PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Day 3

MyFavMartin
09-30-2010, 04:35 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2010/09/30/highlights100930-1427265/index.html

BornReady
09-30-2010, 04:37 PM
wait isn't it day 3? anyways, thanks for the post :D

edit: I still maintain that Posey is not a PF. I like Paul George, he looks good out there. Looks like he's got his offense going, which was something he could not do during summer league. I lol'd when Lance got mad that Collison scored and hit the table :D Hibbert did MUCH better today, and got the better of Solo. I'm starting to get intrigued by this McBob Hibbert combination. They've done some pretty nice stuff. I'm glad Lance isn't our future PG, although he looks good on offense. I'm also glad Magnum i starting to feel more comfortable playing. Rush seems to be asserting himself a lot more than he did last season, which is a positive sign. I hope Price gets some lift on his shot soon :)

MyFavMartin
09-30-2010, 04:37 PM
DC2 and Roy look really good... except for Roy's Ronald McDonald banana boat shoes. Lot more drive and kicks for open shots... me likey... Lots of DG feeding the big man in the low block and DC2 and Mac working the PnR.

Sookie
09-30-2010, 04:45 PM
I don't know whether it's just the highlights but...last couple of days it seems like Paul George gets a lot of steals, and Josh gets a lot of blocks.

Stephenson also played at SG today some.

Trader Joe
09-30-2010, 04:45 PM
TJ Ford's tweets have been downright...positive so far. Just strange.

BornReady
09-30-2010, 04:47 PM
TJ Ford's tweets have been downright...positive so far. Just strange.
haha I felt the exact same way, especially for someone who was dancing in front of his teammates at the prospect of being traded.

Sookie
09-30-2010, 04:48 PM
He's usually pretty friendly/positive on twitter. I think. In fact, I think he's been pretty good publically.

I also think he's going to end up starting at least in the begining of the season.

Trader Joe
09-30-2010, 04:50 PM
He's usually pretty friendly/positive on twitter. I think. In fact, I think he's been pretty good publically.

I also think he's going to end up starting at least in the begining of the season.

Collison has to start from Day 1 otherwise there will be major backlash.

Sookie
09-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Collison has to start from Day 1 otherwise there will be major backlash.

From who? The fans already dislike O'brien.

JOB will play who he wants. He'll come out with the "TJ played best in training camp, he's the vet, he should start" line. It's heading that way.

Trader Joe
09-30-2010, 04:53 PM

JOB will play who he wants. He'll come out with the "TJ played best in training camp, he's the vet, he should start" line. It's heading that way.

I doubt it. Bird will force him to start Collison.

cdash
09-30-2010, 04:54 PM

Let's not read too much into Obie and Ford having a nice little chat--Collison has to be the starter. TJ is saying/doing the right things to establish some sort of value, which I appreciate.

Sookie
09-30-2010, 04:55 PM
I doubt it. Bird will force him to start Collison.

We'll see..

I'm preparing myself for
TJ, Dun, Posey, Granger, Hibbert...or TJ, Dun, Granger, Foster, Hibbert.

I'll wait to get mad for when (okay if :P) it happens. But that's my prediction.

Trader Joe
09-30-2010, 04:57 PM
You don't trade for Darren Collison and then not start him so you can start TJ Ford. I don't care if Collison loses a limb between now and opening night, he'll be the starter if he can walk.

BornReady
09-30-2010, 04:57 PM
We'll see..

I'm preparing myself for

haha for once (and please don't take this offensively) I hope you are very wrong :D

Sookie
09-30-2010, 05:01 PM
You don't trade for Darren Collison and then not start him so you can start TJ Ford. I don't care if Collison loses a limb between now and opening night, he'll be the starter if he can walk.

Collison is not an established star or even starter. He's a second year talanted PG, who is newly aquired.

I'd rather he starts than TJ. I'd rather not see TJ playing in a Pacers uniform. (I wish him the best elsewhere) But the bottom line is, I think JOB really truly prefers experience over anything else. And TJ has it, and the other options do not.

I really really hope I'm wrong. But I think we'll see it happen. And if not opening day, than when/if (okay when :P) the Pacers lose a few in a row. (Or, Collison will start but TJ will finish..)

This obviously, isn't going to last. TJ will either get traded or get benched. But I think it'll be something that's tried.

graphic-er
09-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Gosh why would they show DC passing the ball to Granger when he wasn't paying attention and bouncing off his back for the turnover.

pacers74
09-30-2010, 05:09 PM
I would like to see Tyler runnning with the Blue squad. I think he would do well with DC2.

xBulletproof
09-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Collison, George and Granger looked good. George had 3 good plays on offense, and 1 bad one on defense, as expected. Collison just looks solid, period. Exactly what I expected considering I watched him extensively last year. Granger's passing into the post looked good. We've never thrown that many passes into Hibbert so I'd never seen him do it much. 2 of them I didn't even see much of a window to get the pass in there, but it was. Good stuff.

vnzla81
09-30-2010, 08:06 PM
We'll see..

I'm preparing myself for

I'll wait to get mad for when (okay if :P) it happens. But that's my prediction.

you are stealing my starting line up :-p

PacersAllDay
09-30-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm noticing in these videos Roy is doing a good job of grabbing rebounds and passes up high and keeping the ball high. There's been a few where he's caught it above his head and kept it up to finish, and others where he's rebounded it up high and snapped off an outlet from there.

I'm wondering if that's something Walton emphasized with him.

MyFavMartin
09-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Ford looked good, too.

Posey can hit the 3, so hence, JOB will confuse him for a PF.

Anthem
09-30-2010, 09:01 PM
McBob and Dunleavy both looked pretty good there. It'll be fun to watch them start the season.

For the first five games, at least, I'm expecting Roy/McBob/Granger/Dunleavy/Collison followed by Foster/Tyler/George/Lance/AJ. When Brandon comes back, I expect him to steal time from either Lance or AJ.

Barring an injury, I don't expect or want to see Solo, Magnum, Posey, Dahntay, or TJ.

Hicks
09-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Before Rush is back, I'm so far seeing:

Collison/Ford
Dunleavy/George
Granger/Posey
McRoberts/Hansbrough
Hibbert/Foster

On deck: AJ, Rush when he returns, Lance if he's still here
The rest: Solomon, Magnum, Dahntay

Well, one of those will be cut or traded by then, I guess.

Sookie
09-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Before Rush is back, I'm so far seeing:

Collison/Ford
Dunleavy/George
Granger/Posey
McRoberts/Hansbrough
Hibbert/Foster

On deck: AJ, Rush when he returns, Lance if he's still here
The rest: Solomon, Magnum, Dahntay

Well, one of those will be cut or traded by then, I guess.

I think that's how it'll happen, although as I said, McBob could be replaced in the starting lineup with Granger or Foster (or posey) and Collison and Ford can switch.

I'm going to hope that once AJ is healthy, he'll take Ford's place in the rotation. But I think we'll have to wait until Ford fully irritates O'brien. (January?)

pacer4ever
09-30-2010, 09:22 PM
I think that's how it'll happen, although as I said, McBob could be replaced in the starting lineup with Granger or Foster (or posey) and Collison and Ford can switch.

I'm going to hope that once AJ is healthy, he'll take Ford's place in the rotation. But I think we'll have to wait until Ford fully irritates O'brien. (January?)

you really think TJ could start after how bad he plays. lol he is a turnover machine who doesnt shoot well , pass well. all he does is dribble penatrate and sometimes makes decent plays. if he starts i would problly not watch the games till he is gone and for sure not go to the games i would sell my tickets.

Pacers4Life
09-30-2010, 10:14 PM
JAMES POSEY NOTE: Idk how i feel about him.. he seems to be viewed by most as a player who will only lengthen paul's (and/or Lance's) growth period... I however think he has looked SOLID and its making me wonder if theres a reeeally crucial.. clutch.. position on this squad for him.

I'm excited about what I see. Paul George is a slightly more athletic.. lankier version of Danny. Dude is silky. DC looks good.. got stopped at the rim and very next play got an and one... just what you'd expect.

OakMoses
09-30-2010, 10:30 PM
James Posey is knocking down a lot of top-o'-the-key 3-pointers in these videos.

pacer4ever
09-30-2010, 10:57 PM
JAMES POSEY NOTE: Idk how i feel about him.. he seems to be viewed by most as a player who will only lengthen paul's (and/or Lance's) growth period... I however think he has looked SOLID and its making me wonder if theres a reeeally crucial.. clutch.. position on this squad for him.

I'm excited about what I see. Paul George is a slightly more athletic.. lankier version of Danny. Dude is silky. DC looks good.. got stopped at the rim and very next play got an and one... just what you'd expect.

i just dont know why posey is needed Paul has the same range and is way more skilled and scary long and his D is really good as well

IUfan4life
09-30-2010, 11:51 PM
i just dont know why posey is needed Paul has the same range and is way more skilled and scary long and his D is really good as well

Because he came in the trade, and we aren't just going to cut him. He's a good player.

pacer4ever
09-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Because he came in the trade, and we aren't just going to cut him. He's a good player.

i relize that i was just trying to say paul should get his mintues

IUfan4life
09-30-2010, 11:55 PM

it is too early to be saying things like that.

BornReady
09-30-2010, 11:56 PM
James Posey is knocking down a lot of top-o'-the-key 3-pointers in these videos.

perhaps we haven't seen the end of the trailing 3s? :P

pacer4ever
09-30-2010, 11:57 PM
perhaps we haven't seen the end of the trailing 3s? :P

O NO hope we have! But i do like posey's stroke better than troy's his was really flat

BRushWithDeath
10-01-2010, 07:44 AM
O NO hope we have! But i do like posey's stroke better than troy's his was really flat

I was one of the biggest so called "Troy haters" on the board, but his stroke was never even close to being among the many reasons.

Trader Joe
10-01-2010, 08:43 AM
A trailing 3 pointer can still have its place in a complete and effective offensive game plan. It just shouldn't be one of your 5 most used plays.

count55
10-01-2010, 09:14 AM
A trailing 3 pointer can still have its place in a complete and effective offensive game plan. It just shouldn't be one of your 5 most used plays.

I would think that would entirely depend on whether you actually had 5 more effective plays.

Putnam
10-01-2010, 09:17 AM

Why not? And all I'm asking is why the open three from the top shouldn't be among a team's five most used plays.

SMosley21
10-01-2010, 09:36 AM

According to you, Paul George should be getting everyone's minutes. I can't wait to see what excuses you have for his poor performances, that will surely come early in the season. And if you're implying that rookie Paul George, who has never seen a single second of NBA court time against REAL competition (not the summer league BS), is a even close to as good a defensive presence as James Posey, who is known throughout the NBA as one of the very best defensive players in the league (even as he's gotten a little older), then you are simply out of your mind.

xtacy
10-01-2010, 10:04 AM
collison is starting to be my man crush.

if tj starts i might consider coming to indy and killing job. i'm very serious.

MyFavMartin
10-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Roy's got a good stroke and I'd rather him be the trailing guy... He's hit a few threes but it might be better if he took a step or two in.

pacer4ever
10-01-2010, 11:07 AM
According to you, Paul George should be getting everyone's minutes. I can't wait to see what excuses you have for his poor performances, that will surely come early in the season. And if you're implying that rookie Paul George, who has never seen a single second of NBA court time against REAL competition (not the summer league BS), is a even close to as good a defensive presence as James Posey, who is known throughout the NBA as one of the very best defensive players in the league (even as he's gotten a little older), then you are simply out of your mind.

only time will tell we will wait and see

Trader Joe
10-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Why not? And all I'm asking is why the open three from the top shouldn't be among a team's five most used plays.

It's just not my cup of tea, I'm not trying to say not top 5=bad, or that I dislike 3 pointers, I just think there are better, more effective ways of putting the ball in the hoop.

It has it's place and is a great way to catch people sleeping, but I wouldn't use it as much as we did with Troy.

imawhat
10-01-2010, 11:46 AM

Any time a specific 24 foot shot is in your top five plays, you've got a problem.

pacer4ever
10-01-2010, 11:49 AM

that is not good basketball we need higher % shots

imawhat
10-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Any time a specific 24 foot shot is in your top five plays, you've got a problem.

I should expand on this. Any time a trailing 24 foot shot is in your top five plays, you've got a problem.

If you're getting a wide open trailing three, it very likely means there's a breakdown in the defense. But not just a regular breakdown; a breakdown in transition. 'Attack' should be the first thought in that situation (imo), not 'designed play getting a guy a wide open three'. You can get one of those at almost any point in a possession (in case you didn't notice, Troy had no problem getting open threes despite being stationary).

CableKC
10-01-2010, 12:05 PM
I guess JO'B found his "stretch PF" :shrug:

dohman
10-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Finally had a chance to watch the Thursday footage.

A few things that stuck out.

Seems the past two years hibbert has been very dunk shy. Lots of lay ins instead of hard dunks. It appears his training this year has developed his fast twitch muscles quite a bit and his lateral quickness appears to be much better this season. I think I saw two very nice hard dunks from under the rim. This will be great for getting the crowd pumped.

mcroberts looked good out there. I don't care who are PF is as long as they play dirty and enforce the dont come into the paint rule. He was setting nice hard screens, playing good physical defense and hit his shots when he had them. Sometimes having a player like this in the lineup is better than some stud who only wants to call his own number. We need a dirty work guy and hopefully we have 2 this season at pf.

Mike looks good out there. I know its not full speed out there but his ability to put the ball on the floor and shoot are going to be very good for us now that we have a pg who can shoot. I love rush to death but without a consistent drive to the hoop players are going to force you to pass the ball right back to the pg. I saw what I have been looking for all last year. DC passed to mike. Mike pumped faked dribbled to his right and was going to take the lane when a help defender came over to stop. Then mike made the good pass back to DC for the three. That is going to help this season, last season it would of been ford to rush. rush would see if he could shoot if not it would be right back to ford. No real basketball movement towards the goal and no better position to score.

PG24 - His shot was falling compared to summer leagues. His threes looked smooth with good form. A few nice steals and a few nice blocks. He tends to bite on pump fakes trying to get the block because he is so gifted athletically. He will need to turn that down a notch during the season and try not to gamble quite as much.

Darren C. - Looked like a PG should. always looking for his teammates first. His head was always up and moving left to right trying to find a cutter or open man. Then he looked for his shot. Penetration into the lane was very very good with passes to the corners for threes.

rush - looked like... well rush. nothing special.

Lance - Looked amazing, I know its against TJ ford but he was hitting threes, driving to the hole and scoring around hibbert and josh. I am really hoping he can turn into a very good 2 guard. I do not think he is the type of player I would want running the team because his shot selection is questionable but he has a lot of confidence. It appears he has the mindset of I do not care who you put in front of me. I will score.

-------------------------------

Just off this one video and take it for what its worth since its just a preseason practice. But I can personally say the best looking player out there is our second round pick lance. He just did what ever he wanted out there. I am really wanting to see a lineup this season of dc - lance - pg24- Danny - and Hilbert. Even if its just for a few minutes. That would be a VERY athletically gifted team with the ability to shoot and drive the hole from almost every position.

BillS
10-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Finally had a chance to watch the Thursday footage.

A few things that stuck out.

Seems the past two years hibbert has been very dunk shy. Lots of lay ins instead of hard dunks. It appears his training this year has developed his fast twitch muscles quite a bit and his lateral quickness appears to be much better this season. I think I saw two very nice hard dunks from under the rim. This will be great for getting the crowd pumped.

excellent!

mcroberts looked good out there. I don't care who are PF is as long as they play dirty and enforce the dont come into the paint rule. He was setting nice hard screens, playing good physical defense and hit his shots when he had them. Sometimes having a player like this in the lineup is better than some stud who only wants to call his own number. We need a dirty work guy and hopefully we have 2 this season at pf.

Say "play HARD" and I agree. Playing dirty isn't something we need.

Just off this one video and take it for what its worth since its just a preseason practice. But I can personally say the best looking player out there is our second round pick lance. He just did what ever he wanted out there. I am really wanting to see a lineup this season of dc - lance - pg24- Danny - and Hilbert. Even if its just for a few minutes. That would be a VERY athletically gifted team with the ability to shoot and drive the hole from almost every position.

A small lineup?

:onozomg::onozomg:

count55
10-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Say "play HARD" and I agree. Playing dirty isn't something we need.

He actually said:

We need a dirty work guy and hopefully we have 2 this season at pf.

From which I assumed rebounding, picks, etc...not elbows and ****.

dohman
10-01-2010, 01:41 PM
just overall being physical.. I am not talking about elbows and dirty dirty play.

But overall just never stoping for rebounds, setting neck breaking picks. and hard fouls when players try to penetrate.

BillS
10-01-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't care who are PF is as long as they play dirty

But I'm willing to understand that as "get dirty" as opposed to "play dirty". I'm cool with that.

Speed
10-01-2010, 01:57 PM
I hope we continue to get scrimmage footage, you can't really tell much from it for sure, but it's fun to watch.

count55
10-01-2010, 01:58 PM
But I'm willing to understand that as "get dirty" as opposed to "play dirty". I'm cool with that.

Sorry - missed that.

dohman
10-01-2010, 02:01 PM
I just re read what I orginally wrote and I am horrible at typing what I mean. Very sorry about the confusion.

I just want a PF who is going to do what ever it takes to win. I want a dale davis mold

pacers74
10-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Hopefully Tyler can play the Dale Davis role, with a little more offense.

Putnam
10-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Times are hard, you're afraid to pay the fee
So you find yourself somebody who can play a little "D"
When you need a little hustle 'cause the ball in on the floor
He'll go diving in the grandstand, like a thousand times before.

Josh is gonna do your dirty work, Oh, yeah!
He won't shy away from dirty work, Oh, no!

When opponents run a fast break and they're getting near the rim
Then you need a power forward who is young and tall and slim
He'll leg it to the forecourt where he'll set up for the block
The other guy will shoot and he will bat away the rock!

Naptown_Seth
10-02-2010, 09:26 AM
I notice they are running a lot of Danny feeding Roy over the top from the left wing. At one point they run a nice play where after the feed they wait to see if Danny's man will come down in order to kick back to Danny. When he doesn't they have a rotation where Danny slides down to the baseline and Dun slides up from the opposite baseline to the high right side, basically mirroring the setup and looking to catch teams trying to avoid doubling from Granger.

Best Josh moment was near the end where he showed how lateral speed can turn a lame PG trap into an effective one.

I wouldn't have drafted George myself, at least where they did, but I am impressed with his defense. TBird made the case that Paul will be a big defensive impact and I'm believing it.

If Collison and Josh can give them the proper transition game boost, the improved perimeter defense could turn into a lot of easy points.

DC
Rush
George
Josh/Danny
Roy/Josh

could be a lineup that creates and converts a lot of TOs. This offense needs that kind of scoring crutch.

Naptown_Seth
10-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Times are hard, you're afraid to pay the fee
So you find yourself somebody who can play a little "D"
When you need a little hustle 'cause the ball in on the floor
He'll go diving in the grandstand, like a thousand times before.

When opponents run a fast break and they're getting near the rim
Then you need a power forward who is young and tall and slim
He'll leg it to the forecourt where he'll set up for the block
The other guy will shoot and he will bat away the rock!

He goes back, jacks, shoots the 3 again...

If only Josh wore #19, you could have had a field day.

Not to mention you passed on Christina's "Get Diirty" which is probably a tad more appropriate for NBA fire-you-up music.

Naptown_Seth
10-02-2010, 09:33 AM
I would think that would entirely depend on whether you actually had 5 more effective plays.
Wow, I think I went through all the stages of grief on that one, or something like that...

:laugh:

:hmm:

:-o

:cry:

:mad:

:alcohol:

TooBigNdaPaint
10-02-2010, 10:03 AM
I notice they are running a lot of Danny feeding Roy over the top from the left wing. At one point they run a nice play where after the feed they wait to see if Danny's man will come down in order to kick back to Danny. When he doesn't they have a rotation where Danny slides down to the baseline and Dun slides up from the opposite baseline to the high right side, basically mirroring the setup and looking to catch teams trying to avoid doubling from Granger.

Best Josh moment was near the end where he showed how lateral speed can turn a lame PG trap into an effective one.

I wouldn't have drafted George myself, at least where they did, but I am impressed with his defense. TBird made the case that Paul will be a big defensive impact and I'm believing it.

If Collison and Josh can give them the proper transition game boost, the improved perimeter defense could turn into a lot of easy points.

DC
Rush
George
Josh/Danny
Roy/Josh

could be a lineup that creates and converts a lot of TOs. This offense needs that kind of scoring crutch.

Danny's only good at the four with Josh playing the five and only if we're playing SMALL ball cuz we're getting our butts beat in the paint and on the glass.

I'd like to see more of 6'5" Lance Stephenson in games backing up DC cuz he'll need game experience when he matches up against the bigger PGs (who are 6'3" - 6'5") in the league. If JOB foolishly leaves DC in these games for too many minutes, it'll create a serious MISMATCH problem for the Pacers and these teams will definitely exploit it.

My lineup for DEFENSE to dictate our OFFENSE would be:

DC/Lance
Rush/George
Danny/Dun-Dun (7-9 minutes only unless he gets hot and never on the court with another slow twitch player)
Josh/Magnum Rolle
Hibbert/Solo

Situational:

TJ (backup to DC if Lance moves to SG; future trade-bait)
AJ (backup and situational player;marginal shooter)
Dahntay (trade-bait; can't shoot the 3pt for a SF)
Hans (playing time is based on health, practice, and preseason results)
Foster (situational player; can't shoot it