PDA

View Full Version : Some very disturbing tweets from Mike Wells...

Peck
10-03-2010, 12:46 PM
MikeWellsNBA Hansbrough has yet to scrimmage 5-on-5 during training camp. They've scrimmaged everyday.

MikeWellsNBA O'Brien on Hansbrough not scrimmaging, "The more times he misses five-on-five, the further behind he gets. There’s no way of sugar coating."

He went on to say that Tyler is doing the 4 on 4 drills but not 5 on 5.

This is not the good news we had hoped for and seeing as how A.J. is doing everything it makes you wonder if maybe Tyler hasn't had more issues with Vertigo.

xBulletproof
10-03-2010, 12:51 PM
If he's playing 4 on 4 I don't see what the big deal could be with his health. If he was still having issues he wouldn't be playing in any parts of practice with contact.

I see it as just being very cautious.

pwee31
10-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Yeah I noticed I hadn't seen him in the scrimmage videos. I'll start to worry if he's not playing at all during the preseason

luis3ep
10-03-2010, 12:54 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/125g9c1.jpg

I KID, I KID.. but seriously..they're just being careful with him. No biggie.

Trophy
10-03-2010, 01:03 PM
They're probably still taking it easy with his pratice time.

vnzla81
10-03-2010, 01:04 PM
I'll be worry if he does not play in the preseason, for now they are just taking it easy.

Day-V
10-03-2010, 01:10 PM
More than likely their still trying to get him acclimated to playing basketball again on a daily basis.

That, and not really being able to play since January has to make you rusty as hell.

Hicks
10-03-2010, 08:08 PM
It concerns me, and it's tempting to feel alarmed about it, but then why would he be allowed to play 4-on-4 scrimmages if this were serious?

And yet, why not 5-on-5 while being able to do 4-on-4?

I don't get it.

Sookie
10-03-2010, 08:16 PM
It concerns me, and it's tempting to feel alarmed about it, but then why would he be allowed to play 4-on-4 scrimmages if this were serious?

I don't get it.

He's less likely to get hit in the head?

Also, I get the impression that 4 on 4 is just half court, where as 5 on 5 is full court.

PacerGuy
10-03-2010, 08:29 PM

I don't get it.

Because in 4-on-4 drills, teams play without a PF! :D

(That or they are played using only coaches and staff assistants)

Hicks
10-03-2010, 08:36 PM
He's less likely to get hit in the head?

Also, I get the impression that 4 on 4 is just half court, where as 5 on 5 is full court.

I saw him playing briefly in the video from Tuesday. Pretty sure that was full-court.

Hicks
10-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Here's the video:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2010/09/28/camphighlights100928-1425556/index.html

speakout4
10-03-2010, 08:48 PM
These doctors are paid to be cautious with their merchandise.

Duuglas
10-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Curious what TH's fitness level is considering he had the dizzys. If 4 on 4 is half court is he not up to the level of the other guys? Was he not able to do the workouts over the off season because of the condition?

Seems to me that they are being very careful not to hurt him in another way by rushing him into the drills and full on scrimmage. I would think that the last thing the Pacers want is to have him miss more time because of a muscle pull or some other dumb injury.

MyFavMartin
10-03-2010, 11:39 PM
TH was in the first day's video and was cleared by the doctors for full-contact. It seems that JOB isn't clear as to why TH is not in the 5-on-5 scrimmage. Good reporting Mike for not adding clarity. Is it a medical issue or a conditioning issue? I'm confused because JOB said TH was cleared for full contact AND looked in excellent condition.

Maybe Danny requested it after being knocked down?

Los Angeles
10-04-2010, 12:49 AM
While twitter might inspire some sort of sense of connectedness, I find it to be a tremendous waste of time most of the time.

Pacerfan
10-04-2010, 02:17 AM
So Mike posted an article on him. I'm just going to post it in this thread because it doesn't really warrant a new thread as Mike Wells has failed to provide anything more insightful than his tweets.

Hansbrough Falls Behind
-Mike Wells

The Indiana Pacers had an injury-free first week of training camp.

But fans might want to place an asterisk next to Tyler Hansbrough's name. He practiced, but it came with limitations.

The vertigo-plagued power forward did not take part in the daily five-on-five scrimmages.

Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said Hansbrough falls further behind the longer he's held out of scrimmages. He hopes the second-year forward's limitations will be lifted this week.

"He was behind coming in because he didn't have a training camp last year, then he missed most of the season, and the more times he misses five-on-five, the further behind he gets," O'Brien said. "There's no way of sugar-coating it. He'll start to catch up once he's able to go in every drill we do."

A shin injury sidelined Hansbrough in training camp last year. He was limited to just 29 games last season because of vertigo.

With Hansbrough's relative inaction, Josh McRoberts has taken a big lead for the starting spot.

The Pacers have three preseason games this week -- at Memphis on Wednesday, home against Orlando on Friday and at Houston on Saturday.

Rookie initiation

The Pacers' three rookies will be sporting a new look starting this week that will last all season.

The look will definitely draw attention.

Paul George, Magnum Rolle and Lance Stephenson will carry pink Disney "Princess" backpacks with them, including on the team plane and at the arena on the road, for the rest of the season as part of their NBA initiation.

"That's just what the rookies have to do," Stephenson said. "We have to live up to it and make sure we follow through with it."

The rookies can thank Roy Hibbert for the gifts.

Hibbert, who took over the initiation duties from veteran Jeff Foster, posted a Twitter message telling fans to let him know if they see any of the rookies not carrying his backpack around the city.

"If they don't carry their bags, they might get a bucket of ice thrown on them in the shower or get their stuff duct taped when they least expect it," Hibbert said. "We're not going to go to the extreme and make them wash cars or anything like that."

George is taking the initiation in stride.

"I might as well have fun with it," he said. "I might throw a Nike sign on it just to make it official. You won't catch me in (anything else) pink. The backpack is as far as it goes. I'm excited for it."

http://www.indystar.com/article/20101004/SPORTS04/10040321/1062/SPORTS04/Hansbrough-falls-behind

MLB007
10-04-2010, 11:31 AM

I don't get it.

Can only assume floor spacing.
Not as tight in the paint with 4.
Less chances of swinging elbows.

MLB007
10-04-2010, 11:33 AM
I don't think there's any doubt that he is still dealing with the issue.
The wording has been very clear in that he has NOT said "I"m 100% and it's all behind me."
He said things like "feeling better, ready to give it a shot" kind of stuff.
Seemed pretty clear to me that he's still dealing with it and trying to develop and relearn how to do things without triggering the worst of it.

Peck
10-04-2010, 11:46 AM
MikeWellsNBA Tyler n last Wed's paper on not going fullcourt 5x5, "They just didn't want me to go all out. They want to gradually bring me back in.

MikeWellsNBA For those wondering, Hansbrough did NOT have a setback. The plan along was to bring him back slowly.

Hicks
10-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Mike tweeted some more this morning about it:

For those wondering, Hansbrough did NOT have a setback. The plan along was to bring him back slowly.

Tyler's n last Wed's paper on not going fullcourt 5x5 "They just didn't want me to go all out. They want to gradually bring me back in."

O'Brien is not a big fan of players being restricted. He wasn't happy about Dunleavy having a minute restriction in games last season.

vnzla81
10-04-2010, 11:51 AM
So is not biggie then, I expect Tyler to play 15+ minutes in the preseason, maybe no more than 20min.

pwee31
10-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Conrad says Tyler should start scrimmaging this week

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/web_101004.html

One week of camp is hardly the time to start drawing conclusions about a team, at least in terms of its prospects for the season, but there has been one particularly strong impression: the vibe is much, much better -- in fact, it's been as positive as I can remember.

I'm not sure if that's due to the good health, the fresh infusion of young, upbeat personalities like Darren Collison and Paul George, or the continued emergence of Roy Hibbert as a leadership force on and off the court – probably a combination of all of the above – but this has been a noticeably more angst-free camp.

With everyone able to practice ever day thus far, Jim O'Brien and his staff have been able to move forward with installation, preparation and evaluation in a relatively seamless manner.

"It's very important to have everybody ready to go and healthy to go full-out," O'Brien said. "It's absolutely an important ingredient because you don't know what you have till you see everybody together. The other thing is they're not only healthy, they're pretty advanced from a conditioning standpoint."

The lone asterisk has been Tyler Hansbrough, who participated in practices but not the five-on-five scrimmages. He should begin scrimmaging this week.

"I'm hoping this will be the last day he won't go (five on five)," O'Brien said Saturday. "He's behind coming in because he didn't have training camp last year and missed most of the season and the more times he misses five-on-five the further behind he gets. There's no sugar-coating it. He'll begin to catch up once he's able to go in very drill that we do."

Of course, now someone will tweak an ankle and you know who'll get the blame for being the jinx.

Rave reviews for rookie class

First-round pick Paul George has quietly had a very strong camp thus far, earning high praise from O'Brien for his hustle at both ends of the court. He has been at or near the top of the team in the all-important "hustle stats" categories – deflections, steals, offensive rebounds et al – since camp opened.

But he hasn't been the only eye-opener. Lance Stephenson, while very much a work in progress on defense, has been very strong offensively. And Magnum Rolle shook off a slow start to become much more active and aggressive at both ends.

"Sometime this year we're going to look back on this and people are going to realize this is the rookie class that started to really turn this thing around," said O'Brien. "All three guys are going to be long-term Pacers and play many, many minutes for us. How soon that happens remains to be seen but we're very pleased with where all three guys are right now."

CableKC
10-04-2010, 12:34 PM
For me, as long as we see a PF/C rotation that makes sense...then I am perfectly fine with easing Hansbrough in...even as the regular season progresses. Now...having a PF/C rotation that makes sense...when it comes to JO'B....should be met with some concern. When I say that I'd lke to see a PF/C rotation that makes sense....I mean a PF/C rotation that includes heavy doses of Hibbert/McRoberts/Foster/Solo with lesser does of Hibbert/Foster/Granger/Posey.

As for Hansbrough, the guy has been out for what pretty much amounts to a full season. I don't mind easing him in very slowly given what we have seen of what has happened with Players like JONeal and Dunleavy in the past. I'd rather has a slower more gradual season for Hansbrough where we see limited but consistent minutes for him rather then giving him minutes because we just want to see what he can do.

BornReady
10-04-2010, 12:49 PM
he's been out so long...I can't help but wonder if a week is actually going to make that much of a difference...

BillS
10-04-2010, 01:17 PM
he's been out so long...I can't help but wonder if a week is actually going to make that much of a difference...

A normal week, no, but camp weeks are like dog weeks. The importance of being completely involved is extremely high.

McKeyFan
10-04-2010, 03:12 PM
I agree with the word "disturbing."

He didn't get to participate in training camp last year. He sat out half the season his rookie year. Five months later he still can't go full steam in practice.

That's disturbing.

Anthem called it.