PDA

View Full Version : Randy Moss to the Vikings?

pwee31
10-05-2010, 09:34 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5653186

The New England Patriots are in talks to trade wide receiver Randy Moss to the Minnesota Vikings, FoxSports.com reported on Tuesday, citing unnamed sources.

The deal is being held up because Moss would have to sign an extension with the Vikings, according to the report. Contract talks have not even begun, a league source told Profootballtalk.com Tuesday night.

A player source confirmed to ESPN Senior NFL Analyst Chris Mortensen that the teams are talking and are trying to get a deal done.

"I don't know if there have been any discussions, but I can confirm that we haven't traded Randy Moss," Patriots vice president of media relations Stacey James told ESPNBoston.com's Mike Reiss.

The seven-time Pro Bowl receiver is in the final year of his four-year deal with New England and has voiced his displeasure at his limbo status.

"When you have done so much and put so much work in, it kind of feels like I am not wanted," Moss said before the season began on Sept. 6. "I am taking that in stride and playing my final year out and whatever the future holds is what it holds, but it is kind of a bad feeling -- feeling not wanted. It is not like my production has gone down."

A few days later he apologized for the timing of his comments and said he loves playing in New England.

But the Boston Herald, citing an unnamed source, reported on Tuesday that Moss wanted out of New England after a Week 1 win on Sept. 12, telling his agent to ask the Patriots to trade him.

Although the Patriots crushed the Dolphins on Monday night, Moss did not have a catch -- the first time that's happened for him in a New England uniform. The FoxSports.com report did not specify what the Patriots would get for giving up their primary deep threat.

Moss, 33, started his career with the Vikings after being taken in the first round of the 1998 draft. He led the league in touchdown receptions three times for Minnesota before heading to Oakland in 2005.

The Vikings have been looking for help at receiver for quarterback Brett Favre, but they were unable to work out a deal for the Chargers' Vincent Jackson.

Moss has only nine catches for 139 yards and three TDs through four games this season. That comes after hauling in 83 passes for 1,264 yards and 13 touchdowns last season. His career year came in his first with the Pats, when he caught 98 passes for 1,493 yards and 23 TDs.

Slick Pinkham
10-05-2010, 10:33 PM
holy crap... like a poster said in the comments at PFT, if Belichick does this he has balls the size of Jupiter.

It is like the Richard Seymour trade if this goes down, in that they'd get value for a player they expected not to re-sign, but wow... Some reports are that Moss and Belichick had an unpleasant meeting at some point today.

The Patriots already have Oakland's #1 and their own as well as Carolina's #2 and their own.

Geesh... with the short term loss (this year flushed), can another part to the rebuild be worth it? One rumor is a #1 and a #3. That might be hard to pass up, and Minny might be sufficiently desperate, with this being the last shot maybe for Favre.

DrBadd01
10-05-2010, 10:52 PM
It would certainly eliminate the patriots chances this year. Perhaps they go after Vincent Jackson to replace Moss though

Moses
10-06-2010, 04:09 AM
This would be a big blow if Moss was the receiver he was towards the first half of last year, but Moss has either not been trying this year (and the second half of last season) or is having trouble getting separation. I think the former is more likely given Moss's unhappiness regarding his contract. In any instance, neither situation is curable by the Patriots (short of a contract extension) so it is probably best they move on. Belichick has probably seen Moss take enough plays off over the past 10-11 games to realize that he didn't want him around anymore over guys who wanted to be there.

Was fun watching Brady and Moss play together while it lasted. Will be interesting to see if Brandon Tate can fill the void this year. I don't think it is likely. Moss playing at 75% is better than any WR the Pats have on the roster at the flanker position. My guess is that you'll see the Patriots go back towards their old dink and dunk passing attack down the field with the occasional deep shot to Tate/Price. With all that said, I don't think the Patriots have a good shot at winning a SB this year (they didn't even with Moss). The defense is too young and NE lacks a good ground game. Wouldn't want to play them in the playoffs though if their defense keeps improving from week to week. Could be an elite unit down the road.

makaveli
10-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Peter King just tweeted that the deal was done. Moss to Vikings for a 3rd round pick. I'd post the link but I'm on my iPad and that proves difficult. Either way I guess we can safely say the Pats are officially rebuilding.

Slick Pinkham
10-06-2010, 08:09 AM
3rd round pick seems low return, given Minnesota's needs. They could have milked it for more

Trader Joe
10-06-2010, 08:46 AM
ROFL @ Moss going back to Minnesota

Basketball Fan
10-06-2010, 10:47 AM
I wonder how Daunte Culpepper is reacting to this one. out of morbid curiosity

That being said this is a good move for the Pats because really I barely noticed Moss existed for the last half of last season and the first four games.

The Vikings still won't win an SB though but I respect they're taking the risk to go all in.

SoupIsGood
10-06-2010, 10:52 AM
A pretty savvy move by the Pats if true, though I think they bit too early if all they're getting in return is a third. Minny's desperate, I think they would've eventually given up a 1st. Either way, great thinking. Sign Moss, get all you were probably ever going to get out of him, and sell high before his value is completely shot. Nice.

travmil
10-06-2010, 11:28 AM
No this is about what New England could have expected for Moss I think. No way Minny would have given a first for a player that isn't guaranteed to be there past this season. As far as New England goes, how do they keep getting teams to give them high draft picks (yes, a third is pretty high in the NFL) for players they are throwing on the scrap heap? Moss wasn't helping them now, and he wasn't going to be there after this season anyway. Getting a third for him is an awesome deal for the Pats. Pats rebuilding? More like reloading. Again.

Mr_Smith
10-06-2010, 11:34 AM
This makes the Patriots lesser of an offensive threat. The defensive focus is gonna shift to all the dink and dunk passes to Welker.

Slick Pinkham
10-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Dink and dunk worked from 2001 through 2006, with receiving corps worse than what is left over after Moss leaves. The "just move the chains" strategy also keeps the D off the field.

The Patriots have at least 13 starters in their first 3 years in the league, with several more key reserves. I believe I heard it is the highest number of 1st -3rd year starters of any non-expansion team in history. Arguments that they squandered these draft picks by trading down are a little shaky.

The young-uns are:

starting WRs (now, after Moss)= 2nd year guys Tate & Edelman, plus vet Welker. Tate was a far better prospect then college teammate Hakeem Nicks, put hurt his knee and dropped to the 3rd round. Leading NCAA in return yards. After a "redshirt" rookie year, it's his time to shine. Edelman is elusive with good hands, a faster Welker.

Rookie TEs Gronkowski and/or Hernandez start. I'll just count 1 of them, because when they are both in there it is usally a 2 WR set. Hernandez as a rookie is near the tops in the NFL for tight ends as receivers. Not just among rookies, mind you, near the top among all TEs.

starting RB is Green-Ellis, in his 3rd year, granted, he got that spot by injury.

starting safeties are Chung (2nd year- think Rodney Harrison with much more speed), and Meriweather (3rd year, pro-bowler)

starting ILBs are Mayo (3rd year, future pro bowler, rookie of the year), Spikes (rookie, who knows)

starting corners are McCourty (rookie), Arrington (2nd year); with the 3rd corner and expected eventual starter being 2nd year guy Darius Butler

Rookie Cunningham just made his first start at OLB.

2nd year man Brace starts at DE and has been very solid.

2nd year OT Vollmer is a fixure at right OT and makes pro-bowler Light expendable after his contract expires this year.

so 13, counting Green-Ellis, counting Cunningham who may not stick as a starter, but not counting Butler (even though he will play in all nickel packages and 80% osf snaps vs. passing teams) and not counting both of the tight ends, even though they both play a lot and 2 TE sets are becomign the norm. Then you have other key contributors like a rookie punter, a second-year long-snapper, many backup D-linemen including part-time starter McKenzie. It may be impossible to win big with so much youth in so many key spots, but nobody has ever done so much rebuilding while never dipping below 11 wins.

Get your popcorn. It will be interesting

Slick Pinkham
10-06-2010, 12:42 PM
crazy tidbits that make you say Hmmmm....

Moss had nine receptions total for the Patriots in the first four games of this season.

He caught at least ten passes in a single game twice in his first four games last year.

The last 4 games are his low for any 4 game stretch of his career, in terms of catches and yardage.

Slick Pinkham
10-06-2010, 01:27 PM
news:

The Moss trade was precipitated by an outburst at halftime of the Dolphins game Monday night, where Moss had a very heated exchange in the locker room with the QB coach and acting offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien over how he was being used in the game.

http://twitter.com/mikereiss

Moses
10-06-2010, 04:18 PM
news:

The Moss trade was precipitated by an outburst at halftime of the Dolphins game Monday night, where Moss had a very heated exchange in the locker room with the QB coach and acting offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien over how he was being used in the game.

http://twitter.com/mikereiss
We shouldn't really be surprised. Moss has a history of doing this with every single team he has ever played for. I can't fault the Patriots for scheming him out of the gameplan though. If you watch the tape on Moss over the past 10 games, you'll see he just isn't getting separation and is taking some plays off. During halftime of the game though, the Pats were still losing and I think Moss just wanted to get the offense rolling again so it isn't like he was complaining about targets when they were up by 3 TDs.

I can't really fault Moss for being upset about his contract situation though. He is looking for his last good contract before he retires. If he ended up getting hurt while playing for the Pats this year (ACL tear, etc) his career would have likely been over and he would have been out millions of dollars. I wish him the best in Minnesota. Hopefully he gets one more good contract before he's done and can play with peace of mind again.

travmil
10-07-2010, 11:05 PM
You watch. The Pats are going to flip this pick and end up with Vincent Jackson.

Basketball Fan
10-07-2010, 11:27 PM
You watch. The Pats are going to flip this pick and end up with Vincent Jackson.

Why trade one malcontent just to obtain another? Even Randy Moss was able to stay out of legal trouble for a long period of time.

VJ is incapable of that.

travmil
10-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Because he's head and shoulders better than every other available wideout, the Pats need to replace the deep threat that Moss provided, and it's a low risk high reward move. If it works out you extend his contract, if it doesn't you cut him and all it cost you is a pick that you didn't start the season with.

travmil
10-07-2010, 11:45 PM
I also hope it happens to solidify my track record of correctly calling the Colts taking Gonzo in the first round a few years back, and LT ending up with the Jets. If this one happened too I'd have to go buy a lotto ticket.

Basketball Fan
10-08-2010, 01:28 AM
Because he's head and shoulders better than every other available wideout, the Pats need to replace the deep threat that Moss provided, and it's a low risk high reward move. If it works out you extend his contract, if it doesn't you cut him and all it cost you is a pick that you didn't start the season with.

I'm sure he is but he's not talented enough for the Pats to overlook his off field flaws. Now if he's cheap enough sure..

But can he stay out of trouble?

Doubt it.

Cactus Jax
10-10-2010, 05:38 PM
From: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5670760

"That may not have been the only altercation involving Moss and a member of the Patriots in the final days of his time with New England. Moss and QB Tom Brady had to be separated after a confrontation during the week leading up to the Dolphins game, according to a CBS Sports report. Brady reportedly had become upset with the way Moss was behaving, and at one point told the receiver to shave his beard.

"Moss countered, you need to get your hair cut. You look like a girl," according to the CBS Sports report. Brady has grown out his hair this year, saying his wife, supermodel Gisele Bundchen, likes it long."

I happen to agree with Moss in this disagreement, Brady does look like a girl.

Basketball Fan
10-10-2010, 06:31 PM
If that was truly the reason he got traded

I don't blame Randy one bit...

Slick Pinkham
10-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Peter King cites two sources that swear that this report is a lie

Sollozzo
10-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Peter King cites two sources that swear that this report is a lie

Yeah that story just sounds very made-up to me.

Trader Joe
10-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Brady does look ridiculous with his current hair cut though.

travmil
10-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Brady does look ridiculous with his current hair cut though.

Not as ridiculous as this though. At least he had the courtesy to cover up his girl hair while carrying his man purse.

http://angrywhitedude.com/wp-content/uploads2/2010/07/tom-brady-man-purse.jpg