PDA

View Full Version : Pacers are set to take the show on the road/Paul George could be the starter

vnzla81
10-06-2010, 06:31 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20101006/SPORTS04/10060315/Pacers-are-set-to-take-the-show-on-the-road

Written by
Mike Wells Indystar

Grizzlies will be a welcome sight in tonight's preseason opener

Indiana Pacers coach Jim O'Brien will get his first opportunity see his team in action against another opponent tonight when they open the preseason against the Memphis Grizzlies.

The Pacers host the Orlando Magic at Conseco Fieldhouse on Friday, then play at Houston on Saturday.
O'Brien plans to use different rotations to test various player combinations. He doesn't expect any player to play more than 24 minutes in the first four preseason games, with the possible exception of rookie Paul George.
The Pacers will be without power forward Tyler Hansbrough and point guard T.J. Ford. Ford is out at least a week with a strained right hamstring. Hansbrough is working his way back from vertigo..
Here are some of the key story lines to watch during the preseason:
George pushing Mike Dunleavy for the starting shooting guard position
The veteran Dunleavy has been shooting great and moving exceptionally well without the ball after dealing with knee problems the past two years.
George is showing why he was the No. 10 pick in the draft. He already has a good understanding of the system. He's quick and has active hands on defense. And the coaching staff usually has to tell him something only once.
O'Brien feels George can be a rotation player early in the season. "He's a special talent," O'Brien said.Last season's starter, Brandon Rush, is suspended for the first five regular-season games for failing the league's mandatory drug test three times.
Collison's continued progress
Darren Collison has lived up to the hype so far in training camp.
He pushes the ball at the point, thinks pass first and pressures the ball defensively while leading by example.
Collison's play has given the Pacers hope they will finally have stability at the position.
"He's been terrific," O'Brien said. "When the ball is in his hands, he makes very mature, effective plays as a point guard."
The last roster spot
The Pacers need to trim their roster from 17 players to the league-mandated 15 by Oct. 25.
Center Lance Allred will likely be cut. He was brought in as an extra body for camp.
The Pacers will have to make a two-for-one trade or release a player to get to 15.
They would like to trade one of their wings because that position remains the deepest on the team.
Defensive progress
The defense continues to lag behind the offense. That's not a good sign for the Pacers, if history is any indication.
"They have to understand there are two ends of the court," O'Brien said. "We have to prove to ourselves that we can protect our basket. I haven't seen that yet in training camp. They've got to prove it to themselves. If they can do that, they can be a playoff team. If they can't, they won't be."
The Pacers have struggled defensively every year under O'Brien.
Hansbrough's return
He is already behind the rest of his teammates because he has yet to take part in the daily five-on-five scrimmages.
The Pacers say Hansbrough has not suffered a setback, but they have chosen to gradually to ease last year's first-round pick back into the mix so he doesn't get overwhelmed.

Will Galen
10-06-2010, 08:13 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20101006/SPORTS04/10060315/Pacers-are-set-to-take-the-show-on-the-road Hansbrough's return
He is already behind the rest of his teammates because he has yet to take part in the daily five-on-five scrimmages.
The Pacers say Hansbrough has not suffered a setback, but they have chosen to gradually to ease last year's first-round pick back into the mix so he doesn't get overwhelmed.

Written by
Mike Wells Indystar

Overwhelmed? They have to mean that in a medical sense and even then it doesn't make much sense to me. I have vertigo and I would never use the word overwhelmed unless I was so dizzy I couldn't walk.

All I can think of is he must have it really bad. Mine started about 4 or 5 years ago and it hardly even bothers me anymore, so there's still hope.

I think what they are worried about is another concussion, but he's going to get hit in the head sooner or later from the way he plays.

Trophy
10-06-2010, 08:45 AM
I think Paul should start in a few preseason games just to give Danny and/or Mike some rest before the season starts.

Trader Joe
10-06-2010, 08:49 AM
All we've heard about George and Dun are glowing reports, if PG is truly pushing Dun for the starting spot, this is some of the best news we've gotten all training camp.

owl
10-06-2010, 08:53 AM
I ultimately see PG as a more athletic Granger and better defender. He has lead or been at the top on the team in the defensive categories such as deflections and steals.

BillS
10-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Overwhelmed? They have to mean that in a medical sense and even then it doesn't make much sense to me. I have vertigo and I would never use the word overwhelmed unless I was so dizzy I couldn't walk.

All I can think of is he must have it really bad. Mine started about 4 or 5 years ago and it hardly even bothers me anymore, so there's still hope.

I think what they are worried about is another concussion, but he's going to get hit in the head sooner or later from the way he plays.

My wife has vertigo and "overwhelmed" makes some sense to me. If too much is going on and she has to change her attention a lot she tends to whip her head around, which can cause it to start up again.

She has a "displaced crystals in the balance canals" issue, though.

McKeyFan
10-06-2010, 09:32 AM
This looks really bad.

Injured in 2009 and still can't play?

Mourning
10-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Man! It's been so long ago since I've actually felt good about the team again. I'm not expecting a 45-win season, but finally the sun is starting to come up for this franchise. Finally some positive and real fun things to look forward to again :thumbsup:.

The exception to this seems to be Tyler. But, for now I'm just sticking with the "bringing him slowly aswell as carefully, but steady"-line.

MillerTime
10-06-2010, 09:33 AM
I think its a great idea to give Lance and George a lot of mins in these preseason games. I expect both players to be very nervous tonight, because after all, it is their first NBA game (whether preseason or not).

Cant wait to watch the game tonight

MLB007
10-06-2010, 09:36 AM
George is showing why he was the No. 10 pick in the draft. He already has a good understanding of the system. He's quick and has active hands on defense. And the coaching staff usually has to tell him something only once.
O'Brien feels George can be a rotation player early in the season. "He's a special talent," O'Brien said

Told ya :dance:

MLB007
10-06-2010, 09:44 AM
All we've heard about George and Dun are glowing reports, if PG is truly pushing Dun for the starting spot, this is some of the best news we've gotten all training camp.

Yeh, this is a big win win.
I'm thinking one of them is going to be an excellent 6th man.
Depending on if they think PG's defense could be a difference maker, I'd like to see Mike startign and PG watching and learning the starters for awhile. He can come in against 2nd teams (for awhile) and become a factor much quicker. (maybe)
Mike gets to reestablish his reputation and TRADE VALUE just in time to make him a VERY valuable commodity (HOPE!!!)

MLB007
10-06-2010, 09:46 AM
This looks really bad.

Injured in 2009 and still can't play?

Oh c'mon, if you've been paying any attention it's been obvious that this was going to be a long term process in the best case.

tsm612
10-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Yeh, this is a big win win.
I'm thinking one of them is going to be an excellent 6th man.
Depending on if they think PG's defense could be a difference maker, I'd like to see Mike startign and PG watching and learning the starters for awhile. He can come in against 2nd teams (for awhile) and become a factor much quicker. (maybe)
Mike gets to reestablish his reputation and TRADE VALUE just in time to make him a VERY valuable commodity (HOPE!!!)

I'd love for that to pan out and trade Dunleavy by the deadline for our power forward and let George take over as starter with Rush as the sixth man.

Trader Joe
10-06-2010, 09:58 AM
I think its a great idea to give Lance and George a lot of mins in these preseason games. I expect both players to be very nervous tonight, because after all, it is their first NBA game (whether preseason or not).

Cant wait to watch the game tonight

Game isn't on TV anywhere tonight I thought?

BBQ
10-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Is this game available LPBB only ask about legit sources; see Guidelines

Edit: I should have been more clear. Are there any radio streams from Indy on the internet with the game?

MillerTime
10-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Game isn't on TV anywhere tonight I thought?

ohhh that sucks...I was hoping to catch it on LPBB Only legit sources are allowed to be discussed.

90'sNBARocked
10-06-2010, 10:41 AM
I am not positive but LPBB

I think there referring to NBA League Pass Broad Band , which would be a legitimate paid source

not positive though

MagicRat
10-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Game Notes lists probable starters as:

Collison-Dunleavy-Granger-Posey-Hibbert

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/notes.pdf

No idea how they come up with that, though.

Cactus Jax
10-06-2010, 10:59 AM

Waiting for the Mcbob lovers to vent....

Unclebuck
10-06-2010, 11:15 AM
MR, you didn't really have to post that did you?

MagicRat
10-06-2010, 11:25 AM
:stirthepo

Hicks
10-06-2010, 11:26 AM
I am not positive but LPBB

I think there referring to NBA League Pass Broad Band , which would be a legitimate paid source

not positive though

I edited out the other part they mentioned.

Hicks
10-06-2010, 11:30 AM
If it's like the last year or two, you should (for free) be able to listen to the game on NBA League Pass Audio on nba.com.

90'sNBARocked
10-06-2010, 11:35 AM
If it's like the last year or two, you should (for free) be able to listen to the game on NBA League Pass Audio on nba.com.

I know that used to be the case, but if Im not mistaken they now want you to pay for the "NBA Audio League Pass"

tora tora
10-06-2010, 11:36 AM
So will the game be televised? I don't see it on the Directv schedule.

duke dynamite
10-06-2010, 11:43 AM
I think Paul should start in a few preseason games just to give Danny and/or Mike some rest before the season starts.
Umm, dude. The season hasn't even started. Why do they need rested?

Diamond Dave
10-06-2010, 11:49 AM

Well rested may have been the wrong term. I think he is just saying that he doesn't want Danny logging 38 minutes in meaningless games. Let Paul get those minutes early on. Danny and Mike should play about 20 apiece.

duke dynamite
10-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Well rested may have been the wrong term. I think he is just saying that he doesn't want Danny logging 38 minutes in meaningless games. Let Paul get those minutes early on. Danny and Mike should play about 20 apiece.
When I saw 24 minutes per player I figured it would be in that neighborhood. 38 is a long way off.

Diamond Dave
10-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Nobody should be playing 38 minutes in a preseason game. And nobody will now that Murphy is a Net ;) But I would like to see George around 30 mpg. Darren and Roy need to be out there quite a bit too, since they will be probably be initiators of the offense when they are in. I want lots of combinations of wings getting used to playing with DC and Roy.

CableKC
10-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Waiting for the Mcbob lovers to vent....
Okay......I'll step forward.

A Collison/Dunleavy/Granger/McRoberts/Hibbert Frontcourt with 2 SFs and an actual PF in the lineup makes way more sense to me then have 3 SFs in the lineup.

pathil275
10-06-2010, 12:16 PM
I cannot log in, in fact I don't get to the point of purchasing the ILP. All the site says is "The 2010-11 season is coming soon and League Pass is all new" and it gives an opportunity to enter an email to receive a reminder.

Speed
10-06-2010, 12:29 PM

Sounds right, 3 small forwards, Point and Center.

Sookie
10-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Sounds right, 3 small forwards, Point and Center.

Nah, we need 2 PGs, 2 SGs and a PF :laugh:

duke dynamite
10-06-2010, 12:54 PM
So is this JOB's idea of a lineup to y'all?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8HUvTp8ZcJs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8HUvTp8ZcJs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

count55
10-06-2010, 01:04 PM

At this point in the season, they're literally just guessing. I'm not kidding. They've got a staffer putting in what he thinks will happen. If he's motivated, he'll look at local coverage for a list. If not, he'll just look at the roster and pick 5.

MillerTime
10-06-2010, 01:09 PM

When I saw 24 minutes per player I figured it would be in that neighborhood. 38 is a long way off.

Keeping them well rested is probably the wrong idea. I think the reason players like Granger shouldnt be afforded many mins in preseason is because he has already shown us what he is capable of and we know what we'll get from Granger day in and day out. I also beleive its to be extra caution to prevent injuries in meaningless games.

This is a good chance for our young guys (Lance, George and Rolle) to show us what they have in them and get the rookies nerves out

Will Galen
10-06-2010, 03:48 PM
My wife has vertigo and "overwhelmed" makes some sense to me. If too much is going on and she has to change her attention a lot she tends to whip her head around, which can cause it to start up again.

That's what I've got. Mine was bad for probably the first six months. Mine has gotten a lot better.

I just whipped my head one way then the other, and nothing happened.

naptownmenace
10-06-2010, 04:23 PM

Well considering that they say Mike Dunleavy played for Fresno State, they probably meant to put Paul George in that slot. Either that or the PDF has been doctored by someone with great Photoshop skills. ;)

BornReady
10-06-2010, 04:27 PM

Facepalm I don't understand why JOB wants to play Posey at PF? Nothing in the practice highlight reels suggests to me that he is a PF...

count55
10-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm
The drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

MLB007
10-06-2010, 04:42 PM
I'd love for that to pan out and trade Dunleavy by the deadline for our power forward and let George take over as starter with Rush as the sixth man.

I gotta think that's everyone's ideal scenario.

Trader Joe
10-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Um, so because of some notes, we're just tossing out all the quotes that McBob will be the starter? Nice, I like that logic, very irrational and mob mentality inducing. Let's stir the pot some more!

I hear we're trading HIbby for Murph so that Obie can get his stretch four back, then we're going to start Collison, Dun, Danny, POsey, and Murph and never step within the 3 point line on offense. BOMBS AWAAAAAYYYY!!!

MLB007
10-06-2010, 04:49 PM
That's what I've got. Mine was bad for probably the first six months. Mine has gotten a lot better.

Was that diagnosis from that gypsy lady in the mobile home? :laugh:
Sorry, it just sounds completely "hippy" if you know what mean. :p
What the heck does that really mean?? :confused:

MLB007
10-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Facepalm I don't understand why JOB wants to play Posey at PF? Nothing in the practice highlight reels suggests to me that he is a PF...

I was surprised at how large he looks in the highlight clips.
Looks like a big body to me.
??????

Considering you've got 6'9" Danny at small forward and 6'10" Mike at shooting guard, I don't see that it should make a huge difference. That's a tall team with Roy.

TooBigNdaPaint
10-06-2010, 04:53 PM
I gotta think that's everyone's ideal scenario.

I totally disagree. Dun-Dun will never bring us our DREAM PF because Al Horford (our dream PF) is gonna resign with Atlanta. Therefore, I'm actually hoping Dun-Dun can be signed for much less money when his current expires next year. When healthy, he's too proficient as a scorer and could win tight games for us. If we trade anyone, let's trade Dahntay Jones who's only one dimensional (marginal defender and can't shoot it). If we need to 'sweeten' the deal, throw in Jeff Foster who's also one dimensional or Solo who's taking minutes from Magnum Rolle (who's cat-quick, can run the court like a gazelle, challenges shots at their highest point, and can score in a variety of ways including a very smooth jumper out to 20ft.

TooBigNdaPaint
10-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Keeping them well rested is probably the wrong idea. I think the reason players like Granger shouldnt be afforded many mins in preseason is because he has already shown us what he is capable of and we know what we'll get from Granger day in and day out. I also beleive its to be extra caution to prevent injuries in meaningless games.

This is a good chance for our young guys (Lance, George and Rolle) to show us what they have in them and get the rookies nerves out

I can see where they come up with 24 minutes for our rookies because we also have Brandon (SG), McBob (PF), and AJ (PG) that play the same position as George (SG), Magnum (PF), and Lance (PG) and they need 24 or less minutes as well. And, I haven't even mentioned Danny or Dun-Dun who need a few minutes against elite competition to hone their skillset. Not to mention playing time for our other guys like Solo, Dahntay, and the other Lance.

kester99
10-06-2010, 05:07 PM
I know that used to be the case, but if Im not mistaken they now want you to pay for the "NBA Audio League Pass"

Mistaken....it's free to all-access members, which is just a free registration.

Pacers - Memphis is listed on their schedule.

http://www.nba.com/broadband/alp_schedule.html?registration_url=ALP|09-10|NBA|League|AudioLeaguePass|Main

BillS
10-06-2010, 05:16 PM

Was that diagnosis from that gypsy lady in the mobile home? :laugh:
Sorry, it just sounds completely "hippy" if you know what mean. :p
What the heck does that really mean?? :confused:

Your balance system consists of three "loops" of fluid, roughly parallel to each axis of the head (x, y, z), on each side of the head near the inner ear. Inside those loops are tiny hairs with nerves to sense motion. The way they sense motion is through tiny crystals that move back and forth when that particular loop is moved in the proper direction. Those crystals

In some case (my wife's was a side effect of Ramsey-Hunt Syndrome) the crystals can get moved from one loop to another, sending mixed signals when they move around.

Simplistic but you get the idea. Also look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_disorder#BPPV

TooBigNdaPaint
10-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Regarding tonite's game, if I see BOTH Foster and Dun-Dun out there together starting....I'll puke. I like both of them but we don't need two slow-twitch guys on the court at one time. Foster couldn't handle the banging with Marc Gasol for extended minutes nor can he defend the rim as well as Hibbert or Magnum. Dun-Dun needs to play with an athletic foursome to provide 'help-defense' because the opposing offense will be attacking Dun-Dun on every offensive possession (if their coaching staff has a collective brain). If JOB had to start his veterans, I'd prefer to see Hibbert, McBob, Danny, Brandon (or Dun-Dun), and Collision start the game. But, my real near future starting lineup would be: Hibbert, Magnum, Danny, George, and DC with Dun-Dun or Brandon as our sixth man. Everybody else gets on the court based on situations or matchups or foul trouble.

MLB007
10-06-2010, 05:40 PM
I totally disagree. Dun-Dun will never bring us our DREAM PF because Al Horford (our dream PF) is gonna resign with Atlanta. Therefore, I'm actually hoping Dun-Dun can be signed for much less money when his current expires next year. When healthy, he's too proficient as a scorer and could win tight games for us. If we trade anyone, let's trade Dahntay Jones who's only one dimensional (marginal defender and can't shoot it). If we need to 'sweeten' the deal, throw in Jeff Foster who's also one dimensional or Solo who's taking minutes from Magnum Rolle (who's cat-quick, can run the court like a gazelle, challenges shots at their highest point, and can score in a variety of ways including a very smooth jumper out to 20ft.

How does keeping Dunleavy, Granger, George and Rush make any sense beyond this season? All of those guys are 30 minute guys or better (or close). Maybe Mike as the exception.
There aren't enough minutes and we have other needs.
And Duns has the big contract that's ending.
IF PG blows up like he has the potential. WITH Roy's expanding game, Danny's know qualities, Brandon's continued development (he's looked good on those highlights) AND Darrens added scoring, we just aren't going to need scoring as much as we have the past few years. (IMO)

It's not that I don't like Mike, I DO. And I'd be happy to have him on the team as long as he's playing.
But if he shows he's healthy and shooting and moving well, some team will value him highly.
Both for his scoring and his expiring contract.
Who thought we'd get DC for Murphy? ;)

Who knows, maybe we get a #1 for him, package the 2 #1's to move high into the lottery and get the best 4 coming out of college.
Or one of the annual super duper pg's.
Or a really good center that can play 4 and back up Roy.

We've still got Mike's contract, our #1 and a whole bunch of cash freed up next year.
We'll make a dramatic move somewhere.
Looking at our lineup and age and contracts and everything, it's got to be Mike moving on IMO.
Don't see Dahntay having any real trade value. Certainly not Solo or the rookies other than Paul George. Everyone else is a rotation player and younger and cheaper.

MLB007
10-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Your balance system consists of three "loops" of fluid, roughly parallel to each axis of the head (x, y, z), on each side of the head near the inner ear. Inside those loops are tiny hairs with nerves to sense motion. The way they sense motion is through tiny crystals that move back and forth when that particular loop is moved in the proper direction. Those crystals

In some case (my wife's was a side effect of Ramsey-Hunt Syndrome) the crystals can get moved from one loop to another, sending mixed signals when they move around.

Simplistic but you get the idea. Also look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_disorder#BPPV

That's wild.
Crazy how our bodies really work. :bowdown::bowdown:

cordobes
10-06-2010, 08:14 PM

I think that's probably Posey's best position right now. Depends on the matchups and how much rebounding you'd need from the position, but it should be the position he can defend more effectively on a regular basis + the one where he creates better mismatches offensively.

Posey has played plenty of time as a PF throughout his career. When he played for the Cs he was actually the PF to finish close games, the frontcourt line-up for the decisive moments was Pierce-Posey-Garnett.