PDA

View Full Version : Fines for Techs to Double - ESPN

Brad8888
10-01-2010, 06:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5637811&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

Share Updated: October 1, 2010, 5:29 PM ETFines for technical fouls to doubleEmail Print Comments Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Technical fouls will become twice as expensive this season.

The NBA informed teams that fines for technicals will double from last season's amounts in a memo, the contents of which were confirmed to The Associated Press on Friday.

Players and coaches will now be docked $2,000 for each of their first five technical fouls. The costs rise to $3,000 for the next five, followed by $4,000 for Nos. 11-15. Starting at 16, players are suspended one game for every two technicals, along with $5,000 for each.

The number of technicals could rise this season with the NBA seeking to halt complaining about calls. They will now call technicals for overt gestures, such as punching the air in anger, even if it's not directed at a referee.

First more stringent rules. Now twice the fines.

Is the NBA league office trying to raise money to cover its operating expenses or what?

xBulletproof
10-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Good.

vapacersfan
10-01-2010, 06:48 PM
The truth is even these fines will not matter.

The player (Rasheed Wallace) who are frequent offenders do not care because they can afford the fines.

That said, this is a step in the right direction.

Doddage
10-01-2010, 08:52 PM
The player (Rasheed Wallace) who are frequent offenders do not care because they can afford the fines.
It seems like he left the league just in time...

Hicks
10-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Yeah, this remains peanuts to these guys.

Day-V
10-02-2010, 12:37 AM
League probably did this because of Sheed's retirement, lol. They knew with him gone, the money from techs was going to drop significantly.

Bball
10-02-2010, 12:41 AM
The problem is it's a subjective call. And to some degree things that would get you on a road to a technical are part of the game. I don't mind a coach defending his team or a player to a ref. ...at least to a point... And if a coach or player should cross the line in arguing a call/no call then a couple of T's and a DQ seems plenty to me.

Essentially, I'm not sure every technical deserves a fine. In fact, I'm not sure any technical foul itself deserves a fine. .... The fines should be considered separately for each incident when looked at by the league following the game.

The refs should be able to call t's when they feel they are deserved and not be left wondering if they should cause a player or coach to be fined X$ and hold back in some cases where they otherwise would just blow the whistle. IOW... the escalating fines actually can cause indecision and selective enforcement ("I'd like to T this guy up for the way he's going off... but I don't want to cost him 5,000.00 just because he's mad Bevetta missed that last call. I'd be mad too...").