PDA

View Full Version : JJ's option not picked up yet

Kegboy
08-16-2004, 05:02 PM
I find this rather surprising. Theoretically, it gives us some flexibility, but, as I've said, I don't think we're making any more moves, except maybe signing a big stiff from training camp.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_040816.html

Are Any Roster Spots Open?

Monday, Aug. 16, 2004

Q. Can you provide an overview of where the team stands today? Who's definitely on the roster? How many spots are available? Who's likely to get invited to training camp? (From Jim in Fort Wayne, IN)

A. At the moment, there are 13 players with fully guaranteed contracts. Returning from last year are Ron Artest, Jonathan Bender, Austin Croshere, Jeff Foster, Anthony Johnson, Fred Jones, Reggie Miller, Jermaine OíNeal, Scot Pollard and Jamaal Tinsley. Newly acquired veterans are Stephen Jackson (from Atlanta in a trade for Al Harrington) and Eddie Gill (free agent). First-round draft pick David Harrison also is under contract. The team has the option to pick up James Jonesí contract for 2004-05. Kenny Anderson and Jamison Brewer are free agents who in all likelihood will not be back with the team. In terms of free agency, the Pacers are over the salary cap but do have roughly half of the $5 million exception available to sign a veteran from another team. With 12 spots on the active roster and three on the injured list, there appears to be room for no more than two additional players to make the team Ė and thatís assuming management wants to pick up the tab for 15 guaranteed contracts. Based on the lackluster performance of the summer league team, few players distinguished themselves to earn certain training camp invitations. One free agent who did impress was Luke Recker, who could be invited back, although he expects to have other options.

Ragnar
08-16-2004, 05:12 PM
JJ was the one bright spot in the summer league games. That kid can shoot we need to keep him.

Lord Helmet
08-16-2004, 06:01 PM
Keep anyone who can shoot!

able
08-16-2004, 06:17 PM
JJ will be in trainingcamp.

JJ has a contract that guarantess his salary until December this year, if "picked up" before December 1, he can be "dropped", if not then his salary becomes guaranteed for the full season.

Roy Munson
08-16-2004, 06:21 PM
I don't think there's much of a role for JJ with the Pacers, but the pathetic US Olympic team could probably use him.

I would suggest that the USOC immediately make Richard "brick" Jefferson turn him his uniform and send him back home and give his spot on the roster to JJ or any other decent shooter from the NBA, CBA, or NCAA.

Hicks
08-16-2004, 06:27 PM
I think we'll keep JJ around.

Anthem
08-16-2004, 11:00 PM

I hope so. I like the kid.

Young
08-16-2004, 11:38 PM

I hope so. I like the kid.

Agreed.