PDA

View Full Version : Cavs approached Larry Bird about coaching Cleveland.

luis3ep
10-05-2010, 01:07 PM
via Marc Stein

ESPN.com sources: Before hiring Byron Scott, who makes CLE coaching debut tonight, Cavs reached out to Indy's Larry Bird http://es.pn/c35Jiq

Smart decision, Bird.

90'sNBARocked
10-05-2010, 01:14 PM
via Marc Stein

Smart decision, Bird.

Notice they didnt say "reached out to Jim O'Brien"

Even the cavs know O 'Brien sux

Trophy
10-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I doubt any president/GM would give up their position with a team that's probably on their way to the playoffs and coach a team that's probably gonna finish last.

Justin Tyme
10-05-2010, 02:19 PM
LOL!! Bird is never going to coach again unless he's forced to by ownership, and I highly doubt he would then.

duke dynamite
10-05-2010, 02:24 PM

Why would they reach out to a coach currently under contract?

MillerTime
10-05-2010, 02:26 PM

...probably the same reason they would reach out to a Team President (Bird) that is currently under contract

duke dynamite
10-05-2010, 02:28 PM
...probably the same reason they would reach out to a Team President (Bird) that is currently under contract
I'm sure if Larry wanted it he'd step down.

90'sNBARocked
10-05-2010, 02:41 PM

Same reason they reached out to Bird, who was under contract

duke dynamite
10-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Same reason they reached out to Bird, who was under contract
Again, it'd be easier for Bird to step down.

Unclebuck
10-05-2010, 03:04 PM

Two points:

do you really think if the cavs didn't reach out to JOB that proves how much they think O'Brien sux. OK, so therefore any and every coach the cavs didn't reach out to must sux also. Larry brown, Phil jackson, Sloan, Popovich, Skiles. Wonder if they reached out to any of them. (can a team reach out to another head coach for their current open coaching position?)

Beyond that, I will just say it gets very tiring

MillerTime
10-05-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm sure if Larry wanted it he'd step down.

I know what you mean....im just trying to be a smart a$$

docpaul
10-05-2010, 03:43 PM
More details:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5651272

Byron Scott will coach the Cleveland Cavaliers formally for the first time Tuesday night when the Cavs launch the post-LeBron era with an exhibition game at home against Charlotte.

Scott, however, was not the only prominent alumnus of the storied Lakers-Celtics rivalry of the 1980s whom the Cavaliers approached. They also reached out to Larry Bird, ESPN.com has learned.

The Cavs' unsuccessful run at Michigan State's Tom Izzo -- at the behest of Cavs owner and Michigan State alumnus Dan Gilbert -- has been well-chronicled. At the same time, though, they also scoured the coaching map in search of players-turned-coaches of the highest stature to impress LeBron James, hoping that kind of hire could boost their chances of keeping him in free agency.

Sources close to the situation have confirmed that, before naming Scott as their new coach July 2, Cleveland officials thus contacted Bird to see if they could convince the Indiana Pacers' team president to consider returning to coaching.

Bird did take the call, sources said, but quickly informed the Cavs that he had no interest in coaching again. Sources said Bird, 53, let Cleveland know that he wants to continue in his front-office work with the Pacers and that he has all but ruled out coaching again because of health and family reasons.

The Cavaliers are known to have drawn up a long list of candidates when they brainstormed for possible replacements for Mike Brown. In an offseason interview with the News-Herald newspaper in northern Ohio, Cavs general manager Chris Grant declined to offer specifics beyond saying that he spoke to "less than 10" prospective coaches.

Bird has earned lukewarm reviews as the Pacers' top decision-maker since the departure of Donnie Walsh to the New York Knicks in April 2008. But he was wildly successful as Indiana's coach from 1997-98 to 1999-2000, posting a record of 147-67 and achieving a level of respect among players that explains Cleveland's interest, given that James had made it known in the wake of Brown's departure that having a successful ex-player in charge was important to him.

Flanked by two well-regarded assistants to offset his lack of experience -- current Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle and defensive guru Dick Harter -- Bird was in charge for Indiana's run to the NBA Finals in 2000. Then he abruptly left the bench, living up to his vow to coach for only three seasons.

Bird remains the only figure in league history to win the league's MVP and coach of the year awards and was routinely lauded by key players such as Reggie Miller and Mark Jackson for his sideline demeanor and influence.

It appears, however, that the Cavs' conversations with Bird never got far enough to describe him as a full-fledged candidate to replace Brown. Scott, by contrast, was one of the first candidates Cleveland targeted and interviewed and commanded support within the Cavaliers' organization throughout the search process and the drawn-out pursuit of Izzo.

MillerTime
10-05-2010, 03:47 PM
I just had a read of the article...I particularily noticed:

Bird remains the only figure in league history to win the league's MVP and coach of the year awards and was routinely lauded by key players such as Reggie Miller and Mark Jackson for his sideline demeanor and influence.

and

Sources said Bird, 53, let Cleveland know that he wants to continue in his front-office work with the Pacers and that he has all but ruled out coaching again because of health and family reasons.

d_c
10-05-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't think Bird is going to coach again for anyone, much less a team that is rebuilding.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Bird always had an issue with a bad back at the end of his playing days and even a coaching job is tough on him due to this.

Being 6'9" with a bad back and constantly having to fly on a plane multiple times a week takes a physical toll on you. I think it's one of the reasons why his coaching sting was so brief despite having a lot of success.

Unclebuck
10-05-2010, 04:01 PM
I don't think Bird is going to coach again for anyone, much less a team that is rebuilding.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Bird always had an issue with a bad back at the end of his playing days and even a coaching job is tough on him due to this.

Being 6'9" with a bad back and constantly having to fly on a plane multiple times a week takes a physical toll on you. I think it's one of the reasons why his coaching sting was so brief despite having a lot of success.

also has a heart condition

Justin Tyme
10-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Doesn't a team have to get permission from another team in order to talk to their coach or FO personel?? If this is correct, then that permission would have to have been granted by ownership/Herb Simon.

Unclebuck
10-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Doesn't a team have to get permission from another team in order to talk to their coach or FO personel?? If this is correct, then that permission would have to have been granted by ownership/Herb Simon.

Yeah, but it has to do with whether it is a "promotion" or not. I think an assistant coach can be contacted about a head coaching position, where as a head coach cannot be contacted about a head coaching position.