PDA

View Full Version : Knicks have deal available to get a no. 1 draft pick

cdash
09-30-2010, 03:55 PM
From Chris Sheridan's Twitter feed:

Source tells me the NY Knicks have a deal available to acquire a No. 1 draft pick in 2011 for use in a C.Anthony trade, if talks revived.

When I read it, I immediately thought it was the Pacers' draft pick. I think we have left a first round pick for Anthony Randolph trade on the table for the Knicks. What do you guys think?

Strummer
09-30-2010, 03:58 PM
I agree... But I hate trading draft picks, it takes most of the fun out of draft day...

vnzla81
09-30-2010, 04:01 PM
From Chris Sheridan's Twitter feed:

When I read it, I immediately thought it was the Pacers' draft pick. I think we have left a first round pick for Anthony Randolph trade on the table for the Knicks. What do you guys think?

This would mean that the pacers are helping New York to be contenders and in exchange for that pacers should get more IMO.

pacers101
09-30-2010, 04:02 PM
I think you might be right. I remember reports during the summer that we had tried to acquire Randolph for a future 1st but that Donnie turned it down. Im sure he would do this deal now if he knew that the Knicks would be able to get Carmelo with our first.

90'sNBARocked
09-30-2010, 04:05 PM
I doubt it

In the rummored proposed trade a couple weeks ago , we had offered a number 1 for Anthony Randolph , and Walsh declined

So not sure what has changed, unless Donnie resisted the urge to trade Randolph, but now might have a committment from the Nuggets that if they obtain a probable high number 1 (like the Pacers might have next year) then that will be part of a package that brings Melo to NYC

BornReady
09-30-2010, 04:05 PM
yea that's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw that

Peck
09-30-2010, 04:06 PM
In all honesty I would rather just go into the season with what we have and see how it shakes out.

90'sNBARocked
09-30-2010, 04:09 PM
In all honesty I would rather just go into the season with what we have and see how it shakes out.

Normally, I would say yes as well, but

We will probably be just good enough to miss the playoffs and another pick in the 10-14 range

I would take Randolph over what would likely be available

vnzla81
09-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Normally, I would say yes as well, but

We will probably be just good enough to miss the playoffs and another pick in the 10-14 range

I would take Randolph over what would likely be available

Randolph is not going to change that record, like Peck said I rather go with the team we have now unless you can use that pick to get an established power forward.

Trader Joe
09-30-2010, 04:15 PM
I agree... But I hate trading draft picks, it takes most of the fun out of draft day...

You know what's more fun than draft day?

Being competitive.

Ozwalt72
09-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Randolph is not going to change that record, like Peck said I rather go with the team we have now unless you can use that pick to get an established power forward.

It's not about what Randolph does this year. It's about what Randolph does with the core of Collison, Granger, George and Hibbert in the upcoming years. Randolph's still a project....but has some serious skill.

Sookie
09-30-2010, 04:18 PM
anyway we can get rid of TJ with this deal?

90'sNBARocked
09-30-2010, 04:19 PM

That may be true, but thats pure speculation

Also there is a reason Donnie is/was trying to hold on to him. If we get Randolph we get someone who can contribute right NOW, as opposed to likely drafting a PF that might take years to develop, and not be as good as Randolph is right now.

90'sNBARocked
09-30-2010, 04:20 PM
anyway we can get rid of TJ with this deal?

Am I the only one who thinks if Tj gets the right system, he is stil a very good PG? I mean in his first three years in the league his teams made the playoffs

pacers74
09-30-2010, 04:22 PM
I hope we get in on this deal and get Randolph. but I think NY is trying to get a first for Chandler.

MLB007
09-30-2010, 04:25 PM
I like Randolph and I wouldn't pee on that deal.
But what if Tyler is healthy and stakes a claim to the spot?
What if Josh is a decent backup?
What if PG is so good that Danny HAS to play more 4?

In any of those scenerios we end up wishing we have that 1st round pick back I think.
If they all happen, we've got no minutes and wasted a #1 pick.

Sit tight and let the season happen as is.
We've got a #1 and a lot of money next offseason when we KNOW what we really need.
JMO

ZepZach
09-30-2010, 04:31 PM
I would Love to get randolph. The PF position would suddenly become one of the teams strengths because of the depth. I think TJ will be a great second unit PG, so I'm not sure who we would get rid of.

Sookie
09-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Am I the only one who thinks if Tj gets the right system, he is stil a very good PG? I mean in his first three years in the league his teams made the playoffs

If the system doesn't involve him making decisions, possibly.

TJ's a terrible decision maker though, which I personally find...well I think that's a problem. He also can't really make a shot past the free throw line. He also tends to make the same mistakes over and over and over...

I'm sure you could tailor a system for his skills and that hide his weaknesses, but he's not a good enough player to do that for.

pacers74
09-30-2010, 04:41 PM

In any of those scenerios we end up wishing we have that 1st round pick back I think.

We've got a #1 and a lot of money next offseason when we KNOW what we really need.
JMO

Any of these scenarios is best case for us. I would rather have too much talent than not enough. If Tyler turns out to be a stud and McBob turns into a descent player, than TPTB will have to decide if we trade one of them or Randolph. Randolph could become a stud and be a great starting PF for an up tempo team.
Who knows, but if we could get Randolph for a first you have to jump all over it.

BornReady
09-30-2010, 04:43 PM

JMO

These scenarios would be very nice, but don't you feel like you're basing this on too many "what if's?"

cdash
09-30-2010, 04:52 PM
I doubt it

In the rummored proposed trade a couple weeks ago , we had offered a number 1 for Anthony Randolph , and Walsh declined

So not sure what has changed, unless Donnie resisted the urge to trade Randolph, but now might have a committment from the Nuggets that if they obtain a probable high number 1 (like the Pacers might have next year) then that will be part of a package that brings Melo to NYC

Well, nothing has changed, really. All this means is that the deal is still on the table from the Pacers, they are still willing to do it if New York changes their mind. That's how I took it anyway.

DGPR
09-30-2010, 05:08 PM
If Carmelo goes to New York, then getting through the playoffs becomes that much more tough. I'd still trade our #1 for Randolph in order to see a young, athletic, and promising team, because eventually they could compete with Miami, New York, Boston, and Orlando.

pacers74
09-30-2010, 05:13 PM
If Carmelo goes to New York, then getting through the playoffs becomes that much more tough. I'd still trade our #1 for Randolph in order to see a young, athletic, and promising team, because eventually they could compete with Miami, New York, Boston, and Orlando.

I know what you mean. I would rather Melo go to New Orleans, or Houston. Just some place out west.

xBulletproof
09-30-2010, 05:17 PM
I'd rather stand pat than to trade for Anthony (I want a big fat extension that nobody believes I've earned except me) Randolph.

Or something along those lines.

PacersPride
09-30-2010, 05:44 PM
I really do not like the idea of giving up a first round pick. However, if trading our first makes us a playoff team, then im for it. If not then we need to keep the pick or at least protect it if it turns out to be top 3.

Therefore, does trading a first in exchange for Randolph make us a playoff team this upcoming season?

Second question is.. if we add Randolph we now have to cut two players, and who are those two players going to be? TJ and Solo I suppose are the players and thats nearly 10 million were essentially burning. If the knicks take on TJ and Nuggets take on Solo, then it would make sense to trade a first for Randolph.

It still concerns me giving up a first, not sure who will be available next year in the draft but reports are the draft is deep.

Again, trading for Randolph needs to make us a playoff team or this might be a bad move for us.

pg: DC, AJ, Stephenson
sg: Dun, Rush, Jones
sf: Granger, PG, Posey
pf: Randolph, Hansbro, McBob
c: Hibbs, Foster, Rolle

if healthy that does look like a playoff team.

DrFife
09-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Can someone persuasively argue that Randolph has become a PF?

Also, might we instead want to keep that #1 as a potential bargaining chip next summer for ... Greg Oden??

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/09/30/nbas-deadline-on-rookie-contract-extensions-pushed-back/

by Chris Tomasson
Fanhouse

"Nov. 1, for instance, is the deadline for Portland to decide whether to sign Greg Oden, the top pick in the 2007 draft, to a contract extension or allow him to become a restricted free agent next summer. Due to Oden's numerous injuries, most recently a knee injury that finished him for the season last December, it's not expected such an extension will be signed."

Dece
09-30-2010, 06:18 PM
I don't know anything about this crop of college players, but the pertinent question would be: if you were drafting 11-16 and Randolph was on the board, would you take him? If yes, trade, if not, don't.

We aren't going to be much better or worse with or without him this year.

Sookie
09-30-2010, 06:25 PM
I don't know anything about this crop of college players, but the pertinent question would be: if you were drafting 11-16 and Randolph was on the board, would you take him? If yes, trade, if not, don't.

remember this draft if most likely going to be watered down a bit because of the possibility of a lockout.

Psyren
09-30-2010, 06:25 PM

Also, might we instead want to keep that #1 as a potential bargaining chip next summer for ... Greg Oden??

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/09/30/nbas-deadline-on-rookie-contract-extensions-pushed-back/

by Chris Tomasson
Fanhouse

"Nov. 1, for instance, is the deadline for Portland to decide whether to sign Greg Oden, the top pick in the 2007 draft, to a contract extension or allow him to become a restricted free agent next summer. Due to Oden's numerous injuries, most recently a knee injury that finished him for the season last December, it's not expected such an extension will be signed."

I wouldn't want to give anything more than a scrub for Oden. At this point, that's all Oden is to me. He can't stay healthy, so he's essentially useless.

If he were to get healthy, that'd be a different story.

BornReady
09-30-2010, 06:29 PM

A few months ago I would have been right on board with you in this reasoning, but after the trade for Collison, I'm inclined to say its more complicated than that. We could have ended up with Maynor and whoever in the 20s, still had Troy, instead of Paul George, Posey,and Collison. That also being said, I can't help but feel Anthony Randolph is on the verge of a breakout season, and I'd like to have him. Yes, I would give up a 1st round pick for him.

On another note, GUYS THIS IS MY 1000TH POST! I would like to thank my friends and family...jk. But I really do enjoy conversing with all of you guys and think this is a wonderfully run forum :) May there be many thousands more!

Cheers! :cheers:

ZepZach
09-30-2010, 06:35 PM
I gotta say, if we got Randolph, I would be doing this :dance::dance::dance:

Psyren
09-30-2010, 06:41 PM

I agree entirely. I expect a pick right around 11-16 next year like you said.

And at this point, I believe Randolph to be better than anyone we'd acquire at that point.

Only drawback is I don't like Randolph's attitude problem.

vnzla81
09-30-2010, 06:52 PM
I gotta say, if we got Randolph, I would be doing this :dance::dance::dance:

Even though I don't think that a 1st round pick has much value next year, I would not give up that pick for Randolph I don't think he is an improvement over Hans or Josh.

CableKC
09-30-2010, 06:59 PM

by Chris Tomasson
Fanhouse

I'd live with Hibbert and whatever we can get with our draft pick then send the 1st rounder for Oden.

MLB007
09-30-2010, 07:37 PM
These scenarios would be very nice, but don't you feel like you're basing this on too many "what if's?"

I think one of those three things happening is very likely.
I wouldn't be surprised if two of the three happened.
I would tinkle down my leg with delight if all three did. :eek:

IUfan4life
09-30-2010, 07:44 PM

for once we agree

Justin Tyme
09-30-2010, 07:45 PM
remember this draft if most likely going to be watered down a bit because of the possibility of a lockout.

This draft has ALREADY been watered down from all the underclassman who declared for last years draft. Put that with with the lockout and this draft will be more than "watered down a bit."

If the Pacers are going to trade a 1st, then the 011 draft should be the one.

MLB007
09-30-2010, 07:47 PM
We've got a LOT of questions about players to find out this year. Lots of guys with POTENTIAL that need to fulfill some of that now. This team, as assembled, will get minutes for the guys that we need to find out about.
If some of those guys fulfill their promise and become more consistant,this will be a good team.
As configured.

What's been a weakness in past years (point guard, power forward) MIGHT be a strength, and visa versa, with injuries or whatever.

Find the real, true weakness's AS THEY PLAY OUT in real games this year.
This is a building team that needs to keep that perspective as much as possible while still winning games.
Then use the #1 and all that money to plug the holes.
Don't lose flexibility now on what's been a weakness that MIGHT not be there in the future.
Larry's been awfully patient thus far and it's worked very well for us I think.
Unless they are just in love with Randolph I don't see them trading next years pick that could be a huge one for us.

MLB007
09-30-2010, 07:50 PM
This draft has ALREADY been watered down from all the underclassman who declared for last years draft. Put that with with the lockout and this draft will be more than "watered down a bit."

If the Pacers are going to trade a 1st, then the 011 draft should be the one.

Some really good point guards out there.
What if AJ rehurts knee?
What if Collison has sophomore-itis?
We can't count our chickens yet. :o

Justin Tyme
09-30-2010, 07:55 PM
I have no problem trading the 011 pick, but not for Randolph. I would definately trade the 011 1st, and whatever matches salarywise(Rush) for Jason Thompson. I'd even throw a future 2nd round pick and Lorbek/Stanko. Jason Thompson is a better player than Randolph. Besides I can refer to him as JT.

bballpacen
09-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Second question is.. if we add Randolph we now have to cut two players, and who are those two players going to be? TJ and Solo I suppose are the players and thats nearly 10 million were essentially burning. If the knicks take on TJ and Nuggets take on Solo, then it would make sense to trade a first for Randolph.

We could trade Solo and a first for Anthony, and only have one player to cut. You could expand the deal to bring us Curry as well, then we just buy him out/cut him/ect... He is owed only about 7M more this season, including a trade kicker... (http://http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69364/20100930/currys_salary_already_50_percent_paid/) (http://http//www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69364/20100930/currys_salary_already_50_percent_paid/)

Doing such a deal could even save us some more money this year, and get us below the LT...

Having said that, I dont think that the deal that is lined up is with us... I wish it were, as I would be ecstatic to get Randolf....

Anthem
09-30-2010, 08:00 PM
There's a difference between "A no. 1 draft pick" and "a first-round pick."

tsm612
09-30-2010, 08:12 PM
I doubt it

Carmelo wasn't part of the trade you are thinking of. The proposed trade from a few weeks ago would have essentially been the Knicks trading Anthony Randolph for Rudy Fernandez. If this went down, the Knicks would be trading Anthony Randolph (and whatever other assets) for Carmelo Anthony. That's what changed.

pwee31
09-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Yeah tsm612 is correct. The Pacers were offering 1st round pick for Anthony Randolph, and it was rumored to be for Fernandez and Walsh declined.

Of course a deal for Melo would make that 1st round pick a lot more valuable, but without Randolph, I really don't see who else the Nuggets would really want from the Knicks? Gallanari, a 1st round pick and what?

vnzla81
09-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Yeah tsm612 is correct. The Pacers were offering 1st round pick for Anthony Randolph, and it was rumored to be for Fernandez and Walsh declined.

Of course a deal for Melo would make that 1st round pick a lot more valuable, but without Randolph, I really don't see who else the Nuggets would really want from the Knicks? Gallanari, a 1st round pick and what?

Curry expiring and somebody else maybe

IndyPacer
09-30-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm in no hurry to part with our draft pick unless we're sure we're getting a significant upgrade. I am intrigued by some of the prospects in the late lottery to mid-1st round, where we are probably going to be picking.

pwee31
09-30-2010, 09:02 PM

Yeah Curry's expiring deal will be likely, but Favors and 2 1st round picks with perhaps Ak-47 or another piece.

Gallanari and a 1st round pick plus Curry's expiring? Even if you toss in Chandler or something, I think the Nets deal is best unless money can be saved through the Knicks

pacer4ever
09-30-2010, 09:14 PM

curry contract is over half paid which would help the nuggets save lots of money

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69364/20100930/currys_salary_already_50_percent_paid/

Really?
09-30-2010, 09:22 PM

Most... you mean ALL the fun...

Gamble1
09-30-2010, 09:32 PM
I find it funny that people think we should now go into the season as is..... Really?

Some good news of Tyler's ear and all is well with the Pacers pf situation?

Why should we not trade for Randolf? He is a athletic pf who doesn't shoot the 3, drafted with the 14th pick and is not redundant to the pf's we have now.

The only knock I have on him is his defense.

Edit: IMO, there's been a lot of "as is" thinking going on the last 3 years and I am tired of it.

90'sNBARocked
09-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Carmelo wasn't part of the trade you are thinking of. The proposed trade from a few weeks ago would have essentially been the Knicks trading Anthony Randolph for Rudy Fernandez. If this went down, the Knicks would be trading Anthony Randolph (and whatever other assets) for Carmelo Anthony. That's what changed.

you are correct, but I was saying their intent on getting a high first round pick was to ultimately get Melo

pwee31
09-30-2010, 09:43 PM
rumor over at realgm states it's the Spurs trading a 1st for Wilson Chandler

No link or anything though

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1055921

90'sNBARocked
09-30-2010, 09:55 PM
rumor over at realgm states it's the Spurs trading a 1st for Wilson Chandler

No link or anything though

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1055921

With Richard Jefferson resigned for four years?

Could be , but I would think with an aging team they would hang on to the pick

pwee31
09-30-2010, 11:06 PM

It would likely be a late 1st round pick. Spurs have made the playoffs how many straight years? Chandler would be a nice piece for them, and is pretty young himself

pacer4ever
09-30-2010, 11:12 PM

wilson is 23 years old yonger than some NCAA players and way better than anthing you could get at the 25 range i really like this 4 the spurs . Normally the spurs draft someone to store in euro (but next years draft is really deep). but would denver really be excited about getting the 25th pick in the draft?? i would not i would rather take favors and most likey a teen pick from the nets. (if harris is traded 2 that is or maybe lower i dont think a core of murphy, Blopez and melo, twill, and jordon farmer would not be that great ).

PacersPride
10-01-2010, 12:27 AM
thing is melo holds the cards.. if he states he will not sign with the nets what options does that leave the nuggets.

also.. im thinking were not involved anyways b/c the knicks could trade randolph directly to the nuggets, why involve the pacers at all? obviously they are willing to take on a young pf like favors, so randolph cannot be too bad of a second option.

if a deal goes down where we land randolph for our first so be it.. but not gonna be dissapointed if it doesnt happen either.

Lance George
10-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Would the Spurs' 1st be enough to satisfy Denver? I would think they'd need something better seeing as how they're giving up one of the league's elite scorers.

CableKC
10-01-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm guessing that the following scenario is what's going to happen....

1 ) Melo is going to push to go to Chicago, ( maybe ) LAC or ( most likely ) NY. If he doesn't go to one of those places, he's going to b*tch and moan until he's traded or he's going to walk at the end of the season.
2 ) This means that the Nuggets would have to take whatever deal that the Bulls, Clips or the Knicks can offer them.

I bring this up only becuase I'm having difficulty figuring out what the best offer that the Knicks can offer to get Melo given the limited Assets that they have. What's worst is that if the offer isn't really fair trade value ( as in Randolph+Danillo+1st ( spurs )+Expiring for Melo ), I can still see Melo being a d*ck about it and forcing the Nuggets to take the deal.

Naptown_Seth
10-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Like MLB said, there are plenty of changes already and we don't know how those will shake out yet. Let's get an idea of where the areas of need are going to be before spending our assets.

cordobes
10-05-2010, 07:21 PM

I'd give it a try, but I'm not sure what you mean. You think Randolph is better at some other position?

Randolph is a poor player right now, but he's one of the most promising young players in the league. I'd easily trade a 1st round pick for him.

10-05-2010, 07:23 PM
This would mean that the pacers are helping New York to be contenders and in exchange for that pacers should get more IMO.

Agreed. The Knicks return on investment is so great it should cost them a little more in change.

On the other hand, I'm not certain this is the deal for our team. I love Anthony Randolph, but I don't know who would rebound in a lineup featuring he and Hibbert.

DGPR
10-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Agreed. The Knicks return on investment is so great it should cost them a little more in change.

On the other hand, I'm not certain this is the deal for our team. I love Anthony Randolph, but I don't know who would rebound in a lineup featuring he and Hibbert.

Hibbert would pick up the slack on rebounding because he won't have Murphy there to steal them.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................................:-p

cordobes
10-05-2010, 08:11 PM

Randolph posted rebounding rates of 17.5% and 16% during his first two years, for a career average of 16.9%. With his vertical quickness + quick second bounce, I'm expecting him to get better rebounding wise in the future once he puts more effort there and adds some weight. But he's already a fairly strong rebounder.

The only current Pacers player with a higher career average than Randolph is Jeff Foster (18.9%).

Tyler Hanbrough comes in second among the current roster with a career average of 14.7%. Other bigs: McRoberts - 13.9%, Hibbert - 12.7%, Jones -12.4%.

I think Randolph would improve the Pacers rebounding quite a bit.

10-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Randolph posted rebounding rates of 17.5% and 16% during his first two years, for a career average of 16.9%. With his vertical quickness + quick second bounce, I'm expecting him to get better rebounding wise in the future once he puts more effort there and adds some weight. But he's already a fairly strong rebounder.

The only current Pacers player with a higher career average than Randolph is Jeff Foster (18.9%).

Tyler Hanbrough comes in second among the current roster with a career average of 14.7%. Other bigs: McRoberts - 13.9%, Hibbert - 12.7%, Jones -12.4%.

I think Randolph would improve the Pacers rebounding quite a bit.

Thanks for the statistics. That is interesting to know. I am only familiar with his per game rebounding statistics and the are very poor. However, I suppose they do not tell the whole story.