PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Blair down to 8% body fat?!?

flox
10-04-2010, 04:58 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/spurs_blair_shows_off_new_moves_104254499.html?sho wFullArticle=y

Moving away from the basket also meant adding quickness, which meant shedding fat. After spending much of the summer at the mercy of the Spurs' strength staff, Blair reported to camp last week with 8 percent body fat, down from 15 percent at the start of last season.

At 6-foot-7, Blair still weighs 265 pounds, same as last year, but it's mostly muscle.

I uh..am speechless. He's putting in Roy Hibbert level of work.

pacersgroningen
10-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Does this influence his so-called expected knee problems? Maybe he'll be able to play a few more seasons in the league?

ChristianDudley
10-04-2010, 05:35 PM
idk how he did it with his horrible knees...with no ACLs nonetheless. Good for thim, though.

pacers_heath
10-04-2010, 05:44 PM
I honestly don't even think it's possible to do that. If you're a regular lifter it's very hard to put on muscle while losing fat, especially staying the same weight. This is either exaggerated or he was on some kind of hormone enhancer (dont know what they test for in the NBA).

CableKC
10-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Great....another topic about DeJuan Blair.....cue Seth.

judicata
10-04-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm glad he's getting in shape, but if he hasn't lost any weight it isn't going to help his knee problem. Granted, he looked a bit chubby as the season progressed last year, so it was needed regardless.

If he can just find a way to grow 5 inches and a pair of ACLs...

BlueNGold
10-04-2010, 07:41 PM
The weight redistribution has little to do with the health of his knees. I would say more upper body weight (a higher center of gravity) might actually put more stress/torque on the knees...;<)

odeez
10-04-2010, 07:42 PM
thin is in!

SycamoreKen
10-04-2010, 09:08 PM
He doesn't have problems with his knees, he just doesn't have ACLs. He did not lose time last year to knee pain. Foul trouble yes, knee pain no.

BringJackBack
10-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Dejuan Blair would be a perfect four for us this year. He would average double digit boards, 10-12 points, and would bring that fire and intensity that Roy Hibbert brings to the game.

Dejuan and Roy seem to have similar personalities as well.

pacer4ever
10-04-2010, 11:29 PM
i wanted him over T but they though is knees were bad lol

MLB007
10-04-2010, 11:52 PM
The weight redistribution has little to do with the health of his knees. I would say more upper body weight (a higher center of gravity) might actually put more stress/torque on the knees...;<)

strengthening the muscles supporting the joint can often effectively replace the function of cartilage and ligaments.
It's what I did when I tore my acl and didn't have it surgically fixed. And when I tore my rotator cuff (shoulder).
The problem is that now with increased strength and explosion, he's going to put more stress on those knees.

focused444
10-05-2010, 12:14 AM
strengthening the muscles supporting the joint can often effectively replace the function of cartilage and ligaments.
It's what I did when I tore my acl and didn't have it surgically fixed. And when I tore my rotator cuff (shoulder).
The problem is that now with increased strength and explosion, he's going to put more stress on those knees.

I get uneasy feeling when any athlete in any sport undergoes a transformation. Granted it's mostly players bulking up which concerns me the most. I know the Spurs know what they're doing with him. I just hate messing with what works. His career is going to be fun to watch. It would be a nice story if has a long, healthy career.

judicata
10-05-2010, 01:49 AM
Dejuan Blair would be a perfect four for us this year. He would average double digit boards, 10-12 points, and would bring that fire and intensity that Roy Hibbert brings to the game.

Dejuan and Roy seem to have similar personalities as well.

He's great for boards and pounding in the paint, but he is a turnstile on defense. Blair next to Hibbert might be the slowest frontcourt in the league.

CooperManning
10-05-2010, 02:03 AM
In case anyone else was as curious about the no ACL thing as I was, this explains it pretty well:

http://www.slate.com/id/2234460/

By Juliet Lapidos

SpursRookie forward DeJuan Blair began his professional basketball career with the San Antonio Spurs last week and has so far averaged a very respectable 8.3 points and 8.3 rebounds per game. The former University of Pittsburgh star was initially projected as a high pick in the 2009 NBA draft, but he slid to the second round after a physical revealed something unsettling: The player has no anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in either knee—the result of two high school surgeries. How can Blair play at a professional level without an ACL to call his own?

With his fingers crossed. When an athlete (or anyone, for that matter) lands after a jump, the force of that impact moves up the leg to the knee. This force is dissipated or opposed by muscles, tendons, cartilage, and ligaments like the ACL, which connects the femur (thigh bone) to the tibia (shin bone) and helps keep the knee stable by limiting twisting motions. Since Blair lacks ACLs, his quadriceps and hamstring muscles, and the remaining soft tissues in his knee, will need to pick up the slack, as it were, straining harder to stabilize and absorb shocks. So long as his quads and hams remain strong, it's possible for Blair to play.

During his high-school surgeries, Blair's doctors did not purposefully remove his ACLs—the going theory is that they tried to repair some partial damage to the ligaments and failed. Then, over time, Blair's ACLs deteriorated to the point of disappearance. Since this was a gradual change, his muscles and other ligaments could have adapted slowly to the added strain. Without such an adjustment period—if his doctors had simply cut out the ligaments, for example—it's likely he would have injured himself on the court quite rapidly. Blair is now thought to face a higher risk of damaging his knees (especially his meniscus) than athletes with repaired ACLs—and he may end up with osteoarthritis.
Advertisement

Another athlete with Blair's deficiency wouldn't necessarily be capable of operating at such a high level. It's possible that Blair, without consciously intending to do so, has found a way to jump and land that's less harsh on his knees. Or that his other ligaments are particularly resilient. Anatomy may also have something to do with his success. Knock-kneed types are more dependent on their ACLs than the bow-legged.

Blair is not the first professional athlete to play with a missing ACL. In 2008, San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers blew out his right knee but played with a completely nonfunctional ACL in a conference championship game against the New England Patriots. The Chargers lost, and Rivers underwent an extensive reconstructive operation. Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward is missing the ACL in his left knee—the result of a bike accident during childhood. Like Blair, he didn't realize the deficiency until he left college to go professional.

focused444
10-05-2010, 02:19 AM
Didn't someone post here on PD (around the 2009 draft) that if Blair were to suffer a knee injury it would be (or at least it's more susceptible of it being) a catastrophic injury like Shaun Livingston's? Is that true?

Putnam
10-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Everyone ought to read the CooperManning post above. It explains about ACLs very well.

Those ligaments don't make a knee stronger or more comfortable. Not at all. The strength all comes from the muscles, and the comfort all comes from the menisci. the role of ligaments is to prevent hyperextension, such as a horrendous Shawn Livingston sort of injury.

DeJuan Blair's career can end immediately the next time he lands funny. But in the meantime, having no ACLs doesn't inhibit him at all.

bphil
10-05-2010, 10:16 AM
I'll still take my chances with McBobs.

MLB007
10-05-2010, 10:22 AM
It's not a situation where a catastrophic blowout is any more likely than anyone else.
it's much more that there is a "looseness" in the joint as it moves. The muscles help stabilize the joint so that it's not going to pop out place or anything like that.
But because it's not as securely "tied together" with natures intended method any longer, that little bit of looseness that allows a little bit of movement will over time wear away bone and soft tissue until the looseness becomes greater and greater as the "tolerances" become larger.
i would almost guarantee that he is dealing with pain on a regular basis. The fact that he hasn't missed time doesn't mean it doesn't affect him.
As for the arthritis, I would guess that was an absolute for him. It's highly likely for most basketball players from my understanding.

BlueNGold
11-19-2010, 11:16 PM
I tend to wonder if the lighter version of Blair is more effective. What happened to his numbers vs. Mr. Hans?

Blair
35% FG%
5.9 ppg
7.6 rpg
22 mpg

Hans
59% FG%
8.4 ppg
4.6 rpg
17 mpg

Sparhawk
11-20-2010, 05:42 PM
I tend to wonder if the lighter version of Blair is more effective. What happened to his numbers vs. Mr. Hans?

Blair
35% FG%
5.9 ppg
7.6 rpg
22 mpg

Hans
59% FG%
8.4 ppg
4.6 rpg
17 mpg

I think the bright side is that Blair is playing 22 minutes a game.

BringJackBack
11-20-2010, 05:50 PM

Blair
35% FG%
5.9 ppg
7.6 rpg
22 mpg

Hans
59% FG%
8.4 ppg
4.6 rpg
17 mpg

Is he still starting?? If he is than the problem is probably him playing against starters limiting his affectiveness and it shows his weaknesses: height, below the rim play, and defense.

imawhat
11-20-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm still surprised by that report. He looks heavier this year, and I don't mean muscle.

BlueNGold
11-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Blair's greatest strength is his ability to get and maintain position in the paint...and maintain balance. He is able to do this because he has a very low center of gravity for an NBA player...and he also has a wide body.

Whether or not he's performing worse than last year, losing weight and raising his center of gravity hurts him in some ways. He's not going to be jumping over anyone...and he's not long enough to shoot over anyone consistently. He needs to bang and play with force. With less weight, he may be healthier, but I doubt it improves his effectiveness. The same is not true for most players.