PDA

View Full Version : A late 80's Pacers/Bulls recap: Reggie's first big NBA shot....

Kstat
10-01-2010, 05:47 AM
Just got done watching it. Great game.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198711140CHI.html

To summarize....

-Bulls up 100-96 with 15 seconds left, Jordan forces Reggie into a bad shot, Horace Grant rebounds and is fouled, and Eddie Douchette (the Pacer TV PBP guy) says, and the Bulls are going to win the ballgame. Bulls fans are seen piling out of Chicago stadium by the hundreds as Grant steps to the FT line.

-Grant proceeds to miss both FTs, Jordan leaves Reggie this time to play free safety in the passing lanes, Fleming finds Reggie with a cross-court pass, Reggie pump-fakes and Jordan flies a good 3-4 feet past him trying to recover, and Miller hits a three with 4 seconds left. Eddie Douchette says, ba-boom baby!. Yeah, he said it twice.

-Charles Oakley, apparently not taking his meds prior to that game, immediately fires the inbounds pass to...actually, I'm not sure. Pippen was in the area, but it landed closer to Doug Collins, some 60 feet down the court, without touching anybody. No time off the clock, Pacer ball, 110-109 Chicago.

-Inbounding underneath Chicago's basket, this time both Jordan and Rory Sparrow hesitate toward Reggie backing away off of a screen toward the top of the arc, and completely lose sight of the guy setting the screen, Chuck person, who couldn't be more wide open on the baseline. Douchette does his best Tommy Heinson impersonation, not even bothering to call the play. before the ball even touches Person's hands, he's screaming, Hit it Chuck! Hit it Chuck! Please hit it Chuck!.

-Person makes the 17-footer with 2 seconds left. 111-110, Indiana. That's 5 points in 2 seconds. Person does a celebratory shimmy so absurd that I can only conclude a 12-year old Antoine Walker was watching this game somewhere on TV.

(side note, as they show the huddle in the timeout, there is nothing uglier than Greg Drieling in really, really short shorts...)

-Jordan manages to shake free of two Pacers, but misses a long jumper at the buzzer.

Jordan finishes with 37, 5, 5 and 4, but Reggie Miller scores 20 off the bench on 9/12 shooting, and gets named player of the game. No idea if this was his first player of the game performance, but it's a solid bet.

PacersAllDay
10-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Person does a celebratory shimmy so absurd that I can only conclude a 12-year old Antoine Walker was watching this game somewhere on TV.

That's one of the greatest things I've ever read.

Kstat
10-01-2010, 03:46 PM
eh, I tried....

Brad8888
10-01-2010, 03:58 PM
eh, I tried....

:laugh::dance::laugh::dance::laugh::dance::laugh:

No, sir, you didn't simply try. You succeeded!

A line worthy of becoming a signature for somebody. Well done!

Thanks for the entire original post, too!

count55
10-01-2010, 04:04 PM
I remember watching that game when it happened. I was still living at home, finishing college, and watched it in my room. I turned it off after the foul on Grant. Next thing I know, my brother and sister are both yelling. I didn't believe 'em.

Whenever I remember watching those games old games in Chicago stadium, it seems that the place was always ridiculously dark.

The other game I remember from Chicago Stadium would have been from two years before that. Quinn Buckner was playing the point, and he was bringing the ball up the floor. As he crossed half court, coach George Irving comes up near half court and starts giving him instructions. Buckner stands there dribbling the ball absentmindedly while engrossed in a discussion with Irvine.

Kyle Macy stand there for a second, looks at the two of them, then walks up and takes the dribble away from Buckner. The kicker was that it took Quinn a second to realize what happened, so Macy had a head start heading down the court. Buckner got there just after Macy released a 3 pointer, and slapped him on the arm. Four-point play.

avoidingtheclowns
10-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Normally I'd make an age-related joke here, but I genuinely feel bad about how old count is.

count55
10-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Normally I'd make an age-related joke here, but I genuinely feel bad about how old count is.

Careful...I've got racing stripes on my walker. I'll run you down.