PDA

View Full Version : Favorite non-productive Pacer of all-time?

Granville
08-16-2004, 03:34 PM
The departures of Primoz and Jamison this summer have caused heartache for some of the PD Family.

Even though neither player did much during his time with the Pacers, it is not unusual to have feelings for players like this. We all like to find a diamond in the rough and pull for them to become the stars we know they can be.

So that leads me to this question. Who is your all-time favorite Pacers player who never went on to contribute much to the team?

Mine is Leroy Combs, the forward out of Oklahoma State in the early 80's. I just knew he was going to be an all-star, and loved it everytime he got off the bench.

indygeezer
08-16-2004, 03:46 PM
NBA...Primoz

All-time?....Jay Miller 6'9 F...?3 seasons? during the ABA days. Went on to the FBI.

Granville
08-16-2004, 03:53 PM
I don't remember Jay, but this is exactly the kind of guy I'm talking about. What years did he play?

Vicious Tyrant
08-16-2004, 03:57 PM
Derrick Mckey...:laugh:

Granville
08-16-2004, 03:59 PM
:laugh:

MagicRat
08-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Kenny Williams....

indygeezer
08-16-2004, 04:28 PM
1968-71

http://www.remembertheaba.com/IndianaMaterial/PacersRosters2.html

Jose Slaughter
08-16-2004, 04:45 PM
Stuart Gray

Kegboy
08-16-2004, 04:49 PM
Scott Haskins. He gets a lot of crap for being a bust, but I've always felt it wasn't his fault Shaq screwed up his knee.

Of course, I could easily say PB or Siggy, but I'm still in denial that they're gone. :cry:
[edit=67=1092689486]

SkipperZ
08-16-2004, 04:50 PM
Do we consider Jonathan Bender to be non-productive?

Because if so, he would be mine.

Granville
08-16-2004, 04:59 PM
In addition to Leroy Combs, I also always liked Budha...Anthony Frederick.

ABADays
08-16-2004, 05:07 PM
Scot Pollard.

drewdawg
08-16-2004, 05:08 PM
Never went on to contribute much to the team...meaning the Pacers....then I would have to say Fred Hoiberg and Malik Sealy. I don't remember them doing much for the Pacers but have gone on to be productive other teams.

Sollozzo
08-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Eddie Johnson

Ragnar
08-16-2004, 05:14 PM
Sealy was fairly productive when he was here.

Kegboy
08-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Johnson was, too.

MSA2CF
08-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Don't anybody dare say Zan Tabak. :puke:

Toss-up between Tyus and Primoz.

edit: No, it's gotta be Primoz. :cry:

Lord Helmet
08-16-2004, 05:40 PM
Uhh my favorite is uhhhh Norm Richardson (Did he even play any?)I remember he was part of the blockbuster IND&CHI trade.

Hicks
08-16-2004, 05:56 PM
I suppose it'd have to be Primoz Brezec.

Lord Helmet
08-16-2004, 05:58 PM
I miss Primo:cry:

ROCislandWarrior
08-16-2004, 07:38 PM
Carlos Rogers

didn't the guy literally just disappear one day?

SycamoreKen
08-16-2004, 07:45 PM
Terence Stansbury.

Wait, he was a 3 time semi-finalist in the dunk contest when it really was a contest. Does that count as productivity?

MSA2CF
08-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Carlos Rogers

didn't the guy literally just disappear one day?

What a fool (Carlos)! He is my least favorite Pacers player, next to Jalen, of all time. :coach:

Doug in CO
08-16-2004, 08:01 PM
Terrence, statue of liberty, Stansbury

Does anyone have a picture of him doing this? I can't find one.

sixthman
08-16-2004, 08:09 PM
I'll second the nomination of JB. I love the kid and his potential, but let's face it, up to this point, he's been almost a non factor.

McThugg
08-16-2004, 09:04 PM
My 2 favorites would have to be Kenny Williams and Sean Green (Ionas' Micheal Jordan)

Granville
08-16-2004, 09:32 PM
I forgot about Sean Green! That's a good one.

Sollozzo
08-16-2004, 09:44 PM
what about John "hot plate" Williams

Bball
08-16-2004, 09:48 PM
I figured someone would mention Damon Bailey....

-Bball

ROCislandWarrior
08-16-2004, 09:54 PM
OT - Magic Rat, please tell me that is another one of your famous photoshop jobs...it is just to funny to be true

Sollozzo
08-16-2004, 10:12 PM
Damon Bailey never suited up in a Regular Season game. He is not on the alltime Pacers roster, he just played preseason games.

Granville
08-16-2004, 10:27 PM
OT - Magic Rat, please tell me that is another one of your famous photoshop jobs...it is just to funny to be true

That is a real sign. It is on 65 on the way to Louisville.

Here are some more players for you to consider...

Joe (Mr. Three Pointer) Hassett, John Kuester, Kenny Natt, Dyron Nix, and of course Jose Slaughter's favorite (I assume), Jose Slaughter.

Anthem
08-16-2004, 11:04 PM
I figured someone would mention Damon Bailey....

-Bball

Man, that freaks me out. Not only was I going to make a similar comment, I WAS GOING TO SAY THE EXACT SAME THING. As in, I was reading the thread and had my comment already written in my head. Word-for-word, man.

I'm frightened. :laugh:

Young
08-16-2004, 11:34 PM
I'm gonna say Jamison Brewer. He always seemed to make things happen with his energy.

I'll never forget a game vs the Bucks, when they had Gary Payton, Jamison came in and on like his first play he stole the ball from the glove himself. I'm like dang! Then in a game vs Miami this past season I remember his hustle really standing out for some reason, can't really remember why though. lol.

MagicRat
08-16-2004, 11:35 PM

That is a real sign. It is on 65 on the way to Louisville.

It is indeed real. It's always made me chuckle when I've driven past it, so I took that as I was driving by last weekend.....

I always liked Lester Connor's low-cut sneakers....

MagicRat
08-16-2004, 11:49 PM
Scott Haskins. He gets a lot of crap for being a bust, but I've always felt it wasn't his fault Shaq screwed up his knee.

About my only real memory of Haskin was after a preseason game (in Evansville, I think). Larry Brown was asked about Scott and he replied "He was so nervous I thought he was going to swallow his tongue."

At least that's how I remember it....

Vicious Tyrant
08-17-2004, 12:57 AM
Oooh, Granville, thanx for the memories.

Dyron Nix - one of the great sports names. Along with the great, great bball name - from U or Wyonming - Fennis Dembo. Anyone remember when Fennis' Wyoming team kicked Reggie's UCLA team in the butt? Was that the same year Ball State came within a whisker of beating UNLV?

ChicagoJ
08-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Non-productive? I'd say Herb and Clark, but I hated the fact that they couldn't do better than 9-9 when they played together in the Big Ten, so I always assumed they couldn't team up and beat NBA-caliber competition, anyway.

Favorite? Well, I've got a Kenny Williams jersey :blush: .

Another name that hasn't been mentioned was Ron Anderson. Ron was a fine backup SF, much better than Mike Sanders. After we lost Ron to Philly, Ron always made us pay for double-teaming Barkley. :mad:

3Ball
08-17-2004, 11:46 AM
Last year, it was Reggie Miller :grumble:

Peck
08-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Adrian Caldwell

To tell you how much both the pacers & the NBA have changed over the years Caldwell was released because after the mid way point of the season because he was considered a redundancy. We had several players who were large, took up space, play tough post defense & rebound. Today we have nobody like that.

I think if Adrian were on the team today he would be the 8th or 9th man off of the bench.

Unclebuck
08-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Adrian Caldwell

To tell you how much both the pacers & the NBA have changed over the years Caldwell was released because after the mid way point of the season because he was considered a redundancy. We had several players who were large, took up space, play tough post defense & rebound. Today we have nobody like that.

I think if Adrian were on the team today he would be the 8th or 9th man off of the bench.

I know this is a lighthearted thread.

But Peck your post demonstrates that you and I have a philosophical disagreement about what type of players are needed in todays NBA. And that disagreement is why we argue about Foster so much.

Peck
08-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Or there's no doubt about that.

I know we deeply disagree on both the center spot & the point guard spot.:swordfight:

However we at least agree that we like the Pacers:flirt:

ImReppinBtown
08-17-2004, 02:16 PM
I'm not too sure but I'm gonna have to say the Mayor (Fred Hoiberg) also.

Hey look what I found haha -

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/smits_motocross_030930.html

:hoosiers::pacers::colts:

Zesty
08-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Another vote for Fred "The Mayor" Hoiberg.

McThugg
08-17-2004, 09:30 PM
Did Spencer Dunkley (great bball name) ever make the team. I am pretty sure he was a 2nd rd. pick and he was in a couple of different training camps.

Shade
08-17-2004, 10:17 PM
JB would be my first choice. But I'm also fond of TIM-MAY!!!!! :pimp:

MSA2CF
08-17-2004, 10:18 PM
:laugh:

I enjoyed Hardaway's time here. He did quite well. :thumbsup:

Hoop
08-18-2004, 05:59 AM
Kenny Williams or Scott Skiles, can't decide.

PacerCrazy
08-18-2004, 09:04 AM
While he never made the team my favorite was the BIG O (Oliver Miller). I will never forget that he was sooo fat in the summer league that he split his pants, or they fell down. I can't remember but i DO remember praying he would make the team. I was VERY disappointed when he didn't. Otherwise, I got to pick BRUNO Sundov. I loved watching him play crap minutes and yelling GO BRUNO when we are up 20 points was a lot of fun! That and yelling put BRUNO in and we would start winning was another favorite phrase of mine!

PacerBlade
08-18-2004, 01:28 PM
Primozzzz

Skaut_Ech
08-18-2004, 02:39 PM
My Man Peck beat me to it. Hands down, Adrian Caldwell. He's still one of my all-time favorite Pacers. He had such a nasty attitude on the court. Yeah, it was redundant having him to an extent cause we had Dampier, the Davis and Smits at the time, (If I remember right), but what a redundancy!! He weighed like 260-270 pounds. I honestly didn't understand why we let him go.

I think you need a big brusier in the middle, especially in that era of the power center, as opposed to the afterthought that the position has become today.

I always like to bring up how Adrian would get Shaq so frustrated by actually pushing Shaq around when he first came into the league. :o

coming in a distant second for me was Jerry Sichting. I don't know why, I just liked the guy. I was never a Purdue fan, so at the time, believe it or not, I didn't know he was a Purdue Alum. There was just something Billy Keller-like about him.

But Adrian...ah Adrian...he was da man!

[And not to thread hijack, but I'm sooOo with Peck on the C position. I think part, and I say part, of the reason, the NBA is so fundamentals deficit is the disapperance of the dominant big man.

The dominant big man forced a team to have to develop a consistant mid-range shooting threat. Paint cloggers slowed down the hi-flying dunks that are so popular today.

But because the NBA is about flash now, the big, bruiser isn't wanted. He only slows down what the NBa has become. Two teams taking turns trying to grab a defensive rebound, then use their athleticism to run down the court fast as they can and get some kind of crowd pleasing dunk.:grumble:

The bruiser isn't wanted because then the Tracey McGrady's, Vinsanities and Iverson's wouldn't be able to pull their ball palming, ankle breaking moves, then slash to the basket in the ever more common game of 1 on 5 teams like to play.

Matter of fact, I found the new zone rule a few years ago funny. Who among you didn't take that as an off-handed acknowledgement of how far the game had gone from having a brusier control the paint and the NBA's way of trying to compensate? :plot:

The NBA has become about pleasing the fans with jacking up threes and back breaking dunks. Tell me I'm not the only one that sees a huge difference in how teams run the half court offense today as opposed to 7-8 years ago. Yeah the Knicks took it to an extreme, but I prefer that style to the style today hands down. :tongue:

The opening up of the middle by the demise of the BIG man, has helped turn the game into a contest of jacking up threes for those afraid to test defenses and a carte blanche for slashers. (i.e Jordan's style of play and the NBA's attempt to retain that excitement.)

Phew. Where'd that come from?! :irked::wtf::chuckle: ]

Jermaniac
08-18-2004, 03:44 PM
Primoz and JB

Peck
08-18-2004, 03:57 PM
My Man Peck beat me to it. Hands down, Adrian Caldwell. He's still one of my all-time favorite Pacers. He had such a nasty attitude on the court. Yeah, it was redundant having him to an extent cause we had Dampier, the Davis and Smits at the time, (If I remember right), but what a redundancy!! He weighed like 260-270 pounds. I honestly didn't understand why we let him go.

I think you need a big brusier in the middle, especially in that era of the power center, as opposed to the afterthought that the position has become today.

I always like to bring up how Adrian would get Shaq so frustrated by actually pushing Shaq around when he first came into the league. :o

coming in a distant second for me was Jerry Sichting. I don't know why, I just liked the guy. I was never a Purdue fan, so at the time, believe it or not, I didn't know he was a Purdue Alum. There was just something Billy Keller-like about him.

But Adrian...ah Adrian...he was da man!

[And not to thread hijack, but I'm sooOo with Peck on the C position. I think part, and I say part, of the reason, the NBA is so fundamentals deficit is the disapperance of the dominant big man.

The dominant big man forced a team to have to develop a consistant mid-range shooting threat. Paint cloggers slowed down the hi-flying dunks that are so popular today.

But because the NBA is about flash now, the big, bruiser isn't wanted. He only slows down what the NBa has become. Two teams taking turns trying to grab a defensive rebound, then use their athleticism to run down the court fast as they can and get some kind of crowd pleasing dunk.:grumble:

The bruiser isn't wanted because then the Tracey McGrady's, Vinsanities and Iverson's wouldn't be able to pull their ball palming, ankle breaking moves, then slash to the basket in the ever more common game of 1 on 5 teams like to play.

Matter of fact, I found the new zone rule a few years ago funny. Who among you didn't take that as an off-handed acknowledgement of how far the game had gone from having a brusier control the paint and the NBA's way of trying to compensate? :plot:

The NBA has become about pleasing the fans with jacking up threes and back breaking dunks. Tell me I'm not the only one that sees a huge difference in how teams run the half court offense today as opposed to 7-8 years ago. Yeah the Knicks took it to an extreme, but I prefer that style to the style today hands down. :tongue:

The opening up of the middle by the demise of the BIG man, has helped turn the game into a contest of jacking up threes for those afraid to test defenses and a carte blanche for slashers. (i.e Jordan's style of play and the NBA's attempt to retain that excitement.)

Phew. Where'd that come from?! :irked::wtf::chuckle: ]

:buddies: Needless to say I agree 100%

J-Wont
08-19-2004, 04:18 AM
Haywoode Workman

Peck
08-19-2004, 04:29 AM
Haywoode Workman

I really wouldn't consider Haywoode a non-productive Pacer at all. He was a starter. Then he was the first guard off of the bench & then if it wasn't for a career ending injury he would have been the starter again at least for part of a season.

However, I loved Haywoode.

Acutally U.B. if your still reading this what is your opinion of Workman?

I can't tell if he really fits the mold of either of us as a p.g. but I know I loved his heart & his absolute burning desire on the defensive end.

Unclebuck
08-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Haywoode Workman

I really wouldn't consider Haywoode a non-productive Pacer at all. He was a starter. Then he was the first guard off of the bench & then if it wasn't for a career ending injury he would have been the starter again at least for part of a season.

However, I loved Haywoode.

Acutally U.B. if your still reading this what is your opinion of Workman?

I can't tell if he really fits the mold of either of us as a p.g. but I know I loved his heart & his absolute burning desire on the defensive end.

There were so many reasons why the Pacers became the team they did in 1994. IMO the Pacers teams from 1991 through 1993 had more talent (sure it was young and inexperienced) than they did in 1994.

Workman was one of the main reasons why the pacers became a championship contender in 1994. He was not a highly skilled player, but he was great defensively and he brought a spirit and an attitude that permeated the whole team. His teammates loved Woody. Sure his shooting was not that good, and yes he got a little out of control and a little too excited at times, but he played so hard.

Peck you should know by now that I love players who play hard every second they are on the floor and Woody certainly did that.

I also think that the most important defensive player on a team is the point guard. If he cannot control the other teams point guard then the whiole team defense breaks down and Woody was excellent defensively.

I still remember in game #1 of the Magic series in 1994 Woody had 7 steals and completely controlled a very young Hardaway.

I still remember in 1994 near the midway point of the season that Pooh Richardson was a much more skilled point guard, but for whatever reason the pacers played much better when Woody was on the floor.

Bball
08-19-2004, 11:36 AM
Workman...
Didn't Haywoode make a comeback somewhere else and play a season after the Pacers let him go following his recovery period?

-Bball

Hicks
08-19-2004, 11:54 AM
I think he played for Milwaukee in either 99 or 2000

pollardfreek
08-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Gotta be Scotty P.

naptown
08-19-2004, 02:45 PM
Some great names mentioned already....but I am torn between Corky Calhoun and Randy Wittman.

Runners up: Sidney Lowe, Kyle Macy and Kenny Williams.....man could that guy jump.

MagicRat
08-19-2004, 02:50 PM
Greg Dreiling should've started ahead of Smits (at least for some certain period in time)....

Vicious Tyrant
08-19-2004, 02:52 PM
Speaking of Kenny Williams, I remember one time he got some garbage time against the Cavs and leapt about a mile into the air to jam the ball down right over Craig Ehlo. He was so high in the air, his crotch smacked into Ehlo's face. Before running back down the court, he said something to Ehlo.

When Kenny was asked after the game what he said to Ehlo, he said "I asked him how that tasted."

Low marks for sportsmanship, but that comment still cracks me up to this day.:laugh:

Skaut_Ech
08-19-2004, 07:17 PM
POLLARDFREAK!!

Excellent pic under your name. I hate reality TV, but that show is so cleverly subversive and knowing that I can't help but love it. And those clueless kids can't even figure out they're being jacked with.