PDA

View Full Version : Who will you be watching this season and why?

gummy
10-02-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm thinking of paying for the 7 team League Pass Broadband and I am having a little trouble figuring out what teams I want to watch besides the Pacers (regional/historical loyalty, some young promise) and Thunder (tons of young talent and team chemistry, plus Durant) and perhaps Miami (the lure of two superstars, the fact that they could be an incredible team or could totally implode). Part of my issue is that there have been so many off-season moves that I'm not entirely sure who will be interesting to watch.

If you were to pick 6 NBA teams to watch this season who would they be and why?

BobbyMac
10-02-2010, 05:45 PM
I only watch the Pacers.

gummy
10-02-2010, 05:46 PM
I only watch the Pacers.

Looks like this question is not for you then! :D

I will likely watch all the Pacer games this season but I love basketball in general so I'll also want to see non-Pacers games, probably at least 20-30 other contests over the course of the season. That may end up consisting of only one or two other teams, despite having up to 7 choices or it may be spread around...that's part of what I am trying to figure out!

spreedom
10-02-2010, 06:03 PM
My 7:

Mavs, Pacers, Wolves, Bucks, Magic, Lakers, Heat (just to root against them).

gummy
10-02-2010, 06:05 PM
My 7:

Thanks - I expect you have reasons for each of those other than the Heat? Would love to hear 'em.

Pacers#1Fan
10-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Pacers, obviously.
Magic, Howard fan.
Bobcats, fun to watch.
Hawks, fun to watch.
Clippers, strictly to see the how/if the injury effected Griffin's game.
Spurs, I just want to see when one of them turns to dust in the middle of the court.

Day-V
10-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Pacers. Whatever's on TNT. Whatever's on ESPN.

CT Pacer
10-02-2010, 06:40 PM
My 7..

Indiana Pacers - Favorite team.

Boston Celtics - Hometown team and to watch Jermaine.

Miami Heat - The Big 3. I don't love em but I'll sure watch.

Memphis Grizzlies - Love watching Mayo, Conley and Gay. 3 exciting players.

Atlanta Hawks - Josh Smith.

New York Knicks - Perhaps this could be the year they compete again?

Charlotte Bobcats - Wallace and Jackson are an exciting combo.

All in all besides the Pacers and my hometown Celtics I just watch the teams that are most exciting to me. :twocents:

Sookie
10-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Not sure if I'm going to get this (I might wait for the half a season deal) But my teams would be..

Pacers- obviously

I kind of Watch other teams for some of my favorite players or players I'm interested in watching.
Spurs - Ginobili
Suns - Nash
Golden State - Jeremy Lin (and hopefully Adrien makes the team..)
Lakers - Kobe (although it really stunk to sign up for the Lakers last season, as I swear a majority of their games are blacked out)
New Orleans - Chris Paul/Okafor
OKC - with Durant

pacer4ever
10-02-2010, 08:30 PM
kings,bulls,heat,clippers,grizz,thunder

but im just buying all 30 teams

pacer4ever
10-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Not sure if I'm going to get this (I might wait for the half a season deal) But my teams would be..

Pacers- obviously

I kind of Watch other teams for some of my favorite players or players I'm interested in watching.
Spurs - Ginobili
Suns - Nash
Golden State - Jeremy Lin (and hopefully Adrien makes the team..)
Lakers - Kobe (although it really stunk to sign up for the Lakers last season, as I swear a majority of their games are blacked out)
New Orleans - Chris Paul/Okafor
OKC - with Durant

lol u watch NOLA to see okafor lol is there a reason u like him??

ChristianDudley
10-02-2010, 08:43 PM
My 7..

Indiana Pacers - Favorite team.

Boston Celtics - Hometown team and to watch Jermaine.

Miami Heat - The Big 3. I don't love em but I'll sure watch.

Memphis Grizzlies - Love watching Mayo, Conley and Gay. 3 exciting players.

Atlanta Hawks - Josh Smith.

New York Knicks - Perhaps this could be the year they compete again?

Charlotte Bobcats - Wallace and Jackson are an exciting combo.

All in all besides the Pacers and my hometown Celtics I just watch the teams that are most exciting to me. :twocents:

pretty good list...I might switch out the Bobcats and/or Knicks with the Magic and some other team, but you got a good list going there. Maybe add in Bulls with the Magic??

Sookie
10-02-2010, 08:44 PM
lol u watch NOLA to see okafor lol is there a reason u like him??

Fine.

I like watching CP3 play, and Okafor's nice too look at. ;)

Truthfully, I don't really care TOO much about either, but we have to pick seven.

speakout4
10-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Pacers obviously
Miami--obviously
Knicks-- to root against them
Boston--Rondo is an exciting player
Dallas--see Knicks
Charlotte-- G. Wallace
Portland--Brandon Roy

imawhat
10-02-2010, 08:56 PM
I watch every team at least once a week. My top 7 this year will probably be:

1. Pacers
2. Wizards
3. Kings
4. Thunder
5. Philadelphia
6. Trailblazers
7. Chicago

I love watching young teams develop.

The Wizards are completely revamped and have some interesting pieces to fit around Wall. McGee is the new Tyson Chandler, Gilbert looks great so far this preseason, Hinrich is solid, Howard might be nice when healthy, Hilton Armstrong is a great piece with wall, Yi is an interesting fit, Adam Morrison could do something, etc. etc. Can't wait to see how Flip utilizes this talent. They'll be a surprise team..could make the playoffs.

I love watching Tyreke Evans play. I love the Kings announcers (some of the best in the league, imo), I like Casspi, Cousins should be an interesting fit, Thompson is nice, etc. They won't be great, but they'll be fun to watch in Westphal's system.

The Thunder is the most exciting team in the NBA, imo. I love Westbrook, Durant and Harden. Sefolosha and Ibaka are nice too.

AI was great this summer. I can't wait to see how Turner fits between Holiday and AI. It'll be interesting to see what Doug Collins does with them.

I like Andre Miller. It's fun to watch Roy, LA, and now Camby. Bayless improved his defense last year. It'll be interesting to see if he gets playing time with Armon Johnson there now.

I love watching Derrick Rose and Noah.

I'll also spend more time watching the Heat, Lakers, Bucks, Charlotte, Orlando, Knicks, Utah, Golden State and Atlanta.

imawhat
10-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Fine.

I like watching CP3 play, and Okafor's nice too look at. ;)

Why didn't Wade and the Heat make your list :)?

xBulletproof
10-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Pacers - Duh

New Orleans - Love watching CP3, it's why I've seen Collison so much on League Pass. Fell in love with watching Collison, glad I don't have to watch NO to see him anymore.

Wizards - New to my list, and the reason is obvious. John Wall.

Hawks - Exciting team to watch, period.

Lakers - Pau/Kobe

Portland - Roy/Bayless and the rest of the talented players.

Oklahoma City - Westbrook/Durant. Big fan of both.

pwee31
10-02-2010, 09:02 PM
1. Pacers- Duh
2. Clippers- IU's Eric Gordon, Blake Griffin, and young Eric Bledsoe
3. Heat- Hate them, but must watch
4. Celtics- Like to see them w/ JO, Shaq, and ND Harangody added to the mix
5. Blazers- Looking for Oden to stay healthy
6. OKC- Durant and Company
7. Spurs- Ginobli and Hill
8. Bulls- Rose, Noah, Boozer
9. Jazz- Dwill and Hayward
10. GSW- Curry, David Lee, Udoh

Sookie
10-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Why didn't Wade and the Heat make your list :)?

Haaa, good point...But Miami would be hard to watch. Because I'd want them to lose, and they aren't gonna lose much.

Seriously though, I know I put the Lakers down, but I'd caution anyone who hasn't ordered this before to be careful with the more popular teams. It always felt that more often then not a Laker's game would be blacked out. I'd guess the same would be true for Miami.

CT Pacer
10-02-2010, 09:14 PM
pretty good list...I might switch out the Bobcats and/or Knicks with the Magic and some other team, but you got a good list going there. Maybe add in Bulls with the Magic??

I was debating on the Bulls or not. That is a team I'd be interested in watching.

PacersPride
10-02-2010, 09:18 PM
The Pacers for the most part is the only NBA team I watch, but others I would be willing to tune into include:

HEAT- for all the reasons mentioned previously.
CAVS- only a few games though just to see how awful and they are.
BULLS- PACERS biggest challenge in the central
LAKERS- hate them but you nvr know when artest might do something entertaining

thereafter its a tossup; CELTS, SPURS, MAVS, ROCKETS (like Yao Ming for some reason), HORNETS (see how Ariza does for them), THUNDER, MAGIC

PacersPride
10-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Haaa, good point...But Miami would be hard to watch. Because I'd want them to lose, and they aren't gonna lose much.

Seriously though, I know I put the Lakers down, but I'd caution anyone who hasn't ordered this before to be careful with the more popular teams. It always felt that more often then not a Laker's game would be blacked out. I'd guess the same would be true for Miami.

i was thinking that as well when i saw a Bosh interview the other day.. he mentioned they are not going to win all 82 games. who is going to beat the heat other than possibly the lakers and celtics? i gotta feeling its gonna be intolerable after awhile watching the heat blow teams out.

my guess in regard to the Lake show being blacked out it might be due to the fact they are already on 2-3 times a week on the major broadcasting stations like tnt and espn.

King Phoenix
10-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Pacers - No brainer

Lakers and Heat- two teams everyone is putting in the final so u gotta see who's living up to the hype

Magic and Chicago and Boston- they're the only hope to stop the Miami Cheat

and idk hmmm Portland or Okc - two great young teams who aren't in the news for trades and have good chemistry with a young team that can contend but I'll prolly pick Portland since roys my second favorite player!

grace
10-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Bucks.

vnzla81
10-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Suns: Nash is the best point guard and he makes everybody look good
Pacers
Thunder: I like KD and like to see a young team in the rising
Miami: they are going to be exciting to watch
Chicago: they are also going to be exciting to watch
Memphis: another young and exciting team to watch and also my guy Greivis Vasquez was drafted by them.
Golden State: again another young team that has a really nice player in Curry and now Lee

Teams like the Lakers, San Antonio and The Celtics are no good to watch during the regular season, they always try to get healthy for the playoffs

Strummer
10-03-2010, 01:10 AM
For my 7 last year, I stayed away from teams that would be on national tv a lot. Teams like the Lakers. I expect the Heat will be on a lot this year so I probably won't pick them...

Oh, and I only chose 6 teams last season. I decided to keep one spot open in case later in the season a team or player piqued my interest. But nope, I never filled that spot...

For the most part I only watched the Pacers...

gummy
10-03-2010, 01:32 AM
Nice to read these...also good to know I don't have to pick all 7 up front!

jeffg-body
10-03-2010, 01:47 AM
I would say

1. Pacers of course- home town guys
2. OK City- I want to see what an improved Durant
3. Bucks- I liked Jennings game
4. Bulls- I think they are building something special
5. Portland- Greg Oden
6. Boston- Watch the original three headed monster is like.
7. Cleveland- I want to see how the aftermath of the "Decision" pulls it together.

RamBo_Lamar
10-03-2010, 04:19 AM
Pacers - will always root for
Bulls - division rivals
Pistons - division rivals
Cavs - division rivals
Bucks - division rivals
Spurs - favorite western team

pacer4ever
10-03-2010, 01:58 PM
I would say

1. Pacers of course- home town guys
2. OK City- I want to see what an improved Durant
3. Bucks- I liked Jennings game
4. Bulls- I think they are building something special
5. Portland- Greg Oden
6. Boston- Watch the original three headed monster is like.
7. Cleveland- I want to see how the aftermath of the "Decision" pulls it together.

hopefully greg will play more than 30gms

BringJackBack
10-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Pacers - No brainer

Lakers and Heat- two teams everyone is putting in the final so u gotta see who's living up to the hype

Magic and Chicago and Boston- they're the only hope to stop the Miami Cheat

and idk hmmm Portland or Okc - two great young teams who aren't in the news for trades and have good chemistry with a young team that can contend but I'll prolly pick Portland since roys my second favorite player!

I would like you to tell me specifically how Miami in any way cheated to get the big three.

1. Lakers- I absolutely love watching Kobe play. I started watching ball in the 90's and while Mike is better, Kobe Bryant is alot more exciting to watch. The thought of more exciting players just makes me wish that I would have been around to watch Oscar, Bird, Magic, Maravich, and Kareem.

2. Miami- I don't possibly see how I couldn't watch this team. I mean, you have two of the top five guys in the league, on top of a top 15 guy. Of course in the nitty-gritty playoffs Chris Bosh will fail and they lack of inside scoring is going to kill them. However, during the regular season, they are going to be great to watch. I also want to see if Lebron has the abilities to average double figure assists.

3. Thunder- Watching these guys reminds me of watching a High School underdog team full of upperclassmen pulling it off to win it all. Their hustle and athleticism have me in awe sometimes, and the steady progress of these guys are going to catapult them into the WCF this year. Kevin Durant will also become the best scorer this year or next over Kobe passing the torch, so to speak.

4. Celtics- I love watching Rajon Rondo, Kevin Garnett, Shaq, and especially Paul Pierce. Shaq and Kevin will bring that fire that was missing in the final five minutes of the Finals which they lost. I happen to think that Shaq isn't done and he will have alot better year than last; being able to make plays for others. Shaq will always command his double team, and unlike Cleveland, the Boston players have been taught to move without the ball. As long as Shaq is played very carefully in the regular season he should be prepared for the playoffs. He isn't a choke artist, D'antoni and Mike Brown don't know how to keep older players, with the exception of Nash who takes care of his own self, healthy or prepared for the post season.

5. Spurs- Manu is one of my favorite players of all time. DeJuan Blair is a special talent that just has that brute ability that only comes around oh so often. Tim Duncan is winding down, but he is still available and he can have those 25 point, 20 rebound nights.

6. Kings- I have a weird liking for the Kings. Tyreke, Casspi, Cousins, Thompson, and Whiteside all intigued me as prospects and I can't miss out.

7. Indiana- obvious reasons.

PaceBalls
10-03-2010, 03:25 PM
I was thinking about this too, because I hardly ever watch tv, the only reason I have cable is for the Pacers. But since I am local, I assume all the games are blacked out? Is there a way around that with an IP mask or something?

xtacy
10-03-2010, 05:02 PM
my 6

lakers, celtics, heat, magic, thunder, grizzlies(or suns)

pacer4ever
10-03-2010, 05:23 PM
:cool:just bought all 30 teams:)

focused444
10-03-2010, 05:29 PM
If you choose a team playing a lot of nationally televised games (Heat/Lakers) you may feel as if you wasted a slot because usually those will be blacked out online.

xtacy
10-04-2010, 03:18 AM
:cool:just bought all 30 teams:)

is it available?

i signed up for the reminder but i got nothing yet.

Kemo
10-04-2010, 04:15 AM
I am kinda curious on how well Jordan Farmar is gonna play this year on his new team , the New Jersey Nets ..

thefeistyone
10-04-2010, 07:25 AM
I always try to watch the pacers of course after that..

Jazz, my 2nd favorite team, always been a stockton fan and DWill may be the best pg in the game and we'll see how Jefferson fits. Plus they got the local boy Hayward on the team. So many reasons to watch the Jazz this year.

Heat, the big 3
Thunder, Durant and Co
Spurs, Parker and Duncan

Lastly the Nets, Mostly because I'm sure after a couple games I'll miss Troy Murphy so much I'll have to buy league pass

Unclebuck
10-04-2010, 09:36 AM
I try to watch every NBA team - haven't done as well the past two seasons with that, but will try this season to watch more of the lesser known teams

spreedom
10-04-2010, 11:51 AM
My 7:

Thanks - I expect you have reasons for each of those other than the Heat? Would love to hear 'em.

Mavs are my favorite team.
Pacers a close second.
Wolves are my hometown team (lived in Minnesota for 21 years until I moved to Madison four years ago) and I am a huge fan of Kevin Love's game.
Bucks will actually be on locally so scratch them. Replace them with the Thunder.
Magic are possibly the most entertaining team in the league with their three point bombers and Dwight Howard destroying people inside.
Lakers because Kobe's the best player since Michael and personally in my top 5 of all-time (albeit under my own admission that I can't rank players that I've never seen play).
Heat because I can't wait to watch them wilt under the pressure of the sky-high expectations.

MLB007
10-04-2010, 02:48 PM
That one dark haired cheerleader.
Why?
Duh..............

Unclebuck
10-04-2010, 03:14 PM
I will say the only teams I tend to shy away from are the teams that have been the same for many years. For example the years Flip Saunders coached the Pistons, I felt like I had seen that group of players play so many times there was nothing new to see.

Same could now be said about the Lakers and a few of the other top teams, but I have to watch when the lakers play the top NBA teams, those are typically special games that rise above typical regular season NBA games.

cordobes
10-05-2010, 06:39 PM
If I were you, I'd pick:

1) Miami - very excited to see that team playing.

2) Chicago: I think they'll be a good team (in that 50 wins ballpark) assuming decent health and they'll be strong defensively - Thibodeau + Noah will give this team a defense/effort first identity that will make them enjoyable to watch, I think. I'm also interested to see the growth of some of their young reserves. I think their (very tough) early schedule will be a very interesting period to follow them. Without Boozer, they can get out of the first 20 games or so really beaten down. Intrigued to see how they rebound from that.

3) Utah: they do a lot of beautiful stuff on their offense + I'm interested to see how Al Jefferson does playing for a good team. Looking forward to see how he and Williams combine.

4) New York: my interest in them is more or less correlated with how much Anthony Randolph plays and his defensive improvement. If he's playing 30 mpg, getting lots of touches and dedicating himself to play good defense, I'll watch that team a lot: I like their roster, I think it gives D'Antoni lots of options to create mismatches, with so many long and athletic, fast guys.

5)&6) How much interest do you have on teams like the Lakers, Celtics, Magic, even San Antonio, that will be on national tv a lot and have been playing together for awhile? I'd probably pass them. If the Magic go through a line-up change, moving Rashard Lewis to the 3 and playing Anderson or Bass more at the 4 (or Howard+Gortat together), going for a more grind-out style of play, then my interest on watching them would soar. I'm not expecting it though. So, maybe the Thunder and Portland for the final two spots - a good defensive team with explosive scoring and a team that, health permitting, should be really, really good.

pacer4ever
10-05-2010, 07:03 PM
is it available?

i signed up for the reminder but i got nothing yet.

ya go to nba.com it is $180 early bird special lol just 4 broadband

Hicks
10-05-2010, 11:40 PM

FYI, Comcast cost about $165 right now for TV league pass, which INCLUDES the broadband version. I don't know why TV + Broadband was a little cheaper than Broadband is all by itself, but there you go.

DrFife
10-06-2010, 12:33 AM
I could offer a number of answers to this question that would interest almost no one, so instead let me answer: Sacramento. Why? Because they are the team with perhaps the most intriguing mix of bigs. Cousins, Dalembert, Whiteside, Landry and, apologies to Josh McRoberts -- a top candidate for our future "Player X" F/C -- Jason Thompson.

Here's a spirited discussion about JT on one of the Sac forums:

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2010/9/10/1680247/30q-what-becomes-of-jason-thompson

In my opinion, the best post of all was submitted, by "jjham15," reads as follows:

"Here are my thoughts:

Although I love the current mixture of talent the Kings own in the post, I believe that the long term plan is to buy a little time for both Thompson and Cousins to develop. Of the Kings four key bigs, Landry and Dalembert are the least “complete” as players. Landry is an excellent scorer and passable as a defender but his inability to rebound is not something that can be rectified with time. Dalembert is the complete opposite of Landry. Sammy D can hit the glass and is an excellent shot blocker but inept on the offensive end.

I have admitted to being in the pro-Jason Thompson camp in the past so let me explain why I think he is a long term solution. First up, he is under “team control” for another 3 seasons, only Cousins and Whiteside are under control for longer. He is a capable scorer, rebounder and has the tools to be a capable defender. Neither Landry or Dalembert (or Whiteside) can boast all three attributes. Add to this that outside of Cousins, Thompson is the best passer of the lot and in a pinch, the offense can run through him. I guess what I am saying, is that Thompson has the ability to do everything- maybe not at an elite level, but at a competent level and here is the kicker, Thompson can do these things at 2 positions, PF and C, something that even Cousins cannot do.

The Kings made a move to get Dalembert when they believed that Cousins was not even an option in the draft. They drafted Whiteside because he was a player that they couldn’t pass up on. They brought in Landry, not so much to replace Thompson but to add to the mix. I believe the long term Kings front court will be Cousins at center, Thompson at the power forward, Landry as the best scorer extraordinaire and Whiteside as a goal tender off the bench.

What I really like about this season, is that the Kings, through Westphal, can control the statistical performance of Landry, Thompson and Dalembert, hiding behind the term “depth” so that they can in a sense control the market for all three players. Next summer, the Kings can re-sign Landry or Dalembert or both and extend Thompson. Dalembert is the only truly proven commodity that can hit the open market and set his own price but coming off a few questionable years in Philly, what would that price be? Landry really has only put one really good season on the books and Thompson has been erratic in his two seasons. The Kings hold a lot of cards here.

Lastly, I want to add this- as a follower of Thompson on twitter (take this for what it is worth), I can tell you that he has worked out religiously all summer. Jerry Reynolds even alluded to Thompson being the leader of the let’s get to Sacramento early and work out together mentality that we are seeing right now with the Kings. Thompson was at summer league, he visited Omri in Israel- basically, he looks like the glue guy that every team needs. The Kings have always been a team that rewards players like Thompson who put in the work and go the extra mile for the team and I don’t see them doing anything different with Thompson."

bballpacen
10-06-2010, 12:34 AM
I just got the 7 team broadband pass... But I cannot figure out where to select my teams to follow...

Pacers - only reason I am making this purchase... The other 6 teams are icing on my cake...
Heat - Duh
Celtics - Love the roster that they have assembled...
Thunder - Durant and Co are gonna be exciting team to watch...
Atlanta - Smith and Horford... Hoping to watch one next year in Blue and Gold...
T-Wolves - Young group... Lots of potential... Hoping to see them develop this year...

I am gonna leave the 7th spot open for now... And see what other team peaks my interest as the season progresses...

xtacy
10-06-2010, 03:07 AM

thanks. i didn't see that before. too bad that page is blocked at work. i have to wait till i get home.

i hope it doesn't only work for US.

cordobes
10-06-2010, 09:04 PM
I watched part of the Wizards game and they were fun to watch. John Wall + their big men mesh nicely, Yi, Blatche and McGee are very fast on the open floor. It can be an interesting pick-up.