PDA

View Full Version : Horford and Atlanta negotiating extension

tsm612
10-04-2010, 07:42 AM
http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2010/10/03/atlanta-hawks-al-horford-welcomes-long-stay-in-atlanta-as-extension-negotiations-open/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

Atlanta Hawks: Al Horford welcomes long stay in Atlanta as extension negotiations begin

3:40 pm October 3, 2010, by Michael Cunningham

Over the next few weeks the Hawks and Al Horford’s agent, Arn Tellem, will work on the terms of a contract extension beyond 2010-11 for Atlanta’s All-Star center.

That’s the money side of the equation, and Horford said negotiations are in the early stages. After considering the other factors that play into his decision, Horford said he would like to stay in Atlanta for the long term.

“How do you see yourself with the team?” Horford said about his thought process. “Do you think the team is going the right way? Obviously, you have to factor in do you like the city you are in, [do you] get along with the guys [teammates]?

“All those things favor me because I feel like we are in a good position. We’ve been playing together. This is my fourth year with the team, and I love the city of Atlanta. So I am just waiting to see what happens with this whole thing.”

Horford is set to make $5.4 million in 2010-11, the final year of his rookie-scale contract. The Hawks have until Nov. 1 to come to terms with Horford on an extension that starts in 2011-12 and can be for up to five years and about $82 million under current CBA rules.

If the sides don’t reach an agreement by then, Horford would become a restricted free agent next summer if the Hawks extend a one-year, $7.1 million qualifying offer by June 30. The Hawks would then retain the right to match any offer sheets signed by Horford.

Hawks GM Rick Sund, citing his policy of not speaking publicly about players’ contracts, declined to comment on negotiations with Horford.

Horford, 24, was the No. 3 overall selection as an early-entrant prospect out of Florida in the 2007 draft. Eastern Conference coaches voted him to his first All-Star team last season and new Hawks coach Larry Drew recently named Horford as a tri-captain along with Joe Johnson and Josh Smith.

This summer Horford, who is undersized by NBA center standards at 6-10 and 245 pounds, said the Hawks needed to add an “impact” center to be a contender in the East. The Hawks ended up signing free agent centers Jason Collins and Etan Thomas to veteran’s minimum contracts.

But Horford said he’s looking forward to Drew’s plan of playing him at power forward alongside Zaza Pachulia, Collins or Thomas.

“I think with Coach Drew’s new mindset, he plans to play me more at the four, which is encouraging to me,” Horford said. “I am happy about that. Obviously I still would like to play center, but if I can spend more time at the four, that would be great.”

Will Galen
10-04-2010, 08:25 AM
I know a lot of posters on here would like Horford to become a restricted free agent so the Pacers would have a chance at him, but him being a big, I never thought he would become unrestricted. Still don't think so.

d_c
10-04-2010, 09:22 AM
I know a lot of posters on here would like Horford to become a restricted free agent so the Pacers would have a chance at him, but him being a big, I never thought he would become unrestricted. Still don't think so.

Only way to get him is hope their negotiations break down. Then next year you offer him a MAX or near MAX deal. Sign him to a reasonable contract and all Atlanta does is send you a gift basket for doing the tough negotiating work for them and then they match the offer.

But I think count55 had a pretty good post saying that giving him a MAX deal is pretty asinine. Noah at $60M is a better deal than Horford at the MAX/near MAX.

MillerTime
10-04-2010, 09:31 AM
The only way the Pacers have any chance at Horford would be to overpay him. Theres no way that ATL will NOT match a reasonable offer

MyFavMartin
10-04-2010, 10:08 AM
If Horford is smart, he gets this extension done at a very good price before next year's CBA, which wil likely put in caps and restrictions...

I'd love Horford, but I would think a near max deal will complicate our salary structure down the road when it's time to extend Roy, Brandon, Tyler, etc...

It'd also be nice to know whether Tyler and Mac will be able to bring close to what Al does on the court. Guess we'll know come season end.

IndyPacer
10-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Horford was never actually a realistic option for Indiana. Unrestricted? It's possible. Restricted? No way, and even if you lure him in with a max deal, this creates problems re-signing guys like Hibbert, who we definitely want to keep. Indiana should concentrate their efforts on making each draft pick count (loved last draft; keep up the good work!), re-signing key veterans for reasonable deals (such as Granger's contract), and keeping active yet cautious and patient regarding trades (always looking, but wait for the right deal; see Collison).

pwee31
10-04-2010, 11:18 AM
I think Jeff Green is the guy to target with the style we play. Of course if J'Ob is gone.. that could change