on the fence and will be for a few more preseason games but after wednesday Josh has me much closer to sold on it then I was before.

Day-V
10-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Paul George said he wants to be in the dunk contest also. Has there ever been two players from one team in it?

I believe Vince Carter and T-Mac both were in it when they played for Toronto.

sportfireman
10-08-2010, 02:58 PM

Correct

McKeyFan
10-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Mcbob is Awesome, since when you do get to decide on your own fan given moniker? Josh McRoberts is not Kobe Bryant ala Black Mamba which he gave to himself.

He should be proud that his biggest fans gave him a moniker. If he wants Jmac, then he gotta go out and earn Jmac, until then he be McBob!

I agree with this.

Now, if the nickname was slightly pejorative (McBrick, McDick, Joshstrap, etc.) then it would be disrespectful. But McBob is fine. It's cute and clever.

Nicknames usually develop organically, not by the decree of the recipient.

Hoop
10-08-2010, 04:37 PM
I asked him last season about the nickname, he said he preferred JMac, but he was fine with McBob. He laughed and said we could call him just about anything we wanted. He seemed like a very nice and easy going kind of guy.

I got the impression that he doesn't hate the McBob nickname, so for now I'm sticking with it.

Day-V
10-08-2010, 04:47 PM
I asked him last season about the nickname, he said he preferred JMac, but he was fine with McBob. He laughed and said we could call him just about anything we wanted. He seemed like a very nice and easy going kind of guy.

I got the impression that he doesn't hate the McBob nickname, so for now I'm sticking with it.

http://launch.vidaroo.com/6209

I disagree. Check 1:24.

graphic-er
10-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Hey he goes out and does a great job playing PF this year and helps the Pacers make the playoffs I'll call'em McBob, Jmac, McGod, what ever he wants. Just go out and earn it McBob. Kobe can say call me Black Mamba, even though noboby does because its too many syllables when comapred to just Ko-Be, cause he has won championships. King James....not so much. Which is why he is called LeFraud.

Day-V
10-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Hey he goes out and does a great job playing PF this year and helps the Pacers make the playoffs I'll call'em McBob, Jmac, McGod, what ever he wants. Just go out and earn it McBob. Kobe can say call me Black Mamba, even though noboby does because its too many syllables when comapred to just Ko-Be, cause he has won championships. King James....not so much. Which is why he is called LeFraud.

Does this mean Gordon Hayward will be soon be referred to as "Steve Alford"? ;)

Trophy
10-08-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm hoping we re-sign him after this season to a long term deal.

Josh is looking like he can do a little bit of everything.

Hopefully his 3-point shooting doesn't take away from his wild inside dunking and post shooting.

graphic-er
10-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Does this mean Gordon Hayward will be soon be referred to as "Steve Alford"? ;)

Gordo' scored 9 points last night in 27 minutes.

BRushWithDeath
10-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Gordo' scored 9 points last night in 27 minutes.

In shocked you didn't make a thread to declare him ROY after such a performance.

graphic-er
10-08-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm shocked you didn't make a thread to declare him ROY after such a performance.

Just keeping with recent precedent ;)

bphil
10-08-2010, 05:14 PM
I don't like that it's become "McBob" instead of "McBobs". I believe McBobs is what they were saying on the Orlando summer league broadcast from a couple of years ago, which is the first time I heard it, when everyone was emailing in the Chuck Norris jokes...

His name isn't McRobert, it's McRoberts, so therefore it has to be McBobs, not McBob. We gotta get this thing fixed.

owl
10-08-2010, 05:18 PM
I was cool with McBob, but he's made it clear he'd prefer Jmac/J-Mac, so I'll adjust. I'll probably go with Jmac.

Jmac is easier to spell and say.

mildlysane
10-08-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm going to go with McBob as well.

BlueNGold
10-08-2010, 05:23 PM
He is McBob to me. It will take a lot of time to reprogram anything else.

Sookie
10-08-2010, 06:29 PM
I like McBob, he doesn't though, so I'll just go with Josh. (as I don't like Jmac :P)

Psycho T
10-08-2010, 07:12 PM
I like McBob, he doesn't though, so I'll just go with Josh. (as I don't like Jmac :P)

Any " Mac " names should be reserved for non 10th men.

McBob was a nickname given to him by UNC fans while he was at Duke and it was meant as an insult.. Probably why he doesnt care for the name.

BlueNGold
10-08-2010, 07:32 PM

McBob was a nickname given to him by UNC fans while he was at Duke and it was meant as an insult.. Probably why he doesnt care for the name.

Ironic that you would name yourself Psycho T.

I do believe Tyler doesn't care for that either.

I like McBob and Psycho T and ...Woh!, there is he is.

Trader Joe
10-08-2010, 07:58 PM

10th man? Looks like he has the starting PF job on lock down right now.

Also, he's been McBob well before he arrived at Duke.

JonnyB83
10-09-2010, 09:30 AM
I like McBob waay better its much more fun to say than JMac but if JMac is what he wants then that's what he'll be. Even though I slip up all the time and still call him McBob. It'll take awhile to get use to.

Kegboy
10-09-2010, 11:21 AM
I still prefer McBeard.

10-09-2010, 01:50 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e335/ryheathco/mclovin_mcroberts.jpg

McLovin it.

Come on, JMac has been done before (TMac). IMO, JMac makes Josh sound like a "wannabe." As if he isn't good enough for something original.

Trader Joe
10-09-2010, 10:50 PM
I just call him Josh, it's the easiest thing to type. Nicknames are supposed to be easier McBob actually takes longer.

Indra
10-11-2010, 08:36 AM
I just call him Josh, it's the easiest thing to type. Nicknames are supposed to be easier McBob actually takes longer.

Why is everybody under the impression that nicknames have to be shorter/easier than the original name? Oftentimes that can be the case, but nicknames can be longer than the original name (Bobby as opposed to Bob). There isn't some nickname rulebook that says it has to be shorter than "Josh."

RWB
10-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Let's keep it real simple, the only J-Mac known to the nation is the autism kid from Rochester New York. The one they are still planning on making a movie about.

pacers74
10-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Josh just needs to embrace McBob. He reminds me a lot of Scot Pollard with a much better game.

graphic-er
10-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to say the the opposing player just got McBob'ed.

BRushWithDeath
10-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Josh just needs to embrace McBob. He reminds me a lot of Scot Pollard with a much better game.

Beyond height and skin tone, Scot Pollard and Josh McRoberts have absolutely nothing in common.

BlueNGold
10-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Beyond height and skin tone, Scot Pollard and Josh McRoberts have absolutely nothing in common.

Josh has more in common with Granger.

McKeyFan
10-11-2010, 10:18 PM

Yeah, the pony tail and everything.

Naptown_Seth
10-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Here's the problem - JMac is incredible lame in that it's dime a dozen. It's right up there with the brain dead "insert letter"-dog, ala J-Dog, B-Dog, etc.

I'd rather call him Fleetwood Mac than JMac. And I'm with Kegboy, I love McBeard and that we can say that in reference to him or his beard, much like "The Situation". :D

McBob doesn't roll off the tongue I'll admit, but it is rather unique and thus benefits defining his identity. We must save him from himself. His ego wants to play it safe and not risk being uncool but that's not going to get him anywhere.

BTW, I thought his new official nickname was Irrelevant, or Mr. Irrelevant. I know I'm getting a 32 with that on the back. It's a badge of honor for him I think and tied to a specific moment when the fans championed him.

MLB007
10-12-2010, 12:07 PM

actually they were both scrappy players with limited skills that depend on hustle and energy to be effective.
So they have absolutely a lot in common.
Which is what he was talking about. ;)

MLB007
10-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Josh has more in common with Granger.

like what?

BRushWithDeath
10-12-2010, 12:21 PM
actually they were both scrappy players with limited skills that depend on hustle and energy to be effective.

Josh McRoberts does not have limited skills. At all. He's an elite level passer and ball handler for his size. He has near elite athleticism. He's an above average rebounder and shot blocker. He's an above average shooter for his size. Jack of all trades, master of few maybe. But limited skills is way off the mark.

You basically described Foster and Hansbrough though.

Day-V
10-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Still gonna call him McBob and/or McRelevant. Can't call him "J-Mac". That's been Jamie McMurray's nickname since 2002.

McKeyFan
10-12-2010, 05:10 PM
McRelevantWe may have a winner right there.

Kegboy
10-12-2010, 06:38 PM
We may have a winner right there.

+1

BlueNGold
10-12-2010, 08:43 PM
like what?

Um, athleticism for one.

Not saying they are similar...they are just not as far apart. When you look in the dictionary at the word "stiff", Pollard is looking back at you.

BlueNGold
10-12-2010, 08:49 PM

Completely disagree.

Pollard was NOT an energy guy. He was a big, strong Center with caveman legs. McBob is thin and athletic...and can jump through the roof. McBob is that energy guy. Pollard was the wide body you threw in there to contain the likes of Shaq. He was not a Foster-like energizer bunny player at all. Pollard was more of what we used to call "big white stiffs".

As for NBA players in general, heck yes they run around the court...but not every player is an energy guy. Goodness, if Pollard had Foster-like energy, he probably would have averaged 15 boards a game.

xBulletproof
10-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Anyone who thinks Pollard and McBob are alike either fall into 1 of 2 categories.

1) You're the worst talent evaluator I've ever seen or ....

2) You're too young, or simply never paid attention to who Pollard was.

BlueNGold
10-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Anyone who thinks Pollard and McBob are alike either fall into 1 of 2 categories.

1) You're the worst talent evaluator I've ever seen or ....

2) You're too young, or simply never paid attention to who Pollard was.

Why thank you.

BTW, categorizing McBob as an energy player probably is somewhat questionable as well. He does have highly refined passing skills and great court awareness. He also is developing a stroke. How about we just call him a good player?

As for Pollard, he came in handy against Shaq at times. I don't recall any of his windmill dunks though...:laugh:

xBulletproof
10-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Why thank you.

No problem. Pretty easy when you're right. This isn't even open to interpretation or even possibly a matter of opinion like most things people here disagree on. It's just simply a very bad comparison.

Pollard was pretty much good for the use of his fouls on big men that couldn't shoot FT's. Not much else.

Anthem
10-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Pollard was pretty much good for the use of his fouls on big men that couldn't shoot FT's. Not much else.
Pollard was good at picking out nail polish.

10-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks for mentioning Pollard. trading Antonio Davis and Brad Miller were huge mistakes. Two big men we traded during to different eras in which we were contending for a championship. I personally believe that trading each of those players cost the Pacers a ring. Opportunity lost.

Back to my therapist.

BlueNGold
10-12-2010, 10:04 PM
No problem. Pretty easy when you're right. This isn't even open to interpretation or even possibly a matter of opinion like most things people here disagree on. It's just simply a very bad comparison.

Pollard was good for a laugh. I think he even joked about his vertical at some point.

I suppose he was too loose to be that stiff. Certainly he wasn't as stiff as Eric Montross, Todd Fuller and Joe Klein.

Oh My, just read that Todd Fuller was picked in the draft before Kobe Bryant...

travmil
10-12-2010, 10:24 PM

A quick trip to Wikipedia and it looks like it's happened way more than that. The 1987, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 2000, and 2005 all featured teammates. In the case of '87, '88, and '89 there were two sets of teammates in each of those three years with Clyde Drexler and Jerome Kersey competing in all three contests, Tom Chambers and Terrance Stansbury in '87, and Spud Webb and Dominique doing the honors in '88 and '89.

Kegboy
10-13-2010, 12:09 AM
As far as I know, neither Danny nor Josh ever have had a steak, a urinal, and Peck in common.

Kemo
10-13-2010, 12:15 AM
My personal nickname for him is Big Mac ..

grace
10-13-2010, 11:36 AM
As far as I know, neither Danny nor Josh ever have had a steak, a urinal, and Peck in common.

I was going to hit the thank you button, but I know you feel about that the same way you do about facebook so instead I'm just going to point out that you know you've been around too long when you start making references that people don't have any idea what you're talking about.

I'm assuming that thread is gone. If not for everyone who doesn't know about it you really should look it up. That's some funny :censored: right there.