PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Day "V" Highlights (See what I did thar?)

Day-V
10-02-2010, 04:18 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2010/10/02/highlights101002-1429813/index.htm

Supposedly, DC and Roy looked good today.

Wells: The blue team, which featured Collison, Granger and George blew by the white team, which had Ford, Stephenson and Dunleavy, 32-15 2day.

Wells: I should mention that Hibbert was on the blue team, too, and he was one of the most impressive players out there today.

xBulletproof
10-02-2010, 04:21 PM
I watched it. I don't think I saw anything George did in the first play through. To be expected by a rookie I suppose.

Day-V
10-02-2010, 04:23 PM
While "Highlight" clips can be a bit deceiving, it's good to see Roy make the plays that he does in the video. Also looked like Brandon was doing some good things, as well.

Sookie
10-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Those clips..looked like layup drills for the PGs.

I'm not going to lie though, I find it interesting that you switch PG and Dun, and suddenly Blue crushes White. (which they haven't doen all week) I'm sure there are other reasons..but it's still interesting.

BornReady
10-02-2010, 05:30 PM
It looks like Ford still likes to dominate the ball

ReginaldWayne
10-02-2010, 07:01 PM
It looks like Ford still likes to dominate the ball

you can't turn a hoe into a housewife.

avoidingtheclowns
10-02-2010, 07:05 PM

Bravo begs to differ.

sportfireman
10-02-2010, 07:16 PM

That's not nice to call the man a hoe. He's been the MOST cordial guy on our roster. IMO. There's nothing wrong with his style it just doesnt mesh with this team. And I know it was an anology but not a good one. IMO.

BornReady
10-02-2010, 07:58 PM

yea, I'm not quite sure how you would go about turning a gardening tool into a housewife either...

ReginaldWayne
10-02-2010, 08:02 PM
That's not nice to call the man a hoe. He's been the MOST cordial guy on our roster. IMO. There's nothing wrong with his style it just doesnt mesh with this team. And I know it was an anology but not a good one. IMO.

Yes I agree, I am very surprised actually at how well he has handled this situation even since last season. It is not something you see very often. That being said, it is a perfect analogy. You can not turn a hoe into a housewife. Just how you can not turn a over dribbling, looking for your own shot, mind state of needing to take over type of point guard, into a pass first and team first type of player. And with that being said, I'm sure there are some better analogies out there.

BornReady
10-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Yes I agree, I am very surprised actually at how well he has handled this situation even since last season. It is not something you see very often. That being said, it is a perfect analogy. You can not turn a hoe into a housewife. Just how you can not turn a over dribbling, looking for your own shot, mind state of needing to take over type of point guard, into a pass first and team first type of player. And with that being said, I'm sure there are some better analogies out there.

There is a significant difference between a hoe and a ho.

xBulletproof
10-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Some of you took this ho into a housewife thing a bit too literally. It doesn't mean TJ is a ho in anyway. Unless someone's trying to make him a wife, I have no idea how you're coming to that conclusion.

El Pacero
10-02-2010, 09:29 PM
From the highlights, it looks like Roy has found his shot quickly. Was also thinking it's probably good for both TJ and DC to be playing against each other.

Watching Miami and even the Wizards on NBA TV allowing big crowds to watch their practices is just killing me.

KennerLeaguer
10-02-2010, 09:42 PM
From the highlights, it looks like Roy has found his shot quickly. Was also thinking it's probably good for both TJ and DC to be playing against each other.

Watching Miami and even the Wizards on NBA TV allowing big crowds to watch their practices is just killing me.

The Thunder had a scrimmage at a high school gym and the whole town seemed to turn out.

imawhat
10-02-2010, 11:43 PM
The Thunder had a scrimmage at a high school gym and the whole town seemed to turn out.

I wish the Pacers would do that. Thunderbird suggested they do that last season; tour some of the southern Indiana gyms (if allowed by the marketing restrictions).

Day-V
10-02-2010, 11:45 PM
I wish the Pacers would do that. Thunderbird suggested they do that last season; tour some of the southern Indiana gyms (if allowed by the marketing restrictions).

I think it'd be pretty cool to see them go to the different colleges. Hinkle, Mackey, Assembly Hall. Would be something different.

El Pacero
10-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Let's start out slow. If they did this just at Conseco, which would be awesome, how many people would really turn out? I don't know anything about logistics except setting up wrestling rings, but I guess around 10 employees could handle that. If it's just 20 PD members or hundreds of fans, I don't think it would be that hard to do. At least for the last couple practices...

Day-V
10-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Let's start out slow. If they did this just at Conseco, which would be awesome, how many people would really turn out? I don't know anything about logistics except setting up wrestling rings, but I guess around 10 employees could handle that. If it's just 20 PD members or hundreds of fans, I don't think it would be that hard to do. At least for the last couple practices...

That'd be cool. It'd definitely be something I know I'd attend since I'm downtown for school during the week. I'd gladly even pay a few bucks to go in and watch the guys.

El Pacero
10-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Hey an idea just occurred to me, why not just make the last practice Fan Jam? All PD complaints about Fan Jam magically go away.

count55
10-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Noticed that Foster, Rush, and George all played with Blue today, while Dunleavy & McBob were on the white team. Price was on blue, as well, but I can't remember if that was a change or not.

While these have been little more than high-functioning pick up games, there have been two consistent themes I've liked - a high level of energy/aggressiveness, and lots of talking amongst the players. That's both the guys on the court, and the ones sitting on the sideline.

Mr_Smith
10-03-2010, 08:19 AM
This is my first time seeing any of the training camp highlights.....It was really good to see Jeff Foster back out there.

OakMoses
10-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Roy's shot looks beautiful.

Lance doesn't look like a PG in this video, but he can score. If I were writing an equation for him it would look like this:

Marquis Daniels + midrange jumper - defense = Lance Stephenson.

Day-V
10-03-2010, 09:41 AM

It really does. He's not hesitating on taking his shot, either. Form looks almost effortless.

TooBigNdaPaint
10-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Excellent practice by all of the guys. Damn, Roy Hibbert definitely looks like 'night and day' out there. That jumper from the 'elbow' looks like money and he now has some cat-quick moves 'at-the-rim' to get his shot off or finish. Thank you Bill Walton. I can also see WHY Darren thinks we have alot of great shooters. I didn't see too many guys missing shots although I didn't see much 'contestation' of shots either. But, we all know (and can see in their body language) that our guys are trying very hard to NOT hurt each other inadvertently. Even the picks and fouls are soft. Regarding TJ, he's definitely a 'shooting guard' stuck in a PG's body. I'd bring him and Lance off the bench with the 2nd unit and let Lance play point guard on offense and TJ play shooting guard. On defense, they could switch it up. Lance play defense on the other team's shooting guard and TJ would matchup against their PG. This way, JOB could 'maximize' both players strong points and athletic ability. TJ can definitely 'score' the rock and JOB should quit being so damn stubborn and get the max out of TJ. Man, I can't wait for the preseason to begin. It's gonna be a fun year for the Pacers and their fans!!!!

Final note: If JOB wants the team to play defense this year, he NEEDS to come up with a grading system for all of the players to include using correct 'defensive' fundamentals and techniques. The coaching staff should be reviewing the previous practice tapes before each new practice and conduct film reviews on what's good and what's sloppy/incorrect. This way, Paul George and Lance Stephenson (and even Danny) would be actually applying proper defensive techniques (without thinking) that would carry over to real games. We can't wait until AFTER we play Miami, Orlando, Boston, or Atlanta. If we expect to beat these teams on a consistent basis, we HAVE to start applying correct defensive techniques NOW......and, not after losing 10 games due to sloppy defense. Be smart....JOB!!! You really DO have an excellent team of shooters and athletes now!!

pizza guy
10-03-2010, 12:26 PM
I like that J'Ob is trying different lineups to see who works well together. I like the lineup of

DC
Rush
Granger
Foster
Hibbert

And Hibbert looks good.

MaHa3000
10-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Lance plays zero defence.

pacer4ever
10-03-2010, 01:52 PM

Lance doesn't look like a PG in this video, but he can score. If I were writing an equation for him it would look like this:

Marquis Daniels + midrange jumper - defense = Lance Stephenson.

i dont think Marquis was as fast and quick as lance

Sookie
10-03-2010, 02:14 PM

well then how slow was Marquis?

pacer4ever
10-03-2010, 02:19 PM
well then how slow was Marquis?

i just think lance has another gear than Marquis

BornReady
10-03-2010, 05:52 PM

I don't think Lance is faster than Marquis perse, he just happens to find a way to score..which I have no problem with :D

Anthem
10-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Quis wasn't terrible fast... he was just crafty.

Pacers4Life
10-03-2010, 07:25 PM
haven't watched it yeet... bout to. we got 6 mins of the FIRST and therefore sloppiest day. 4 1/2 mins last 3 days. Not a big deal... a little disappointing

Pacers4Life
10-03-2010, 07:32 PM
not a good defensive performance by either PG.. but the white got 15 pts? TJ had at least 6 of them... they had 15 pts!! Im soooo happy hes not our pg pretty much at all anymore

Hicks
10-03-2010, 08:33 PM
I think Lance and Quis both lacked a certain speed, but they still find ways to slither into the paint and finish. In Lance's case, he's clearly stronger than Daniels, but otherwise I think they're similar in that regard.

OakMoses
10-04-2010, 11:43 AM
I think Lance and Quis both lacked a certain speed, but they still find ways to slither into the paint and finish. In Lance's case, he's clearly stronger than Daniels, but otherwise I think they're similar in that regard.

Yep. Their lack of quickness is one of the main aspects that leads me to compare them. Neither one of them has great footspeed or a great first step. They both are excellent at subtle and unexpected changes of direction that allow them to squeeze through little cracks in the defense while maintaining superb body control. Also, they're both uncannily good finishers once they get close to the basket.

As for differences, defense is the obvious one. 'Quis was good at it. I also think that Lance has more of a scorer's mentality. Lance also has very nice mid-range game that he seems reluctant to use.