PDA

View Full Version : T.J. Ford Remains A Pacer, For Now

90'sNBARocked
10-01-2010, 11:18 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17482
By: Steve Kyler

One More Season For T.J. Ford: T.J. Ford's style of play doesn't fit the system the Indiana Pacers want to run. That's something that's been clear for two seasons now.

As Indiana prepares for another season with training camp T.J. Ford, who was almost traded at the trade deadline in February, is hoping to see the floor a bit more this season, even if it's as a reserve.

"I thought there would be more options for me to be traded in the summertime with all the movement going on," Ford said to Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star. "There was talk about a possible deal, but it didn't happen and once the deal didn't go through, they started talking about a buyout. That's when I knew I would be back."
Ford was clear in all of those talks that he would not be surrendering any of the $8.5 million option he picked up this year.

"I don't see any reason why I should have to take less money," said Ford. "My contract says I'm scheduled to make a certain amount of money, and that's what I expect to get paid."

The Indiana Pacers had a deal in place at the trade deadline that would have shipped Ford to Charlotte last season, but at the twelfth hour Charlotte backed out and Ford was stuck in Indiana.

The Pacers tried aggressively this off-season to move Ford, even offering the rights to the 10th overall draft pick to a team that would take Ford in exchange for a different starting point guard.

Ford and Pacers' head coach Jim O'Brien have been at odds for months. The two finally sat down this week and talked through their issues and at least from Ford's perspective he hopes the situation improves.

"It was a conversation that we needed to have because we had prolonged it for so long," Ford said. "It's not like we didn't like each other; we were both being stubborn.

"At the end of the day, we all need each other. I need the organization. I need Coach O'Brien and Coach O'Brien needs me. Everybody needs each other to make this a good working environment."

"My role here is to be here coming off the bench, creating a spark, playing hard and teaching these young guys," Ford said. "It's a challenge that I'm up for."

There is little doubt that Ford will be traded at some point this season. He holds an $8.5 million ending contract and the trade deadline teams looking to shed contract dollars will have more interest in Ford, especially after the Pacers pay 70% of his contract.

The Pacers open pre-season on Wednesday in Memphis and open the regular season at San Antonio on the 27th.

Interesting he said his role is comming off the bench.

I guess it is offical that Darren Collison is the starter

Pacers#1Fan
10-01-2010, 11:25 AM
You might not like the way he plays but you have to respect this kind of attitude.

Pacers4Life
10-01-2010, 12:03 PM
links been psoted i think...

Day-V
10-01-2010, 12:37 PM
O'Brien? Stubborn?

Get out of here.

90'sNBARocked
10-01-2010, 12:38 PM
You might not like the way he plays but you have to respect this kind of attitude.

I agree 110% he has been classy the whole way

JonnyB83
10-01-2010, 01:14 PM
I think the funny part is TJ tweeted a link to this article...

Sookie
10-01-2010, 02:03 PM
He has been classy.

I still don't want him teaching Darren or AJ anything.

And he's right about getting the money he deserved. But truly, he could probably make more this season, if we gave him something like a 6 Million buyout and he got picked up by a team. (Which I'm sure he would)

pacers74
10-01-2010, 02:08 PM
He has a really good attitude. I know if I was him I would not be so positive.
With Collison and AJ what kind of minutes do think TJ will get? 5-10 minutes maybe.

docpaul
10-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Reading this article makes my day.

It reinforces that Ford will not be a cancer on the team this year.

It reaffirms that he most definitely is coming off the bench and also helping support the rookies.

It also strongly suggests that we will get some semblance of value out of him during the year, as he's now happy... he will likely do his best to shine while playing, and will likely put up good numbers, making him trade fodder.

I love contract years... he's gotta behave, or else he's not going to get paid. :)

duke dynamite
10-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Must be a slow news day when we have two threads on the main board dedicated to TJ Ford.

Unclebuck
10-01-2010, 02:44 PM
yeah, this is basically the exact same article that Mike Wells wrote this morning

ChristianDudley
10-01-2010, 03:55 PM
I do happen to agree T.J. and I think most everybody in the world would...why take less money from working that what has already been guaranteed to you? Put yourself in his position and then you see why no buyout was reached. I'd love to get him off the team, but I can see why we'll have to trade him to get rid of him during this season.

BlueNGold
10-01-2010, 11:20 PM
TJ deserves the contract price because that's the deal that was made. Also, he has earned everyone's respect by the way he has handled a difficult situation. I seriously doubt I would handle it that well.

I am actually proud that he is on the team. I think this is one area that he can teach most of our players...and other players throughout the NBA.

judicata
10-01-2010, 11:35 PM
He has been classy.

I still don't want him teaching Darren or AJ anything.

I think that is just silly. TJ has a lot of skills. DC and AJ have enough of a head on their shoulders to use him as both a powerful resource and a cautionary tale. He can teach them the strong parts off his game and all the non-ball related nuances that he has excelled at thus far, as evidenced by this thread and the way we feel about him.

I don't want them to play exactly like TJ, but they ought to listen closely when he speaks.

Sookie
10-02-2010, 12:02 AM
I think that is just silly. TJ has a lot of skills. DC and AJ have enough of a head on their shoulders to use him as both a powerful resource and a cautionary tale. He can teach them the strong parts off his game and all the non-ball related nuances that he has excelled at thus far, as evidenced by this thread and the way we feel about him.

I don't want them to play exactly like TJ, but they ought to listen closely when he speaks.

simply, I disagree (in terms of basketball) if the TJ I saw last season was the actual TJ. (and seeing as he has been benched before..)

He's a good scorer. He's just not a good PG, imo.

edit: I take that back, he can teach Darren his free throw jumper. :P

TooBigNdaPaint
10-02-2010, 05:44 PM
TJ has always been a scoring PG. On another team, he'd probably be an excellent backup and/or another scoring option. Not sure if he's starter material because of his smallish size. I have never really cared for small PGs in the NBA. Once in awhile, a Chris Paul comes around but most small PGs can't hold their own on defense against the bigger PGs in this league. There are just too many talented BIG point guards like John Walls, Deron Williams, Derrick Rose, etec. etec. who make these little guys 'obsolete' or situational players.

To be honest, I don't see DC as any different than TJ. They both have similar games. I only hope that he's less stubborn than TJ and at least tries to play JOB's offense the he designed it. In JOB's offense, he wants his PG to get the ball up the court as fast as possible and, if an open shot is NOT available, pass the ball to a facilitator like Hibbert or McBob. If the ball reverses or comes back to the PG, the PG's job is to break down his man and get into the lane. Once in the lane, the PG has to take the shot (but ONLY if it's open or not defended well) or pass the rock to the open 3pt shooter (which is JOB's preference) . And, all of this must happen as the shot clock in winding down to zero.

BornReady
10-02-2010, 05:54 PM
TJ has always been a scoring PG. On another team, he'd probably be an excellent backup and/or another scoring option. Not sure if he's starter material because of his smallish size. I have never really cared for small PGs in the NBA. Once in awhile, a Chris Paul comes around but most small PGs can't hold their own on defense against the bigger PGs in this league. There are just too many talented BIG point guards like John Walls, Deron Williams, Derrick Rose, etec. etec. who make these little guys 'obsolete' or situational players.

To be honest, I don't see DC as any different than TJ. They both have similar games. I only hope that he's less stubborn than TJ and at least tries to play JOB's offense the he designed it. In JOB's offense, he wants his PG to get the ball up the court as fast as possible and, if an open shot is NOT available, pass the ball to a facilitator like Hibbert or McBob. If the ball reverses or comes back to the PG, the PG's job is to break down his man and get into the lane. Once in the lane, the PG has to take the shot (but ONLY if it's open or not defended well) or pass the rock to the open 3pt shooter (which is JOB's preference) . And, all of this must happen as the shot clock in winding down to zero.

I'm pretty sure DC has better court vision than TJ. The astounding number of times TJ jumps up in the air without knowing what to do is astounding. I'm also fairly certain that DC distributes the ball FAR more than TJ. I don't think their games are similar in the least bit, aside from the fact that they're both small and fast. Oh yea, DC plays pretty good defense too.

Edit: I'd also like to refer you to this thread regarding JOB's system.
http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=56694&highlight=system

Anthem
10-02-2010, 08:08 PM
The astounding number of times TJ jumps up in the air without knowing what to do is astounding.
The first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club.

EDIT: Found it.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/honor_societies.png

TooBigNdaPaint
10-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the link. DC appears to have a better basketball IQ than TJ from playing at UCLA and he has benefited greatly from playing with Chris Paul. He also has the benefit of learning from TJ firsthand what JOB expects and the challenges to your PG mindset when playing this unorthodox offensive style. DC, himself, admits that it is a great challenge NOT having the ball in his hands as the PG. Yes, JOB has stated that he will install a few PnR's for DC (but this will probably happen ONLY if the team has trouble scoring points). I suspect when the game is being 'closed out' in the 4th Qtr and it's real close, JOB may go to the PnR with either Hibbert and Danny or DC. If he's smart, he'll go with DC and Hibbert to get a good shot at the rim and the foul. Danny will definitely chuck a three pt shot for the win (and glory). We all saw HOW that normally turns out. Smart teams like the Heat and Boston and Orlando will use the PnR in the waning minute and go strong to the rim (where they will score and draw) and win the game with smirks on their faces and their bench players talking trash. Let's US be the smart guys for a change and reverse the tables on these chumps...Go Pacers!!!