PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Biggest Rival

PacersPride
10-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Who is the pacers biggest rival that you as a fan despise the most? I know the Lakers and Celtics are not the Pacers traditional rivals but most fans despise those teams for one reason or another so I felt it necessary to add them.

Brad8888
10-03-2010, 02:43 PM
For me, the last rivalry the Pacers really had was the Pistons, and that is definitely not the case anymore as both franchises continue to struggle.

Until the Pacers come around and are competitive and meaningful games occur that have playoff implications for the Pacers, it will be difficult for me to consider any team to be a rival of the Pacers.

PacersPride
10-03-2010, 03:04 PM
For me, the last rivalry the Pacers really had was the Pistons, and that is definitely not the case anymore as both franchises continue to struggle.

Until the Pacers come around and are competitive and meaningful games occur that have playoff implications for the Pacers, it will be difficult for me to consider any team to be a rival of the Pacers.

I disagree, the pistons are cemented as our biggest rival always imo. regardless of how good or bad they are i always want to see the pacers beat their a**. the brawl left a permanent scar if you ask me. the classless piston fanbase stole a championship from the blue & gold and Reggie that season; it was awful that a player like Reggie ended his career in that manner.

your statement though does apply in regard to the knicks, with them it was a Reggie vs Knicks rivarly. The pis*ons are in the central and that is another reason to dislike them as well.

i love rivalries! makes a fan even more passionate about his team. if i had to guess i think the bulls are gonna be our next rival, b/c if we become competitive, they will be the team to beat in the central. also, we had a rivalry with them during the Jordan/Miller era.

with the celts, i was originally a fan b/c of bird. however, these days i root against them in everyway, primarily due to the fact that many of their fans are cheatriot fans and i do not want to see them have any joy whatsover when it comes to their professional sports teams. besides Bird is a pacer now imo. I even rooted for the despicable laker organization in the finals to beat the celts. ha.

all in all though, the rivalry with the pis*ons will transcend all eras whether the pacers are good or not. we had one helluva rivalry going with them and from that regard it was disspointing to see that specific core group of pacers (JO, Artest, Jack-hole, Tins) get broken up.

The pistons rivalry will continue, maybe not as fervently as it once was, but underneath the contempt for the team just north remains.

The best rivalry of all time though was the Pacers vs Knicks which lasted almost 5 years and those teams beat the snot out of one another.

gotta love rivalries!

xBulletproof
10-03-2010, 03:14 PM
None. You have to be winning, or at least in the playoffs to deserve having a "rival".

Robertmto
10-03-2010, 03:15 PM
a team has to be competitive to have a rival.....

focused444
10-03-2010, 03:23 PM
I would love to see a Pacers Knicks rivalry like the 90s again, but I would be lying to myself to say this is a rivalry right now. I know what a rivalry looks/feels like, and I just don't see one now. That being said I don't think it would take much to ignite a sleeping rivalry like NY or DET.

Lord Helmet
10-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Eh, even though we suck, we can still have rivals. It's not like we've always been terrible.

We used to be rivals with the Knicks, but most recently, it's the Pistons.

Bengals and Browns are rivals. They both blow ***. Eh.

Since the Pacers are god-awful, maybe our rivals now should be the Mad Ants?

Robertmto
10-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Eh, even though we suck, we can still have rivals. It's not like we've always been terrible.

We used to be rivals with the Knicks, but most recently, it's the Pistons.

Bengals and Browns are rivals. They both blow ***. Eh.

Since the Pacers are god-awful, maybe our rivals now should be the Mad Ants?

inner-state teams have to be rivals....and i think Mad Ants would be a blowout....maybe the Indy Drive is more of a challenge for the Pacers

Lord Helmet
10-03-2010, 03:29 PM
inner-state teams have to be rivals....and i think Mad Ants would be a blowout....maybe the Indy Drive is more of a challenge for the Pacers
Eh, maybe I should have just said divisions.

Mad Ants would destroy the Pacers.

Los Angeles
10-03-2010, 04:04 PM
The Lakers.

Because I hate them with every fiber of my being.

redfoster
10-03-2010, 05:03 PM
I picked the Pistons because they were definitely our most recent rival and I still hate them the most.

HeliumFear
10-03-2010, 05:26 PM
It's the Knicks. I will always despise the Knicks.

ChristianDudley
10-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Over the whole existence of the Pacers franchise, I would say it would be the Knicks. The most current rivalry, I would say the Pistons. It's about time for a new rivalry, and with our bright future, it is probably coming sooner and later now.

focused444
10-03-2010, 05:36 PM

I've been thinking about this for a minute, and I do believe it is possible for teams to have "bad blood" regardless of their records. So it leaves me wondering is there a difference between "bad blood" and rivalries? Does bad blood fully develop into a rivalry in the post season?

focused444
10-03-2010, 05:48 PM
It's the Knicks. I will always despise the Knicks.

Haha this is the way I feel for the most part.

To go a little further I think age is a huge factor in this. I was 13-15 years old when Reggie had some of the most memorable performances I've ever seen. So if you ask me to name the first team that comes to mind when I think Pacers rival, the immediate response will be the Knicks. Imagine you were born in 1990. You would be 4 when the when these rivalries were occurring. The same hypothetical person born in 1990 would probably relate to the Pistons as the main rival, because they were 13-15 when they were occurring. So it relative to the age of the fan to some degree. I feel lucky to be at the right age to see the Pacers Knicks battles. They had more ferocity than the Pacers/Pistons.

Who was the biggest rival to the Pacers before the 90s clashes with the Knicks? Can some one break down a rivalry history since the beginning of the franchise?

Lance George
10-03-2010, 05:59 PM
I could see us developing a rivalry with Milwaukee in the not-too-distant future. Maybe even Chicago if some of our young guys are as good as hoped.

BlueNGold
10-03-2010, 06:25 PM
IMPD?

redfoster
10-03-2010, 06:38 PM
IMPD?
You're right, I guess they would technically be our most recent rival.

Hicks
10-03-2010, 08:28 PM
These losing seasons have snuffed out my personal fire with regards to "hating" other teams. Years ago, I would have said Lakers, Pistons, and Knicks, but I don't care about any of them anymore. I want to beat everybody; especially whoever the best teams are each year.

vnzla81
10-03-2010, 08:45 PM
The Pacers rivals are Detroit, New Jersey, Minnesota, Golden State and any other team that finish in front of them for the number one pick.

Hicks
10-03-2010, 10:05 PM
:grinno:

pizza guy
10-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Haha this is the way I feel for the most part.

To go a little further I think age is a huge factor in this. I was 13-15 years old when Reggie had some of the most memorable performances I've ever seen. So if you ask me to name the first team that comes to mind when I think Pacers rival, the immediate response will be the Knicks. Imagine you were born in 1990. You would be 4 when the when these rivalries were occurring. The same hypothetical person born in 1990 would probably relate to the Pistons as the main rival, because they were 13-15 when they were occurring. So it relative to the age of the fan to some degree. I feel lucky to be at the right age to see the Pacers Knicks battles. They had more ferocity than the Pacers/Pistons.

Who was the biggest rival to the Pacers before the 90s clashes with the Knicks? Can some one break down a rivalry history since the beginning of the franchise?

Yep, I'm in this boat. It'll always be the Bulls and Knicks for me, and the Lakers because those are the teams that stood in our way in so many championship runs. The Pistons were a good rival for a couple years, and I'll always hate them, but not on the same level as Chi, NYK, or LA.

--pizza

duke dynamite
10-03-2010, 10:23 PM
The entire league.

cgg
10-04-2010, 12:15 AM
The Pistons even have to try to out tank us. *******s.

Will Galen
10-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Who is the pacers biggest rival that you as a fan despise the most? I know the Lakers and Celtics are not the Pacers traditional rivals but most fans despise those teams for one reason or another so I felt it necessary to add them.

It seems to be you've asked two different questions so your poll will naturally be corrupted.

In the poll, I answered the question in the thread title of who is the Pacer's biggest rival. That actually has nothing to do with which team I despise or dislike the most.

In actuality I probably wouldn't hate/despise/dislike any team if it wasn't for their obnoxious big mouth fans, and fawning sports commentators. It's just that you like to see such people get shut up.

DaveP63
10-04-2010, 08:02 AM
I voted for the Knicks, but the more I think about it, the more I'd have to say the Pizztones...I REALLY don't like the Pizztones...

Trophy
10-04-2010, 08:41 AM
I think the opposing team you play is your rival.

Rivalries, IMO need to have a long history and the teams have been around for a while.

The Lakers/Celtics and the Yankees/Red Sox have been around for a while and have a lot of history.