PDA

View Full Version : Who called it?

McKeyFan
10-06-2010, 05:43 PM
I noticed in another thread where Jay was given credit for "calling it" on T.J. when the trade was first made. Most of the board was high on him, but Jay predicted we would soon be weary of him and want some other point guard that looked to pass first and wasn't hindered by his height when driving to the rim.

I think there are several other posters who "called it" and I want to list a few and ask for others that I missed:

- Jay also predicted Artest would blow up on us.
- Seth predicted Murphleavy's contracts would cripple the franchise
- I think Peck predicted the P's might fail to resign Brad Miller
- I'll take credit for calling for a trade of Tinsley two years before he became highly unpopular.
- Anthem predicted Hansbrough's problems might continue into next season.

I can't remember who was prescient when JOB got hired.

Did anybody cry foul when JO got the max or Bender was extended?

Others?

pacersgroningen
10-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Can I already call Paul George as the guy who will get us to the ECF in the 2012-2013 season? (Not saying Roy and DC aren't vital parts as well)

CT Pacer
10-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I'll call that this thread will be filled with people calling new things. :cool:

BRushWithDeath
10-06-2010, 06:02 PM
UB called McRoberts being out of the NBA before the year 2009.

cdash
10-06-2010, 06:08 PM
I called that the Pacers would begin playing their home games at Conseco Fieldhouse once it was built.

avoidingtheclowns
10-06-2010, 06:09 PM
pacergod2 called the JO to Toronto deal (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?p=730426#post730426) (he did have the wrong throw in - he said Joey Graham instead of Maceo Baston).

LG33 accurately predicted Travis Diener and Kareem Rush were the "best shooters in the league" Bird promised (can't find any record of it on this site... a stretch where we were on PD2 or PD3 maybe?)

vnzla81
10-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Shade said that Bayless was going to be a beast

And I called the Tyler draft

vapacersfan
10-06-2010, 06:33 PM
I noticed in another thread where Jay was given credit for "calling it" on T.J. when the trade was first made. Most of the board was high on him, but Jay predicted we would soon be weary of him and want some other point guard that looked to pass first and wasn't hindered by his height when driving to the rim.

I think there are several other posters who "called it" and I want to list a few and ask for others that I missed:

- I'll take credit for calling for a trade of Tinsley two years before he became highly unpopular.

Others?

Clearly you were not around to hear BBalls non stop *****ing......;)

Brad8888
10-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Shotgun.

Dr. Awesome
10-06-2010, 07:03 PM
I called Jim O'Brien as a bad coach after his third game with the Pacers.

Putnam
10-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Not me. I never predict anything.

It is hard enough to comprehend what is happening right at the moment, let alone something that lies in an uncertain future.

Oh, wait.

I did predict that The Who would give a lousy half-time show at the Super Bowl. Does that count?

BlueNGold
10-06-2010, 07:13 PM
I called drafting Lance to be a mistake. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Not huge since it was second round, but still stupid based on where this team is attempting to go. I still cannot believe Bird picked him. Blinded by the talent I suppose. Even if this incident had not happened, it was still a mistake.

I guess my question is, would you want Stephon Marbury on your team? That's the kind of cloth this dude is cut from...but he's also violent.

BlueNGold
10-06-2010, 07:14 PM

It took you 3 games?...;)

vnzla81
10-06-2010, 07:19 PM

UB called that O'brien was going to be a good coach

Unclebuck
10-06-2010, 07:43 PM
UB called McRoberts being out of the NBA before the year 2009.

LOL. No, not before the year 2009. LOL.

I suppose I was one of the first to turn on David Harrison and Jamaal Tinsley

McKeyFan
10-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Seth called that we would regret getting rid of Carlisle.

Peck
10-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Actually I didn't predict the Brad Miller trade because Walsh promised everyone that he would get him signed and done.

However the year before I did say the the extension of Foster & Bender would cost us a valuable player and that player ended up being Brad Miller, so I guess in a way I did pick it.

vapacersfan
10-06-2010, 08:02 PM
I made one incorrect prediction I remember off the top of my head.

I was furious when we traded for JO. I HATED that we gave up a Davis guy for him.

That said, I was happy with his max dael, and if the Pacers had to do it all over again I bet they would (cause at least 2 other teams were offering him a max contract)

I was not thrilled with Benders extension, but I never soured on him until his injury after the Christmas day (or eve) game.

McKeyFan
10-06-2010, 09:04 PM
I think several of us soured on Bender early on, the evidence being all the jokes and artwork regarding a "deer in the headlights."

DrFife
10-06-2010, 09:05 PM

Not huge since it was second round, but still stupid based on where this team is attempting to go.

I know I'm not alone in this opinion, but I'll volunteer to "call" that by next year we will have wished we had taken Solomon Alabi (instead of Lance). The Hepatitas B scare is a non-issue, according to doctors. Right now he's still just potential, but as Foster declines (further), we'll need a true backup center. A developed Alabi is exactly what we'll be wishing for, I predict.

Here's a recent update on him by Frank Zicarelli of the Toronto Sun:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2010/10/06/15607966.html

"As he evolves into a legitimate NBA big, itís incumbent on Raptors rookie Solomon Alabi to get bigger, develop better foot work and improve his balance.

Itís all part of the learning curve for a kid who works hard, listens and is very excited as the Raptors were set to tip off their pre-season late Wednesday night against the host Phoenix Suns.

Heís so far away from being a frontline player that itís foolish to even project what kind of impact this second-round draft choice will have with the Raptors.

Unlike lottery pick Ed Davis (knee), Alabi is at least healthy, learning in a practice setting and is sure to get minutes during exhibition play.

ďIím trying to get my legs stronger,íí Alabi said. ďThe coaches have talked to me about it and itís something Iím working on it.Ē

Heís spending extra time in the weight room, working alongside assistant Alex English to refine his foot work and generally trying to absorb something new each day.

As Alabi spoke about his first training camp experience, former NBAer and Canadian national team centre Todd MacCulloch was spotted outside the Raptorsí dressing room.

MacCulloch never had Alabiís wing span, but his foot work was good and he left everything out on the floor, despite being slow of foot.

ďEverything is much faster at this level,íí added Alabi, a Florida State product who earned his reputation at the college level on the defensive end of the floor. ďPractises are much harder. Thereís a lot of plays coming your way, but Iím excited and itís fun.Ē

McKeyFan
10-06-2010, 09:19 PM
I know I'm not alone in this opinion, but I'll volunteer to "call" that by next year we will have wished we had taken Solomon Alabi (instead of Lance). The Hepatitas B scare is a non-issue, according to doctors. Right now he's still just potential, but as Foster declines (further), we'll need a true backup center. A developed Alabi is exactly what we'll be wishing for, I predict.

That's a prediction yet to be confirmed. Which is okay. But I'm looking for ones in the past that can even be confirmed by past threads. Any of you guys that can do so, this is your time to brag.

BBall, did you complain when JO was maxed and Bender extended?

Did anybody complain when Tinsley was extended?

Anthem
10-06-2010, 09:34 PM
I called Dunleavy's wasted 2009-2010 season.

EDIT: And I did it in 2008.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?p=813067#post813067

pizza guy
10-06-2010, 09:52 PM
I called the Colts winning the 2006 Super Bowl in the season opener because Manning was able to elude pressure and complete a pass to Dallas Clark on the run. Can't prove it with a thread, but I did.

Can't think of anything I've called for the Pacers.

I also called for a pizza tonight, lol.

Bball
10-06-2010, 09:59 PM
That's a prediction yet to be confirmed. Which is okay. But I'm looking for ones in the past that can even be confirmed by past threads. Any of you guys that can do so, this is your time to brag.

I did complain when Bender was extended. That was senseless.

I wondered about maxing JO but I went along with the crowd thinking that was the market price. I'm still wondering who we were really competing with as far as needing to pay the max. I don't remember any official sources ever stating JO would've gotten the FA max anywhere else... that was just the forum assumption at the time that a couple of teams wanted him that badly. But while that is repeated as fact now, I've still yet to see anything after the fact saying his market price was really that high and that's what any team was ready to offer. IIRC the main suitor was the Spurs and he didn't even talk to the Spurs once the Pacers offer was made official.

As for Tinsley.... Did we even know Tinsley was extended when it happened or was it one of those drop ins where you're reading about the Pacer practices, who's injured, who's doing charity work, etc... and then the beat writer at the time mentions it like it was common knowledge "Tinsley will be inactive for tonight's game with a sinus infection. After signing a contract extension earlier this fall the Pacers had hoped Tinsley's sinus problems were behind him"

pacer4ever
10-06-2010, 10:58 PM

Tinsley would of been a good deal if he didnt get fat and shoot the town up an the titty bars

McKeyFan
10-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Tinsley would of been a good deal if he didnt get fat and shoot the town up an the titty bars

Actually, I was calling for his ouster long before the "incidents."

On the court, because he couldn't hit an outside shot, we lost games at the end as opponents would just sag off of Tinsley and he'd chuck a brick.

Too bad. He had fantastic handles.

pacergod2
10-06-2010, 11:21 PM
pacergod2 called the JO to Toronto deal (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?p=730426#post730426) (he did have the wrong throw in - he said Joey Graham instead of Maceo Baston).

Damn you Joey Graham!!!

I wasn't going to even put that in this thread, but thank you ATC. I appreciate that someone else remembered that.

CooperManning
10-06-2010, 11:33 PM

Not huge since it was second round, but still stupid based on where this team is attempting to go. I still cannot believe Bird picked him. Blinded by the talent I suppose.

There are worse things to be blinded by.

avoidingtheclowns
10-06-2010, 11:34 PM

Science?

Putnam
10-07-2010, 06:47 AM

Science?

The light?

Will Galen
10-07-2010, 07:57 AM

Others?

Basically the more information a person has the better they can make a prediction that will come true. Some of the predictions people make on the internet though aren't in any way informed, just a lucky guess. So with that out of the way I'm going to predict two things, and I have no doubt at all one of them will come true.

One, the Pacers will win over 50 games this year. Two, my first prediction won't come true.

DrFife
10-07-2010, 07:59 AM
The light?

(I still have no idea what he is "wrapped up like." It can't be what I always sing. :o)

(Incredibly random association: Does anyone else adore the way Samuel Jackson would make up lyrics in The Long Kiss Goodnight?) E.g.,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyoJN9MN-lQ

Granville Fleming
10-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Back in '04 NBA Finals, I called Pistons over Lakers in 5 games. I think they won it in 6, but so what? U wanna fight about it?

DrFife
10-07-2010, 08:13 AM
That's a prediction yet to be confirmed. Which is okay. But I'm looking for ones in the past that can even be confirmed by past threads.

Apologies, McKeyFan. I did intentionally stretch your request, in part because I've thought but question how often I've actually declared a number of "calls." Our drafting of Hibbert (via the JO trade, of course) is a key example. Many posters chided TPTB for selecting someone so athletically challenged, even an outdated type of center. I enjoyed his likability and trusted that his good character would translate to continuous improvement through hard work. I continue to be delighted that he's a Pacer.

naptownmenace
10-07-2010, 10:36 AM
I suppose I was one of the first to turn on David Harrison and Jamaal Tinsley

David Harrison, maybe. I'm pretty sure I was the first to turn on Tinsley.

I soured on him way back in 2003, his 3rd season (also the 61 win season), after he was benched in favor of Kenny Anderson. Even when he returned as the starter I was unhappy with his poor shooting and sieve-like defense.

I never liked Bender's and Foster's contract extension when it happened because it would make it difficult to re-sign JO, Reggie, and Brad Miller at the end of the season. I don't know if I was first but I was in the mix that hated that decision.

Things I totally failed in predicting:

I was convinced that Artest would get his act together while with the Pacers and I thought that JO would be well worth his max contract. I also thought that Al Harrington and Jonathan Bender would be All-Star players someday.

MyFavMartin
10-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Without looking, can anyone tell me the Charlotte Bobcats PG rotation?

Once finding out what it is, even if you must look, can one tell me why they wouldn't want TJ?

McKeyFan
10-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Apologies, McKeyFan. I did intentionally stretch your request, in part because I've thought but question how often I've actually declared a number of "calls." Our drafting of Hibbert (via the JO trade, of course) is a key example. Many posters chided TPTB for selecting someone so athletically challenged, even an outdated type of center. I enjoyed his likability and trusted that his good character would translate to continuous improvement through hard work. I continue to be delighted that he's a Pacer.

No problem.

Now that you mention it, KennerLeaguer gets props for predicted that Roy would be strong on offense, not so strong on defense. Everyone thought the opposite.

BRushWithDeath
10-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Once finding out what it is, even if you must look, can one tell me why they wouldn't want TJ?

Because they've seen T.J. play.

McKeyFan
10-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Anthem was calling for a trade of Dunleavy after his 19 ppg season three years ago. That was a pretty good idea.

BornReady
10-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Without looking, can anyone tell me the Charlotte Bobcats PG rotation?

I believe it is currently DJ Augustin. He backed Felton last year, and I am not aware of any other PG they have. Is Ford that much of an upgrade from DJ? I believe their style of play is similar, but DJ also hits 3s.

MyFavMartin
10-07-2010, 10:55 AM
I believe it is currently DJ Augustin. He backed Felton last year, and I am not aware of any other PG they have. Is Ford that much of an upgrade from DJ? I believe their style of play is similar, but DJ also hits 3s.

Javaris Crittendon and Sherron Collins.

With Jackson and Wallace, I'd think Larry Brown would want a more veteran presence at PG than Augustin, who, yes, can hit the 3, but I'd think just from a depth perspective, they're one injury away from either of the 2 above guys running point for them. I'd think TJ would start over any of them and with a 1 year contract, it's not that much of a risk. Maybe Bird's asking for too much or maybe Jordan is asking for too much and would nick the deal at the last second if he doesn't get exactly what he wants.

McKeyFan
10-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Wrong thread, fellas.

Trader Joe
10-07-2010, 10:58 AM
I called Dunleavy's wasted 2009-2010 season.

EDIT: And I did it in 2008.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?p=813067#post813067

I was ridin' on this bandwagon. It was good times.

Shade
10-07-2010, 11:59 AM

Not only did I call JOB as a bad coach the day he was hired by the Pacers, but the style of play we've seen is exactly what I said we would see (shooting lots of threes and bad defense). Those at the forum parties at the time will remember my arguments about Jim.

Shade
10-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Shade said that Bayless was going to be a beast

And I called the Tyler draft
I also said it would take at least 2-3 seasons before Bayless became a contibutor.

Bayless still has a much better chance of reaching his ceiling than Rush.

McKeyFan
10-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Bayless still has a much better chance of reaching his ceiling than Rush.

Rush seems to reach his ceiling (psychologically) on a regular basis.

Sparhawk
10-07-2010, 12:56 PM
I wasn't a part of this board, but I knew that Croshere would get a lucrative deal when he played well in the playoffs, even though I knew that it was a fluke and absolutely retarded to give a player that kind of money for 1 stinking series!

flox
10-07-2010, 01:22 PM
I was one of the biggest Anti-Rush people here and I'd like to feel that I was right about his ceiling (backup sg), and Bayless ceiling (Jason Terry lite)

Of course I also called TJ have breakout years every year so...

naptownmenace
10-07-2010, 03:07 PM
I also was wrong about The Brothers Rush.

I thought Kareem was a great signing. He wasn't bad but I thought he would wind up being the full-time starter at SG. I also thought Brandon would be as good as Paul Pierce.

http://www.ipandora.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/epic_fail.jpg

HeliumFear
10-07-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm calling Josh McRoberts to be the worst starting PF in the NBA this season. Too easy.

pacergod2
10-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Does anybody remember the forum party not this past summer but the one before?

We were discussing Roy Hibbert and very few people at the time thought he was worth a damn. The jury is still out. But I was pretty fervent in my argument.

vnzla81
10-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Does anybody remember the forum party not this past summer but the one before?

We were discussing Roy Hibbert and very few people at the time thought he was worth a damn. The jury is still out. But I was pretty fervent in my argument.

Me too, I also remember peck saying that he liked the DJ signing and tha he was going to change the pacers defense or some like that

TheDon
10-07-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm calling Josh McRoberts to be the worst starting PF in the NBA this season. Too easy.

Actually the Nets now have that honorable distinction. The worst starting PF in the NBA that is.

HeliumFear
10-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Actually the Nets now have that honorable distinction. The worst starting PF in the NBA that is.

Not even close. It's pretty much between Josh and Hedo starting out of position at PF for the Suns. Even then I'm giving the edge to Josh.

flox
10-07-2010, 05:08 PM
I agree. Yeah. McBob probably will be the worst starting four barring injury.

cdash
10-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Not even close. It's pretty much between Josh and Hedo starting out of position at PF for the Suns. Even then I'm giving the edge to Josh.

In today's NBA, Hedo is not really out of position at the 4.

vnzla81
10-07-2010, 06:36 PM
I also called that the pacers were going to suck and no playoffs last year, the year before and the year before that one ;)

jhondog28
10-07-2010, 06:38 PM
I called that El Pacero was really Duke Dynamite Oh yea and I called the Hans Solo nickname for Tyler and called him being drafted before Vnzla. ;)

cdash
10-07-2010, 06:39 PM
I think we need to start a predictions thread for the future, so in a year or two people can reference that thread and pat themselves on the back some more.

BillS
10-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Oh yea and I called the Hans Solo nickname for Tyler and called him being drafted before Vnzla. ;)

Like that was hard. Vnzla went undrafted.

Los Angeles
10-08-2010, 09:38 AM
i called Dunleavy's recovery timeline. Every step of the way.

vnzla81
10-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Like that was hard. Vnzla went undrafted.

And still undrafted :(

avoidingtheclowns
10-08-2010, 02:58 PM
I was completely mistaken about PD enjoying Thomas Dolby references in this thread.

ChicagoJ
10-09-2010, 12:03 AM
I was completely mistaken about PD enjoying Thomas Dolby references in this thread.

Look, you had a chance to give it The Boss treatment. You should have expected the outcome. Putnam > you.

Anthem
10-09-2010, 01:01 AM
Anthem was calling for a trade of Dunleavy after his 19 ppg season three years ago. That was a pretty good idea.
Still a good idea. I was just thinking about starting a thread called "Who's the best starting SG we could get?"

pacer4ever
10-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Still a good idea. I was just thinking about starting a thread called "Who's the best starting SG we could get?"

another wing lol would that be 7. Think we would problly trade for a PF

Anthem
10-09-2010, 08:40 AM
another wing lol would that be 7. Think we would problly trade for a PF
The idea would be that we'd trade multiple players, including a wing, to get a better wing.

McKeyFan
10-09-2010, 09:03 AM
The idea would be that we'd trade multiple players, including a wing, to get a better wing.
What are you, some kind of genius?