PDA

View Full Version : Rookies to wear princess backpacks

Psyren
10-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Mike Wells
Indianapolis Star
http://www.indystar.com/article/20101004/SPORTS04/10040316/1062/SPORTS04?source=rss_teams_Indiana_Pacers

The Indiana Pacers had an injury-free first week of training camp.

But fans might want to place an asterisk next to Tyler Hansbrough's name. He practiced, but it came with limitations.

The vertigo-plagued power forward did not take part in the daily five-on-five scrimmages.

Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said Hansbrough falls further behind the longer he's held out of scrimmages. He hopes the second-year forward's limitations will be lifted this week.

"He was behind coming in because he didn't have a training camp last year, then he missed most of the season, and the more times he misses five-on-five, the further behind he gets," O'Brien said. "There's no way of sugar-coating it. He'll start to catch up once he's able to go in every drill we do."

A shin injury sidelined Hansbrough in training camp last year. He was limited to just 29 games last season because of vertigo.

With Hansbrough's relative inaction, Josh McRoberts has taken a big lead for the starting spot.

The Pacers have three preseason games this week -- at Memphis on Wednesday, home against Orlando on Friday and at Houston on Saturday.
Rookie initiation

The Pacers' three rookies will be sporting a new look starting this week that will last all season.

The look will definitely draw attention.

Paul George, Magnum Rolle and Lance Stephenson will carry pink Disney "Princess" backpacks with them, including on the team plane and at the arena on the road, for the rest of the season as part of their NBA initiation.

"That's just what the rookies have to do," Stephenson said. "We have to live up to it and make sure we follow through with it."

The rookies can thank Roy Hibbert for the gifts.

Hibbert, who took over the initiation duties from veteran Jeff Foster, posted a Twitter message telling fans to let him know if they see any of the rookies not carrying his backpack around the city.

"If they don't carry their bags, they might get a bucket of ice thrown on them in the shower or get their stuff duct taped when they least expect it," Hibbert said. "We're not going to go to the extreme and make them wash cars or anything like that."

George is taking the initiation in stride.

"I might as well have fun with it," he said. "I might throw a Nike sign on it just to make it official. You won't catch me in (anything else) pink. The backpack is as far as it goes. I'm excited for it."
Good Ole' Roy picking on the rooks :p

If this has been posted somewhere, feel free to delete. It may be hidden somewhere in a thread never to be seen again.

Shade
10-04-2010, 10:10 PM
That is good stuff. Gotta love Roy. :laugh:

pizza guy
10-04-2010, 10:17 PM
That's awesome!

jeffg-body
10-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Heck, I have to do this all of the time anyway with my two girls not wanting or not able to carry their backpacks from school.